Player wants to leave! Game is broken

Hey all

I love FM and have played it for years. But the new player dynamics and interaction is broken. I have a career at Real Madrid, first season. I am first in the table at the moment and just won The Club World Cup.

Then the transfer window starts and PSG makes an offer on Varane and Man Utd on Isco - with lots more clubs interested in my other players. Varane and Isco are core players with big influence and start every time they can (not in cup). But now they both wants to leave the club and there is nothing I can do to convince them to stay. I mean it is really messed up. I don’t have a chance.

The clubs have asked players to say nice things about them and say “change to us”. But you can’t comment on these things. But every time the press have asked about interest from other clubs I have denied any interest in selling - with certainty.

And starting a new career won’t help, as it surely will happen again!!

damn I’m frustrated!

3 hours ago, johnsie said:

Aside from playing them and this being his first season what is he supposed to do? He is correct that in reality there is more he can do when something like this occurs.

First would be to look at WHY they want to move. That's a start to a possible fix already.

2 minutes ago, johnsie said:

Why would they want to move in these circumstances and what would you be looking at?

POSSIBLE reasons could be much higher wages or a more important squad member, but there are more. I would look at the player's actual reason for wanting to go. They tell you in the first conversation you have with them.

Despite players are clearly reasoning their unhappiness, I feel that the players become unhappy too easily at the moment in certain situations. For example I joined to Bayern Munchen after couple of successful seasons in Italy so I wasn't really Mr Nobody. Liverpool and Man City started chasing 2 of my players and they immediately wanted to move on because they wanted to win the Champions League. That is very odd for the reasons:

1) Bayern is a strong team including star players like Pogba and Bayern's old stars are still in very good shape. Good candidate for the CL winner?

2.) Bayern won CL just few seasons ago. Still good candidate for winning the CL?

3.) Taking a look into Man City and Liverpool rosters and reputations they're not better candidates for winning the CL than Bayern.

Nothing gives me evidence that these players' unhappiness is justified in this case.

1 hour ago, silverboot81 said:

1) Bayern is a strong team including star players like Pogba and Bayern's old stars are still in very good shape. Good candidate for the CL winner?

Bayerns old stars will most likely be a bit too old, if you've spend a couple of seasons in Italy prior to joining.

2.) Bayern won CL just few seasons ago. Still good candidate for winning the CL?

Having won CL a few seasons earlier does not make you more likely to win it again a few seasons later.

3.) Taking a look into Man City and Liverpool rosters and reputations they're not better candidates for winning the CL than Bayern.

They don't seem to be worse candidates either and the players seem to like their odds more than Bayerns.

Nothing gives me evidence that these players' unhappiness is justified in this case.

I appreciate the fact that its hard to accept players wanting to leave (for what ever reasons), when you're managing one of the worlds biggest and best clubs. But it's not really that uncommon in real football, especially in recent times.

29 minutes ago, Baodan said:

Bayerns old stars will most likely be a bit too old, if you've spend a couple of seasons in Italy prior to joining.

Having won CL a few seasons earlier does not make you more likely to win it again a few seasons later.

They don't seem to be worse candidates either and the players seem to like their odds more than Bayerns.

I appreciate the fact that its hard to accept players wanting to leave (for what ever reasons), when you're managing one of the worlds biggest and best clubs. But it's not really that uncommon in real football, especially in recent times.

You're right that it is not uncommon in real football. However, what ever the reason is it should be stated clearly and be reasonable. I still don't see the evidence that Man City of Liverpool would be better options for winning the CL than Bayern. If there was something else too I would understand. Like player X prefers to play in England one day or player Y feels that he have achieved everything he can at the current club and wants new challenges/changes to the life (or just got simply bored). Also not to forget that Man City and Liverpool has also old stars in their rosters ;)

I just ignore media speculation, ignore bids from clubs, ignore everything if you do not want to sell. I don't even bother interacting with the media side of the game, or the players asking for meetings, or squad meetings.

Just carry on playing, and it will all work out. 

