Sports Interactive Community
Bedese

[OC] Experiment - Investigating the factors behind a youth intake, and the countries with the most potential

It's interesting because Egypt has a youth rating of 138 and doesn't, to my knowledge, produce all that many players with high end PA compared to other countries even with lower youth ratings. (Had this discussion in one of the minnow threads)

9 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

It's interesting because Egypt has a youth rating of 138 and doesn't, to my knowledge, produce all that many players with high end PA compared to other countries even with lower youth ratings. (Had this discussion in one of the minnow threads)

There isnt a heap of them but from my experience you can usually find 2 or 3 players above 150-160PA per save. Or maybe I just got lucky?

9 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

Interesting! I agree with @oblongata21 in that I've seen a fair few decent Egyptian players come through (there's an incredible one in my Rotherham save right now, but he won't get a work permit :()

However, if we look at the facilities Egyptian teams have...

Al-Ahly and Zamalek are by far the two biggest teams in the country - but Al-Ahly have just a 9/20 for Junior Coaching. Both clubs have good facilities, but not at the level you'd expect for two teams of that stature. Ismaily, the third biggest club, have decent facilities too, but after that, it's a mess. Tersana have just a 3/20 for youth facilities, Pyramids FC have a 1/20 for training facilities, ENPI have a 4/20 for youth facilities, etc. Really, there's only three clubs with the infrastructure in place to continually produce and develop talent - compare that to a country like England or Spain, when you'll have closer to maybe 40 clubs with that ability. I'd wager that if somebody downloaded the Egyptian league and had a successful, long term save there developing the infrastructure, we'd see Egypt rise right to the top of the international scene.

But guys, how can you scout Egyptian teams?

Given that the league isn't playable, my scouts don't have any matches to watch and as a result, they can't find any players. So my scout's knowledge of Egypt has gone to 4% after 6 months of scouting.

2 hours ago, Lamias said:

Given that the league isn't playable, my scouts don't have any matches to watch and as a result, they can't find any players. So my scout's knowledge of Egypt has gone to 4% after 6 months of scouting.

My scouts were able to find a couple of Egyptian players, who I then just had them continually scout to get a greater profile of. But you're right, and not having the league loaded is maybe another reason why there aren't as many excellent Egyptian regens coming through ;) 

2 hours ago, Lamias said:

I would personally scout Egyptian teams myself or look through the national teams.

11 hours ago, Lamias said:

I found a couple from scouting Northern Africa for young players with a good PA and as @john1 said, you can usually just scroll through national teams which you can scout.

Just because a league isnt playable, doesnt mean that regens arent there to be found :)

I am kind of an old school manager, I restrict myself to players that my scouts have found. So to manually browse the database of "player search" or the national teams feels a little strange to me.

But I understand the times have changed. I will follow this advice.

Thanks!!

On 23/12/2018 at 03:07, oblongata21 said:

I found a couple from scouting Northern Africa for young players with a good PA and as @john1 said, you can usually just scroll through national teams which you can scout.

Just because a league isnt playable, doesnt mean that regens arent there to be found :)

Scouting a particular region is how I've found a lot of the decent African/Asian players too :) 

On 02/01/2019 at 04:11, nie jem frytek said:

Why is this thread in "General Discussion" and not in "Challenges, Sign-Ups & Experiments"?

Good question! GD just seemed like the most obvious place to put it, seeing as it was as much of a study behind some game mechanics more so than an actual challenge... if you think it would fit over there I'd be happy to post it there too? :D 

9 hours ago, Bedese said:

an actual challenge...

But it's an experiment, even title says so ;)

I'm just saying I would completely miss this thread if someone hadn't mention it in other thread. It would be much more visible in that subforum.

6 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

I'm just saying I would completely miss this thread if someone hadn't mention it in other thread. It would be much more visible in that subforum.

