Welsh only career idea

Anyone overly familiar with Welsh football to weigh in on idea. I thought a career developing a Welsh team made up of Welsh only players to contest in England might be a fun go. Similar to Bilbao; keep everything local.

Destination teams would be Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham as they play in English leagues and have a backdrop of success. Missing any team?

Talent pool? Is there enough talent in Wales to realistically build a contender? 

Many thoughts on project are welcome.

It's definitely doable, just depends on what you would classify as success.  Cardiff and Swansea have pretty good youth systems so that will help long term. 

However my preference for this idea would be to do the Youth Challenge with Merthyr.  A genuine bottom to top long term challenge, made a little harder by the fact you'd have to release any youth of other nationalities that come through-  https://community.sigames.com/topic/448883-the-football-manager-youth-academy-challenge/

I think success would be European qualification on a semi regular basis. 

On the non wealth regen side of things...how long to gain Welsh citizenship? Could use editor to change regens on intake day? Could force myself to sell or release those guys?

20 hours ago, s0ni42 said:

Anyone overly familiar with Welsh football to weigh in on idea. I thought a career developing a Welsh team made up of Welsh only players to contest in England might be a fun go. Similar to Bilbao; keep everything local.

Destination teams would be Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham as they play in English leagues and have a backdrop of success. Missing any team?

Talent pool? Is there enough talent in Wales to realistically build a contender? 

Many thoughts on project are welcome.

What about Merthyr or Colwyn Bay for a bigger challenge ??

20 hours ago, s0ni42 said:

I think success would be European qualification on a semi regular basis. 

On the non wealth regen side of things...how long to gain Welsh citizenship? Could use editor to change regens on intake day? Could force myself to sell or release those guys?

You can't gain Welsh citizenship due to reasons that are far too political to explain but suffice to say maybe 1 in 5 of your youth will be English but some of them may have Welsh as a second nationality anyway.

I'm not 100% on this but I think that if you put yourself as Welsh and make sure that all of your staff have only knowledge of Wales then you should get less of other nationalities through your youth intake

Secondary welsh citizenship would be acceptable. Looking at these options, Wrexham is extremely interesting. Am I seeing correctly they have two FA cups and a league cup? That’s crazy good relative to their other accolades/stature

Way back in FM 11 or 12 I had a save with Barry Town (before they went bust) where I was winning the welsh league and reaching the champs league group stage every season. Was raking in the money from that and building a Youth academy with it however the league prize money never seemed to go up so I was only getting a few thousand for that. Quite like the idea of welsh challenges or even a Norther Ireland one! 

22 minutes ago, Chris Hamilton said:

Way back in FM 11 or 12 I had a save with Barry Town (before they went bust) where I was winning the welsh league and reaching the champs league group stage every season. Was raking in the money from that and building a Youth academy with it however the league prize money never seemed to go up so I was only getting a few thousand for that. Quite like the idea of welsh challenges or even a Norther Ireland one! 

My last long term game (fm 16 or 17) I was chimney corner FC (start as unplayable amateur club but i picked them up in northern ireland 2nd div a few seasons in)

eventually got them in the champions league. Mostly using foreign regens though i admit so a bit different from the suggested challenge.

• 5 weeks later...
On 13/12/2018 at 17:04, s0ni42 said:

Secondary welsh citizenship would be acceptable. Looking at these options, Wrexham is extremely interesting. Am I seeing correctly they have two FA cups and a league cup? That’s crazy good relative to their other accolades/stature

Wrexham have never won the English FA Cup or League Cup if that is what you are referring to.

Edit: The best they have done in both of them is the Quarter Finals.

Hrm...

Regarding Merthyr, aren't their U23's in the Welsh Premier Development League? So their first team competes in England and their U23 in Wales? (It might be the U18's, I'm unsure on this one.)

Anyway, Wales should be an interesting country to look at from next season on. Not sure if FM will be bothering with going beyond the Welsh Premier, but they're restructuring the entire pyramid over the next three seasons, so the FAW is going to consume the second tier (next season) and third tier (season after). So new league names etc will be something to look out for, but again, not sure if it'll be shown in FM...

But anyway, for a Welsh challenge if you want to be competing in Europe I do recommend going for a Welsh club in England's system. If you want a hefty challenge getting into Europe with essentially very weak players full stop, do it in Wales.

this can be regarded as a sort of cheat way around making sure the newgens/regens choose their Welsh nationality over the optional English - but on top of whichever club you decide to manage, manage the welsh national team too. that way as soon as the youth intake for a year begins, take the best players from that intake, and give them an international cap in an international friendly game ASAP. Yes you may lose the friendly with a bunch of 16 year olds, but you’ve just about secured your future players and ensuring they keep they keep their welsh nationality as opposed to English. just an option that could prolong and help with the all welsh club scenario

Thanks for all feedback. I think I will just edit nationality on intake day. I am trying a Welsh only staff as well with exceptions on posts that don’t have qualified candidate. In first intake, all players carried Welsh nationality. 

We won Varnarama league in year 1, managed to improve junior coaching and improve youth network on two occasions. Cannot get board to budge on facility improvement at all with my club balance sitting at $1.8M. This is primary focus as we climb ladder bc each level we go up, harder it will be to field appropriate talent unless we play a large part in producing it.

In first summer (first window disabled) we managed to bring in some really good Welsh players and did not resign any non-Welsh players from last years squad. 

Fun save

Archived