[FM19] Derby County - Director of Football Challenge

Stuniverse

23 hours ago, Tajerio said:

Have the board given you an opportunity to adjust expectations?  If you're feeling super confident and ambitious, you could get some extra budget that way--very risky for a team with only two proper CBs though.

Game date: 1 January 2021

@Tajerio, the Board have just given me the option to review expectations with three options:

• avoid relegation (current expectation)
  • avoid relegation battle
  • mid-table finish.

Although I’m not 100% sure how far down the league table constitutes a mid-table finish (I’d guess at 10th-11th) I deemed this too risky.

I did look at avoid relegation battle but, again, how low in the league table before being considered in the relegation battle? The increase in transfer budget was just over half a million so I decided to keep the expectations unchanged as avoid relegation.

Edited by Stuniverse

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure whether this will make any difference at all (probably not) but, when asked in a Press Conference which area of the squad I wanted to strengthen, I said defence.

Over to you, Igor Stimac...

01012021_defence.thumb.png.66c7b43079931a44b9a75a03d5cdd710.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 2 January 2021

RAMS LEFT FRUSTRATED BY BENATIA

RamsFanzine understand Derby County have had to cancel their transfer offer to Lazio for Medhi Benatia after the 33-year old centre-back declined to enter into contract negotiations at this stage. Benatia's agent informed Rams Director of Football Igor Stimac that the player wanted to keep his options open until nearer the time when his contract runs out [30/06/2021]. Benatia has 87 caps for Morocco.

02012021_medhi_benatia1.thumb.png.cce4cef7fe364a2790906f5c38d7ac0b.png

02012021_medhi_benatia2.thumb.png.9a5b32ec95e0dd7b24899d8afdae7d0e.png

02012021_medhi_benatia3.thumb.png.3fb60a50653a55a3a1bbdc7e11466563.png

Game date: Saturday 2 January 2021

Pre-match v Doncaster Rovers (H) - F.A. Cup Round 3

Match Preview

FAC3_Doncaster_preview.thumb.png.a1f8afee77fde9cfc3666a5abb19e87a.png

RamsFanzine: Your Derby County side are doing brilliantly in the Premier League. Is this FA Cup tie against League One Doncaster Rovers a welcome or unwelcome distraction from the league?

Stuniverse: The FA Cup is the best domestic cup competition in the world. I grew up watching it as a kid. Our position in the league means we can completely focus on this cup-tie without worrying about our next league match.

Team Selection

FAC3_Doncaster_selection.thumb.png.b57bbc50c4c66ee3ba662502d96bef86.png

RamsFanzine: You've made three changes.

Stuniverse: Yes. Kenedy drops back to left-back, allowing Tom Lawrence to come in for Max Lowe, plus Harry Wilson for Martyn Waghorn, and Martin Naylor for Louie Sibley.

Post-match: Derby County (0) 2-0 (0) Doncaster Rovers

RamsFanzine: A 2-0 win that could've been more as you hit the woodwork an incredible three times. Never in doubt though, really, was it?

Stuniverse: I think that's a bit harsh on Doncaster. I thought their players worked hard, and were a credit to their manager Darren Moore but, no, they never really caused us any problems. At nil-nil though, the longer a game goes on, you never know so it was a relief when Jack Marriott gave us the lead just after the break, and then converted the penalty to give us a two goal cushion.

RamsFanzine: Congratulations, you're in the hat for the next round. Anybody you'd like to draw?

Stuniverse: A home tie. That's all I ask. A home tie, please.

FAC3_Doncaster_report.thumb.png.48ff7bbfb6b9da6186ad7001b0c66f03.png

FAC3_Doncaster_stats.thumb.png.708bf7a6c3bfb5ae9f959cd762f00f64.png

FAC3_Doncaster_analysis.thumb.png.430c844aa7f5957f42911986ff427afe.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 4 January 2021

PRIDE PARK RETURN FOR HENDRICK

RamsFanzine: Former Rams Academy graduate Jeff Hendrick is set to return to Pride Park after Derby County were drawn at home to Burnley in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. The tie will be played on Saturday 23 January 2021.

In the 3rd Round, Burnley won 3-1 at League Two Bury, whilst the Rams defeated League One Doncaster Rovers 2-0 at home.

FAC4_draw_H_Burley.thumb.png.f50f7ac2115e34d8992a81c28f3b5908.png

Game date: Saturday 9 January

Pre-match v Manchester United (H) - Premier League (21)

Match Preview

EPL21_ManUtd_preview.thumb.png.ef48fed3cecbb801aa61880699a2e7be.png

RamsFanzine: Manchester United arrive at Pride Park in 5th place, eight points ahead of you. How confident are you of closing that gap?

Stuniverse: It would be a big ask for us to beat Ole Gunnar Solksjaer's side but, we've trained hard, prepared well, and we'll be giving it our best shot.

Team Selection

EPL21_ManUtd_selection.thumb.png.325369cf6e4bedde469755ff7d747799.png

RamsFanzine: You've not made any changes for this match but Mount is back on the bench?

Stuniverse: Yes. Mason Mount's been out with a groin strain for a while; he's back in training now and our medical team advise we can get some minutes out of him in the second half should we need to.

