movement, space, supply = goals?????

After reading Cleons What makes a goal scorer thread it has inspired me to try and create my own tactic using these principles. after my 442 thread died a death i will be trying a new formation. Possibly a 4231.

I will be using Manchester United for this as its the team i support. 

looking at the squad i lack wingers so inside forwards will probably be my choice for the wings. hence the 4231 choice i am of course open to other ideas from you wonderful people. if any of you read my 442 thread (most likely not) you will know that i am a novice a this game and writing it down does seem to help me gain a better understanding of the game. any obvious errors to you may not seem so much to me so please be kind. 

being man united i do feel that we should be playing free fast flowing attacking football so i shall try to chose the instructions that allow this. i also have realised that what helps me defeat 1 team will not work against another. this is a major area in which i lack 

1) tactical knowledge

2)an understanding of how the game works

i will opt for a clean slate as i feel its probably the best way to learn

this is the 1st incarnation of the tactic. have left it quite basic for now.

i have (hopefully) multiple areas of supply and attacking threat from the central and wide areas.

have gone for a dlp to help defensively 

Manchester United_  Overview.png

really hoping this one can gain some convervasion

game stopped just before half time. (i may have to revert to 2d classic as it looks like my graphics card isnt up to much) 

would have stopped the game earlier if it wasnt for bloody kids messing about.

as you can see my right winger received the ball in acres of space (not evident in screenshot but i can assure you it was)

i also have two players lurking outside the box ready to receive a pass should it come. two players in the box. 2 players hanging back but i also have two players running the opposite way. prob down to my role choice. 

players lurking just outside the box seem to be occupying the same space which is odd. again prob down to role choice. 

1272769513_ManUtdvLiverpool_MatchPitch.thumb.png.1f743ca3a9c122d54df8245a2ff0c95c.png

10 minutes ago, the SLC said:

writing it down does seem to help me gain a better understanding of the game

Worked for me too :thup:.

11 minutes ago, the SLC said:

being man united i do feel that we should be playing free fast flowing attacking football so i shall try to chose the instructions that allow this.

Hold on there tiger.  Before you launch into the Attacking mentality and whatever else follows, define "free flowing attacking football".  Or breaking it right down, define "attacking football".  Do you need to use mentality to achieve attacking football?

Once you've thought about that, consider the tactical instructions as a whole.  Start with player roles and duties and then what impact things such as Mentality will have on those roles.  Also consider the chosen formation and what it's natural tendencies might be, so is the 4231 naturally a passive or aggressive formation?  What are it's strengths and weaknesses?  Do you need fullbacks charging forward or midfield runners?  Who is protecting the defence?

Define what you want to achieve first, develop a plan of how to achieve it and then go charging in.

2 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Worked for me too :thup:.

Hold on there tiger.  Before you launch into the Attacking mentality and whatever else follows, define "free flowing attacking football".  Or breaking it right down, define "attacking football".  Do you need to use mentality to achieve attacking football?

Once you've thought about that, consider the tactical instructions as a whole.  Start with player roles and duties and then what impact things such as Mentality will have on those roles.  Also consider the chosen formation and what it's natural tendencies might be, so is the 4231 naturally a passive or aggressive formation?  What are it's strengths and weaknesses?  Do you need fullbacks charging forward or midfield runners?  Who is protecting the defence?

Define what you want to achieve first, develop a plan of how to achieve it and then go charging in.

good advice. i must admit im only a casual gamer. with 5 kids to look after i get very little time to play hence why i probably have rushed this a little. i will think a bit more before i post any further. 

38 minutes ago, the SLC said:

After reading Cleons What makes a goal scorer thread it has inspired me to try and create my own tactic using these principles. after my 442 thread died a death i will be trying a new formation. Possibly a 4231.

