Sports Interactive Community
Bedese

[OC] Experiment - Investigating the factors behind a youth intake, and the countries with the most potential

It's interesting because Egypt has a youth rating of 138 and doesn't, to my knowledge, produce all that many players with high end PA compared to other countries even with lower youth ratings. (Had this discussion in one of the minnow threads)

9 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

It's interesting because Egypt has a youth rating of 138 and doesn't, to my knowledge, produce all that many players with high end PA compared to other countries even with lower youth ratings. (Had this discussion in one of the minnow threads)

There isnt a heap of them but from my experience you can usually find 2 or 3 players above 150-160PA per save. Or maybe I just got lucky?

9 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

Interesting! I agree with @oblongata21 in that I've seen a fair few decent Egyptian players come through (there's an incredible one in my Rotherham save right now, but he won't get a work permit :()

However, if we look at the facilities Egyptian teams have...

Al-Ahly and Zamalek are by far the two biggest teams in the country - but Al-Ahly have just a 9/20 for Junior Coaching. Both clubs have good facilities, but not at the level you'd expect for two teams of that stature. Ismaily, the third biggest club, have decent facilities too, but after that, it's a mess. Tersana have just a 3/20 for youth facilities, Pyramids FC have a 1/20 for training facilities, ENPI have a 4/20 for youth facilities, etc. Really, there's only three clubs with the infrastructure in place to continually produce and develop talent - compare that to a country like England or Spain, when you'll have closer to maybe 40 clubs with that ability. I'd wager that if somebody downloaded the Egyptian league and had a successful, long term save there developing the infrastructure, we'd see Egypt rise right to the top of the international scene.

But guys, how can you scout Egyptian teams?

Given that the league isn't playable, my scouts don't have any matches to watch and as a result, they can't find any players. So my scout's knowledge of Egypt has gone to 4% after 6 months of scouting.

2 hours ago, Lamias said:

Given that the league isn't playable, my scouts don't have any matches to watch and as a result, they can't find any players. So my scout's knowledge of Egypt has gone to 4% after 6 months of scouting.

My scouts were able to find a couple of Egyptian players, who I then just had them continually scout to get a greater profile of. But you're right, and not having the league loaded is maybe another reason why there aren't as many excellent Egyptian regens coming through ;) 

2 hours ago, Lamias said:

I would personally scout Egyptian teams myself or look through the national teams.

11 hours ago, Lamias said:

I found a couple from scouting Northern Africa for young players with a good PA and as @john1 said, you can usually just scroll through national teams which you can scout.

Just because a league isnt playable, doesnt mean that regens arent there to be found :)

I am kind of an old school manager, I restrict myself to players that my scouts have found. So to manually browse the database of "player search" or the national teams feels a little strange to me.

But I understand the times have changed. I will follow this advice.

Thanks!!

On 23/12/2018 at 03:07, oblongata21 said:

I found a couple from scouting Northern Africa for young players with a good PA and as @john1 said, you can usually just scroll through national teams which you can scout.

Just because a league isnt playable, doesnt mean that regens arent there to be found :)

Scouting a particular region is how I've found a lot of the decent African/Asian players too :) 

On 02/01/2019 at 04:11, nie jem frytek said:

Why is this thread in "General Discussion" and not in "Challenges, Sign-Ups & Experiments"?

Good question! GD just seemed like the most obvious place to put it, seeing as it was as much of a study behind some game mechanics more so than an actual challenge... if you think it would fit over there I'd be happy to post it there too? :D 

9 hours ago, Bedese said:

an actual challenge...

But it's an experiment, even title says so ;)

I'm just saying I would completely miss this thread if someone hadn't mention it in other thread. It would be much more visible in that subforum.

6 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

I'm just saying I would completely miss this thread if someone hadn't mention it in other thread. It would be much more visible in that subforum.

Not sure that's strictly true.  The audience here would be far larger than over there, and this seems to give far more detail than a lot of the experiments over there.  This isn't really "what would happen if we put this player here" (simplifying of course) and more a deep dive into what goes into youth development.

And to @Bedese, kudos for creating something actually worthwhile in terms of experimenting.  Usually when these come out, it's someone who has run a a couple of youth intakes to draw some conclusions, but to your credit you've gone to great lengths.  

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

Not sure that's strictly true.  The audience here would be far larger than over there, and this seems to give far more detail than a lot of the experiments over there.  This isn't really "what would happen if we put this player here" (simplifying of course) and more a deep dive into what goes into youth development.

And to @Bedese, kudos for creating something actually worthwhile in terms of experimenting.  Usually when these come out, it's someone who has run a a couple of youth intakes to draw some conclusions, but to your credit you've gone to great lengths.  

Cheers!

16 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

I didn't even realise that 'experiments' was part of that subforum, I'd always read it as Challenges and Sign-Ups! I'll cross-post it in there ;) 

I've come super late to this nice experiment, but the one thing I will say is that unless a lot has changed since FM17, the dynamic national Reputation is a much bigger deal than any of the static elements for getting some high ability players from weak clubs in a nation.

That's still good news for managers wanting to grow nations, of course, since Reputation is a very dynamic value that can increase a lot if you start winning tournaments, but it means you can probably do pretty well with a sub-100 Youth rating nation too, like all those African countries which turn out world class players (but usually at European clubs). And for related reasons, I'd much rather have a nation with good or improvable club setups than a nation with Egypt's weak league and training but outlandishly high Youth Rating.

Suspect it's also different for nations you simulate the league of versus nations in the background (I suspect Game Importance matters more in that case). A 200 Youth Rating Indonesia I made was still dominated by players of sub-100 PA and just the one genuine international class player (world class actually) after a decade of youth products.