Post-match: Derby County (0) 0-2 (1) Manchester United

RamsFanzine: Another defeat against one of the big six. How did you see it?

Stuniverse: I think it was a very competitive game and we made things difficult for Man United. The difference, I think, and it's fine margins, was their quality in front of goal. Rolando Mandragora and Anthony Martial were clinical in front of goal, whereas Jack Marriott unluckily hit the post and David De Gea produced some good saves.

EPL21_ManUtd_lgTab.thumb.png.728c4f8c043c4d4a6db41c41132b118b.png

RamsFanzine: Can we expect much business from Derby this transfer window?

Stuniverse: I'm not sure. Igor Stimac's working hard behind the scenes and, hopefully, we'll have some news for you before too long.

EPL21_ManUtd_report.thumb.png.b1a5a46483c5a6268fa4de8ababc4994.png

EPL21_ManUtd_stats.thumb.png.7b0e086747d1388a7f5b2d029897109b.png

EPL21_ManUtd_analysis.thumb.png.292a5905036aec7c9ad714fc32a4b9e9.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 12 January 2021

NAYLOR OUT FOR A MONTH

RamsFanzine: Derby County's 18-year old midfielder Martin Naylor looks set to miss the next month after spraining ankle ligaments in training.

12012021_Naylor_injured.thumb.png.badb27c293508cd574be324bf0687d4d.png

Edited by Stuniverse

It's a shame about the Naylor injury & the snub from Benatia, but it's a massive positive that Igor's looking to sign CB's already. At least he's showing he understand where your problems are, not always the case with a DoF!

11 hours ago, coady said:

It's a shame about the Naylor injury & the snub from Benatia, but it's a massive positive that Igor's looking to sign CB's already. At least he's showing he understand where your problems are, not always the case with a DoF!

I agree, @coady. Naylor was doing well and staking a claim for a regular starting spot.

Igor must really rate Benatia as he’s made three bids now and each time we’ve been through the same not willing to discuss personal terms / offer cancelled rigmarole. More worryingly, I’ve had our scouts look at Benatia and the report reckons he’ll probably fail to get a work permit.

13012021_Benatia_scouted.thumb.png.cc7970410306dfae219740265b02a06d.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: Wednesday 13 January 2021

Pre-match v Newcastle United (a) - Premier League (22)

Match Preview

EPL22_Newcastle_preview.thumb.png.81aa45a6e3290c5b093e94ffcdfc6c2a.png

RamsFanzine: Newcastle are on a poor run of form, are seven points behind you, and haven't won in their last four matches. Can you go up there and win?

Stuniverse: That's what we'll be trying to do but Carlo Cudicini's side will have something to say about that I''m sure. It's always an incredible atmosphere as St. James's Park and Newcastle won't want to lose in front of their own fans. It's another tough game in this league.

Team Selection

EPL22_Newcastle_selection.thumb.png.aca8c53a7a014a617ed3b2506096019e.png

RamsFanzine: You've had more injury setbacks this week, haven't you?

Stuniverse: Yes. Max Lowe is ill and Martin Naylor sprained ankle ligaments. Mason Mount (groin) isn't fit enough to start games yet and Mason Bennett (toe) and Domingos Quina (ACL) are also out. We've made one change with Louie Sibley coming in for Martin.

Post-match: Newcastle United (0) 0-3 (0) Derby County

RamsFanzine: Well you certainly silenced the home fans tonight. Congratulations.

Stuniverse: Thank you. I know we won 3-0 but defensively I thought we were superb. We controlled the game and probably should've been in front before the break. Our fans were brilliant throughout, but two goals in two minutes from Shinji Kagawa and Jack Marriott really got them bouncing. By the time Tom Lawrence sealed it with a sensational goal, all I could hear in a crowd of 54,000 plus was our 3,000 fans.

EPL22_Newcastle_lgTab.thumb.png.266b2e7142e75b1bf9420730171283c3.png

RamsFanzine: Wilson limped off, how is he?

Stuniverse: Harry felt a tight achilles, but we think he'll be ok. Harry is ineligible on Saturday any way, when we go to Anfield, as he can't play against his parent club. He should be fine for the match after Liverpool.

EPL22_Newcastle_report.thumb.png.76768591491de09d8f6c7399f5637033.png

EPL22_Newcastle_stats.thumb.png.65622b6b4ffc492bda41c3f31d793c19.png

EPL22_Newcastle_analysis.thumb.png.fd18175b5fe19e48fbab9c47c4ba8bf1.png

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

Igor must really rate Benatia as he’s made three bids now and each time we’ve been through the same not willing to discuss personal terms / offer cancelled rigmarole. More worryingly, I’ve had our scouts look at Benatia and the report reckons he’ll probably fail to get a work permit.

I had this on transfer deadline day in January, where my DoF tried to offer Julian Weigl a deal 8 times and on every occasion he wouldn't talk to him. Once he finally left him alone and got on with pursuing other options, he actually made some good signings. Unfortunately, I had to wait until 7pm on deadline day for that!