I will be using Manchester United for this as its the team i support. 

looking at the squad i lack wingers so inside forwards will probably be my choice for the wings. hence the 4231 choice i am of course open to other ideas from you wonderful people. if any of you read my 442 thread (most likely not) you will know that i am a novice a this game and writing it down does seem to help me gain a better understanding of the game. any obvious errors to you may not seem so much to me so please be kind. 

being man united i do feel that we should be playing free fast flowing attacking football so i shall try to chose the instructions that allow this. i also have realised that what helps me defeat 1 team will not work against another. this is a major area in which i lack 

1) tactical knowledge

2)an understanding of how the game works

i will opt for a clean slate as i feel its probably the best way to learn

this is the 1st incarnation of the tactic. have left it quite basic for now.

i have (hopefully) multiple areas of supply and attacking threat from the central and wide areas.

have gone for a dlp to help defensively 

Manchester United_  Overview.png

really hoping this one can gain some convervasion

I think reading Cleon's stuff is a great place to start. Regarding the tactic I like that you use very few instructions, but I think you would be far better off flipping the two wingbacks, just so that you have the complete wingback(a) on the right and the wingback on support on the left. That way you could have a nice little overload on the right, and this will make space for your inside forward on the left. Plus let me just ask, do you really need a mezzala in there? My advice would be to use something more conservative, but I'm interested in your thought process.

I have toyed with the idea of using 4231 at ManU but ultimately scrapped it because I end to be a little bit conservative with formation, I like 5 a side kind of formation (5 players in defensive half and 5 players in attacking half) that’s why I chose 4141 DM (former 4123 DM).

However looking at your formation I’m thinking that your left side is very attacking then it is very prone to be exploited. I would opt a WB-s or at least CWB-s, Shaw did a good job for me on those roles. 

Your double pivot can be DLP-d and other roles that going forward a lot like BBM or MEZ-s. The idea is DLP-d hold position so when there is counter he can try to break it first, also he is your shield in front of your 2 CB. I usually put the defend role on the attacking side (in your case your left flanks). 

Also there were a couple of suggestions of using opposite roles for AMC and lone STC, such as AMC on attack duty then STC on support, vice versa.

AFAIK, ManU has really strong AML (Sanchez, Martial, Rashford) but poor AMR. Also the Fullback spot is awful, need more upgrade. 

2 hours ago, haagendasz said:

Also the Fullback spot is awful, need more upgrade. 

I really have to disagree with this. The players in FM are not the players in real life. In FM all of United's FBs are decent to good. Even Darmian:

JwGEpuzh.png?1

In my latest United save - albeit not very far in - this is how he's done so far. Nothing wrong with those performances, including a goal against Liverpool, playing as a WBs.

To the OP, if you want to start with a blank slate - and it's a great idea for learning FM tactics - you need to have no TIs to begin with and a starting mentality of 'balanced'. You can then add a TI if the team is doing something you don't want, or not doing something you do want.

And apologies for not responding to your 442 thread - I read it all and enjoyed following your thought process. I'll try to be more responsive in this one (although I'm not a fan of the 4231!)

10 hours ago, warlock said:

I really have to disagree with this. The players in FM are not the players in real life. In FM all of United's FBs are decent to good. Even Darmian:

Agree with you 100%, Darmian has been first choice for me and is doing really well.

12 hours ago, warlock said:

JwGEpuzh.png?1

In my latest United save - albeit not very far in - this is how he's done so far. Nothing wrong with those performances, including a goal against Liverpool, playing as a WBs.

To the OP, if you want to start with a blank slate - and it's a great idea for learning FM tactics - you need to have no TIs to begin with and a starting mentality of 'balanced'. You can then add a TI if the team is doing something you don't want, or not doing something you do want.