Not sure that's strictly true.  The audience here would be far larger than over there, and this seems to give far more detail than a lot of the experiments over there.  This isn't really "what would happen if we put this player here" (simplifying of course) and more a deep dive into what goes into youth development.

And to @Bedese, kudos for creating something actually worthwhile in terms of experimenting.  Usually when these come out, it's someone who has run a a couple of youth intakes to draw some conclusions, but to your credit you've gone to great lengths.  

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

Not sure that's strictly true.  The audience here would be far larger than over there, and this seems to give far more detail than a lot of the experiments over there.  This isn't really "what would happen if we put this player here" (simplifying of course) and more a deep dive into what goes into youth development.

And to @Bedese, kudos for creating something actually worthwhile in terms of experimenting.  Usually when these come out, it's someone who has run a a couple of youth intakes to draw some conclusions, but to your credit you've gone to great lengths.  

Cheers!

16 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

I didn't even realise that 'experiments' was part of that subforum, I'd always read it as Challenges and Sign-Ups! I'll cross-post it in there ;) 

I've come super late to this nice experiment, but the one thing I will say is that unless a lot has changed since FM17, the dynamic national Reputation is a much bigger deal than any of the static elements for getting some high ability players from weak clubs in a nation.

That's still good news for managers wanting to grow nations, of course, since Reputation is a very dynamic value that can increase a lot if you start winning tournaments, but it means you can probably do pretty well with a sub-100 Youth rating nation too, like all those African countries which turn out world class players (but usually at European clubs). And for related reasons, I'd much rather have a nation with good or improvable club setups than a nation with Egypt's weak league and training but outlandishly high Youth Rating.

Suspect it's also different for nations you simulate the league of versus nations in the background (I suspect Game Importance matters more in that case). A 200 Youth Rating Indonesia I made was still dominated by players of sub-100 PA and just the one genuine international class player (world class actually) after a decade of youth products. 

On 17/01/2019 at 18:58, enigmatic said:

I've come super late to this nice experiment, but the one thing I will say is that unless a lot has changed since FM17, the dynamic national Reputation is a much bigger deal than any of the static elements for getting some high ability players from weak clubs in a nation.

That's still good news for managers wanting to grow nations, of course, since Reputation is a very dynamic value that can increase a lot if you start winning tournaments, but it means you can probably do pretty well with a sub-100 Youth rating nation too, like all those African countries which turn out world class players (but usually at European clubs). And for related reasons, I'd much rather have a nation with good or improvable club setups than a nation with Egypt's weak league and training but outlandishly high Youth Rating.

Suspect it's also different for nations you simulate the league of versus nations in the background (I suspect Game Importance matters more in that case). A 200 Youth Rating Indonesia I made was still dominated by players of sub-100 PA and just the one genuine international class player (world class actually) after a decade of youth products. 

I am VERY VERY interested in other effects of a youth intake other than the Youth Rating or Game Importance.

We need to make sure that a nation's youth intakes are as dynamic as possible.

From my experience even in FM19 - national team and league reputation have little to no effect on youth intakes.

I think we still need to have a dynamic youth rating as per the above it is the biggest! (but not only!) effect on youth intakes with static facilities.

excellent post, thanks for the graphs :)

3 hours ago, ajt said:

excellent post, thanks for the graphs :)

Thanks for reading :D 

Very interesting read and a great piece of testing, thanks for the heads up @herne79.

I think the results of this experiment are pretty much in line with what I'd hope to see.

National Youth Rating dictates the raw potential of players, whereas Game Importance, Development of Country and Economic Infrastructure would govern how successful the players actually are in actually *achieving* their PA.

So if we were to believe Edson Taveres' claim that Haiti has a wealth of raw potential, but lacks the infrastructure to nurture it correctly - then this would be modelled in-game by Haiti having a higher National Youth Rating and more players of better PA, but low CA and low Perceived PA. 

The issue of course is that until players from Haiti start to fulfil their high potential in real life, there just isn't enough evidence to warrant actually doing this in-game. 