Game date: Saturday 16 January 2021

Pre-match v Liverpool (H) - Premier League (23)

Match Preview

EPL23_Liverpool_preview.thumb.png.adeb8ddbc27042546e3a4fe4c1951f16.png

RamsFanzine: Antonio Conte's Liverpool lost 2-0 to Leeds at Elland Road last time out. Can you get a result against them at Pride Park?

Stuniverse: We believe so. We've trained hard. We have a game plan we've all bought into; now we have to try and execute it.

Team Selection

EPL23_Liverpool_selection.thumb.png.e0edfa2014de515dd2597a14cf07cbe9.png

RamsFanzine: With ineligibility and injuries, just how thin on the ground are you right now?

Stuniverse: Very. Harry Wilson is ineligible. Mason Mount still isn't ready to start. Kenedy and Shinji Kagawa both looked jaded in training. Martin Naylor (ankle), Mason Bennett (toe) and Domingos Quina (ACL) are still out injured. One plus though, Max Lowe has fully recovered from his food poisoning.

RamsFanzine: All in all, you've made three changes. You've also named three full-backs, are you changing your system today?

Stuniverse: Three changes, yes. Martyn Waghorn is in for Harry Wilson, Max Lowe replaces Kenedy and Jayden Bogle comes in for Shinji Kagawa. As for any change in system, you'll have to wait and see just as Antonio Conte will have to do.

Post-match: Derby County (0) 0-1 (1) Liverpool

RamsFanzine: You changed your system today and almost got to half-time all-square. Then you went back to how you normally play. What was your thinking?

Stuniverse: Our thinking was partly to try and contain Liverpool but, to be honest, it was more driven by having quite a few of our creative players looking jaded. 

I thought we played very well first-half, created some good chances, and Jayden Bogle did very well out of position on the right-wing. If it wasn't for Allison in their goal, we'd have been in front before Alexander-Arnold's powerful free-kick just before the break.

The plan was always to get to the break and then bring our creative players on for the second-half. We had a fair few chances to equalise, only for Alisson to deny us again. I have no idea how he saved Tom Lawrence's pile-driver near the end.

EPL23_Liverpool_lgTab.thumb.png.669b9be17a160828295facbd78cbcc7c.png

RamsFanzine: You've been quiet so far this transfer window with no ins or outs. Are you expecting any deals in the next couple of weeks?

Stuniverse: Sorry, but you'll need to ask Igor about that.

EPL23_Liverpool_report.thumb.png.f4912373568c1f666da01e316b2c5cb7.png

EPL23_Liverpool_stats.thumb.png.d9ff7cd269d7a623b52c61b270eb9aab.png

EPL23_Liverpool_analysis.thumb.png.e5ecad077c6dffde4cb48457cb43de4c.png

Edited by Stuniverse

16 minutes ago, coady said:

I had this on transfer deadline day in January, where my DoF tried to offer Julian Weigl a deal 8 times and on every occasion he wouldn't talk to him. Once he finally left him alone and got on with pursuing other options, he actually made some good signings. Unfortunately, I had to wait until 7pm on deadline day for that!

Cheers, @coady. I hope Igor does likewise and moves on to the next target sooner rather than later...

Game date: 20 January 2021

WISDOM DOUBT FOR FA CUP-TIE

RamsFanzine understand that Rams centre-back Andre Wisdom pulled out of training earlier today with a tight groin. Wisdom is rated touch-and-go now for Derby's F.A. Cup-tie at home to Burnley on Saturday.

Derby County will play Burnley twice in four days as the Rams travel to Turf Moor the following Tuesday for a league fixture. Club sources advise us Wisdom should be recovered for the Premier League match next week but the F.A. Cup match this weekend may be too soon for Wisdom.

20012021_Wisdom_injury.thumb.png.4f032ae771b624f954211ffad9a237fd.png

Edited by Stuniverse

38 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Game date: 20 January 2021

WISDOM DOUBT FOR FA CUP-TIE

RamsFanzine understand that Rams centre-back Andre Wisdom pulled out of training earlier today with a tight groin. Wisdom is rated touch-and-go now for Derby's F.A. Cup-tie at home to Burnley on Saturday.

Derby County will play Burnley twice in four days as the Rams travel to Turf Moor the following Tuesday for a league fixture. Club sources advise us Wisdom should be recovered for the Premier League match next week but the F.A. Cup match this weekend may be too soon for Wisdom.

20012021_Wisdom_injury.thumb.png.4f032ae771b624f954211ffad9a237fd.png

Oh dear, I presume that's any hope of an FA Cup run gone?

Game date: Saturday 23 January 2021

Pre-match v Burnley (H) - F.A Cup Round 4

Match Preview

FAC4_Burnley_preview.thumb.png.b4fd0c03a21b291f15f48bd8e63ec12a.png

RamsFanzine: You entertain a Burnley side in the FA Cup who are 16th in the league and haven't beaten Premier League opposition in their last six attempts, losing five. You have a great chance to progress into the 5th Round, don't you?

Stuniverse: We can't afford to think like that otherwise Burnley will give us a bloody nose for our complacency. Mark Hughes will have the Clarets up for the game, I'm sure, so we need to match their work rate, stay focussed, and stick to our game plan.

Team Selection

FAC4_Burnley_selection.thumb.png.30d5bafd16ad2522f3282240083c76dd.png

RamsFanzine: Four changes today.