And apologies for not responding to your 442 thread - I read it all and enjoyed following your thought process. I'll try to be more responsive in this one (although I'm not a fan of the 4231!)

im also not a fan of the 4231 and a lot of people are using it this year which is also off putting. but i think the current united squad fits in to it. i will load up the game now and have a think about the roles and take in to account the advice given so far

so this is the revised version.

having looked a the formation itself and going back to what herne hinted at i can imagine that the 4231 is a naturally attacking formation due to the position of the players. with 4 players banked high up the field. 

with only 2 mids centrally i can imagine that could be where possession could be lost and where we could possibly be out numbered. with this in mind i have gone for more defensive minded roles with 1 with some creativity and the other with the aim to win the ball back. 

with the threat that im 100% certain to face i have also opted to have more conservative wing backs. 

unsure on the front 4 but will have to see what happens

Manchester United_  Overview-3.png

in this screen the BWM is on the ball. you can see the right wing back has made a forward run unnoticed which is good also the space my left back has is impressive albeit not as advanced. martial the advanced forward is being tightly marked so is unlikely to receive a pass whereas the DLP and LW are available  for a simple pass.

i like the fact that the forward has such an attacking intent but is possibly to advanced but he does have a bit of space a bit deeper so i could try to occupy that space. 

omg having watched it unfold. the bwm passed it back to the defenders who then continued a game of pinball between themselves then allowed aguero just tackle them and score

Man Utd v Man City_ Match Pitch.png

i have made some changes as i thought that the play was too narrow and it was getting congested. so i changed the rw to that of winger to hopefully put pressure on the opposing left back and of course offer some variety.

in this clip we have just retrieved the ball from a corner they had. the DLF (lukaku) came deep possibly too deep? but you can see the majority of players surge forward. passing options all over the pitch. im hoping he feeds the ball down the right side. maybe a cheeky dink over the top for my  left sided inside forward to chase (11)

Man Utd v Liverpool_ Match Pitch-2.png

I like what you’re doing but lets take it a bit slower. I understand you’re playing the game right now and want to get on with it , but it’s better if you analyze whats wrong instead of getting angry and going gung-ho with tactical changes. Ill try to help a bit altough I’m not an expert but, like you, i want to understand this game and football better.

lets look at your pic with the BWM from before ; you were pretty happy with the shape, so what didnt go as expected there? Your bwm(d) passed it back to defenders, they got pressed and aguero scored. What did you want your bwm to do there exactly? You have a very good picture there, just try to answer this question first. Then try to think about why he did what he did. 

9 minutes ago, Kuldaniss said:

I like what you’re doing but lets take it a bit slower. I understand you’re playing the game right now and want to get on with it , but it’s better if you analyze whats wrong instead of getting angry and going gung-ho with tactical changes. Ill try to help a bit altough I’m not an expert but, like you, i want to understand this game and football better.

lets look at your pic with the BWM from before ; you were pretty happy with the shape, so what didnt go as expected there? Your bwm(d) passed it back to defenders, they got pressed and aguero scored. What did you want your bwm to do there exactly? You have a very good picture there, just try to answer this question first. Then try to think about why he did what he did. 

youre right. 

what annoyed me was all the options the bwm had but passed back to the cd who passed to the other cd about 20 times pointlessly, between themselves. then standing still and allowing aguero the ball. 

this is where i really lack. i can (hopefully) see the issues but i dont really know how to correct them. i dont know enough about the roles, tactics or football in general. 

i did alter the if to a winger as it was too narrow but thats the only issue all ive really been able to spot

In the past I've often used PoD as a mainstay of my tactics. This year, thanks to the improvements in AI pressing, I think it can be a liability and I've often seen my defenders and defensive midfielders passing back and forth in little triangles until they make a mistake and give away possession, or get tackled leaving the AI through on goal.

Instead, I try to encourage play from the back by having my GK distribute to FBs who can then pass to their winger, or pass it infield to a DM/CM.

But generally I agree with @Kuldaniss - you're making big changes too quickly. Worse, you seem to be doing it mid-season. I'd be looking to iron out a new tactic in pre-season, using @Cleon's rule of thumb of letting it play for three games without any changes until you can see whether you're dealing with a one-off problem or a genuine issue with the tactic.

Trust me I understand you completely, I’ve been there before. 

What I can see in that picture is that you are being heavily pressed. The BWM has a defend duty, so he is more cautious in his decisions. Also, you are using a balanced mentality, so overall his mentality should be “defensive”, you can check this in the player instruction tab. This might be the reason why he passed to the CB, he saw that as a not risky pass. 

