New player role - Wide Forward

thesharmz

I'm not sure that there are adequate player roles for wide forwards. When you look at how, for example, Salah plays at Liverpool, I don't believe that there's a suitable role for him on FM19. Inside forward works to an extent, but players' tendency to run inside with the ball is over exaggerated. The perfect real life example of an inside forward, I'd say, is Arjen Robben - he starts out wide right and dribbles inside to create a shooting opportunity on his left foot - he may even be more of an inverted winger, which is another role that should be created. Going back to Salah, he starts out wide, but doesn't necessarily dribble inside in the way that Robben does.  Similarly at Man City, Sane and Sterling don't necessarily operate as conventional wingers or inside forwards - they choose (or individual instructions tell them) when to move inside or stay wide, they get in the box for shooting opportunities as well as staying wide for crossing opportunities.

A wide forward role should be one where the striker - because invariably it is a striker these days - drifts anywhere between the position between the centre back and full back, and the touchline. He goes wide or comes inside (with and without the ball) as necessary, so will look to cross when in a position to do so. Without the ball he looks to get into the box like a conventional central striker. I suppose the Raumdeuter role is the nearest to this, however that role is one where the team has to carry him because he neglects his defensive duties. Shouldn't there be a position similar to this, which provides for a more cohesive and fluid attack and team shape? 

i see star wide players like Salah, Messi, CR, Hazard in FM terms as typical trequrtistas who have all freedom in attack to express themselves and don't come back while defending. then the PPMs dictate each player's personal style. difference between trequartista and inside forward on attack duty should be that IFa drops back to help defense, of course depending on his work rate, stamina etc.

what we need maybe is wide forward role with open instructions. maybe the winger role which could be modified like wide midfielder one. this way managers could set different instructions and also it would allow players to play with more personality (PPMs). maybe current winger role can be renamed traditional winger or something similar.

8 hours ago, Mitja said:

i see star wide players like Salah, Messi, CR, Hazard in FM terms as typical trequrtistas who have all freedom in attack to express themselves and don't come back while defending. then the PPMs dictate each player's personal style. difference between trequartista and inside forward on attack duty should be that IFa drops back to help defense, of course depending on his work rate, stamina etc.

what we need maybe is wide forward role with open instructions. maybe the winger role which could be modified like wide midfielder one. this way managers could set different instructions and also it would allow players to play with more personality (PPMs). maybe current winger role can be renamed traditional winger or something similar.

Yes, I agree some star wide players may be Trequartistas but if you want a more cohesive team shape, these won't be great roles for you. IFa is much better in this regard, but as I said, that seems to have used someone like Robben as the role model and start cutting inside as soon as they get the ball. A lot of IF players don't play in the same way, so it's difficult to get any wide forwards to play exactly how you want them to.

A wide forward role with open instructions would be perfect. I'd like my player to decide whether to go wide or cut inside with the ball, and I'd like to be able to instruct him whether to do either of them.

i agree too many roles especially AMLR have closed instructions, all other positions have generic role which can be modified. but what you are saying about how all players look like Robben type comes down to dribbling often and cut inside instruction which is locked in IF role. many of such players will have that PPM too. i agree the game doesn't reflect that area the best, there could be a little more control over dribbling instruction or crossing which would add more unpredictability to the game. 

One major issue with the use of IF roles, even when "stay wide" instruction is applied is that during build-up play, the IF will sit narrower and so reduces the number of passing options and ensures that play is concentrated in the centre. I want them to stay wider to provide passing opportunities and stretch the opposition defence. 

Archived