Stuniverse: Yes. We welcome Harry Wilson back for Jayden Bogle, Shinji Kagawa returns for Martyn Waghorn, Mason Mount replaces Louie Sibley, and Kenedy for Max Lowe.

FAC4_Burnley_fitness.thumb.png.1e90c7baef764d5a5bb0356be2924fcf.png

RamsFanzine: We saw Wisdom put through his paces earlier. We didn't expect him to feature. Is he ready?

Stuniverse: Yes. Andre Wisdom had a fitness test earlier and our medical team have declared him fit to play. Andre has made himself a very important player for us this season and our position in the league allows us to go after the FA Cup in a way we perhaps wouldn't if we were in the relegation discussion. Andre gave us a scare earlier in the season when he picked up four yellow cards in four appearances and was one card away from a suspension. Since then he's settled down alongside Chris Smalling and formed a great defensive partnership with our captain.

Post-match: Derby County (1) 2-0 (0) Burnley

RamsFanzine: You're through to the next round. Congratulations. Was it a nervy one?

Stuniverse: It's always nervy at 1-0 and we were 1-0 up for a long time after Harry Wilson gave us the lead with a stunning free-kick. I felt we controlled the game for long periods but Burnley put us under pressure in the closing stages, so it was a great feeling when Jack Marriott made it 2-0 late on.

RamsFanzine: You play Burnley again on Tuesday in the league. Will that be a similar match again?

Stuniverse: No. I don't think so. It's at Turf Moor for one thing. Shinji Kagawa picked up a yellow card and will be suspened for another thing. Given their position, just above the relegation zone, they'll be under a lot more pressure than they were today.

FAC4_Burnley_report.thumb.png.52e3066c5025fc7da48021dfe6983f1e.png

FAC4_Burnley_stats.thumb.png.fc280798d9a19d72baab2645af15ecfb.png

FAC4_Burnley_analysis.thumb.png.71acc716597f933e0ed0cabcff2c8992.png

25 minutes ago, coady said:

Oh dear, I presume that's any hope of an FA Cup run gone?

Fortunately Andre Wisdom was able to play, @coady... and our FA Cup run continues.

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 25 January 2021

FA CUP TRIP TO ANFIELD FOR RAMS

RamsFanzine: Derby County have been drawn against Liverpool in the 5th Round of the F.A. Cup. The tie will take place at Anfield on Tuesday 16th February 2021.

25012019_FAC5_draw_Liverpool.thumb.png.9d0424e3fac70f3395c861cca24258f7.png

Game date: Tuesday 26 January 2021

Pre-match v Burnley (a) - Premier League (24)

Match Preview

EPL24_Burnley_preview.thumb.png.7b2a59a929c84b38c666f2fd8fa72caa.png

RamsFanzine: You beat Burnley in the FA Cup three days ago, does that give you the upper hand today?

Stuniverse: I don't think so. Obviously it gives us confidence knowing we can beat Burnley 2-0 as we did on Saturday in the cup, and 3-1 as we did earlier in the season. But both those games were at Pride Park. It'll be a different game altogether at Turf Moor tonight.

Team Selection

EPL24_Burnley_selection.thumb.png.32358626881b60680250762d6f847f4a.png

RamsFanzine: You go with the same team that beat Burnley on Saturday. Although do you need to brush up on the rules?

Stuniverse: Yes, I do [laughs]. Shinji Kagawa picked up a suspension for yellow cards last time and I thought he'd miss today, but he's eligible as his suspension is for the next FA Cup game. So we stick with the team that beat Burnley in the cup. There's one change on the bench as Louie Sibley has a minor groin issue which presents a chance for Albie Morgan if needed.

Post-match: Burnley (0) 1-1 (0) Derby County

RamsFanzine: For a while there in the second half it looked like you were going to beat Burnley again. Are you happy with the draw?

Stuniverse: No, not really. We reached the last 20 minutes 1-0 up, thanks to Jack Marriott's strike, so it was disappointing not to see the game out for a win. But this is a tough league and any away point in the Premier League has to be seen as a good point.

EPL24_Burnley_lgTab.thumb.png.471f075e7df1acd1af79917aa7d1f338.png

RamsFanzine: You've dropped a place to 10th but have a seven point cushion over Wolves in 11th, and a 15 point gap to the bottom three. You must be pleased with that? 

Stuniverse: Yes. We're delighted with our season so far. I'm very proud of the players.

RamsFanzine: The transfer window closes soon, can we expect any business from Derby?

Stuniverse: You'll need to ask Igor. I know he's working on some things, both in and out, but I'm not sure where we're at with anything right now and he may run out of time.

EPL24_Burnley_report.thumb.png.4b8d56e05d96f011c52e2660189372e9.png

EPL24_Burnley_stats.thumb.png.44792303245696a41258a705894e8412.png

EPL24_Burnley_analysis.thumb.png.df32809dd1701305135ff74f2788213b.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: Sunday 31 January 2021

Pre-match v West Ham United (H) - Premier League (25)

Match Preview

EPL25_WestHam_preview.thumb.png.c3a7234ee84cdecfa76b7819be343c24.png

RamsFanzine: West Ham have only won once in their last six matches. Can you defeat the Hammers today?