Also, you use lower tempo, shorter passing and play out of defense. This instructs your team to build from the back slowly. Maybe that’s why your team was so heavily pressed and why your defenders played short passes between themselves. So, ask yourself again, what exactly do you want them to do ? 

clearly i have no idea how to play this game. 

i want to threaten from all angles. i have an inside forward and a winger. a dlp who can pick out the all important through ball or ball over the top. a forward who can drop deep to allow room for inside forward but can also be a threat themselves. and team instructions that i thought were correct

1 hour ago, the SLC said:

clearly i have no idea how to play this game. 

i want to threaten from all angles. i have an inside forward and a winger. a dlp who can pick out the all important through ball or ball over the top. a forward who can drop deep to allow room for inside forward but can also be a threat themselves. and team instructions that i thought were correct

That's not a DLP really does though. Look at the description of the role and the settings it has and you'll see its more focused on recycling possession above creating chances.

34 minutes ago, Cleon said:

That's not a DLP really does though. Look at the description of the role and the settings it has and you'll see its more focused on recycling possession above creating chances.

I just wanted to touch on this as I personally feel the in-game description of DLP is either a little misleading or myself and others are misunderstanding. When I read....

"aims to initiate attacking moves through pinpoint passes to players positioned higher up the pitch"

I often translate that as launching balls over the top to strikers or AMs, working well in a counter attacking/direct style of play. But I have hardly ever seen DLPs make the kinds of raking passes that I am imagining. 

Maybe they do play those types of balls and I've always got something wrong with my system?

Side note What I see the DLP do a lot which I really like is constantly finding little pockets of space and making themselves available for teammates (recycling possession as you stated). So I now tend to use them for that function if I am seeking/needing it.

31 minutes ago, scwiffy said:

I just wanted to touch on this as I personally feel the in-game description of DLP is either a little misleading or myself and others are misunderstanding. When I read....

"aims to initiate attacking moves through pinpoint passes to players positioned higher up the pitch"

I often translate that as launching balls over the top to strikers or AMs, working well in a counter attacking/direct style of play. But I have hardly ever seen DLPs make the kinds of raking passes that I am imagining. 

Maybe they do play those types of balls and I've always got something wrong with my system?

Side note What I see the DLP do a lot which I really like is constantly finding little pockets of space and making themselves available for teammates (recycling possession as you stated). So I now tend to use them for that function if I am seeking/needing it.

You have to remember that when you use a DLP, almost every single player on the pitch will be more 'advanced' than him when you are attacking because the DLP is a deep role. People seem to think this translates to throughballs or balls over the top, it doesn't. Sure you might see him do the odd one. But he'll pass to the players just ahead of him mainly. He drops off and is a passing options, he doesn't really push forward. He just recycles possession mainly, that's his main functioning ability. You can see exactly what he can do with the settings. People see the role and description yet don't take into consideration the positioning of the player on the pitch coupled with the settings he has.

If you want a more aggressive role who does what you described, then you'd go Regista/RPM.

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

cheers i shall look in to it a bit more. appreciate the advice. its certainly a hard game to master.

if i have a creative mid ie the regis or an rpm should i be looking at a defensive minded option to partner along side him? 

also if i have an amc just behind the striker can  i sacrifice a runner from deep. ive noticed that it can get a bit crowded in and around the penalty area. which makes sense if i have a dlf an if an amc and a runner from deep. 

a little change and game stopped as we attack down the right. my winger is injured so playing lingard(not suited to the role but will do for now) as you can see he is driving forward with my two dms pushing up to offer support with also martial and rashford attacking the penalty area. rashford is in acres of space whilst martial is a little surrounded but this is what i want isnt it? his movement has made space for rashford to attack? its up to lingard now!!

he did indeed whip a ball across the box for the on rushing rashford who unfortunately fired it straight at the keeper. good move with a quick transistion

Watford v Man Utd_ Match Pitch-2.png

v fulham. straight from kick off, tierney receives the ball on the left wing but he is alot higher than the others and got there quite quicky. i doubt if the others will catch up although mt forward has an inch on his marker and my right winger has plenty of space. 

