Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Performance/Lag problems on Mac post 19.2.2

We've just updated the Public Beta version on Mac to 19.2.3 which contains a potential fix to address lagging/performance issues. To access this version please read the instructions below:

The game code within the public beta will be ahead of the retail version and will contain certain fixes and improvements to the game which will still be in testing. This may be stability fixes, bug fixes, match engine improvements, essentially anything which can be addressed by an update in game.

It’s entirely opt-in, the only thing to bear in mind is that it will be later code, (say 19.2.3 rather than 19.2.2) so if you save your save game in the public beta, you will only be able to load this same save in the public beta until the retail version is updated.

We would always recommend backing up any save games prior to joining the public beta. Save games can be found in the following location by default:

On Mac - /Users/[Your Mac Username]/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2019/games

The public-beta version of the game is available via Steam by following the instruction below.

- Open Steam
- Go to 'Football Manager 2019' within your Steam Library
- Right-Click on the game and select 'Properties'
- Select the 'Beta' tab
- Via the 'Select the beta you would like to opt into' dropdown, select 'public beta'
- Click 'Close'

Upon launching the game, the improvements should be active. 

Edited by Neil Brock
Edited now fix has been released

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

macOS Mojave version 10.14.3

Processer:  2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

I run in full screen. Low graphics, retina turned off. 

Run match 2D only.

A little jumpy and not smooth at all (as it previously was before the update).

Fan noise during every match and during processing between match days (again, was not getting this before the update).

No other programs running.

I will add ... the fan noise is like it is was when you have Retina display turned on in the preferences, only you don't.  

Mojave 10.14.3

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

1440 x 900 Res

I always run in windowed mode

Have tried retina on and off, no difference

2D & 3D in matches ( have tried commentary only as well), all super slow and jittery

It's very laggy and not only during matches but during all gameplay, everything is much less responsive than before the 19.2.2 update

Fan noise a lot louder and pretty much constant after the update until I turned retina display off

Edited by carlos78

Mojave 10.14.2

iMac 21 inch Retina display, mid 2017

3.4 GHz intel core i5

8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon pro 560 4096 MB

Res

I've ran in both windowed and full screen - No difference. Same with turning retina display on and off.

2D & 3D are both equally poor.

Not only during matches but during menus as well.

Have looked into ways to revert back to 19.2.1 but there seems to be no way.

MacBook Pro 2018  (13-inch, Two Usb C Ports)

macOS Mojave version 10.14.2

Processer:  2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

all graphics levels attempted , retina turned on , Full Screen , 2560 x 1600

Attempted to play 3d and 2d , both unplayable

Edited by ronaldinosa

Hi Guys !

MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, early 2015
2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 Go 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 Mo
MacOS Mojave 10.14.2

I play on full Screen 1680 x 1050 using retina mode and zoom x200%
It always lag during a match
Low level graphics, 3D and 2D: a lot of lag
Little lag during reading inbox
No other programs running

Macbook Pro 2013, Mojave 10.14.2 

Intel Iris 1536 MB graphics

Resolution - Default as display 

Full screen mode

Always lags during a match and even on the menu - pretty much unplayable right now. 

Graphics set to lowest possible, lag on both 2D and 3D

I had a bit of lag in scouting which wasn't great, but i assume this was down to my large database (80k players)

Only run spotify, but that was fine before the update - have tried running it with no other applications open and has no effect. 

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz 

exactly the same with me.

got a brand new computer when I got this game and it was running fine 5 star graphics and match play was smooth.

since the update the match play is laggy, fan going full blast. 

the game has become unplayable

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), macOS Mojave 10.14.2

Intel HD Graphics 4000 (1280x800)

Full screen mode

It always lags during a match (both 2D and 3D) at mid level and low level settings.
It also lags in menu and during processing.
Before the 19.2.2 update it works very well.

No other programs running

Model Name: Macbook Pro (15 inch, Late 2013)

Running Mojave 10.14.2

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 - Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Running in Full Screen usually, but attempted Windowed to see if anything improved - it didn't.

Never had any issues until today, where it's noticeable sluggish, not just during Matches but every single screen really, menus are hard to navigate and the fans are constant. I've always ran it on High Quality, utilising 3D and with Safari (and other things sometimes) running in the background and have never had any issues with it, or if I have I've simply closed out of something else and it improves... but I've tried everything, including lowering quality and quitting every other application, and its still basically unplayable.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) Mojave 10.14.2
2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB - 500GB SSD.

After the update, it's lagging everywhere.
Running in Windowed mode in an external monitor with 2560x1080.
I've always run it at medium level. In the FM2018 the 3d performance was generally better than in 2019. Since the 19 release, i've been watching matches in Data Analyst view as it was the only 3d camera that did not lag. Apart from that i've been able to play ok until the 19.2.2 update. It's worth mention that in the 19.2.1 I was also experiencing some big lag when changing parameters searching for player or staff.
It's the same playing with other programs opended or not.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) Mohave 10.14.2 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Lag causing game play to be intolerable. Did notice some lag even with the login screen, processing timeline as well. I was not having any issues before today's patch.