I had the same in Valencia and I lost Kondogbia to that since at the start PSG wanted to buy him and I couldn't even negotiate the contract he didn't want to talk, he just wanted to leave so I lost him cheap on release clause...;/

After that I am putting release clause like ~~325 mln Euro and contracts 5 years +3 years option for a club since it's better to pay him little bit higher wage from now than to make new contract with higher wage after some time... and now I see even if they want to negotiate because some of them earn really little like young players who are good now most of them are fine saying that they were wondering about new contract but I came to talk to them and it's ok and I don't need to do anything... but I had many argue with players at the start till I get to this point... I was always saying you have a release clause and you are not going anywhere... seems like they adapt and know what's coming if they ask :D

The game is not broken. What is broken is your understanding of how to deal with player unhappiness. If you make a bid for a player, which is rejected, and that player becomes unhappy at his club, do you count this as the game being broken also?

As people have pointed out, why are your players unhappy. Why do they want to leave. These are the first two questions you should answer. The player tells you. You have a load of responses you can make when he tells you too. Address the issue, whatever it is.

You also really do not have to get this worked up about unhappy players. They often stop being unhappy once the interest in them fades. If you do not want to sell, just do not sell. It is okay to be firm on this. People stress way, way too much over this.  There should never really be negative consequences if you manage the squad right. For example, never let the contract of a key player get below 18 months and you will never lose an unhappy player for free.

Also, it is patently stupid to suggest that players should never be interested to leave huge clubs for other huge clubs. Or there are no valid reason. The two obvious ones are more playing time and better wages. The former, particularly for rotation players, is one of the main ones in you will encounter. It makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

The game is not broken. What is broken is your understanding of how to deal with player unhappiness. If you make a bid for a player, which is rejected, and that player becomes unhappy at his club, do you count this as the game being broken also?

As people have pointed out, why are your players unhappy. Why do they want to leave. These are the first two questions you should answer. The player tells you. You have a load of responses you can make when he tells you too. Address the issue, whatever it is.

You also really do not have to get this worked up about unhappy players. They often stop being unhappy once the interest in them fades. If you do not want to sell, just do not sell. It is okay to be firm on this. People stress way, way too much over this.  There should never really be negative consequences if you manage the squad right. For example, never let the contract of a key player get below 18 months and you will never lose an unhappy player for free.

Also, it is patently stupid to suggest that players should never be interested to leave huge clubs for other huge clubs. Or there are no valid reason. The two obvious ones are more playing time and better wages. The former, particularly for rotation players, is one of the main ones in you will encounter. It makes perfect sense.

Sigh. I wouldn't call anyones opinion stupid when you obviously fail to understand part of the problem. You might also ask in many occasions that should the player become unhappy in certain situations.

There is no point in a thread like this! The FM fan boys refuse to accept there is any faults in this game. They will just try to shut down your views.

Anyway, you are right. It is broke for sure. Players in this game cause problems all the time - wanting to leave, unhappy with playing time, get annoyed because one of their team mates get sold, get annoyed when one of their team mates doesn’t get sold. FM have messed about with this part of the game far too much.

The only way to sort out this issue is to just wait for the player to stop sulking and get over it, this shows how broke it is

Maybe it's time to revert the game's player interaction/motivation/ management module to the state of pre FM14/15ish.

Manager applies as a "former Sunday league" Player at Camp Nou.

His points allocated to discipline / generally man management in the creation of his avatar are basically zero.

Immediatley puts Iniesta and Xavi in the reserves.

Then ships Messi to Real Madrid.

Nobody ever makes a fuss About this.

Not the fans.

Not the board.

Nor the press.

Nor the Players themselves who would be content with pretty much anything, just so long as they are playing some football. And that's genuinelly not kidding.

All possible current and future issues fixed in an instant! :D #hardmanmanagexit

23 hours ago, akm.91 said:

There is no point in a thread like this! The FM fan boys refuse to accept there is any faults in this game. They will just try to shut down your views.

Anyway, you are right. It is broke for sure. Players in this game cause problems all the time - wanting to leave, unhappy with playing time, get annoyed because one of their team mates get sold, get annoyed when one of their team mates doesn’t get sold. FM have messed about with this part of the game far too much.

