Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Performance/Lag problems on Mac post 19.2.2

Hi! Same issues as the others here

- What is your type of Mac : Macbook pro 15" 2015 ( Mojave 10.14.1), 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram (DDR3)
- What resolution is your system running in?  1440x900 fullscreen
- Does it always lag during a match? E V E R Y W H E R E (UI,matches,etc....) it's unplayable at this moment.
- What graphics quality level (low, medium, high etc) do you run in? The game is slow even with low settings and 2D cam in matches
- Have you encountered any other lag/performance issue outside of the match? Same as before, UI very slow, drag/drop latency, fans working really hard to cooldown cpu btw.
- Are you running any other programs at the same time? Of course not.

Révélation

:'(

Edited by Nonobs

- What is your type of Mac? Macbook Pro 13" Late 2016, Mojave 10.14.2, i5, 2Ghz, 8GB Ram, Iris 540.
- What resolution is your system running in? 1440x900 Retina display
- Are you running FM in full screen or windowed mode? full screen
- Does it always lag during a match? Always, with fans going crazy. Game is playable but really annoying. Before the latest patch worked like a charm.
- What graphics quality level (low, medium, high etc) do you run in? Does this happen in other settings? Does it happen in both 2D and 3D? Medium / Yes / I ONLY use 2D.
- Have you encountered any other lag/performance issue outside of the match? No, only during the match.
- Are you running any other programs at the same time? Absolutely not.

Edited by LolloViola

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) running Mojave 10.14.2

- Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

- Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

- Resolution: Fullscreen 1280x800

- It lags and stutters continously during the match (only using 2D mode) - unplayable status.

- Interface outside the match seems to be okay.

- I don't run any other programs during the game. I tried it with and without an internet browser and the lag is the same.

It is extremely frustrating and disappointing because the game is simply not playable as many users already mentioned.

What I always was wondering - when I turn on "Use Retina Display" the MacBook totally overheats already within the interface (outside the match even), so I can always only use it without Retina Display. Is this normal or can this be fixed anyhow?

I hope you can fix this soon! Many thanks!

Edited by AdamThade

Sadly having the same issues as everyone else since the update. I can relay that every aspect of the game from squad selection to viewing matches (both 2d and 3d) are incredibly slow and glitchy. 

I am running the attached display settings. Normally used to the cooling fan coming on during games and can handle that - However it's now running constantly. Please let me know if I can provide more information. 

Looking forward to a resolution to this. 

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 12.45.37.png

Screenshot 2019-01-27 at 12.51.22.png

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), running 10,14.2
  • Low Resolution
  • Full Screen
  • Always lags during matches, even if the resolution is dropped down. I play with 3D but lags on both 2D and 3D.
  • Outside of the match scenario the general navigation around menus etc. seems slower than usual, as does loading. The 3D generated image of my manager also lags around the screen on the homepage.
  • The problem persists even with all other programs closed.

I hope this helps in some way and the issues can be resolved asap.

As a long term maniac of the game, I really cannot understand how it is possible that in 2019 such an evident issue on practically 100% of Mac users (at least for all those writing here!) was not identified and avoided during the testing of the last patch.

5 hours ago, LolloViola said:

As a long term maniac of the game, I really cannot understand how it is possible that in 2019 such an evident issue on practically 100% of Mac users (at least for all those writing here!) was not identified and avoided during the testing of the last patch.

I am quite curious to know how many people in the si offices play the game on Mac. Miles doesn’t seem to think it’s as widespread as we think (granted all of us are only here because the game is broken for us):

From Twitter:

Hi Chris - whilst we know some Mac users are having problems and we're looking to fix the issue (possibly alongside Apple), it's not true to say "nobody with Mac can play". I believe it's something to do with the latest Mac update - but our forums have more info.

Its unheard that they haven't responded or atleast give us some sort of update. Also the fact that they say that it is not true that nobody with Mac can play, I haven't heard a single person yet saying on the forum they can play like pre update. Obviously they won't browse the technical issue forum but this problem has been posted many times in the general forum aswell and not a single Mac user has stated that the game is playing normally.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2015)

macOS Mojave version 10.14.2

Processer:  2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 1600 1536 MB

Full screen 1280 x 800

I run in full screen. Low graphics, retina turned off.  I've tried with retina on and in windowed mode and the results are always the same - extreme lag and unbearable fan noise. There was absolutely no problems before the update, the fans didn't ever make a noise and the game was very smooth.