Run in Full Screen (1440 x 900) with Use Retina Display checked. Match 3d with high graphics quality. Fresh machine reboot with no other programs running.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) 

Running; macOS Mojave, version 10.14.3 

Processor; 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5 

Memory; 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 

Graphics; Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Resolution; 1440 x 900 

Since the update it lags during every match. I have tried all manor of graphic levels ranging from the lowest to the highest level. I have also played the game in both 2D and 3D across different graphic levels and experienced the same lag and stuttering. 

The menus and other elements outside the game play also are effected since the update. The biggest one I have noticed is team talks & press conferences. It’s extremely slow to respond to me trying to select what and how I want to say things. 

Background programs are very jumpy and slow to respond while Football Manager is running. As soon as I shut the game down the Mac runs at full speed without any issues again. 

Macbook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2014)

Running macOS Mojave, version 10.14.2

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB Graphics

Full Screen 1440 x 900 Resolution

Have problem both 2D and 3D. It's very laggy and unplayable.

I' ve never had any problem until this update. I didn't understand what happened in this update..

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

1680 x 1050 Retina Full Screen

It's lagging during the match but also everywhere else, including the main screen where you can see your manager's body.

I used to run it recommended and in 2D, but after the issues I switched to low and very low, and it's still the same, choppy. Same with 3D.

The entire game feels broken. Everything is just super choppy, very low fps. Everything takes a second to register. Even just running my mouse cursor up and down my squad list, the 'hover highlight' takes a moment to appear. Before the update, it wasn't SUPER quick but it was never this bad. The cooling fans are also now constantly on full blast. I've done everything in the FAQs, even set match details to minimum and removed some leagues to the point my game speed is rated at 4.5 stars. Same thing. Laggy.

Turned everything off. Weirdly, when I opened Safari, it calmed it down a little and the game became a tad more responsive. Still broken, but a little more responsive.

MacBook Air mid 2013 

running the latest Mojave software 

1.3ghz 4GB ram 120gb hard drive intel I5 

run the game on graphics set as recommended for my computer no other programs running, the lag was really affecting the 2D game play and not making it as smooth as it was the previous day before the update

So, 

- Macbook Air 13-inch, 2017, 8gb 1600 mhz ddr3. MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, intel hd graphics 6000 1536 MB.
- 1440x900
- Full screen
- lag a little bit
- 2D, full low
- my mac's fan is going so crazy and noisy in squad view. When i'm playing in 2D match, i have to quit (cmd +q) soon after, because i am afraid of my mac's core...
- No, I'm not running any other programs.

Edited by Vapo2142

58 minutes ago, Hugo Mendes Albino said:

Hey guys,

We are aware of the issue and we are working towards a fix.

Thank you for your patience,

Hugo

What sort of timescale?

I guess if we delete the game then reinstall because its a digital game it will just install to 19.2.2 rather than letting us untick auto update and stepping up to 19.2.1 ?

\

Not sure of all exact specs (not at home), but:

13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, mid-2014

Mojave - most recent version as far as I know

8gb RAM

Intel Iris 1536mb

Full screen mode, 3D. Fairly low graphics settings but ran smoothly prior to this update, is now basically unwatchable as it is so jittery.

———————

I appreciate you can’t provide an exact timescale, but can you give us a rough indication? Are we talking hours, days, weeks, months? Is re-releasing the prior update an option?

It is your failure to test and QA this update properly that has rendered your product broadly unusable for a number of your paying customers, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask roughly when you will have restored it to a usable, saleable state.

Should have added, I generally have Steam (obvs) and iTunes running. Switched off iTunes, no difference.

I have issues since the update, my engine is always running loudly and my match lags even though I use 2D and it was fine before the update.

- MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)  macOS Mojave 10.14

- 1.8GHz Intel Core i5 

- 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

- Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

- 1440x900

- Full screen mode and always lags during match in 2D and I run low graphics quality for all

- Only match lagging, but mac engine very loud and hot whenever I open FM

- I dont run any other programs

1 hour ago, itszamora said:

Not sure of all exact specs (not at home), but:

13-inch Retina MacBook Pro, mid-2014

Mojave - most recent version as far as I know

8gb RAM

Intel Iris 1536mb

Full screen mode, 3D. Fairly low graphics settings but ran smoothly prior to this update, is now basically unwatchable as it is so jittery.

———————

I appreciate you can’t provide an exact timescale, but can you give us a rough indication? Are we talking hours, days, weeks, months? Is re-releasing the prior update an option?

It is your failure to test and QA this update properly that has rendered your product broadly unusable for a number of your paying customers, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask roughly when you will have restored it to a usable, saleable state.

More precise system info here. Oddly, goal replays seem to display fine - nice and smooth. But everything else in the match engine is horrific. Not noticed any great deal of wider UI slowdown - possibly a bit, but nothing anywhere near as drastic as in the match engine.

Screenshot 2019-01-24 at 17.56.54.png

3 hours ago, itszamora said:

Couldn't agree more on this point! 

So typical of game developers to ignore Mac users...

3 ore fa, itszamora ha scritto:

2 minuti fa, LucasDRA ha scritto:

Couldn't agree more on this point! 