The only way to sort out this issue is to just wait for the player to stop sulking and get over it, this shows how broke it is

It's far from perfect, I don't think anyone is claiming that. But to claim "Players are unhappy because I don't want to sell them so the game is BROKEN" isn't a very good claim. The OP hasn't given us much to go on regarding why they wan't to leave, so it would be very odd if we all just agreed with OP.

It's obviously a fact that many people do not have these issues, I have played multiple seasons with different teams in FM19 and I almost never have issues with my players, when I do it's usually because I've fined someone too hard for a red. So if this happen all the time you might be doing something wrong. Claiming "Broken" might help you vent some of that frustration but it's not actually true.

But never mind me, I'm just a FM fan boy...

On 10/01/2019 at 17:33, Smurf said:

I just ignore media speculation, ignore bids from clubs, ignore everything if you do not want to sell. I don't even bother interacting with the media side of the game, or the players asking for meetings, or squad meetings.

Just carry on playing, and it will all work out. 

That's exactly what I do. Unless its a player I don't like specifically

6 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

That's exactly what I do. Unless its a player I don't like specifically

Hmm interesting. But isn't this affecting players' morale, match performance and (if influential player) eventually to the squad dynamics? If not then I need to forget everything I've ever learnt from human management...

12 minutes ago, silverboot81 said:

Hmm interesting. But isn't this affecting players' morale, match performance and (if influential player) eventually to the squad dynamics? If not then I need to forget everything I've ever learnt from human management...

No they just deem any feature as not important or ignorable in order to defend the game.

Might as well not use the match engine as it has too many long shots eh?

23 hours ago, akm.91 said:

Oh the delicious irony.

2 minutes ago, qwerty22 said:

No they just deem any feature as not important or ignorable in order to defend the game.

Might as well not use the match engine as it has too many long shots eh?

Yeah, that'll be it.  There's some huge conspiracy going on, where people who have no financial stake or anything similar into a product, putting all sanity aside and will defend it to the hilt.  That must be it, it's the only thing that makes any sense.

I mean, the alternative would be that they just don't agree with you, and like that'd happen, eh?

@forameussWith all due respect, A guru of FM like Rashidi who has been advocating the understanding of the game and it's intricacies has just made a strong statement about ignoring a KEY part of the experience of being a manager, This should alarm you more than insulting my intelligence and resorting to unfunny sarcasm.

What a joke

If a player becomes unhappy (wanting a transfer, new contract, etc) and I can't get them back on side, I usually drop them for a few games. That doesn't seem to affect the team's form or dynamics too much. The player comes back into the team when the problem either goes away of its own accord or simply becomes less of a concern to me.

While I've been managing Fiorentina, I've not been afraid to leave out players like Jordan Veretout, Marco Benassi and Domenico Berardi for several weeks because of various grievances. Veretout and Benassi were still important players for me at the end of my fourth season, but Berardi had moved on.

One mistake I did make, though, was continuing to play my captain Federico Chiesa after he got unhappy about my not letting him talk to PSG in January. His unhappiness thankfully didn't spread to the rest of the squad (three players raised concerns, but they backed down when I told them in a meeting that he would be very difficult to replace).

However, Chiesa's performances in the second half of the season were generally mediocre (save for about three excellent games) and probably cost us the title in the end. Maybe things would have gone better had I left him out of the team for a while. Who can know for sure?

14 minutes ago, qwerty22 said:

@forameussWith all due respect, A guru of FM like Rashidi who has been advocating the understanding of the game and it's intricacies has just made a strong statement about ignoring a KEY part of the experience of being a manager, This should alarm you more than insulting my intelligence and resorting to unfunny sarcasm.

What a joke

I should be "alarmed" should I?  Nah, think I'm alright.  If you really think the default reaction to someone playing FM - whether it's Rashidi or not, with the best will in the world to them themselves - and deciding they're going to ignore a feature is "alarm" then I'm fairly sure where the problem lies.  