Stuniverse: We've looked good in training and are confident of doing just that. But it won't be easy. I'm sure Michael Laudrup will have West Ham very well organised.

Team Selection

EPL25_WestHam_selection.thumb.png.0a842091f272caed231ed878f374cc9c.png

RamsFanzine: No changes again. You've now picked the same starting 11 for the last three matches. Is this your best 11?

Stuniverse: I wouldn't say I have a best 11, or a settled team. We always consider changes for every match but there has to be a reason to change. We don't believe in making changes for changes sake. On this recent run, there's been no reason to change anything.

Post-match: Derby County (1) 1-0 (0) West Ham United

RamsFanzine: That was some strike from Marriott to win this one, wasn't it?

Stuniverse: You can say that again. Jack doesn't score that many from outside the penalty area and that was a screamer. He's now scored 11 in the Premier League this season and 15 in all competitions. But I thought every single player performed well today and our defensive work was outstanding.

EPL25_WestHam_lgTab.thumb.png.29707175482f5f10f5352f4879dcd4a8.png

RamsFanzine: The transfer window closes tomorrow at 11.00 pm. Your Director of Football has been very cagey with us. Are you expecting any business to happen?

Stuniverse: I can't add to anything Igor may, or may not, have told you but, if I was you, I'd plan for a late night.

EPL25_WestHam_report.thumb.png.e6753161ff41ec5200278fbbc1ddf6f8.png

EPL25_WestHam_stats.thumb.png.2b467e657720085771af4626a44cc039.png

EPL25_WestHam_analysis.thumb.png.845abe142e5067de7406be175af92cc1.png

Game date: 1 February 2021 - TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

DERBY CHASING BENATIA

RamsFanzine: Derby County Director of Football Igor Stimac is still trying to sign 33-year old centre-back Medhi Benatia from Lazio. Earlier this window, Benatia's agent confirmed the player wanted to see out his contract at Lazio before moving on in the summer. With time running out, it remains to be seen whether Igor can convince Benatia to join the Rams.

01022021_benatia_bid.thumb.png.605fb93e12afc1d509173fee491d6d22.png

01022021_benatia_cancel.thumb.png.9d658c5eb6a0f77562f78c5cad44549a.png

01022021_benatia.thumb.png.54c8cc25dd584ae554c8e33d2fb13b50.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 1 February 2021 - TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

RANGERS SIGN RODRIGUES

RamsFanzine: Derby County's 26-year old left-back Kevin Rodrigues has been granted a work permit and is set to join Rangers, in the Scottish Premier League, for a fee of £1.3M.

Rodrigues joined the Rams for £1.9M in January 2020 and went on to make eight appearances for Derby County.

01022021_rodrigues_sold.thumb.png.f33b16423d704947ef5db688ce32771b.png

01022021_rodrigues.thumb.png.f5487bff0ab67b57326d5d3dec0dcec4.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 1 February 2021 - TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

DERBY SIGN SEPE

RamsFanzine: Derby County Director of Football Igor Stimac has signed 29-year old goalkeeper Luigi Sepe from Napoli for a fee of £1.2M. Sepe has signed a contract until the summer of 2024.

This signing throws into doubt the future of current back-up goalkeeper Kelle Roos.

01022021_sepe_wp.thumb.png.b6178b2ebde173706fffe1124f39b0a2.png

01022021_sepe_confirmed.thumb.png.3901949fbad922d09ea7d0dbc7c963db.png

01022021_sepe_signs.thumb.png.fed5d110841b057be58f0e92f55fbc3c.png

01022021_sepe.thumb.png.dc72c16950f4da5b287138751409529a.png

01022021_roos.thumb.png.de6892c8b2211242de1afff80217877a.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 1 February 2021 - TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

MILNER SNUBS RAMS

RamsFanzine understand that 35-year old midfield utility player James Milner has rejected the opportunity to join Derby County.  Liverpool accepted a £550K bid from the Rams but Director of Football Igor Stimac was unable to agree personal terms with Milner.

01022021_milner_offer.thumb.png.d94149e7e1a0aaa6f8d418d8c1965bc7.png

01022021_milner_snub.thumb.png.59761d082d8829e6d718975c6a673447.png

01022021_milner.thumb.png.e765465fd3b4c155e3d134dfadf75117.png

RAMS SIGN BROGAN

RamsFanzine: Director of Football Igor Stimac has confirmed the £1.1M signing of 18-year old midfielder Nicky Brogan from Barnsley on a deal that runs until the summer of 2024.

01022021_brogan_signs.thumb.png.431b0bc46bee4f434a7994cc27e6fe0b.png

01022021_brogan_signs2.thumb.png.1a7a16cfc18453f3b5d7c0cc58ebcece.png

01022021_brogan.thumb.png.70c89deb4803f83d3c1e16baba686f81.png

ESPANYOL REJECT RAMS MANDI BID

RamsFanzine understand that Derby County attempted to sign 29-year old Algerian centre-back Aissa Mandi from Espanyol in the final hours of transfer deadline day without success. Director of Football Igor Stimac saw a bid in the region of £8.75M rejected by Espanyol as time was running out.

