Tactical guidance

Hi everyone 

I'm doing ok with this version this year but I'm keeping things very simple with the tactics as my tiny brain can't get itself around every detail this year. 

I'm playing as the team I support, Brighton and I'm looking to create an expensive, free flowing tactic that as the club grows and better players come in its good to go. 

Mum thinking of the following but any help is appreciated! 4-2-3-1 formation with the following

Sweeper keeper

Wing backs A

ball playing cb

deep lying playmaker D

roaming playmaker s

inside forwards S

attacking midfielder A

andvanced forward A

whwre it comes unstuck is the team and individual instructions

can anyone help a brother out?

thanks in advance 

You want to play with a standard 4231 (with 2 MCs) or a deep version (with 2 DMs)?

Anyway, I think your setup of roles and duties is too aggressive and therefore defensively vulnerable (to say nothing of one-dimensionality of roles and duties).

On top of that, Brighton as a team IMO is not quite suited for that style of football. If I managed the "Seagulls", my preference would be a sort of more direct and simple counter-attacking tactic that relies primarily on tight and well-organized defense. But if your choice is to play the way you described (including the roles and duties), then good luck mate!

29 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

You want to play with a standard 4231 (with 2 MCs) or a deep version (with 2 DMs)?

Anyway, I think your setup of roles and duties is too aggressive and therefore defensively vulnerable (to say nothing of one-dimensionality of roles and duties).

On top of that, Brighton as a team IMO is not quite suited for that style of football. If I managed the "Seagulls", my preference would be a sort of more direct and simple counter-attacking tactic that relies primarily on tight and well-organized defense. But if your choice is to play the way you described (including the roles and duties), then good luck mate!

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of 2 standard cm rather than deeper. I agree that we're not really set up to play this way yet although some of the players fit the bill. 

It's more of a future project when the better players come in. 

Any suggestions on which roles to change to aid defensive vulnerability?

2 minutes ago, matty_boy said:

Any suggestions on which roles to change to aid defensive vulnerability?

Given that 4231 is a top-heavy formation, the roles generally need to be more conservative. For example, playing with two attacking wing-backs (role) in a system with no DM means asking for trouble. Of course, which specific roles and duties you should use for different position depends on the type and (relative) quality of the players in the starting 11. In a 4231 specifically, the 2 MCs are the backbone of the system, so you need to pay particular attention to how you are gonna setup them (your DLPd-RPMs combo is theoretically okay because one is a "holder" and the other is a "runner", but given that RPM is more of a free runner and in a way pretty much attack-minded, you need a more conservative fullback behind him as defensive cover). When it comes to the front four, you should look to have no more than 2 attack duties, which you actually did, the only problem is that these two are one behind the other (i.e. AMC and ST). My theory is that the two attack duties should be given to one central and one wide player (i.e. either AML or AMR and ST; either AML or AMR and AMC).

I'll now give you an example of how a well-balanced setup of roles and duties in a 4231 may look (it's not necessarily the one you should use, but just an idea for you to have in mind when creating the tactic):

PFatt

APMsu         AMsu           IFatt

CAR    DLPde

FBatt      CD      CD      WBsu

GK/SKde

When it comes to team and player instructions, it's really impossible to tell without having more knowledge about your team (because each team is different). But my general advice would be to try not to use too many team instructions for your starting tactic. Just define your basic style of play (passing and tempo.. do you want to use counter-attacks in transition or not). And be especially careful when setting up the out-of-possession (defensive) instructions - too aggressive settings could make your defense overly vulnerable to counter-attacks. Because when you use few instructions, you can easily add a couple more when you see fit. But when many of them are applied at the same time and your tactic does not work, it's much more difficult to find out which of the instructions are causing issues and should be removed or tweaked.

I started off with my BHA save with a modified version of Zona Mista! I managed to finish 10th! With that I got some decent buys, and managed to win the league on the next and with a slightly modified similar tactic again!

My first one

001.thumb.jpg.c36c85e270eed01d3509a3b797ad533b.jpg

Second One

002.thumb.jpg.1402a73a73c27e6e0f47965a221e5515.jpg

And this is the current tactic I am experimenting with the start of third season.

003.thumb.jpg.e9e245fa46393591358ce11afda7a565.jpg

Sorry I couldn't show the tactic with the players I played with old seasons. All the players are from current playing season.

