What role works best directly alongside box to box?

Hi fellas.

Don't often post on here and really didn't want to start a topic over this however was looking for a quick answer and I thought this would be the best place.

My squad has some good quality box to box midfielders however I'm looking to find the best role to play along side it?

I play a typical 4-2-3-1, 2 midfielders behind the attacking midfielder. Something tells me, deep lying playmaker however I have always been a sucker for a ball winning midfielder in any save I play.

Quick feedback is much appreciated.

Since the B2B midfielder has "roaming" active, it would probably be a good idea to partner him with someone who's more stationary. 

Deep-Lying Playermaker would be an obvious choice, as he has the opposite instruction active ("hold position"). Alternatatively just a plain old CM. 

In earlier versions of FM, the Ball-Winning Midfielder was set to press a lot, which could easily get him out of position - bit it seems that's not the case this year. At least for the visible instructions. He might be hardcoded to be more aggressive. 

Maybe try a few combinations and watch some games on Full Commentary and take notice of how they move? 

1 hour ago, Liquid Cool said:

Since the B2B midfielder has "roaming" active, it would probably be a good idea to partner him with someone who's more stationary. 

Deep-Lying Playermaker would be an obvious choice, as he has the opposite instruction active ("hold position")

A DLP would be my first choice as well :thup:

To the OP - you also need to consider/take into account the roles and duties of your other players. Don't look just at the 2 CMs separately.

If youre using someone in the DM position, can you afford to have two roaming players in central midfield ahead?

Im managing Benfica at the moment and Fejsa as an anchor man (d) coupled with Pizzi as roaming playmaker (s) and Gedson Fernandes as Box to Box (s) with a PI to get further forward seems to work really nicely.

Is this a natural combination to use in central mid?

Should also note though Gedson plays left side of the central midfield two and my left back is set to inverted wingback to cover the gap he vacates going forward

13 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

If youre using someone in the DM position, can you afford to have two roaming players in central midfield ahead?

Im managing Benfica at the moment and Fejsa as an anchor man (d) coupled with Pizzi as roaming playmaker (s) and Gedson Fernandes as Box to Box (s) with a PI to get further forward seems to work really nicely

Well, with that particular setup, it looks okay. But if you played a MEZ instead of BTB. it would be a bit risky and unstable.

I'm experimenting with a 5-4-1 diamond wingback with lazio. But I'm not sure about the 2 cm roles..This is what I got:

PF-a
AM-a
MEZ-s --- B2B-s
WB-a ------- BWM-d -------- WB-a
BPD-d --- BPD-c --- BPD-d
GK-d

But not really content with the contribution of the mezzala, could I use 2 box-to-box midfielders next to each other? Would it work?

15 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

But not really content with the contribution of the mezzala, could I use 2 box-to-box midfielders next to each other? Would it work?

I fear it could be even worse, making your setup even more one-dimensional. I don't know what the rest of your tactic looks like (mentality, TIs and PIs), but what I see above does not seem promising at all:

- all 3 CBs in BPD role (one BPD is more than enough)

- both most advanced players (AMC & ST) on attack duty, very likely to lead to them being isolated from the rest

- left flank defensively very exposed with a WB on attack and a mezzala, meaning poor defensive cover (unless that BWM on defend as the lone DM is a world-class one)

2 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

could I use 2 box-to-box midfielders next to each other? Would it work?

Again. All the time and super successful with it. I use it as my default roles in all my 2 CM formations. You can see screenshots of them playing in my American Football Returns thread with the 34 package.

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I fear it could be even worse, making your setup even more one-dimensional. I don't know what the rest of your tactic looks like (mentality, TIs and PIs), but what I see above does not seem promising at all:

- all 3 CBs in BPD role (one BPD is more than enough)

- both most advanced players (AMC & ST) on attack duty, very likely to lead to them being isolated from the rest

- left flank defensively very exposed with a WB on attack and a mezzala, meaning poor defensive cover (unless that BWM on defend as the lone DM is a world-class one)

Mentality: Attacking
TI in possession: Pass into space, Play out of defence, Whipped crosses
TI in transition: Play to centre-backs, Counter, Regroup
TI without possession: Defend Narrower, Higher defensive line, Much lower line of engagement, Extreme urgent, Get stuck in
PI for AMC: Take more risks, More dribbling, Roaming, Play into channels

1. But I like my central defenders to launch counter attacks

2. That's why I hope my 2 mc's would support them as well as my wingbacks

3. Changed mezzala to box-to-box, Lucas Leiva is my BWM

7 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, with that particular setup, it looks okay. But if you played a MEZ instead of BTB. it would be a bit risky and unstable.

I’ve used DLP(d) in the defensive strata and two mezzalas one attack one support and its brought some joyful football. Top scorer in the league and second best defence 

9 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

I’ve used DLP(d) in the defensive strata and two mezzalas one attack one support and its brought some joyful football. Top scorer in the league and second best defence 

I'm glad it works for you, keep it up :thup:

17 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

Mentality: Attacking
TI in possession: Pass into space, Play out of defence, Whipped crosses
TI in transition: Play to centre-backs, Counter, Regroup
TI without possession: Defend Narrower, Higher defensive line, Much lower line of engagement, Extreme urgent, Get stuck in
PI for AMC: Take more risks, More dribbling, Roaming, Play into channels

1. But I like my central defenders to launch counter attacks

2. That's why I hope my 2 mc's would support them as well as my wingbacks

3. Changed mezzala to box-to-box, Lucas Leiva is my BWM

Try it. It's the only way to find out if it's a good or bad tactic. I have a somewhat different approach to tactics, but it does not mean I'm right :)

Archived