Boro 2nd Season - Need DC

Mike J

I'm currently managing Boro and am in the summer of 2019, having got promoted to the PL in my first season. I'm struggling a bit to find some decent players to strengthen the side. I'm looking for a DC, preferably one ready to slot straight into the first team, though somebody who's almost at that level with room to improve would work too. I have about £25m for transfers but I'd prefer to spend around £7-10m if possible as I've got other areas to strengthen too. Any ideas?

You might want to check Nehuén Paz from Bologna if you need a solid, unfussy center back, usually for the transfer price of around £2.5-4m. Tall, very good Balance and Concentration, Italian second nationality with Resolute personality to boot.

Svetozar Markovic is usually around available for about in  £2.5m in january, shouldn't be that much more after a season. Has lots of room to grow. Maybe not quite first XI ready, but he'll quickly become a key player with some development. You might not get a work permit for him though, so you'll might have to loan him out a couple of seasons.

Nikola Milenkovic is worth scouting, probably a bit more expensive (around £15m first transfer window), but also more developed and can probably slot straight into your first XI. Lots of potential here as well.

Wesley Hoedt is worth checking out for someone who'll be a first team regular. What you see is pretty much what you get. Won't develop much, but is a great player and has a great personality to boot. Left footed which I think is a big bonus as I like having a left footed CB at LCB and right footed at RCB.

Not sure how much you've used him, but I'd keep Dael Fry in your starting XI as well. Great player at this level, and with the right development he'll do a job for you even as you become a challenger for european spots.

Others you might want to check the availability of (but who might be too expensive for you):

Nico Elvedi, Nathan Ake, Jamaal Lascelles, Rob Holding, Fabian Balbuena (sometimes transfer listed, wouldn't bother with him if not), Steve Cook, Kristoffer Ajer and Yeray.

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Mbemba turned out to be quite expensive but I eventually managed to secure a deal for Zagadou who has developed quite well and is nearly ready for the first team. It was pretty pricey (more than I originally planned) but probably worth it as an investment for the next 3-5 years. Annoyingly I missed out on David Luiz on loan from Chelsea as he went to Celtic, presumably for European football. I'll check out some of the other suggestions though as I still need some depth - Paz looks pretty good. Fry's developed well enough to start in the PL so I'm looking at having a young defence next season, hopefully marshalled by an older, more experienced head.

Archived