Sports Interactive Community
michelb86

How do I know which tactical style suits my team?

I really like the preset tactical styles and they give me a better indication of what every style has to offer and how it looks like. However, I'm struggling to determine which style suits my team. For example, I am playing with Liverpool and if I go to the team report page I can see that my team has good dribbling, balance, first touch and off the ball as good strength. My midfield is very good at vision, passing, decisions and technique and my attackers are good in aticipation and off the ball. 

But how does this relate to the tactical styles? Obviously with a target man it's better to play counter attach, but with the type of players above I find it hard to make a difference between gegenpressing, tiki taka, posession or something else. I hope someone here can give me some guidance on how to make these decisions, not only for my team now but also future teams. 

The better your team is, the more different styles it can play successfully. But preset tactics will in most cases need some tweaking in order to be adjusted to a particular team. They are not meant to be ready-made and instead serve just as a starting point that should make the creation of your "final" tactic easier.

4 hours ago, michelb86 said:

Obviously with a target man it's better to play counter attach

Why do you think so? You can use a target man with various tactical styles. All depends on what exactly you want to achieve by using him.

I would suggest playing some friendlies with a few different  styles. Put the matches on comprehensive highlights so you get to see a good chunk of the match and make sure you give at least a half of football to each style you want to check out. Then just sit back and watch. 

Take a few quick notes about each style. Maybe 1-2 quick bulletpoints about what you liked and didn't like about each. When you're done, pick out 2-3 favorites and 1-2 of your least favorites. Then look at the styles and compare what instructions are common between the ones you like and do the same with the ones you don't like. From there, you should have a short list of a few instructions that you definately want to include in your tactic and some to avoid.

2-3 hours and it should give you a real solid basis to build around. And as an added bonus you may notice a few roles for your players that they really take to well or some roles to avoid for them.

No question you will get a better understanding of your team and tactics if you just sit back and watch them play without concern about the score.

I think you have a few options

Option one would be, if you take over a team that are well known in real life for playing a certain style and you want to recreate their style. Liverpool and Dortmund are well known for playing the gegenpress style successfully. Barcelona and the Spain national team played Tiki Taka to great effect. Leicester's title winning season shared many aspects of fluid counter attack. This can give you a basis which you can then tweak around the players you have to optimise the roles.

Option two would be having a preferred style of play that you want to impose on your team. you might have to tweak things again or your squad might start by being unbalanced for the type of football you want to impose, so youll have to gradually evolve the team to fit your philosophy

Option three would be to look at the players you have and the balance of the squad, and utilise the prominent skills and best players into a logical formation, watch some games and make adjustments from there

Personally, I've found the default tactical styles perfectly usable. Of course you can adapt them but there's more than enough internal logic within the presets to make an adequate system while you slowly build your philosophy. I've found them a fascinating glimpse into the game's inner logic. You can actual learn a lot about balance from them. Again, they're not supposed to be the be-all-and-end-all but as simple templates you can use them for a surprisingly long time without any hitches. In my North Greenford United save... 

...I've been leaning on the presets quite heavily. Primarily because I don't have the time to get super, super clinical about my tactics at the moment, unfortunately. I know my squad and what it is capable of, and more importantly what it is not capable of and I have found that just two presets is enough to enjoy quite a bit of success. I use Wing-Play to dominate games and Park The Bus to either consolidate or to draw teams onto us when we're unable to break them down. The only customisations have been to set-pieces because the defaults are still dreadful. If you have a clear picture in your head of what you're going to need for the positions then its relatively easy to make steady progress by signing progressively more adept players. Its not as fun as starting a tactic from scratch but why make life more difficult for yourself, right? Especially, if like me, you're pressed for time.

I find that comparing your first squad to the rest of your current division can be a first step towards finding out what style fits. Midfielders on average worse than the league average in passing, decisions, technical? Probably not a good idea to try and dominate possession. Just look under Team Report -> Comparison or whatever the menu choice is called.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb FMunderachiever:

I think you have a few options

Option one would be, if you take over a team that are well known in real life for playing a certain style and you want to recreate their style. Liverpool and Dortmund are well known for playing the gegenpress style successfully. Barcelona and the Spain national team played Tiki Taka to great effect. Leicester's title winning season shared many aspects of fluid counter attack. This can give you a basis which you can then tweak around the players you have to optimise the roles.

Option two would be having a preferred style of play that you want to impose on your team. you might have to tweak things again or your squad might start by being unbalanced for the type of football you want to impose, so youll have to gradually evolve the team to fit your philosophy

Option three would be to look at the players you have and the balance of the squad, and utilise the prominent skills and best players into a logical formation, watch some games and make adjustments from there

I think option three is the best option if the team/players aren't well known. I separate the players in three groups depending on their strength: 1st group starters, 2nd group substitutes and 3rd group all other players (backups and youngsters).  After that, I choose a formation where the strongest players fit in with their positions/roles. Don't look at the stars only, recheck their attributes, a lot of players can play different positions/roles. Keep an eye at the substitutes as well, the best formation is useless without proper replacements. You can then choose a suitable style for your team, i.e. a counter approach won't be very usefule if the formation is a top heavy 4-2-3-1.

If you have read the Guide to footballmanager you should have some basic ideas. It can be break into mainly two parts: How should I attack? and how should I defend. For example, if your players are fast with good stamina and working rate, in principle you can try high pressing when in defence. If your defenders and midfielders are tall, strong, with good concentration and marking ability, in principle you can try defend deep. If you have good wingers or wide players with good crossing, and strong forward and CM players, you can try play wide. If your attacking players have good technique, passing, off ball running you can try play narrow and more short passes. If your attacking players are fast and with good dribbling ability you can also rely on dribbling more team instruction to attack.

It is all about the basic ideas of how you want your team to play, but it should change with different opponents, and adjustments needed if your opponent make tactical changes. The adjustments is very important but I found people usually ignore it. For example how should you do if opponent are fast and easily break your pressing? How should you do if the opponent pressing hard and make your short pass ineffective?

I dont suggest to decide your tactics by just watching several friendly games, as how your tactic perform is strongly depend on particular opponents. In my opinion, people should study more on how to deal with different situations instead of focus too much on yourself team tactic settings.