It's Been Fun....I'll Miss You

I've been praying for a long time that there would be others out there like me. I thought I had no one to turn to, that no one would understand my pain. But now I feel comfotable enough to say that I...am an FM-oholic.

It took a long while to ralise I had a problem. My greatest ever achievement in FM (possible even in life) was aged 15 when I decidd to try lower league managment for the first time. I successfully guided Hull from third division to champions league in 5 seasons, thanks to the brilliance of Marco Negri (rangers fans?).

I have long thought about snapping FM in half, and played frisbie with CM4 out my bedroom window. A compromise was to not buy FM08 and ween myself off gradually. Still I am playing FM07 however and I don't know if I have the will power not to buy FM08 much longer...

Yeah I know it's just a game, but this is a real problem when it comes to having essays to write and exams to study for, and I just can't help but think; 'just a quick half-hour...' Then suddenly it's deadline day and I'm screwed icon_frown.gif

Good luck bytheway. You will need it!!!

bytheway- i started playing the game much like you, it was cm3 my friends older brother got a pc for christmas and he kept playing this game, i was facianated by it and would sit there watching him for hours.

after a couple of weeks, he asked me to take over my beloved toon and he took over cov city. After a few minutes of the game i was hooked, havent looked back since. i now have every single cm and fm. i used to work up to 13 hours a day as my trad is a carpenter/joiner doing shuttering, so the hours were long and as soon as i got home id sit with the missus, spend some time with my little boy,before he went bed, have a bath while missus watched the the soaps and put the kiddy to bed. then come down fall asleep on the sofa, weekends also just no time to do nothing, friday nights get an early night as i have footy the next day, saturday mornings. get up early soccer am on watch that, have breakfast and that while missus went shopping and i looked after the littleun. leave for footy at 11.30 on away days, as much games are long journeys, then sundays go out with missus and kiddie. i never had time to play my beloved game.

I was dejectedly a fawlaund figure, i went to work as normal on the 10 of december 2007 when i fell down a hole, ripped all my knee liggaments and have had to have surgery and 8 months (prob) off work.

For a couple of days i was abit depressed about it, thought about the money situation long and hard, missus getting in a panic, how we going to pay the mortgage, how we going to pay this, pay that? and then i got a phone call from my insurers, i was not only to get a huge amount of money for claiming against the hole that i fell in, i was also being made redundant as the company were going into the brown stuff.

i was much a happier person, bought a huge 42" tv, new laptop and a playstation 3. and also have a better and better paid job when i get fit again. but all this time off, only having to do rehabilatation, i thought, what am i going to do? Then it all clicked together, i would finally get to play fm again, i know am adicted all over again like the first time i clapped my eyes at the genius game.

my missus doesnt even mind me playing it this much either as she gets on with her stuff while im playing the great game. i know have linked my huge tv to my laptop and watch tv while playng fm on the over side with the split screen. i am now in heaven. i just sit with my leg up, wireless mouse, link laptop to tv, and play and watch at the same time.

Man i love this game sooo much, this website also helps as you always find someone willing to help with all questions, and also gives great storys of everyones journeys of management.

the good days of being a young rookie manager are back.

Happy days

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bomjr:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by creature_from_ottawa:

i wanna know,i really wanna know how you broke your legs coz of FM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, its an old story. But I don't expect you to believe it though. Look for it in FM stories forum. If I can remember, its been closed for while now I guess </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is the story I'm thinking off (Playng laptop FM while driving) then it's one of the best things I've ever read on here, and is a lesson to us all icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bomjr:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by creature_from_ottawa:

i wanna know,i really wanna know how you broke your legs coz of FM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, its an old story. But I don't expect you to believe it though. Look for it in FM stories forum. If I can remember, its been closed for while now I guess </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is the story I'm thinking off (Playng laptop FM while driving) then it's one of the best things I've ever read on here, and is a lesson to us all icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha. Thank you for your compliments. Just doing my part. And yes, it was because of the laptop. Bad experience really. Life changer too.

Back to the topic: I wonder why you can't play FM and have a normal life? Its just a game, and I've grown to learn how to control myself and not get hooked... well I do have moments when I'm really hooked. But we can control it. FM can't control you... its just a CD... a harmless cute little CD...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bytheway:

thanks guys, wasn't expexting replies.

I assure you i won't be back anytime soon. maybe in a few years or so.

i have strong will power. quit smoking 8 weeks ago on will power alone. no patches, sticks, nothing. I had been smoking since i was a kid too.

i'll just focus my attention on something else.

Anyways, Bye Guys and enjoy your games. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In all honesty, as Nomis stated, theres ALWAYS time for FM.

