Did I accidentally cheat?

Need some guidance/advice/praise please...

I started FM19 as i normally do with Hull City...and as normal i got sacked after 1 season as the team/morale/players are terrible. So i waited and got hired by Grimsby Town in League 2 in 2019. The first season we just survived relegation. Then the following season (with a few nice additions) we won the league by almost 20 points! First season in League 1 survived relegation, season 2 finished 7th, then again won League 1 by a country mile. So then, i thought the Championship will be a whole new challenge, I brought in some nice signings (I'll let it be known at this point that I had bought maybe 20 players over these 5 seasons and only spent about 60k.)

So now, my first season in the Championship, I have about 80% of my first team from League 1 and i'm winning the league at Christmas by about 4 points!

Now, normally i'm a staunch FM purist. I don't cheat with the editor, save then reload, etc...the ONLY thing I have done in this game is use the in-game editor to change a player's name and age (i wanted to get someone who was already in the team and was very young but with a lot of potential and watch what they do and how they progress) I didn't change his stats, history, reputation or potential, just changed his name and made him 3 years younger. That being said, I haven't even played him in any first team games yet.

My question is this: by doing this have i subconsciously unlocked some wormhole/glitch in FM that makes my teams play amazingly...OR...am i underestimating myself and my abilities? I must say that team morale is amazingly high, players are happy, I've found a formation that works (4-4-1-1). I have great scouts and i guess i know what to look for in a player. I've been playing FM (and CM) for 20 years and have never taken a team from League 2 to the Premier League...let alone done it in 6 seasons. 

Would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced something like this also?

(sorry for the long explanation but i thought i'd lay everything on the table to give a full understanding)

8 minutes ago, FrazT said:

What you have edited will have no effect on the team's performance at all.

That's what i thought...but maybe it unleashed some hidden cheat/crack...like in the old arcade games, if you did ABC then you got XYZ.

this is no arcade so no weird cheat there, u just got a good combination of teams underestimating you, a good tactic that is working really nice and decent players that are in a wonder season, Premier league will be a pain in the first couple of years though im sure of it, you will need to improve your squad ASAP since you have League 1 players and some championship ones i guess, so this players will go down against top teams.

do try not to change half of your squad tho, that could end even worst that way, try to get 1 or 2 key players and maybe a good rotation player, also remember that relegation is not the end of the world, Premier league money can make Championship a kids game

Yes, and you're going to hell for it.

But seriously, no.  Had your changes meant that that player was now smashing through the leagues, then maybe, but even then it's tenuous.  But at a higher level, I wouldn't worry about anything like this.  You do whatever you want to do in your own game to get enjoyment out of it.  You sound like you're fearful of people thinking less of you in some way, which seems to be common in this community.  I wouldn't worry.  You want to make small edits to have more fun, that's fine.  You want to save and reload until you win all your games, that's fine too.  It's your game, just enjoy it.

Archived