Out numbering opposition in an unusual place - IDEA/DISCUSSION

So its common place for sides to play three centre backs to out number the oppositions two strikers. Or three central midfielders to out number the oppositions two midfielders. Even to an extent using two wide players (4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, etc) to out number the oppositions one (4-3-1-2, 3-5-2, 5-3-2, etc). Simply I've had an idea mainly regarding the 3v2, which is normally used centrally, but this time created out wide in a shape like this: 

20190119_175158.thumb.jpg.a95c187a0acdb1338d7072cf5be57423.jpgor maybe a 3 at the back variant with the left attacking mid being replaced by an extra centre back. And then maybe roles like this:20190119_175209.thumb.jpg.80f057bc62c2173134e3ac2d04ee3ff3.jpg Again though I'm only guessing and want others thoughts on this concept.

44 minutes ago, VinceLombardi said:

It creates very interesting options in attack, but care will be needed on defense as the 3 out wide will leave you short elsewhere.

That was my only concern

I dabbled with the shape I suggested in the last 20 minutes of a cup tie earlier. We didn't seem too exposed anywhere. However the wide 3 did seem very on top of eachother. Getting the roles right would/will be nigh on impossible

7 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

However the wide 3 did seem very on top of eachother. Getting the roles right would/will be nigh on impossible

Try AMR-IF (a); MR-W (s), gets further forward, sits wider; DR - FB (s), sits narrower (and maybe hold position). Then make the CM on that side a BBM (s) to tie them all together.

It should make a bit of a diamond shape in transition, and then in the final third the AML dives into the box while the winger keeps on the sideline. This should challenge the wide defender as he is essentially tasked with covering them both.

Meanwhile the BBM will keep the opposing midfielder from drifting wide to help. And the FB should work as a pivot/holding midfielder in the halfspace to both screen the defense on the counter and act as a outlet to recycle possession.

Outnumbering players in different areas on the pitch is done by roles and duties, it’s not hard to do. You just need to evaluate each transition and think about it.

In defence I always want to have the extra man, when the ball get to midfield and attack, the same thing. 

Understandbly you are going to have issues in a quick transition. For example if you play a 4141 you can have 3 or 7 players in a defensive transition and 3 players in a quick attack to defense transition. You can also have 7 players in a defense to midfield transition.

Its all about roles and duties.

12 hours ago, VinceLombardi said:

Try AMR-IF (a); MR-W (s), gets further forward, sits wider; DR - FB (s), sits narrower (and maybe hold position). Then make the CM on that side a BBM (s) to tie them all together.

It should make a bit of a diamond shape in transition, and then in the final third the AML dives into the box while the winger keeps on the sideline. This should challenge the wide defender as he is essentially tasked with covering them both.

Meanwhile the BBM will keep the opposing midfielder from drifting wide to help. And the FB should work as a pivot/holding midfielder in the halfspace to both screen the defense on the counter and act as a outlet to recycle possession.

Sounds really good. Might try it in my next cup tie or when I get desperate in the league, which being as my Osnabruck side have been hit with injuries might not be a million miles away.

5 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Its all about roles and duties.

Yes I understand that and I feared this would be how my thread would be responded - I am not saying you are wrong because you aren't, quite the opposite in fact, just perhaps as is quite understandable we are not on the same page at present. I'm well aware of how/when to use roles and duties to make formations change "shape" in the past and have done it well-ish across all the FMs Ive played. However, the re-emergence of the 4-4-2 with sides like Atletico and 15/16 Leicester using it to success got my thinking about why it disappeared. And I feel that is due to the emergence of the 4-3-3 and other shapes with 3 in central midfield that dominated them offensively and defensively. I'm merely thinking about rotating this concept through 90° and putting the 3v2 out in the wider area from the off, in a hope to reap mainly offensive, truth be told, but also the defensive rewards.

Archived