as i thought he was way too advanced for anything to come of it. he took a few more paces then took a wild shot at goal. was a top effort for it to be on target from that distance though

Man Utd v Fulham_ Match Pitch.png

in this clip how do i get my amc (mata) to attack that space ahead of him. i feel that he is dropping too deep and becoming ineffective? what role will keep him further up nearer the forward and preferably in that space in front instead of him holding hands with the other two. 

i had changed the passing to that of direct however i was seeing it move forward a bit too quick and finding my options near the penalty area a bit restrictive so i have changed to normal to see if i can combat this 

Man Utd v Fulham_ Match Pitch-2.png

mata is the one higher up than the other two but still fairly close to one another (near pogba) 

20 hours ago, warlock said:

JwGEpuzh.png?1

Well, Darmian does very good job in your save that’s great. He might be fitting well in your formation so he can produce very good performances.

I might be a little bit biased cause I support ManU in real life so I might underestimate Darmian’s & Valencia’s ability in FM. 

2 hours ago, Cleon said:

You have to remember that when you use a DLP, almost every single player on the pitch will be more 'advanced' than him when you are attacking because the DLP is a deep role. People seem to think this translates to throughballs or balls over the top, it doesn't. Sure you might see him do the odd one. But he'll pass to the players just ahead of him mainly. He drops off and is a passing options, he doesn't really push forward. He just recycles possession mainly, that's his main functioning ability. You can see exactly what he can do with the settings. People see the role and description yet don't take into consideration the positioning of the player on the pitch coupled with the settings he has.

If you want a more aggressive role who does what you described, then you'd go Regista/RPM.

Thanks for that Cleon. 

I had the same understanding of scwiffy. 

It would be good for future fm versions to make it more clearer.

7 hours ago, the SLC said:

in this clip how do i get my amc (mata) to attack that space ahead of him

Mata has the ppm 'comes deep to get the ball' so he's going to be deep more often than not. Giving him an attack duty might help, but ppms always trump over pi's. 

19 hours ago, Cleon said:

This is a good suggestion and will try. I've been looking for the movement of a DLP that plays the "Sarri Ball". 

I think my point still stands that the in-game description is often misunderstood because of the wording. I often see lots of people interpret it the same way I originally did.

8 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I've also had my view changed on the DLP after Cleon's explanation. So I take it a more defensive player with low technical attributes could still play there? 

Any player can play any role.  They'll just play the roles differently.

20 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I've also had my view changed on the DLP after Cleon's explanation. So I take it a more defensive player with low technical attributes could still play there? 

I play my single DM formations with a DLP (d) all the time as I think it's a great single pivot role. My DMs are almost always a converted CD who don't quite have good enough physicals for CD (typically either too slow or lack jumping). They rarely are technically strong and always play very well for me. But I'm only ever looking for them to recycle possession and be ready to defend in case of a turnover.

Is there a difference between a DLP-D and DM-D in the way that they recycle possession? Obviously out of possession the DM-D is more aggressive, which may be good or bad depending on what you want, but I was wondering if there’s specific advantages in possession?

40 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Is there a difference between a DLP-D and DM-D in the way that they recycle possession? Obviously out of possession the DM-D is more aggressive, which may be good or bad depending on what you want, but I was wondering if there’s specific advantages in possession?

Going way back, the DLP(d) supposidly climbed the support mentality ladder instead of the defend mentality ladder.

Now, I'm sure that a number of things have changed in the role coding since that post, but with the fact that roles have hard coded behavior, I suspect that there are still relics of this behavior in the code. 

It might be bias comformation and entirely accedotal, but I feel like the role gets more involved in supporting the attack than most defend duties would. But then in defense they play much more like the other defensive roles/duties. 

But bottom line, it works well for me, so I haven't had any reason to change it.