Run match 2D only.

Clicks are not as responsive throughout and the fans are constantly loud during the whole game but especially so during a match. The lag is unplayable in 2D match mode so tried commentary only, but still very laggy.

No other programs running, again tested with programs running and without and usually the same results.

Been a FM/Champ Manager player for over 20 years and it's really disappointing that one update can cause so many issues and stop people from being able to play. Massive fan of you guys so I'm just desperate for this to be fixed - are you any close to finding out what has gone wrong?

Macbook Pro (15 inch, 2016) - Mojave 10.14.2.

2,6 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz

Radeon Pro 450 2048 MB / Intel HD Graphics 530 1536MB

What resolution is your system running in? 1440 x 900 resolution

- Are you running FM in full screen or windowed mode? Full Screen

- Does it always lag during a match? Yes.

- What graphics quality level (low, medium, high etc) do you run in? Does this happen in other settings? Does it happen in both 2D and 3D?  Yes, it happens in both 2D and 3D. 

- Have you encountered any other lag/performance issue outside of the match? The game is more slow after last update. 

- Are you running any other programs at the same time? Does the lag get worse if you interact with separate programs (say a web browser) whilst running the game? The lag is the same when there are no other applications open in the background as when there are a few of them in use.

I love the thinly veiled attempt at suggesting Apple could be responsible for this “ we're looking to fix the issue (possibly alongside Apple)

The onus is on the developer to test their latest pre-release version of the app on all versions of macOS (especially the latest one) before releasing an update.

Miles would be best served educating himself on the issue before tweeting about it.

Jesus, why they can't bring back the version before the update to let us play? 10 years ago when some game was releasing, it didn't have any updates. Why? Because, it was working! Now, you are fixing some issues and making another issues... 

On 23/01/2019 at 13:46, Neil Brock said:

What is your type of Mac (Macbook, iMac, Macbook Air etc), what year is it from and what operating system are you running in? Macbook Pro, 2011, 2.3GHz, intel core i5, macOs Sierra

What resolution is your system running in? scaled 

Are you running FM in full screen or windowed mode? Full screen

Does it always lag during a match? yes slightly

What graphics quality level (low, medium, high etc) do you run in? Low

Does this happen in other settings? No

Does it happen in both 2D and 3D? 2D

Have you encountered any other lag/performance issue outside of the match? during a game it will crash & ask to send a report unexpectedly 

Are you running any other programs at the same time? No

Does the lag get worse if you interact with separate programs (say a web browser) whilst running the game? No

What is your type of Mac (Macbook, iMac, Macbook Air etc), what year is it from and what operating system are you running in?   Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)  processor  3.2 GHz Intel core i5, memory 8GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB        

- Are you running FM in full screen or windowed mode?                   Full screen 
- Does it always lag during a match?                                It never used too but always does now
- What graphics quality level (low, medium, high etc) do you run in? Does this happen in other settings? Does it happen in both 2D and 3D?                             Very high and 3D, I've turned it down to medium and it is better
- Have you encountered any other lag/performance issue outside of the match? If so, please describe                     none
- Are you running any other programs at the same time? Does the lag get worse if you interact with separate programs (say a web browser) whilst running the game?                  no

Edited by M.D

MacBook Pro 15inch late 2013

2GHz intel i7

8GB 1600MHz DDR2

Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

Mojave 10.14

Running in windowed mode, Retina display

Match engine very stuttery in both 2D and 3D, not noticeably worse when doing browsing etc...

Seems to affecting things outside of ME too - processing during transfer windows slower and causes fans to spin-up (I know transfer windows are more intensive anyway, but never really had the fans spin-up outside of playing a match before)

iMac (4k, 21.5-inch, 2017) running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3

Specs: 3.4 GHZ Intel Core i5, Radeon Pro 560

Running FM in windowed mode, Retina Display

Graphics Quality is Medium and 3D

After the 19.2.2 update, the match engine is super laggy. Even the drop down calendar when hitting the ‘Continue’ button has a laggy effect.