In all the years being here, I've never really seen anyone who claims the game is perfect and that there are no issues.  It just doesn't happen, no matter how much people like to bleat on like it does.  But everyone is going to have a different opinion on features and how they work.  Some will think it's the worst thing ever done, and others won't even notice it.  If someone is in the latter group, that doesn't make their opinion any less valid, just like with the former group.  But it also doesn't mean that people aren't going to disagree with you.  If people are going to throw their hands up and scream "FANBOY" at anyone who disagrees with them, then clearly their argument isn't going very well.

After reading all these comments I am even more curious if this is intended behaviour of the feature or not. That you simply can ignore the players and eventually they become happy again, sign new contract with the club etc. Because if this is the case, I'd suggest dropping the "simulation" part off from the advertisement.

Too bad I don't have enough time to make a test save where I'd simply ignore all communication, not selling any players etc. That's why I am more interested about hearing successful stories from the others.

I will do an experiment this weekend because I want to buy Lafont he is at Chelsea right now and Kepa plays there he is young so Lafont did't get any chances and I wanted to buy him when he was in Fiorentina I offered even more than Chelsea but they still sold him there and he wants to leave not to join my team he is worth 15mln Euro and they want 76mln Euro... Kepa got injured like for 10 weeks and I am afraid now if Lafont will develop to his level now in 10 weeks so I am making bids 15mln euro and they negotiate to 76, I counter with 15 and so on over and over making morale as low as it gets they draw with Watford first game :P I wonder what will come from this I don't want to pay that much and I am wondering if I will be able to force the transfer, I managed to buy Arthur from Barcelona for less than he was worth but I am not sure cuz I don't remember if he was closer to end of the contract

11 minutes ago, silverboot81 said:

After reading all these comments I am even more curious if this is intended behaviour of the feature or not. That you simply can ignore the players and eventually they become happy again, sign new contract with the club etc. Because if this is the case, I'd suggest dropping the "simulation" part off from the advertisement.

Too bad I don't have enough time to make a test save where I'd simply ignore all communication, not selling any players etc. That's why I am more interested about hearing successful stories from the others.

If I am doing really well, I know I can afford to ignore everything, if I am not doing well, then there are ways and means to manage this behaviour, and as you can tell from the posts here, there are some who ignore it, and there are others who manage it. The real thing no one has told you is how they got to the point where they can afford to ignore it. 

5 minutes ago, silverboot81 said:

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at it.  

If the game is at point A, and player X is unhappy, and you do nothing, then by point B that unhappiness disappears, that doesn't really prove that anything is wrong.  Anything can happen in the interim with hundreds upon hundreds of variables.  It very well could be wrong, of course, but it's not as simple as saying that you ignoring it is the only variable.

The only way to find it if it's intended behaviour is raising it as a bug, so the devs can actually tell you.  They won't do that here.

It has to be accepted that ultimately you are going to lose players you don't want to lose - or risk losing them if you don't get the foundation laid properly. 

For me here's how I deal with it:

- Negotiate an amount I'm willing to accept, or discuss the value with the player through interaction.
- Accept bids that meet this amount and keep the player firmly on side.
- Let the negotiations happen and then finally make my decision.

One of the biggest advantages you have on your side is that in these circumstances, big club to big club transfers one of the major driving factors will be money if you haven't already burned bridges with the player. This can massive play into your hands because the buying club doesn't often want to pay a massive pay-rise if they're already one of your top earners. 

If a player is unhappy, he's likely to accept something more akin to a cut price deal, or equivalent to what he gets now. If he's happy at your club though, it's usually going to take a substantial increase in wages to coax the player. The biggest reason transfers fall through is because the clubs can't agree terms with the players. 

- - -

The best preventative measure I have is to ensure the key players, the ones I don't want to lose no matter what always have 3 years left on their contract. This enables me to "wait-out" (interest subsides after a while of rejection and clubs get their plan B, plan C targets and still being used as a valued member of the squad softens the issue over time it seems) any unhappiness should a club try to unsettle him, big wages and bonuses can equally be a deterrent. If a player is the absolute lynchpin to your side, overpay, give generous bonuses if its not causing you financial issues why would it matter - it's a huge form of security.