A club source told us that too much time was wasted pursuing Lazio's Medhi Benatia, when it was clear Benatia had no intention of signing, and left it too late to move onto Espanyol's Aissa Mandi. Even then though, there were suggestions that had Stimac pursued a loan, rather than a permanent deal, Mandi may have ended the day as a Derby County player.

01022021_mandi_bid_rejected.thumb.png.444c5e70b3d20d6d1a61599075f9b458.png

01022021_mandi.thumb.png.0c3b7f55b656ffc45559272095ea0802.png

Game date: 1 February 2021

TRANSFER WINDOW CLOSED

RamsFanzine: In somewhat of an anti-climax of a transfer window, Derby County Director of Football Igor Stimac transacted some business but nothing of note to excite the Rams fans.

In came Luigi Sepe, a 29-year old Italian goalkeeper from Napoli, who we expect will be back-up to Pau Lopez and an 18-year old midfielder, Nicky Brogan from Barnsley, who is likely to join the Rams U23 squad.

Out went Kevin Rodrigues to Rangers and four young Rams went out on loan.

THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY

Most noteably, in a disappointing transfer window, were the ones that got away. Rams manager Stuniverse has been saying all season that he needs more strength at centre-back, yet attempts to sign Medhi Benatia and Aissa Mandi ended in failure, with sources at the club saying Stimac left things too late and ran out of time.

Derby also saw a bid for 35-year old midfield utility player James Milner accepted by Liverpool but Stimac was unable to agree personal terms with the player.

Rams manager, Stuniverse, was unvailable for comment.

01022021_transfer_window_closed.thumb.png.9a23beb86cf93f515a5fdbe8cbeb39e7.png

Derby County - INs

01022021_transfer_window_IN.thumb.png.f8392b0f3551b1f8a7961cf573c909a2.png

Derby County - OUTs

01022021_transfer_window_OUT.thumb.png.1df40d72f3d9973e9987b0d9f2f4acc2.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Well Igor tried atleast. Good news is you sold Rodrigues, Brogan looks like he could develop into a 1st 11 player, your in the top 10, still in the FA Cup even though it's in Anfield, and youth intake day is about a month away. 

How frustrating is that! 2 players you don’t need and no CB. There must be a few transfer listed or loan CBs he could’ve picked up.

You’ve done amazingly well with what you have this season. Fingers crossed Smalling and Wisdom stay fit for the run in, and hopefully a decent defensive prospect is in your youth intake.

A bit of a disappointment that Igor failed to sign a CB, he had all month, had one target and then on deadline day tried to move for someone else.  

Maybe it's a limitation of the game and in future games they could look at their being more conversation options between the manager and DoF, the relationship between the two are very important in real life and i'd love to see the game move to make this more realistic.  Whilst transfers are a big part of the game, that I enjoy anyway, they are not something many managers (especially in PL and CH) have a lot to do with in terms of transfer fees and discussing contracts so I'd like to see the game move to more of a real life approach. 

Game date: 2 February 2021

STIMAC DELIGHTED WITH NEW SIGNINGS

RamsFanzine: Derby County's Director of Football Igor Stimac expressed his delight with the Rams new signings Luigi Sepe and Nicky Brogan.

02022021_stimac_pc.thumb.png.9a27dfa6b635ad4dc6403dbe8cf4fa93.png

14 hours ago, JaytheGreat said:

Well Igor tried at least. Good news is you sold Rodrigues, Brogan looks like he could develop into a 1st 11 player, your in the top 10, still in the FA Cup even though it's in Anfield, and youth intake day is about a month away. 

Thanks, @JaytheGreat.

Yes, Igor tried to sign a CB but spent the whole window chasing a CB who had no intention of signing for us, or anybody else for that matter, this transfer window. Then in the final few hours he swapped to another CB but couldn't agree a fee with his club. If Igor hadn't spent £2.3M on Sepe and Brogan, would that extra money in the transfer kitty had been enough to get a deal done?

On 16/06/2019 at 09:39, coady said:

Yeah, @coady. That's exactly what Igor did this transfer deadline day. He made three or four  failed bids for Benatia before moving onto the next CB around 19.00 hours with barely four hours left until the deadline. 

6 hours ago, Irobinson69 said:

How frustrating is that! 2 players you don’t need and no CB. There must be a few transfer listed or loan CBs he could’ve picked up.

You’ve done amazingly well with what you have this season. Fingers crossed Smalling and Wisdom stay fit for the run in, and hopefully a decent defensive prospect is in your youth intake.

Very frustrating, @Irobinson69. Very frustrating indeed.

Thank you. With the squad I have at my disposal, I'm delighted with how well we've performed this season... although the injury Gods have smiled on me regarding Smalling and Wisdom. Wisdom went down with a minor groin problem a couple of weeks or so ago but my medical staff passed him fit enough to play.

I've also been getting updates after the last few matches that Wisdom is in need of a rest - I kept playing him, hoping to rest him after the transfer window closed. I probably will need to do that and George Evans is in pole position to step in. Josh Grant is the other player I'd consider.  Dean Russell and Scott MacDonald are the best U18 options.