Edited by Ed08

I posted my MacBook details last week. After reading that some pre-Mojave Macs were working fine, I installed FM 19.2.2 on my 2009 iMac running El Capitan. It runs perfectly on it. I can say that FM 19.2.1 was running fine on Mojave 10.14.2 Macbook pre-FM patch.

1 hour ago, rbarritt said:

I posted my MacBook details last week. After reading that some pre-Mojave Macs were working fine, I installed FM 19.2.2 on my 2009 iMac running El Capitan. It runs perfectly on it. I can say that FM 19.2.1 was running fine on Mojave 10.14.2 Macbook pre-FM patch.

Thanks, that’s helpful to know. I wonder why SI didn’t think to test on the most recent macOS?!

27 minuti fa, RedDevil5 ha scritto:

Back to FM18 for me. 

For me, instead, FM 16 :rolleyes:

Shouldn't have to go back to a previous version just because SI didn't bother to test the update properly.   What I don't understand is why a minor update is so difficult to correct - if not much was changed, then surely it shouldn't be that difficult to trace what went wrong?   Failing that why not revert to the previous version while they sort it out - I haven't seen anything from SI to say why they won't do this.   Suspect that because it's only Mac users affected that resources are being put into the final patch (early March) rather than bothering with this.   I do feel that SI's response and explanation has been poor.   For once the game really is unplayable, and SI's response has been indifference.  Will have to consider whether to continue my longstanding purchase of CM/FM is sensible in future if support for Mac is going to be so poor that a) they don't test it properly; and b) they don't sort it when it goes wrong.   Maybe the Mac version isn't financially worthwhile for SI? 

From the Official fm account on Twitter:

“This issue isn't effecting all Mac users, which is the cause for confusion and the reason we're struggling to pinpoint the problem. We're hoping to have a fix as soon as possible and will update you when we have issued this”

“Heya, as mentioned previously, the team are working very hard to understand the cause of this issue. We believe it is due to a Mac update, rather than an FM update and as soon as we are aware of the nature of the issue, we will update you all.”

I could’ve sworn that I’ve been on the latest macOS version even pre patch and things were fine. It can’t possibly be that they’re testing the game on macs that aren’t on the latest macOS version. Surely not?

Edited by Riziger

Hi, the game for him is almost unplayable, it was great before the update. It is mostly the 3D engine that is lagging even on very low graphics. 

- What is your type of Mac:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

- What resolution is your system running in? 1440 x 900

- Are you running FM in full screen or windowed mode? Full Screen

- Does it always lag during a match? Yes

- What graphics quality level (low, medium, high etc) do you run in? Very low

- Have you encountered any other lag/performance issue outside of the match? No

- Are you running any other programs at the same time? Only FM is running.

I hope this will be fixed soon. Thanks a lot in advance.

6 minutes ago, Riziger said:

From the Official fm account on Twitter:

“This issue isn't effecting all Mac users, which is the cause for confusion and the reason we're struggling to pinpoint the problem. We're hoping to have a fix as soon as possible and will update you when we have issued this”

“Heya, as mentioned previously, the team are working very hard to understand the cause of this issue. We believe it is due to a Mac update, rather than an FM update and as soon as we are aware of the nature of the issue, we will update you all.”

I could’ve sworn that I’ve been on the latest macOS version even pre patch and things were fine. It can’t possibly be that they’re testing the game on macs that aren’t on the latest macOS version. Surely not?

Looking at the release dates in here, 10.14.2 (the one most people are reporting problems with) was released in December. I am ABSOLUTELY certain I played pre-update FM19 on that no worries.

It does also say 10.14.3 is now out - however, my computer isn't giving me the option to upgrade to that yet. So I do think SI are barking up the wrong tree when they say they think the Apple update caused the problem as most people reporting issues don't have that update yet.

So, as I said on Twitter, I don't believe that SI are listening to us properly, unfortunately, and are going down this rabbit warren of thinking Mojave 10.14.3 is to blame when most of us don't even have that yet.

MacBook Air, 13-inch, mid-2012 Mojave 10.14.2

1440x900

Full Screen

Yes

High, but have tried on every other setting bar V. High. 2D is easier on the eyes but the lag is still there.

No, first thing I did when discovering the lag was to quit everything. Safari seems marginally slower when FM is running in the background, but no other apps are affected and opening them doesn't make the lag in FM any worse. 

Still nothing? Getting ridiculous now. Surely the update should be tested thoroughly before release on all platforms. 