As above though, player greed and agent greed are by far the strongest thing to utilise in your defence. Let them negotiate, and let the club smash upon the rocks of greedy agents. An extra £30m in signing on bonuses for player & agent + wages pushing up to £400k a week can make the majority of clubs turn tail.

11 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

If I am doing really well, I know I can afford to ignore everything, if I am not doing well, then there are ways and means to manage this behaviour, and as you can tell from the posts here, there are some who ignore it, and there are others who manage it. The real thing no one has told you is how they got to the point where they can afford to ignore it. 

What is this point and how does it reflect to the real life? I am trying to imagine the dream team where people eventually come unhappy and at some point are okay again. Just like that without any effort from anywhere.

12 minutes ago, forameuss said:

That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at it.  

If the game is at point A, and player X is unhappy, and you do nothing, then by point B that unhappiness disappears, that doesn't really prove that anything is wrong.  Anything can happen in the interim with hundreds upon hundreds of variables.  It very well could be wrong, of course, but it's not as simple as saying that you ignoring it is the only variable. 

The only way to find it if it's intended behaviour is raising it as a bug, so the devs can actually tell you.  They won't do that here.

You're right, one case doesn't prove anything. Yet it seems that generic way for many people is to ignore everything and they're successful. My questions is still why it works and should it work.

Thank you, if I only find time I might do a test and see how it works and if there is a reason to raise a bug.

• Administrators

We have always said with threads like these that we know the interaction isn't perfect and that if you have a specific example of a player becoming unhappy when you think they shouldn't, please raise it with a relevant save (ideally just before the player raises a concern with the user) and we can investigate.

The reality is on older versions of Football Manager it was too easy to keep players indefinitely which in turn made the transfer market unrealistic. I remember having a player for a Turkish mid-table side who was clearly good enough for a top-tier side. Never got unhappy despite teams like Real Madrid being interested. Now with the addition of Dynamics you can see in more detail why a player is unhappy and what you can do about it.

Sometimes you can't do anything about it. That's football. Players won't accept any amount of money and their attributes (normally hidden ones related to ambition/professionalism etc) will dictate they will look to move. If players are getting unhappy about their contracts too often, there may be an issue in the first place where the player isn't asking for enough for the first contract - again we'd need to see specific examples on our bugs forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/638-football-manager-2019-bugs-forum/. As you and AI clubs offer players of certain levels of abilities high contracts, players of similar abilities will look to be on similar terms.

And given the user does have a large advantage over the AI in transfer dealings anyway (as essentially we can't code every AI manager to be equally as intelligent or take as long as a human can when making transfer decisions, would take about 10 years every time you wanted to process in game). they quite often will end up having some of the best prospects in game. It's only natural that these players will attract interest from the biggest clubs in the world. And in real life when the biggest clubs in the world come after players, they generally end up moving. 

3 minutes ago, silverboot81 said:

What is this point and how does it reflect to the real life? I am trying to imagine the dream team where people eventually come unhappy and at some point are okay again. Just like that without any effort from anywhere.

You're right, one case doesn't prove anything. Yet it seems that generic way for many people is to ignore everything and they're successful. My questions is still why it works and should it work.

Well, that's really hard to track.  Just because you yourself haven't done anything, doesn't mean that circumstances are always going to be constant.  Morale is constantly shifting, day-to-day, even minute-to-minute during a game.  I'd imagine - and I have nothing other than my own logic - that whether a player is "happy" is a sum, at its most simplistic form, with a number of variables in them.  One variable - your handling of them, say - may dip, but others may rise to cancel out the effect.  Maybe when he complains you're on a losing streak, but then you win 3 on the bounce and suddenly everything seems rosier.  It could be anything.  Or maybe he's just being stroppy.

Granted, if there are no other inputs, you shouldn't just be able to put your fingers in your ears until it goes away, but there are other inputs, not all of them controllable, directly or otherwise.

3 minutes ago, silverboot81 said:

Thank you, if I only find time I might do a test and see how it works and if there is a reason to raise a bug.