My transfers! I know I am an a**hole of a business man! I will sell for any price if I somehow don't like a player! LoL

t1.thumb.jpg.25b49b9bb80657d5972d3385e6c6efec.jpg

t2.thumb.jpg.b8a58f9e683698828701aeb824e69efa.jpg

t3.thumb.jpg.69ea91e6a21768c859a274ed099b2edc.jpg

002.jpg

37 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Given that 4231 is a top-heavy formation, the roles generally need to be more conservative. For example, playing with two attacking wing-backs (role) in a system with no DM means asking for trouble. Of course, which specific roles and duties you should use for different position depends on the type and (relative) quality of the players in the starting 11. In a 4231 specifically, the 2 MCs are the backbone of the system, so you need to pay particular attention to how you are gonna setup them (your DLPd-RPMs combo is theoretically okay because one is a "holder" and the other is a "runner", but given that RPM is more of a free runner and in a way pretty much attack-minded, you need a more conservative fullback behind him as defensive cover). When it comes to the front four, you should look to have no more than 2 attack duties, which you actually did, the only problem is that these two are one behind the other (i.e. AMC and ST). My theory is that the two attack duties should be given to one central and one wide player (i.e. either AML or AMR and ST; either AML or AMR and AMC).

I'll now give you an example of how a well-balanced setup of roles and duties in a 4231 may look (it's not necessarily the one you should use, but just an idea for you to have in mind when creating the tactic):

PFatt

APMsu         AMsu           IFatt

CAR    DLPde

FBatt      CD      CD      WBsu

GK/SKde

When it comes to team and player instructions, it's really impossible to tell without having more knowledge about your team (because each team is different). But my general advice would be to try not to use too many team instructions for your starting tactic. Just define your basic style of play (passing and tempo.. do you want to use counter-attacks in transition or not). And be especially careful when setting up the out-of-possession (defensive) instructions - too aggressive settings could make your defense overly vulnerable to counter-attacks. Because when you use few instructions, you can easily add a couple more when you see fit. But when many of them are applied at the same time and your tactic does not work, it's much more difficult to find out which of the instructions are causing issues and should be removed or tweaked.

Outstanding mate thank you so much for the input

3 minutes ago, diimaan said:

I started off with my BHA save with a modified version of Zona Mista! I managed to finish 10th! With that I got some decent buys, and managed to win the league on the next and with a slightly modified similar tactic again!

My first one

001.thumb.jpg.c36c85e270eed01d3509a3b797ad533b.jpg

Second One

002.thumb.jpg.327fc32c589ee705d9f270cc2392003c.jpg

And this is the current tactic I am experimenting with the start of third season.

003.thumb.jpg.e9e245fa46393591358ce11afda7a565.jpg

Sorry I couldn't show the tactic with the players I played with old seasons. All the players are from current playing season.

My transfers! I know I am an a**hole of a business man! I will sell for any price if I somehow don't like a player! LoL

t1.thumb.jpg.25b49b9bb80657d5972d3385e6c6efec.jpg

t2.thumb.jpg.b8a58f9e683698828701aeb824e69efa.jpg

t3.thumb.jpg.69ea91e6a21768c859a274ed099b2edc.jpg

Thanks for the reply mate. Great to see other people taking the Albion to the top. So many changes! Interesting that you kept dreyer. I use him a lot how does he turn out for you? 

27 minutes ago, matty_boy said:

Thanks for the reply mate. Great to see other people taking the Albion to the top. So many changes! Interesting that you kept dreyer. I use him a lot how does he turn out for you? 

Sorry edited the second season tactic. Previously it was showing the same as first. Dreyer did fine. I rotated him with Halilovic as a MR or AMR

Few results and stats from my league topping second season! Midway during the season I faced my first defeat against Man City at home and then after a match I lost against Man Utd again at Home.

midway.thumb.jpg.314d886068ee6acce559c5d5245b69bd.jpg

So it felt sweet when I took revenge during the closing days of the season. :)

endgame.thumb.jpg.fb921c3bb3319c44b9f434aa7ec6dfe5.jpg

And this was one of the best games and goals, yeah the goals were kinda freakish when you see them, but I totally dismantled them at Old Trafford.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n-BucBV4ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18_W16XfIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYlwpWueTfc

stats.jpg

Archived