Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Au79Pico

Tons of shots no Goals, need help tbh

Recommended Posts

Hey guys 1st of all let me say thank you in advance for your time.
 
Just picked fm2019 last week and been enjoying the new stuff but im having this problem that everything is working fine but... putting it in the net which is the most important lol i have games with 20+ shots and only 1 or even no goals.
 
I tried to figure it out but nothing logical comes to my mind i rly have no idea why my players can finish, it's not like i have a ton of shots from long range as well, any help is appreciated, thanks again.

my tactic
https://prnt.sc/m5rjmp
https://prnt.sc/m5rjsy
https://prnt.sc/m5rjx0
https://prnt.sc/m5rk05

some matches as examples
vs Tondela stats - https://prnt.sc/m5rkbt
vs Tondela shots - https://prnt.sc/m5rmlr
vs Nacional stats - https://prnt.sc/m5rkno
vs Nacional shots - https://prnt.sc/m5rlt5
vs Rio Ave stats - https://prnt.sc/m5rl1p
vs Rio Ave shots- https://prnt.sc/m5rm95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on this would be that with your high intensity pressing game you are forcing your opponents back into their own half but then when you get the ball you want to play a slow passing game within that consequently limited space.  You then play narrow too, so you are limiting the space further. Shots then in turn tend to be from around the edge of the area or in tight congested spaces.

I've done similar things with a different formation and often lead into the same issues you have been facing here.

The way I have started to solve this personally is to open up the pitch to my team by reducing my pressing game, encouraging the opposition to come out a little and therefore leave more spaces in between the lines for my team to them play their football in.

More width will help too. I'm guessing you have added narrow because you are playing the diamond formation? Personally I find this isn't needed. You then have two narrow CMs as BWMs plus your CDM and CAM are both on support duties so moving around in the same space also. Maybe try Carrileros for the 2 CMs so they sit wider and stretch play a little more.

You may find you have slightly less shots, but they may well be from better positions. Your opposition will have more time to play too of course, but as the superior team in your league this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Some will no doubt have different views, but that's the beauty of football I guess.

Hope this at least gives you something to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, metcow said:

My take on this would be that with your high intensity pressing game you are forcing your opponents back into their own half but then when you get the ball you want to play a slow passing game within that consequently limited space.  You then play narrow too, so you are limiting the space further. Shots then in turn tend to be from around the edge of the area or in tight congested spaces.

I've done similar things with a different formation and often lead into the same issues you have been facing here.

The way I have started to solve this personally is to open up the pitch to my team by reducing my pressing game, encouraging the opposition to come out a little and therefore leave more spaces in between the lines for my team to them play their football in.

More width will help too. I'm guessing you have added narrow because you are playing the diamond formation? Personally I find this isn't needed. You then have two narrow CMs as BWMs plus your CDM and CAM are both on support duties so moving around in the same space also. Maybe try Carrileros for the 2 CMs so they sit wider and stretch play a little more.

You may find you have slightly less shots, but they may well be from better positions. Your opposition will have more time to play too of course, but as the superior team in your league this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Some will no doubt have different views, but that's the beauty of football I guess.

Hope this at least gives you something to think about.

thank you for your input, your points make sense so ill change bit by bit and test, thx for the help m8

about using carrileros i thought about that in fm2018 but it didnt really work they didnt really fall to the sides even with that instruction to stay open but i might also try that.

Edited by Au79Pico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, metcow said:

My take on this would be that with your high intensity pressing game you are forcing your opponents back into their own half but then when you get the ball you want to play a slow passing game within that consequently limited space.  You then play narrow too, so you are limiting the space further. Shots then in turn tend to be from around the edge of the area or in tight congested spaces.

I've done similar things with a different formation and often lead into the same issues you have been facing here. 

The way I have started to solve this personally is to open up the pitch to my team by reducing my pressing game, encouraging the opposition to come out a little and therefore leave more spaces in between the lines for my team to them play their football in. 

More width will help too. I'm guessing you have added narrow because you are playing the diamond formation? Personally I find this isn't needed. You then have two narrow CMs as BWMs plus your CDM and CAM are both on support duties so moving around in the same space also. Maybe try Carrileros for the 2 CMs so they sit wider and stretch play a little more.

You may find you have slightly less shots, but they may well be from better positions. Your opposition will have more time to play too of course, but as the superior team in your league this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Some will no doubt have different views, but that's the beauty of football I guess.

Hope this at least gives you something to think about.

So what would be like the best setting for playing long ball to 2 or 3 fast strikers (and which roles) to play long passes and score from that ? Because you can like lower defensive line, or pressing or counterpressing, or line of eng. but then the opponent will attack more and have more opportinities and might score

 

I mean like to get my strikers a little closer to the middle of the pitch and opponent defenders too so they will leave huge gap between them and GK

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Au79Pico said:

thank you for your input, your points make sense so ill change bit by bit and test, thx for the help m8

about using carrileros i thought about that in fm2018 but it didnt really work they didnt really fall to the sides even with that instruction to stay open but i might also try that.

You are most welcome. 