This post has got me thinking about the way National Youth Rating is modelled could be improved. I suppose there is a case for it to be less evidence based - I think the only real factors in the amount of raw talent produced in a country would/should probably just be Population and Cultural significance of football.

Any changes along these lines would basically mean completely remodelling the way 'Ability' is perceived in game, which I can confirm is not currently in the pipeline, but this was certainly a worthwhile post that's got me thinking.

Perhaps the next experiment for @Bedese would be to check how these factors affected the CA of these players in 15 years' time ;)

Cheers,

Andrew

@Andrew James would it not be possible to have a dynamic National Youth Rating? With that value being hard coded, it would make it hard for the smaller nations to really rise up and establish themselves as great footballing nations

30 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

Very interesting read and a great piece of testing, thanks for the heads up @herne79.

I think the results of this experiment are pretty much in line with what I'd hope to see. 

National Youth Rating dictates the raw potential of players, whereas Game Importance, Development of Country and Economic Infrastructure would govern how successful the players actually are in actually *achieving* their PA. 

So if we were to believe Edson Taveres' claim that Haiti has a wealth of raw potential, but lacks the infrastructure to nurture it correctly - then this would be modelled in-game by Haiti having a higher National Youth Rating and more players of better PA, but low CA and low Perceived PA.  

The issue of course is that until players from Haiti start to fulfil their high potential in real life, there just isn't enough evidence to warrant actually doing this in-game.  

This post has got me thinking about the way National Youth Rating is modelled could be improved. I suppose there is a case for it to be less evidence based - I think the only real factors in the amount of raw talent produced in a country would/should probably just be Population and Cultural significance of football. 

Any changes along these lines would basically mean completely remodelling the way 'Ability' is perceived in game, which I can confirm is not currently in the pipeline, but this was certainly a worthwhile post that's got me thinking. 

Perhaps the next experiment for @Bedese would be to check how these factors affected the CA of these players in 15 years' time ;)

Cheers,

Andrew

If youth rating would be raw 'people potential' (which I hope I'd be) you need to overhaul all the other options like Game Importance massively. Like, you have China and India with low youth rating but in terms of people only they have massive potential. Game Importance should be more important and youth rating should be a little bit less important.

Dynamic youth rating is good option but we have to think about not exaggerating minor nations to superpowers (like increase youth rating from 50 to 100). Football Manager was, is and should be as realistic as possible and yes, build a legacy in San Marino is tempting but come on, not a chance that they will be better than Italy or Switzerland.

18 minutes ago, markyosullivan said:

@Andrew James would it not be possible to have a dynamic National Youth Rating? With that value being hard coded, it would make it hard for the smaller nations to really rise up and establish themselves as great footballing nations

In theory I suppose it could work being dynamic, but it would definitely need capping on a nation by nation basis - as @Bigpole says, trying to make smaller nations establish themselves *should* be difficult in FM, and smaller nations not having the people power of bigger ones will always be a limiting factor.

8 minutes ago, Bigpole said:

Like, you have China and India with low youth rating but in terms of people only they have massive potential. Game Importance should be more important and youth rating should be a little bit less important.

I guess these would be examples where a nation would have low current NYR but high potential NYR. Prominence of football in the nation would be the main driving force behind NYR increasing - it will be interesting to see over the next few years whether we see more Chinese players breaking through in top leagues as a result of the Chinese Super League becoming more established.

15 minutes ago, Andrew James said:

In theory I suppose it could work being dynamic, but it would definitely need capping on a nation by nation basis - as @Bigpole says, trying to make smaller nations establish themselves *should* be difficult in FM, and smaller nations not having the people power of bigger ones will always be a limiting factor.

I guess these would be examples where a nation would have low current NYR but high potential NYR. Prominence of football in the nation would be the main driving force behind NYR increasing - it will be interesting to see over the next few years whether we see more Chinese players breaking through in top leagues as a result of the Chinese Super League becoming more established. 

