Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
alanschu14

Europa League Knockout Rounds 2022/23

I'm now in 2022/23 and notice that Europa League/EURO CUP was only playing a single match for the first and second knockout round. Is this an upcoming rule change for that league?

I played the year before in the Europa League and did have to play multiple legs for all the knockout rounds except the final. Not sure if this changed with a patch or not. Looking at the rule page, it only gives Leg 1/2 instructions for the Quarter Final and Semi Final. Champions Leg is still 2 legs per match.

(if this isn't by design we can probably move this to bug forum).

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

Ah... this could be because of the World Cup in Qatar??

Almost certainly. A 'winter' World Cup leads to major schedule changes in winter leagues in 2022/2023, including earlier season starts, and some two-legged cup ties being cut to one leg. I believe the EFL Cup Semi Final is also played over one leg because of this.

Edited by CFuller

Posted (edited)

Ah yeah, the Qatar World Cup, what can I say :rolleyes:

Just went through this in my journeyman save playing in France. The league, 2 domestic cups and continental competition with qualification resulting in a game every 2-3 days from end of July to end of May. Players can't catch a break for 10 months and you can barely fit training in. 2022 will be fun!

Edited by BadanieLuck