Me, I run a pub for a living, I'm 23 and go to the gym 4 times a week. I have just bought a house with my GF 6 months ago, and it takes me an HOUR to travel to work, and an hour home. On weekends I'm tied down to family activities, (Sunday mine, Saturday hers), and I also spend a lot of my free time making music. On top of that, I frequent about 10 different forums for different things, (Thats daily), and fit in 1 hour of COD4 a day on my PS3. On top of all that, I manage to run a Fantasy Football game in the challenge forum, and am 31 seasons into my current FM save.

I don't have less than 6 hours sleep any night.

Theres ALWAYS time for FM. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What lovely insight into Neps life icon_biggrin.gif

I've been addicted since i was 15, 25 now but this year i stopped just because i got bored of it

( dunno if its cause of the missus, my daughter or the worse and worse norwich squads haha)

but couple of weeks ago i was sick had a week off and just found myself playin it without any thought now cant stop

i agree fm is in the blood you might win for a bit but it will always come out!

he will be back!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's true what they say. Listen to your elder's.

As Sure as the sun rises and Man U Will win the league, i have come back to fm on my hands and knee's.

It's in My blood.

At least i can join the long list of people who have tried and then realised that the FM bug is eternal and everlasting.

Just started full-time work now though so i'm going to take my time with it. Try and enjoy it more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess it's true what they say. Listen to your elder's.

As Sure as the sun rises and Man U Will win the league, i have come back to fm on my hands and knee's.

It's in My blood.

At least i can join the long list of people who have tried and then realised that the FM bug is eternal and everlasting.

Just started full-time work now though so i'm going to take my time with it. Try and enjoy it more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

congratulations, and welcome back icon_biggrin.gif lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nelsonmcjones:

2 weeks, not bad. I can't remember the last time I didn't play for 2 weeks...

"I come from a long line of quitters, it's a miracle I'm here at all." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif It was hard, i had to return for the sake of my sanity.

*ROFL* I only started again with FM 07 and even when I get completely frustrated with it, I still come back...losing 0-4 on last day with the title in my hands and falling to 6th with Gateshead and missing my playoffs as well...oh gutting, didn't play for 1 day came back and into again...But I just keep coming back.

I remember early CM, but before 07 hadn't played in years...Now completely addicted again icon_smile.gif

Welcome back dude and good luck

i know youre playing it right now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if not il bet hel be thinking of it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by manc101:

Well after all that, tad pointless seen as he's nack and never left because he said bye about 4 times </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHAT!....I did Stop playing but had to come back. Don't know what you mean by this comment.

Anyways.. Yes it seems it is more addictive than niccotine. FM should come with a warning label.lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by toma_akvinski:

I actually plan on sueing SI for ruining my life </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ill join you!!!

This game really is TOO addictive!!!

I plan to sue SI for my Life!!

I'm 30, I played the first ever version (Published by Domark and came on about five 5 1/4" disks!) and I'm still buying it and enjoying it now.

I've no idea how future editions of FM will go down, but I do know that even in the unlikely event that I'm not playing FM, I'll be playing something else instead for as long as I can imagine.

Guest roberto922

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bytheway:

Wow, This has become FM Anonymous.

Firstly, this was supposed to be a simple goodbye thread. the funny thing is, it's the first discussion i've started in these forums and it's to say goodbye to the game.

all the replies and stories of other peoples addiction/love for fm have been an enjoyable read.

It's nice to know theirs other people who feel just as addicted as myself.

Although i have begun the cold turkey period, i will still check in on the forums every now and again to see the odd bit of banter and so on...

ever since i found this forum i have used it and enjoyed it. It's a great community.

Also if ya wanna know how i am at the moment towards urges of re-installing FM, Fast-Forward 30mins or so into Trainspotting and take it from there. LOL

Only joking, It's not been long enough yet, although a friend of mine that i was talking to last night started talking about his current CM03/04 Saved game. I could of swore my eye started twitching. icon_wink.gif

Anyways, i'm out.

See Ya Soon! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, no if you are going cold turkey over something, you cut all lnks to it. If you're a smoker you make sure people don't smoke in your house, you get rid of your ashtrays and you turn over when the smoking ads come on. Same with FM, don't play, dont watch ads (if they ever have one accepted by the censors) and don't go on the forums, of course I don't have a problem with you coming on the forums, just don't say you are going cold turkey.

Guest roberto922

sorry for the treble post but in case anyone cares I've been playing since CM 00/01 when my dad gave me my first PC, since then I played 00/01 to CM 4 obsessively and then gave it a break until FM05 came out, that and 06 are the only FM games that I ever got past 5 seasons with the exception of 07360 and 07handheld... so im not really an addict

Archived