I'm doing this experiment, loaded database with all players avalible and checking regens each year (in terms of potential only). Will post results soon so anyone can have a look.

On 02/05/2019 at 13:37, Bigpole said:

I'm doing this experiment, loaded database with all players avalible and checking regens each year (in terms of potential only). Will post results soon so anyone can have a look.

Best of luck!

On 02/05/2019 at 13:11, Andrew James said:

I would love the idea of a dynamic youth rating with a cap on the highest rating possible for each country.

21 minutes ago, jack18881717 said:

I would love the idea of a dynamic youth rating with a cap on the highest rating possible for each country.

While it's a nice idea, it would surely have to move at a glacial pace, so much so that most users would never see it.  If an event were to happen that changed the quality of youth coming through - whether that be a tournament win, or a structural change - then even if said change was going to take effect on day 1, you're still looking at at least a decade to see any fruit.  Perhaps even longer.  It becomes a bit more muddied in FM, because the real formative years where this kind of stuff takes effect are well before a player would even be generated.  Still valid though.  Fine with it being dynamic, but making it too changable sees it become far too arcadey, and probably very prone to abuse.

50 minutes ago, forameuss said:

While it's a nice idea, it would surely have to move at a glacial pace, so much so that most users would never see it.  If an event were to happen that changed the quality of youth coming through - whether that be a tournament win, or a structural change - then even if said change was going to take effect on day 1, you're still looking at at least a decade to see any fruit.  Perhaps even longer.  It becomes a bit more muddied in FM, because the real formative years where this kind of stuff takes effect are well before a player would even be generated.  Still valid though.  Fine with it being dynamic, but making it too changable sees it become far too arcadey, and probably very prone to abuse.

Absolutely.

Since the youth ratings are usually in the range of 80-180, a maximum change of 2 points per year should suffice in it not being too dramatic an effect.

I'd suggest the reason why it looks like only one thing matters is because there was no test where the training, youth facilities and youth recruitments of the clubs (and maybe their reputation?) were changed. That's why Turkey have a better rating than England but there are better English prospects. Our clubs act as a multiplier on our youth rating. 

4 minutes ago, jack18881717 said:

Absolutely.

Since the youth ratings are usually in the range of 80-180, a maximum change of 2 points per year should suffice in it not being too dramatic an effect.

I don't think it should be thought of as a per year thing.  

It's something that's quite difficult to model.  FM is very regimented in terms of blocks of time.  One "block" is one season, and each one can be considered standing on its own, but obviously the actions of one bleeds into the other.  How do you then model something that is a result of a number of seasons work?  I'm not sure there's anything in real life that you could model in FM by adding a couple of points to youth rating in a year.  For me you'd have to be looking far further back.  As a real-world example, say a non-fancied nation wins the next World Cup, one that doesn't necessarily have the best footballing reputation.  For the purposes of FM, one that has Game Importance set somewhere in the middle, and a low youth rating.  On winning the World Cup, football should explode in the country.  All the kids want to play it, those players are a true inspiration.  I'd say that's enough to get a fairly instant boost in Game Importance, but I don't think suddenly rising youth rating really models real life.  The kids that are now playing football are years away from being ready to be "born" into the game.  You're not going to suddenly get a 14 year old, just a couple of years from breaking into FM-age, have his potential raised as a result.  It was already to late for them. 

For me, you'd need to have the game treating nations on decades-long rolling roads.  Said nation that won the World Cup could squander all that success and go out in the group stages the next time - do their big plans from four years ago suddenly stop?  Do those fickle children suddenly decide they can't be arsed anymore and move onto something else?   FM has always struggled in that sense to draw context even across a few months, let alone years.

And that's not even mentioning the cyclical nature of international football - how do you model that in as well?