04022021_evans.thumb.png.92ef51671228810ab77c97ab7663705d.png

04022021_grant.thumb.png.6de673b16efda1c9b4c41c8e29eab303.png

04022021_russell.thumb.png.c4d35312f8073e3b35ba21e8cfd863ba.png

04022021_macdonald.png

43 minutes ago, dap1987 said:

A bit of a disappointment that Igor failed to sign a CB, he had all month, had one target and then on deadline day tried to move for someone else.  

Maybe it's a limitation of the game and in future games they could look at their being more conversation options between the manager and DoF, the relationship between the two are very important in real life and i'd love to see the game move to make this more realistic.  Whilst transfers are a big part of the game, that I enjoy anyway, they are not something many managers (especially in PL and CH) have a lot to do with in terms of transfer fees and discussing contracts so I'd like to see the game move to more of a real life approach. 

Yes, I'm very disappointed Igor didn't sign a CB when he was clearly looking for one.

There certainly seemed to be an issue, @dap1987, with Igor fixated over Benatia - he must've made at least eight bids during the transfer window, including three or four on deadline day, and getting the same failed result each time, before moving on to the next one.

Game date: 6 February 2021

WILSON SUFFERS INJURY SET-BACK

RamsFanzine: Harry Wilson felt his hamstring tighten in training today and now seems set for a spell on the sidelines.

Fortunately for Derby County, the Rams don’t have a fixture this weekend due to Chelsea, their scheduled opponents, EURO Cup commitments. The fixture has been rearranged for Tuesday 9th March.

In other news, U18 players Dean Russell and Scott MacDonald, who can both play CB and FB, are training with the Rams senior squad.

06022021_wilson_inj.thumb.png.a3047efa29f2a010f64cd0793dbfbb00.png

04022021_russell.thumb.png.f9671dd1096f547896fa40a79ce29da6.png

04022021_macdonald.thumb.png.eb2627fccd1c7bb816405aa1045de559.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 6 February 2021

RAMS PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT THIS SUMMER

RamsFanzine: A quick look at the Derby County out-of-contract players this summer suggests that the defensive frustrations Rams manager Stuniverse has with his Director of Football Igor Stimac  are likely to come to a head this summer.

Stuniverse only has two recognised CBs available to him in captain Chris Smalling and Andre Wisdom who, himself, is more of a converted right-back. Smalling and Wisdom have both been ever presents in the Premier League this season, making 28 appearances a piece in all competitions. Wisdom has also played three times for Jamaica this season.

Wisdom is one of four senior players who's contracts expire at the end of this season and, if his contract isn't extended, then Smalling will be the only recognised CB the Rams have on their books.

06022021_outofcontractendseasonj.thumb.png.7d0c75cf4c342c0d1571b729e44b3c4c.png

George Evans and Josh Grant have been the consistent U23 CB partnership this season and are the two players Stuniverse has said are the CB back-ups. Both Evans and Grant will be out of contract this summer. Grant and Evans have both made two starts in the Carabao Cup this season, with Evans making three other substitute appearances.  Evans is known to be unhappy at Derby County and wanting to leave for a new challenge. Even if Evans is offered a new contract, there's no guarantee he'll sign it.

The other player out of contract this summer is winger / striker Martyn Waghorn who has made 21 appearances this season in all competitions but has only started six times.

As well as the out of contract players, the loan players Harry Wilson, Mason Mount and Kenedy will all return to their parent clubs this summer. Wilson, Mount and Kenedy have all been key players this season.

Finally, despite Stuniverse's contract being extended to the end of the 2024/25 season, the contracts of Igor Stimac [DoF], Aljosa Asanovic [AM], Stefano Eranio [FTC] and Mart Poom [GKC] are all due to expire at the end of this season.

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: 12 February 2021

MARROTT OFF TO MLS?

RamsFanzine understand that Major League Soccer side Atlanta United have made a £12.75M bid for Rams top scorer Jack Mariott. Derby County Director of Football Igor Stimac has rejected the offer. It's not known if Atlanta will return with an improved bid.

12022021_Marriott_bid_rejected.thumb.png.46f977c3552cf1427ea7f95f98aef694.png

12022021_Marriott.thumb.png.14aed6258a9b331f6f9302fc2d561927.png

Edited by Stuniverse

Game date: Saturday 13 February 2021

Pre-match v Huddersfield Town (a) - Premier League (26)

Match Preview

EPL26_Huddersfield_preview.thumb.png.3b931a16441ffb5f917d04f724a2742e.png

RamsFanzine: What are your thoughts on the transfer window?

Stuniverse: We got a new back-up goalkeeper and an U23 prospect. It's disappointing that Igor's attempts to bring in a centre-back were unsuccessful.

RamsFanzine: It's twelve matches since bottom club Huddersfield last won, taking a measly 4 points from 33, so you must have a great chance of winning at the John Smith's Stadium, haven't you?

Stuniverse: Huddersfield are on a poor run, true enough, but we couldn't beat them at our place in September, playing out a nil-nil draw, and we know they're a better team than their form suggests. Slaven Bilic has only been in charge about a month and I'm sure he'll be doing everything he can to motivate his players.