Always worth doing.  Conversations like this usually end up in a circular bun-fight.  Actual evidence brought up to SI will allow them to look at it and definitively decide whether or not there's an issue there.

14 minutes ago, silverboot81 said:

Like I said some of the managers here, achieve a state in the game where they can afford to ignore them, we just haven't gone out of our way to tell you how we do it. Do we need to? Others have provided plenty of explanations why. You have to remember this is a process. Player is unhappy > Why? Have you dealt with the core issue? What is the issue? I have players who are unhappy about training, in fact sometimes I have 11 players who are unhappy cos they have to do endurance training. That though is a temporary situation, that is remedied by results, contracts, etc.

I managed Ajax of all teams and was able to keep my whole squad through 2 champions league campaigns even with the wolves sniffing away. They wanted better contracts, I gave them. They wanted silverware, we won everything, they wanted a bigger club...now that was an issue. Sometimes you end up dealing with that, and ask them whether they want to throw their ties away because of a shift to a bigger club. Can you keep every player happy? No, that is nirvana. In real life no club can keep every player happy all the time. That's simply fantasy football. 

Here in the game there are plenty of tools you can apply, some like the challenge of making players unhappy. I do. When they win 2-0 I throw the boot, when a player turns in a request for a transfer I shove him into the reserves and make him remember he is part of a team. You can manage it.

I always tell them that they have release clause and if someone wants to buy them have to pay it and since I lost my 1 key player I made all release clauses for like 325mln euro and noone will pay that much for them... 5+3 years contract so for older players its fine since I am selling players at 31-33 y.o just before their value will decrease and stats adding option that they will move in another season ;) first 2 seasons was a nightmare but now it's ok they come to talk I enter the conversation and they are glad that I did and leave happy;p

but it probably helped that at the end of 3rd season I won CL and before that league since 2nd season, spanish cup and supercup because my reputation went up now only Man City is before me...

57 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Like I said some of the managers here, achieve a state in the game where they can afford to ignore them, we just haven't gone out of our way to tell you how we do it. Do we need to? Others have provided plenty of explanations why. You have to remember this is a process. Player is unhappy > Why? Have you dealt with the core issue? What is the issue? I have players who are unhappy about training, in fact sometimes I have 11 players who are unhappy cos they have to do endurance training. That though is a temporary situation, that is remedied by results, contracts, etc.

I managed Ajax of all teams and was able to keep my whole squad through 2 champions league campaigns even with the wolves sniffing away. They wanted better contracts, I gave them. They wanted silverware, we won everything, they wanted a bigger club...now that was an issue. Sometimes you end up dealing with that, and ask them whether they want to throw their ties away because of a shift to a bigger club. Can you keep every player happy? No, that is nirvana. In real life no club can keep every player happy all the time. That's simply fantasy football. 

Here in the game there are plenty of tools you can apply, some like the challenge of making players unhappy. I do. When they win 2-0 I throw the boot, when a player turns in a request for a transfer I shove him into the reserves and make him remember he is part of a team. You can manage it.

Thank you. So as far as I understand, you can't and won't 100% ignore the players anyway. And you don't truly ignore the players but deal with the problems one way or another.

On 10/01/2019 at 01:01, Toutoum said:

Hey all

I love FM and have played it for years. But the new player dynamics and interaction is broken. I have a career at Real Madrid, first season. I am first in the table at the moment and just won The Club World Cup.

Then the transfer window starts and PSG makes an offer on Varane and Man Utd on Isco - with lots more clubs interested in my other players. Varane and Isco are core players with big influence and start every time they can (not in cup). But now they both wants to leave the club and there is nothing I can do to convince them to stay. I mean it is really messed up. I don’t have a chance.

The clubs have asked players to say nice things about them and say “change to us”. But you can’t comment on these things. But every time the press have asked about interest from other clubs I have denied any interest in selling - with certainty.

And starting a new career won’t help, as it surely will happen again!!

damn I’m frustrated!

You're playing a management simulator and the first problem you have as a manager, you want to quit?

Not the right game for you bud.

Archived