42 minutes ago, forameuss said:

It's something that's quite difficult to model.  FM is very regimented in terms of blocks of time.  One "block" is one season, and each one can be considered standing on its own, but obviously the actions of one bleeds into the other.  How do you then model something that is a result of a number of seasons work?  I'm not sure there's anything in real life that you could model in FM by adding a couple of points to youth rating in a year.  For me you'd have to be looking far further back.  As a real-world example, say a non-fancied nation wins the next World Cup, one that doesn't necessarily have the best footballing reputation.  For the purposes of FM, one that has Game Importance set somewhere in the middle, and a low youth rating.  On winning the World Cup, football should explode in the country.  All the kids want to play it, those players are a true inspiration.  I'd say that's enough to get a fairly instant boost in Game Importance, but I don't think suddenly rising youth rating really models real life.  The kids that are now playing football are years away from being ready to be "born" into the game.  You're not going to suddenly get a 14 year old, just a couple of years from breaking into FM-age, have his potential raised as a result.  It was already to late for them. 

For me, you'd need to have the game treating nations on decades-long rolling roads.  Said nation that won the World Cup could squander all that success and go out in the group stages the next time - do their big plans from four years ago suddenly stop?  Do those fickle children suddenly decide they can't be arsed anymore and move onto something else?   FM has always struggled in that sense to draw context even across a few months, let alone years.

And that's not even mentioning the cyclical nature of international football - how do you model that in as well?

You're overthinking this  - who cares how they model it, that's for the devs to worry about.

Just make it dynamic with slight and moderate changes as you suggested.

Edited by jack18881717

5 minutes ago, jack18881717 said:

You're overthinking this  - who cares how they model it, that's for the devs to worry about.

Just make it dynamic with slight and moderate changes as you suggested.

Luckily they need to think of it in more detailed terms than "just make it dynamic".

23 hours ago, forameuss said:

Also, you already get the dynamic boost from winning a major tournament in the form of a higher national team reputation which will result in considerably more high potential newgens (too early really: it takes years before kids inspired to play football are 16 year old potential international footballers with pro contracts IRL). Static Game Importance and Youth Rating variables just balance that a little bit (along with the ratings of the individual clubs likely to generate players from that nation)

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Also, you already get the dynamic boost from winning a major tournament in the form of a higher national team reputation which will result in considerably more high potential newgens (too early really: it takes years before kids inspired to play football are 16 year old potential international footballers with pro contracts IRL). Static Game Importance and Youth Rating variables just balance that a little bit (along with the ratings of the individual clubs likely to generate players from that nation) 

I've never heard that national reputation are connected to newgens. Any confirmation?

1 hour ago, Bigpole said:

I've never heard that national reputation are connected to newgens. Any confirmation?

From personal experiments (with FM17 but presumably still applicable) the effect is larger than Youth Rating (similar to clubs in that respect I guess...). Got an amazing golden generation of Chinese teenagers with their reputation set to 10,000 followed by not much afterwards as their reputation plummeted when they didn't win things

On 15/05/2019 at 19:07, enigmatic said:

From personal experiments (with FM17 but presumably still applicable) the effect is larger than Youth Rating (similar to clubs in that respect I guess...). Got an amazing golden generation of Chinese teenagers with their reputation set to 10,000 followed by not much afterwards as their reputation plummeted when they didn't win things

My personal experiments have found similar things :) 

On 14/05/2019 at 15:08, r0x0r said:

I'd suggest the reason why it looks like only one thing matters is because there was no test where the training, youth facilities and youth recruitments of the clubs (and maybe their reputation?) were changed. That's why Turkey have a better rating than England but there are better English prospects. Our clubs act as a multiplier on our youth rating. 

I agree! All those things matter (from my personal, unrecorded experiments, they - including reputation - matter a lot), but those are all things that the player can impact through playing the game. For the purposes of this at least, I was only interested in seeing how important the factors you can't change are.

