Re-Group Option

I am playing 4-3-3-Wide on a fluid counter and doing ok, but I am looking at how to change tactics depending on the opposition rather than changing the mentality based on stronger / weaker or favourite / non-favourite.

As I play fluid counter I play with counter and counter press, but wondered if in games where I am under pressure or the weaker team would re-group work in terms of better structure and not getting caught out of position?

My understanding of re-group is like the old version of counter attack, sit back in your position and when the opposition lose control counter by attacking the space, rather than counter press which is a counter attacking version of GenPress in my oppinion...  is that understanding correct or utter rubbish!

Its just that I have a few tweaks depending on the oppositions formation, i.e. if they have a player in the DM role then playing through the middle to my playmaker tends not to work, so I play to my wide men, despite being on fluid counter I wall the ball into the box rather than pointless shooting, but if I am struggling to convert I will change through the game and then lastly as I play with two Wingers in the AMR and AML role, I change one of the to an IF if I am struggling to break down the oppositions defence to create different angles of attack.

So if re-group works as I think it could be good for games where I am the weaker team or the opposition have players who can take advantage of my players being out of position...  but wasnt sure if re-group was more of a high press strategy / retain the ball strategy or not.

54 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

Regroup - when you lose the ball, everyone drops back into position.

Counterpress - when you lose the ball, immediately press the opposition.

Yeah I know what they do but my question was if I use re-group on a counter attacking tactic, is that dangerous with a deep defensive line or is it another way to defend without leaving space for the opp to attack, like the counter press can sometimes do, I was unsure if re-group was more for high block tactics rather than lower block, i.e. using re-group on a low block is just inviting pressure rather than adding more defensive solidity.

30 minutes ago, edhdurham said:

Yeah I know what they do but my question was if I use re-group on a counter attacking tactic, is that dangerous with a deep defensive line or is it another way to defend without leaving space for the opp to attack, like the counter press can sometimes do, I was unsure if re-group was more for high block tactics rather than lower block, i.e. using re-group on a low block is just inviting pressure rather than adding more defensive solidity.

Counter press is more suited to a high block - you want to win the ball back straight away after losing possession. In a low block, you would want to regroup into your defensive positions before pressing.

31 minutes ago, edhdurham said:

I use re-group on a counter attacking tactic

Counter mentality is gone... So by counter attacking tactic... Do you just mean the selection of roles/duty you have gone with? 

Regroup in essence is the opposite to counter... Your players will get into shape, and when they win the ball, will follow the guidance of your TI, PI, roles and duty. But yes, you can use aggressive TI like direct passing and higher tempo... To spring a 'counter attack', without relying on counter or counterpressing instructions

6 hours ago, edhdurham said:

where I am under pressure or the weaker team would re-group work in terms of better structure and not getting caught out of position?

yes you could regroup and hold shape, or regroup and counter.

44 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

yes you could regroup and hold shape, or regroup and counter.

Thanks @Rashidi I think that answers the question, I am using the default instructions of fluid counter which has counter and counter-press as default, but as the original question states I am just looking for ways to change for certain situations, I have had some games where the counter-press default has left me open in some areas, so I am looking at either re-group, or changing the roles in certain games, but I would prefer to leave the roles alone and just instructions

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

Counter mentality is gone... So by counter attacking tactic... Do you just mean the selection of roles/duty you have gone with? 

Regroup in essence is the opposite to counter... Your players will get into shape, and when they win the ball, will follow the guidance of your TI, PI, roles and duty. But yes, you can use aggressive TI like direct passing and higher tempo... To spring a 'counter attack', without relying on counter or counterpressing instructions

The default for fluid counter is to counter press and counter, rather than re-group and hold position, so in the instructions you can have re-group (hold shape) and still counter once the ball is won...  obviously on fluid counter you would not want to hold shape as I believe that is for retaining possession, but I want to keep countering, just have different options for when we lose the ball

1 hour ago, edhdurham said:

The default for fluid counter is to counter press and counter, rather than re-group and hold position, so in the instructions you can have re-group (hold shape) and still counter once the ball is won...  obviously on fluid counter you would not want to hold shape as I believe that is for retaining possession, but I want to keep countering, just have different options for when we lose the ball

Counter and counter-press are two very (if not completely) different instructions. The counter pertains to attacking transitions and encourages the players to attempt a counter-attack as soon as an opportunity arises (i.e. when you take the possession away from the opponent). The counter-press on the other hand is about defensive transition and tells the players to try to win the ball back (via immediate pressing) as soon as it has been lost. And both can be used as a part of any tactic, not just a "counter-attacking" one.

Archived