Sports Interactive Community

I'm playing a lone striker with counter attack tactics as Leicester.  None of my forwards are that big so i want balls either played into their feet or into the channels for them,  but the team are playing high balls up to them which the CD marking them just heads back.  What settings do i need to change to get the passing up to them how i want it? 

Edited by Paulronnie77

You need to post a screenshot of your tactics (with the formation including roles and duties, mentality and team instructions visible), so that we could "diagnose" where the problem is/could be.

You are playing with a target man. Your players will play long balls to your striker more often. You also don't have a real goal-scorer. I recommend to change the role of your striker. Advanced forward may be a good example of a good goalscorer.

Good question. If your Target man plays fine, change your AMC role. I think a shadow striker or attacking midfielder - attack can work. As long as your AMC or STC have a goal-scoring role.

A target man and advanced playmaker are neither real goalscorers. A target man tries to win aerial challenges and hold-up the ball. An advanced playmaker prefers to create chances.

That's why I think you need to change the roles of one of these positions.

4 hours ago, Paulronnie77 said:

I'm playing a lone striker with counter attack tactics as Leicester.  None of my forwards are that big so i want balls either played into their feet or into the channels for them,  but the team are playing high balls up to them which the CD marking them just heads back.  What settings do i need to change to get the passing up to them how i want it? 

2 hours ago, Paulronnie77 said:

20190113_142245.jpg

Okay, so let's analyze. You are playing a more direct pass-higher tempo game with TM as the lone striker, so it's no wonder that your players are frequently trying to find him with long (and high) balls. If you want the passes to your striker to be directed more toward his feet or into space - and if your main striker is Vardy - then my suggestion would be to play him either as a PFatt or a DLFatt. In that case, I would change the AMC's duty to support, either as APM or a standard AM, while one of the wide midfielders (ideally IW) could be given attack duty. And I would also avoid having both FBs getting forward too much in a system with none in DM (for defensive reasons).

So the setup would now be a bit different. For example:

PFa/DLFa

AMs

IWa     DLPd      BBM      Ws

WBs     CD      CD    FBs/IWBd

SKd

What else you can do to achieve your desired style (in case the above suggestion proves insufficient) is to either reduce tempo a bit (just one notch) or passing (also just a notch), but not both at once. As for passing, you can always use player instructions to adjust it for individual players. If you use a BPD, then bear in mind that the role tends to frequently attempt more direct through balls, so you need a player who has not only good passing, but also vision, decisions and technique.