Hi

Very nice topic, i want a save with a lot of world class talents too. But i got a problem which i already posted in another topic (under)

Biggest problem is that if i even put a country like France or Belgium,... to 200 youth rating, the best player after 6 years has only got 159... I've put all the countries of the world to atleast 135, European  +160.

3 hours ago, WilltheWolf92 said:

Hi

Very nice topic, i want a save with a lot of world class talents too. But i got a problem which i already posted in another topic (under)

Biggest problem is that if i even put a country like France or Belgium,... to 200 youth rating, the best player after 6 years has only got 159... I've put all the countries of the world to atleast 135, European  +160.

Hi Will!

Are you talking about 159 CA, or 159 PA? 159 PA seems really low to me. I said this in your other thread, but reputation makes a big difference, so it'll be worth tweaking that. What are the facilities like at the clubs? That makes a big difference, too. Also, do you have the leagues loaded? How big is your database? The less leagues loaded (and the smaller the database) the fewer players that'll get generated, and the less likely it is to get a lot of world class talents.

6 hours ago, Bedese said:

Hi Will!

Are you talking about 159 CA, or 159 PA? 159 PA seems really low to me. I said this in your other thread, but reputation makes a big difference, so it'll be worth tweaking that. What are the facilities like at the clubs? That makes a big difference, too. Also, do you have the leagues loaded? How big is your database? The less leagues loaded (and the smaller the database) the fewer players that'll get generated, and the less likely it is to get a lot of world class talents.

Hi Bedese, thanks for taking contact. I just simulated the save for 8 years and it's seems to get better now. 11 players above 180 PA for 1 year is good with this setup i think. But still not many Belgians above 180, but it's maybe good to have some realism. I'll try to put the youth rating of all countries to +160 and try to simulate than.

Greetz

On 08/06/2019 at 00:19, WilltheWolf92 said:

Hi Bedese, thanks for taking contact. I just simulated the save for 8 years and it's seems to get better now. 11 players above 180 PA for 1 year is good with this setup i think. But still not many Belgians above 180, but it's maybe good to have some realism. I'll try to put the youth rating of all countries to +160 and try to simulate than.

Greetz

Sounds good to me! Glad it's working out for you :) 

On a slightly different viewpoint to what the topic is actually about...

At what point during the season does hiring a new Head of Youth Development not have an affect on that years youth intake?

i.e. if you hire him the day before youth intake day, would the youth players be based off him, or the previous HOYD? Is there a cut-off day before you should hire a new HOYD to ensure that years intake are related to him?

I only ask because I've just found a potential HOYD with a 'perfectionist' personality so keen to get him in.

Also, the staff responsibilities allows you to change which member of staff brings in youth. So if you have a great Director of Football for example, can they do it too?

On 09/06/2019 at 09:56, Grifty said:

On a slightly different viewpoint to what the topic is actually about...

At what point during the season does hiring a new Head of Youth Development not have an affect on that years youth intake?

i.e. if you hire him the day before youth intake day, would the youth players be based off him, or the previous HOYD? Is there a cut-off day before you should hire a new HOYD to ensure that years intake are related to him?

I only ask because I've just found a potential HOYD with a 'perfectionist' personality so keen to get him in.

Also, the staff responsibilities allows you to change which member of staff brings in youth. So if you have a great Director of Football for example, can they do it too?

Good questions! That's something I've always wondered myself. Is it maybe even a longer period than a year for the new staff to have a real impact on things?

I noticed you can change with the FMRTE editor, the mass edit , you can change single players or groups or whatever you want, so you don't have to go change their PA one by one. Made the standard around 160, so i get to see better football and watchable football in lower divisions

On 08/07/2019 at 03:59, WilltheWolf92 said:

I noticed you can change with the FMRTE editor, the mass edit , you can change single players or groups or whatever you want, so you don't have to go change their PA one by one. Made the standard around 160, so i get to see better football and watchable football in lower divisions

Nice! :D