Sports Interactive Community
Faroe

4-2-3-1 problems. Hamburg

Hello! I mainly download custom tactics, but once in an FM while I get bored of that. I started up a save with Hamburg, got promotion with the same tactic below. Same'ish tactic got me Europa League spot the next season. Lately I haven't been scoring any goals (Keep in mind, I do get around 10-20 shots per game), and conceded quite a lot. I compensated by moving my Ball-Winning Midfielder further back, so he wouldn't chase around in the AMC area. I've also sometimes switched between IF and Winger on the right side. Nothing seems to give me any consistent results though,

If there are any immediate weaknesses you can see, please respond. I'm gonna go to sleep after I finish this post, but I will happily get some screenshots in the morning, if you need more stuff to go by. In any case, thanks for reading this at least.

fm_2019-01-11_00-10-16.jpg

Your tactic is obviously very vulnerable defensively - not only because of higher DL and higher LOE but even more because of extremely urgent pressing and on top of all that - counter-press. Tight marking can also be very risky when combined with so aggressive defending style. And you are playing on a relatively high mentality (positive), which only makes it worse. 

And it's not only defending (out-of-possession) instructions that contribute to this defensive vulnerability, but also some in possession. More precisely - focus play and overlap on both flanks, which increases the mentalities of your fullbacks, who are already on pretty much attack-minded roles (WB on support). I fear that DLP on defend and BWM aren't sufficient to cover for all these weaknesses. Even if you used an anchor-man instead of BWM, you would probably still have a lot of issues.

On the attacking phase of the game, the major cause of your bad performance is too many team instructions at the same time. This is a kind of mistake that many (if not most) people are consistently making. 

You have a lot of instructions, there's far too many to be able to explain exactly what they do with your system and how they interact with each other