Regen Faces

Regen faces are an embarassment - what the hell happened!?

I come back to the forum for a few months every year, and usually buy, play and enjoy each iteration of FM but haven't bought FM19 yet.

I've been on the FM Stories thread mainly and have seen tons of regen faces on screenshots.

They were never great but now they're all terrible. Without trawling, does anyone know if this has been acknowledged or raised by the community? Hate to think this is the future!

After the abominations that were FM17's newgen faces, SI switched from 2D-generated faces to 3D-generated faces. They looked naff and samey in FM18, and there was also a glitch where newgens' and even user-created managers' faces would change ethnicity quite regularly.

The faces in FM19 are a significant improvement, but they're still not fantastic. While I appreciate that not all of them can look like Abercrombie & Fitch models (especially not in a universe where Phil Jones exists), there are perhaps a few too many newgens who resemble assault victims or melted waxworks.

My biggest gripe with newgens this year is that East Asian faces are shocking. They almost all look European, and their skin tones are often far too dark (see here).

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much of a response from SI on this issue yet. The last post from any SI tester or programmer on the Generated Staff/Player Faces section of the bugs forum was nearly two months ago.

As for the future, I am sure newgen faces will gradually become more realistic as time goes on. However, people must realise that SI are not a huge company with infinite resources that they can happily plough into cosmetics. Even if they could afford the very best face-generation technology, they would also need to make sure that it doesn't stop FM becoming literally unplayably slow on all but the very best gaming computers.

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

After the abominations that were FM17's newgen faces, SI switched from 2D-generated faces to 3D-generated faces. They looked naff and samey in FM18, and there was also a glitch where newgens' and even user-created managers' faces would change ethnicity quite regularly.

The faces in FM19 are a significant improvement, but they're still not fantastic. While I appreciate that not all of them can look like Abercrombie & Fitch models (especially not in a universe where Phil Jones exists), there are perhaps a few too many newgens who resemble assault victims or melted waxworks.

My biggest gripe with newgens this year is that East Asian faces are shocking. They almost all look European, and their skin tones are often far too dark (see here).

Unfortunately, there hasn't been much of a response from SI on this issue yet. The last post from any SI tester or programmer on the Generated Staff/Player Faces section of the bugs forum was nearly two months ago.

As for the future, I am sure newgen faces will gradually become more realistic as time goes on. However, people must realise that SI are not a huge company with infinite resources that they can happily plough into cosmetics. Even if they could afford the very best face-generation technology, they would also need to make sure that it doesn't stop FM becoming literally unplayably slow on all but the very best gaming computers.

I agree with this, but I don't think anyone's clamoring for FIFA-realistic regens. In FM 16 the regens were very decent. It has less to do with quality of graphics and more to do with art style. At first blush I didn't mind this year's regens, but after seeing more of them they really are far too cartoonish. 

Look at this from FM 16. It's not going to blow anyone away, but it's a perfectly acceptable style which I think most people were fans of. 

Compare that to last year when it was players changing ethnicities every game (I know they all go to Fiji or wherever for vacation, but they can't get THAT tan!). The year before it was 16 year old orange eyed hellspawn with the hairline of Count Dracula. I really don't think it's too much to ask for something approaching FM 16's regens. 

2015-12-16_00001.jpg

4 minutes ago, puffascruffowitz said:

I agree with this, but I don't think anyone's clamoring for FIFA-realistic regens. In FM 16 the regens were very decent. It has less to do with quality of graphics and more to do with art style. At first blush I didn't mind this year's regens, but after seeing more of them they really are far too cartoonish. 

Aesthetically, FM16's faces were probably the best-looking from the series to date, though I suppose they too could be labelled cartoonish.

There's likely a very good reason why SI switched from 2D to 3D, but I can't find much in the way of details. I do though believe that, given time, 3D newgen faces will become much more lifelike than those 2D faces were at their peak. They're just not quite there at the moment.

22 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Aesthetically, FM16's faces were probably the best-looking from the series to date, though I suppose they too could be labelled cartoonish.

There's likely a very good reason why SI switched from 2D to 3D, but I can't find much in the way of details. I do though believe that, given time, 3D newgen faces will become much more lifelike than those 2D faces were at their peak. They're just not quite there at the moment.

I don't doubt they will improve over time. I think I remember reading that they outsource regens too. And from FM16 to FM17 they went with a new studio. Not sure if they've changed it again. If so, not sure why they wouldn't stick with a winning formula. Onwards and upwards I guess. 

9 ore fa, CFuller ha scritto:

people must realise that SI are not a huge company with infinite resources that they can happily plough into cosmetics. Even if they could afford the very best face-generation technology, they would also need to make sure that it doesn't stop FM becoming literally unplayably slow on all but the very best gaming computers.

Considering officially licensed faces are plain 2D pictures and so are facepacks, I don't see why SI had to go 3D when it'd have sufficed reverting to what they had been using before FM17 with adequate results.

FM is not a graphics-oriented game, so if the newgens' faces are only needed in static menus, there's no need to implement a fully-generated 3D face as if it were an arcade/sim game where in-match visuals are key features.

Archived