So typical of game developers to ignore Mac users...

I agree too.
Mac users are always ignored!

I’m not sure we’re being ignored, they are working on it. Of course, they shouldn’t have F’ed it up in the first place, and I do agree that if this were to have happened to a darling YouTuber, people would be surged on to the fix 24/7. Which I’m pretty sure they’re not.

- What is your type of Mac - MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB 
- What resolution is your system running in? Default for display (looks like 1440 x 900)
- Are you running FM in full screen or windowed mode? - Full screen
- Does it always lag during a match? - Yes
- What graphics quality level (low, medium, high etc) do you run in? Does this happen in other settings? Does it happen in both 2D and 3D? I only use 2D. It happens on all settings from low to very high.
- Have you encountered any other lag/performance issue outside of the match? I have only noticed it during the gameplay in a match 
- Are you running any other programs at the same time? Does the lag get worse if you interact with separate programs (say a web browser) whilst running the game? The lag is the same when there are no other applications open in the background as when there are a few of them in use.

1 hour ago, ronaldinosa said:

if this happened to the 'Content Creators' this problem would have been solved by now . Because Mac users don't help sell their game priority is low

It really is a poor experience for us normal people!

a lame apology will be the only thing to come out the back off this aggravation! 

29 minutes ago, Good92 said:

It really is a poor experience for us normal people!

a lame apology will be the only thing to come out the back off this aggravation! 

not after an apology , but its poor practice , as previously mentioned , to release an update that they clearly haven't fully tested . Doesn't reflect well on them. 

Still they'll probably pull a couple of creators in , chuck some photos and money at them , and everything will be ok again .... 

Hey guys,

I completely understand your frustrations, it is natural considering you are unable to play the game.

However, I can assure you that we are working hard towards finding a fix, we just ask for your patience as these problems are often complicated and may take a while to fix.

The fix is not always as easy as it may seem so we ask for your support.

Please continue leaving your specs as this information could be useful to us,

Cheers,

Hugo

Why can't you just release the pre update file for us to download so we can at least continue playing while you do better tests with the new update file. 

19.2.2 Changelist

- Fixed issue whereby game could have stability issues in hotseat/multiple user manager saves
- Addressed problem related to minimum wages in French leagues being too high (requires new save)

These are the changes you made, I think 99% of us prefer to play with a pre update file than waiting for a fix with no timeline on the horizon

29 minutes ago, Jeff7 said:

Why can't you just release the pre update file for us to download so we can at least continue playing while you do better tests with the new update file. 

19.2.2 Changelist

- Fixed issue whereby game could have stability issues in hotseat/multiple user manager saves
- Addressed problem related to minimum wages in French leagues being too high (requires new save)

These are the changes you made, I think 99% of us prefer to play with a pre update file than waiting for a fix with no timeline on the horizon

This is a joke now. 

Why are we not able to remove the patch or redownload an unpatched version? Pathetic.

1 hour ago, Hugo Mendes Albino said:

Hey guys,

I completely understand your frustrations, it is natural considering you are unable to play the game.

However, I can assure you that we are working hard towards finding a fix, we just ask for your patience as these problems are often complicated and may take a while to fix.

Cheers,

Hugo

As others have said, this isn’t complicated. Just re-release the previous version if actually fixing it is so tricky.

+MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), Mojave 10.14.2

+ Full Screen, 1280 x 800

+ Always lags during match since the update. Also some delay in the rest of the game between clicking and action occurring. Even the graphics when loading the game from the start screen stuttered.

+ Usually run all graphics on medium, but switched to low to try to overcome stuttering. This produced a slight improvement, but the game was still almost unplayable. Stuttering still happens in 2D.

+ Lag was not noticeably worse with Safari running, but that may be an artifact of the lag being so bad to begin with.

5 hours ago, Hugo Mendes Albino said:

Hey guys,

Cheers,

Hugo

Hopefully you will learn from this experience and test your updates on both PC and MAC BEFORE releasing . So far its been three days which , imho , its unacceptable . 

1 hour ago, dieter8702 said:

Same issue, no more FM for now. I hate Apple.

Blame SI not Apple

Any form of timeframe for a fix for this?

i wholly appreciate the work the work that goes in to making, maintaining and patching the game but as has been stated before me, the game is drastically unplayable currently.

Edited by davecrossley

Hi again. I think that it will take a long period. So, if it's "possible", could you please release the pre update version? 

10 hours ago, dieter8702 said:

Same issue, no more FM for now. I hate Apple.

Apple has the most stable operating system out there , the blame is purely with SI and there lack of respect to Apple users resulting in the release of an unavoidable update which ruins the game. 

Four days now , I cannot believe it would have taken this long if it was a problem with PC's

While I share everybody's frustrations, I don't think it is just a case over rolling back the update. I mean, can you imagine how complicated that would be? The update has been added to the game – you can't simply remove it again. What I am frustrated with, as I mentioned in an earlier post, is the lack of depth in testing and/or the neglect of Mac users. I also agree with others that further communications from SI would be good, especially since we can't even play the game at the moment.  

Edited by Gundo