Team Selection

EPL26_Huddersfield_selection.thumb.png.a49283198f5807e490589400d9cf7062.png

RamsFanzine: Just the one change today, plus a change on the bench?

Stuniverse: Yes. Harry Wilson has a hamstring problem so Mason Bennett starts. Martin Naylor (ankle) is back in training but he's not quite ready yet. New signing Luigi Sepe takes the back-up goalkeeper slot on the bench, although Kelle Roos hasn't done anything wrong.

Post-match: Huddersfield Town (0) 0-3 (0) Derby County

RamsFanzine: At half-time it looked like being another nil-nil, but your side looked a completely different team after the break. What did you say to them?

Stuniverse: Just bits and bobs. Nothing significant. Football's a game of small margins and I told them to keep doing what they were doing, to believe in themselves. After having a couple of months out with a broken toe, I was delighted for Mason Bennett scoring two goals in his first start since. Martyn Waghorn showed the importance of having a squad when he came off the bench to score the third.

EPL26_Huddersfield_Lowe_inj.thumb.png.e3c4be99a9805e2efbe6adb719aed315.png

EPL26_Huddersfield_Hughes_inj.thumb.png.ff88a685ffe1db2eb0f6d135618d1631.png

RamsFanzine: Lowe limped off and Hughes was limping by the end. How are they?

Stuniverse: Will Hughes has a bruised ankle so he'll be fine in a few days. How unlucky was Max Lowe? I push Kenedy forward and bring on Max at left-back to solidify things and within a few minutes he's kicked hard and going off himself. I wasn't happy about that at all. It looks like Max has pulled knee ligaments but, hopefully, it won't be too bad.

EPL26_Huddersfield_lgTab.thumb.png.f115d7375675e2eb2fbb8ff34de9922d.png

RamsFanzine: Most clubs target 40 points to stay up although in the last couple of seasons 35 has been enough. With 12 games left to play, you've already got 41 points. Just how happy are you with that?

Stuniverse: I'm absolutely delighted. Last season we stayed up on goal difference. This season we're performing well enough to be in the top half of the Premier League. The players deserve all the credit in the world. They've worked so hard in training, fully bought into what we're trying to do here and, most importantly, they've had the strength of character to take that onto the pitch and perform when it really matters. This is an amazing squad of players and I'm so proud to be their manager.

EPL26_Huddersfield_report.thumb.png.815eb67ab551a9ed557a9e0c2182849c.png

EPL26_Huddersfield_stats.thumb.png.1d12fdc9200082066c3e223c7b02c5fb.png

EPL26_Huddersfield_analysis.thumb.png.677c654f91794ed42183f67c1ead04b3.png

Edited by Stuniverse

1 hour ago, Tajerio said:

Yikes.  Igor's got a lot to sort out by/during this summer.  Better look into cloning Smalling.

Yikes indeed, @Tajerio.

That’s if Igor Stimac still has a job as his contract runs out at the end of the season.

Derby County owner Mel Morris is responsible for manager and director of football recruitment and contracts. Igor is responsible for everybody else’s recruitment and contracts.

When Mel offered me a new deal, he didn’t offer Igor one at the same time.

Edited by Stuniverse

Hypothetical question (at this stage)

[Game date: February 2021]

My DoF’s contract is due to expire on 30/06/2021. If Igor Stimac is not offered a new deal, and is out of a job on 01/07/2021, what happens to the save?

Edited by Stuniverse

4 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

My DoF’s contract is due to expire on 30/06/2021. If Igor Stimac is not offered a new deal, and is out of a job on 01/07/2021, what happens to the save?

Hmmmmm, could you rehire or you offer him a new deal?

Or find another Derby legend who may actually sign a couple of cb’s

7 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

I'd like to see the save keep going, maybe take a look to see if Frank Lampard has a job somewhere in the summer. 

Thank you, @JaytheGreat, @Mrlee.1986 and @samboing for your responses to my hypothetical question.

If Igor loses his job, the save will continue. For me the natural end to the save is when I get sacked (or, if I’m still in a job by November in-real-life), when FM20 comes out).

I think the save would need to continue with a DoF as that’s the premise of the save but the questions then (still hypothetical at this point) would be:

1 - How is that DoF appointed? (Do I rely on the owner Mel Morris to appoint one? [Will the AI do that or will it let me manage with no DoF indefinitely?] or do I force it maybe by a) a job advert and see who applies, or b) allowing myself (or maybe you guys via a vote on here of leading candidates) to choose); and:

2 - Is there a temporary transfer embargo until a new DoF is appointed, or does the owner take over DoF responsibilities until a new DoF is appointed, or do I get a brief respite where I can make signings and sales myself?

But, at the moment, it’s all hypothetical. My guess is Igor’s and other contracts will get renewed at the end of the season which is the time when Igor (AI) has previously renewed player and staff contracts (if he was going to).

Edited by Stuniverse

3 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

Fantastic read so far and great to see you avoiding relegation so comfortably this campaign. KUTGW mate!

Thank you, @DavidBeckham for your kind words. I’m glad you’re enjoying the save. I’m thoroughly enjoying it (first time I’ve done a Career Update on here) and it’s nice to know others are enjoying it too. Best wishes.

Edited by Stuniverse