If you don't like the carrilero option, you could think about dropping your CAM into CM role with an attack duty. That would widen the play in the centre a bit and then your central player should still push on towards your strikers as you attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

So what would be like the best setting for playing long ball to 2 or 3 fast strikers (and which roles) to play long passes and score from that ? Because you can like lower defensive line, or pressing or counterpressing, or line of eng. but then the opponent will attack more and have more opportinities and might score

 

I mean like to get my strikers a little closer to the middle of the pitch and opponent defenders too so they will leave huge gap between them and GK

Without seeing your tactic it's tough, but what you seem to describe is a direct counter attack tactic. You want space between their defence and GK so you need to encourage them out a deep counter attack is therefore the logical option.

You want your strikers central and on the defenders shoulders so a poacher role seems the most obvious option for one of them.  The old fashioned target-man - poacher combination would be my choice for this type of system if you have suitable players. A pacy poacher would be nice if you are looking to exploit the space in behind.

Have a look at the pre-defined Direct Counter Attack tactic for team instructions and develop it from there.

Like you said though, you have to accept the opposition will have time on the ball in your half, probably more possession and shots too so a lot will depend on the defensive shape you start with to make sure those shots don't come from good positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One Needs to look at all  Matches first to determeine how "bad" Things are. If you look at "some" of them, you will find this. Given that Porto in real Football are playing against defensive Opposition a bit, how would they else ever drop Points.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1104285/MatchReport/Portugal-Liga-NOS-2016-2017-FC-Porto-Vitoria-de-Setubal
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1104192/MatchReport/Portugal-Liga-NOS-2016-2017-Pacos-de-Ferreira-FC-Porto
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1104147/MatchReport/Portugal-Liga-NOS-2016-2017-Vitoria-de-Setubal-FC-Porto

 

It's easy to just "cherry pick" -- to work out your actual conversion you can look into the team reports under stats. How does the Shot conversion compare to Opposition. The forward profiles have shot conversion numbers too. On some days, the forwards don#t seem to hit a cows arse. Point Drops despite actually "Domination" are meant to be a part of this game. Unfortunately, AI tends to Play very defensive to the Point that they don't even much try to attack for the 90 minutes, so on FM's statistical and Feedback in General, you "will dominate" every game every week. E.g. have x moar shots every single week. Unfortunately though, having x more shots isN't at all dominating Opposition even in real Football and even then Points are being dropped.
 

That said, this tactic Looks like it's trying to go possession based, but it's also pushing loads of Players Forward where eventually the defensive Teams will camp, which may contribute to Things a bit. Against Nacional you had a whopping 26! Corners. Was there any football played in that match? :DUsually most shots (oft headers unde rpressure and/or stuff in crowded spaces in generally ) after Corners are relatively easilyish saved or blocked. Just as an ado, as above the tactical advice, this is useful to consider. 

Edited by Svenc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, metcow said:

Without seeing your tactic it's tough, but what you seem to describe is a direct counter attack tactic. You want space between their defence and GK so you need to encourage them out a deep counter attack is therefore the logical option.

You want your strikers central and on the defenders shoulders so a poacher role seems the most obvious option for one of them.  The old fashioned target-man - poacher combination would be my choice for this type of system if you have suitable players. A pacy poacher would be nice if you are looking to exploit the space in behind.

Have a look at the pre-defined Direct Counter Attack tactic for team instructions and develop it from there.

Like you said though, you have to accept the opposition will have time on the ball in your half, probably more possession and shots too so a lot will depend on the defensive shape you start with to make sure those shots don't come from good positions.

did a few changes, and its working better https://prnt.sc/m5vx19 thx again for your help m8

 

if anyone wants to know this is how im using my tactic now https://prnt.sc/m5vxbq https://prnt.sc/m5vxev https://prnt.sc/m5vxi8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your distribution of roles and duties is extremely one-dimensional. It is something that is so striking at first glance already. Considering both roles/duties and team instructions, you probably have a lot of possession, but very little actual penetration, since your only attack-duty players (and deep runners) are your CWBs.

And even if you aren't conceding many goals at the moment, your defense looks very vulnerable to counter-attacks, so in addition to your attacking/scoring issues, you need to do something to make your defensive side of the game more solid as soon as possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, metcow said:

Without seeing your tactic it's tough, but what you seem to describe is a direct counter attack tactic. You want space between their defence and GK so you need to encourage them out a deep counter attack is therefore the logical option.

You want your strikers central and on the defenders shoulders so a poacher role seems the most obvious option for one of them.  The old fashioned target-man - poacher combination would be my choice for this type of system if you have suitable players. A pacy poacher would be nice if you are looking to exploit the space in behind.

Have a look at the pre-defined Direct Counter Attack tactic for team instructions and develop it from there.

Like you said though, you have to accept the opposition will have time on the ball in your half, probably more possession and shots too so a lot will depend on the defensive shape you start with to make sure those shots don't come from good positions.

It looks like this, but depend of the opponent I try to set it to exploit opponent weakness like poor left/right defender I put Guedes higher or changing them to wingers and attack by wings if they have DM with 2x CM or 2x DM etc

 

At home I have mostly great results, but away it's more like random in CL, I think I have most problems with opponents using 4-2-3-1 Wide

Taktyka 442.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×