On 16/01/2019 at 03:19, jc577 said:

Mata has the ppm 'comes deep to get the ball' so he's going to be deep more often than not. Giving him an attack duty might help, but ppms always trump over pi's. 

yes of course he does. my mistake. i forgot to even check the ppms suitable for that position. 

right i have a match v inter milan at their ground. i have taken in to account the am postion and decided to keep it as it is but change the player as i didint think mata was suitable with his drop deep ppm. especially as i have two player running forward so i want a player that will hopefuly stay around the box. if the player still drops deep then i pressume to assume that the role will need changing.

game stopped as we attack. lingard is my AMC and as you can see he is still a little deep with my volante (23) surging past him. possibly some thing to change? will keep for now.

i have reverted to 2d as my comp isnt quite capable of 3d

Inter v Man Utd_ Match Pitch.png

another pic this time showing the amc to be quite advanced and in the kind of area i would like. only this time my forward has dropped a little. im not worried about that as it a rather quick counter attacking move. as for the other players on the pitch. i cant work out if they are positioned to be a possible threat. i do have the number 11(IF) making a run in to the box. hoping he drags both defenders leaving my amc freedom. oh and my right back has ample space

Inter v Man Utd_ Match Pitch-3.png

we lost 1-0.  and the stats dont make for good viewing

Inter v Man Utd_ Match Review.png

im finding this extremely difficult. i cannot get the balance right. im really at a loss with this. how on earth are people creating tactics? 

where am i going wrong? im too open or im not offensive enough. my front man doesnt get involved enough etc. i think part of the problem apart from lack of game and tactical knowledge of role and instructions is being a casual gamer. i can get on the game for a few hours and then i may not be able to on it again for days sometimes longer. due to this i think im rushing things. making too many changes in my desire to both complete the challenge and/or up my game time. all these factors are most likely causing me issues. im not paying attention to the finer details when watching the games. highlighting just how inept i am at this game.

does anyone have any advice?

having to revert to 2d to watch the games i dont think helps much. i feel you dont get the full picture of whats happening on screen.

im looking forward to reading @Cleons update of his wm challenge. should help me somewhat which in game issues and spotting potential threats

26 minutes ago, the SLC said:

im finding this extremely difficult. i cannot get the balance right. im really at a loss with this. how on earth are people creating tactics? 

where am i going wrong? im too open or im not offensive enough. my front man doesnt get involved enough etc. i think part of the problem apart from lack of game and tactical knowledge of role and instructions is being a casual gamer. i can get on the game for a few hours and then i may not be able to on it again for days sometimes longer. due to this i think im rushing things. making too many changes in my desire to both complete the challenge and/or up my game time. all these factors are most likely causing me issues. im not paying attention to the finer details when watching the games. highlighting just how inept i am at this game.

does anyone have any advice?

having to revert to 2d to watch the games i dont think helps much. i feel you dont get the full picture of whats happening on screen.

im looking forward to reading @Cleons update of his wm challenge. should help me somewhat which in game issues and spotting potential threats

Are you still using the 4231 you posted about at the start? What have you changed since the first image. I think the 4231 stuff I wrote about could be really beneficial for you.

@cleon 

this is what i have changed too. apologise for the graphics im just learning.

the arrows signify what i think the movement will or should be like according to roles chosen. i decided i wanted an enganche to stay closer to the forward. if my understanding is right then he should just drift around looking for space? i thought with the runner from deep in the SV  it sounded like a good idea?

https://imgur.com/a/EoTJpQY

another game and i actually won!! 

after seeing how the majority of passes in my own half or just above i decided i would apply more pressure higher up the field and changed my LOE to the highest setting. granted the opposition are deemed weaker but with my ability it was a risk. 

i also had a ridiculous amount of shots but i also saw an increase of shots inside the box which is good.

Man Utd v Cardiff_ Analysis Teams.png

Man Utd v Cardiff_ Analysis Teams-2.png

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@the SLC  All you've done is link the same screenshot 3 times.  Please post your current system as it sounds like you've made further changes from the last one you posted.

This!

I'm confused with how you're set up as you mention you are using a SV now. Also an enganche is the least mobile playmaker, so its less likely to roam about compared to the other roles.

Archived