Macbook Air 11-inch, Mid 2012 Mojave 10.14.2

1.7 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

1366 x 768

Windowed

Yes, quite considerably since the update

Lag during the match preview screen whilst picking team, but again this is only since the update.

No, only FM is running.

Many thanks, hope this is fixed ASAP.

Been lurking in this thread all weekend. Same story, ran perfectly until the patch.

--

Macbook Pro 13-inch 2018. 

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDDR3

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

Likewise, been taking a glance at this to see if solution eventually found...

MacBook Air 13inch early 2014

Processor 1.4GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1600MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536MB

Full Screen

Yes, it lags

High Graphics (but have tried all, and it still lags)

Yes, player search and staff search seems slow. As do Press Conferences.

Only running FM

1 hour ago, itszamora said:

Looking at the release dates in here, 10.14.2 (the one most people are reporting problems with) was released in December. I am ABSOLUTELY certain I played pre-update FM19 on that no worries.

It does also say 10.14.3 is now out - however, my computer isn't giving me the option to upgrade to that yet. So I do think SI are barking up the wrong tree when they say they think the Apple update caused the problem as most people reporting issues don't have that update yet.

So, as I said on Twitter, I don't believe that SI are listening to us properly, unfortunately, and are going down this rabbit warren of thinking Mojave 10.14.3 is to blame when most of us don't even have that yet.

To continue to do SI's job for them - I have now upgraded to Mojave 10.14.3 and the problems are exactly the same. So blaming MacOS updates needs to stop, and actually fixing or rolling back your game to make it usable needs to start.

5 minutes ago, davecrossley said:

If we can’t get a fix and immatediately, what I as well as everyone else that are experiencing the same issues would appreciate is just a quick update as to where we are, what’s happening and even, dare we ask for it, an apology?

Is all of the above too much to ask for?

Given SI's form on this to date, that does appear to be far too much to ask for, yes.

I would recommend you who have a retina screen to turn off the retina screen-option in the game while waiting for the fix. I experienced the annoying lag as well but when I turned it off it runs as smoothly as ever before. 

2 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Okay we've rolled out a potential fix via our Public Beta, so if you move over to this following the instructions from the first post of this thread, you should see improvements - https://community.sigames.com/topic/465780-performancelag-problems-on-mac-post-1922/

Please let us know how you get on either way. Thanks. 

Thank you for the update, Neil. I’ll give it a go this evening and report back.

I installed the beta and tried it.

Now it's smooth again, both 2d and 3d!

Actually, I think it's much smoother than before.

I hope there are no other bugs.

Thanks!

Edited by Jas80

Does this mean that everything you do in the new beta won't carry over to the original game?  Or does it mean that you need to keep playing the beta once you started until the retail game gets updated to let it carry over

2 minutes ago, Jeff7 said:

Does this mean that everything you do in the new beta won't carry over to the original game?  Or does it mean that you need to keep playing the beta once you started until the retail game gets updated to let it carry over

Once enough users have confirmed the fix is working we'll look to update the retail code to exactly the same version meaning you can continue your game back on the retail version. But if you want to stay on the public beta you'll be fine to carry on your save too.  

After switching to the public beta the game is back to normal and running as smooth as it did before hand 

Downloaded the new Beta version, I've played a couple of matches and the lag has disappeared from all areas of my game, looks to be back to normal.

Im glad that the beta seems to work. However I still not fully understand but maybe its because English is not my first language.

From what I understand is that every progress you make in the beta does not carry over to the retail game, unlesss you decide to keep playing the beta forever right?

Or does the save from the beta automatically carry over to the retail game once the update for the retail game comes out?

1 minute ago, Jeff7 said:

Im glad that the beta seems to work. However I still not fully understand but maybe its because English is not my first language.

From what I understand is that every progress you make in the beta does not carry over to the retail game, unlesss you decide to keep playing the beta forever right?

Or does the save from the beta automatically carry over to the retail game once the update for the retail game comes out?

It will be fine, you will be able to continue in either version once we update the retail version to 19.2.3 - which we hope will be soon.

Thanks. 

Just now, Neil Brock said:

It will be fine, you will be able to continue in either version once we update the retail version to 19.2.3 - which we hope will be soon.

Thanks. 

Thanks Neil