Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
THEMOUSTACHE

Fullbacks / Wingers not crossing quick enough

Recommended Posts

Hi mates.

What instruction should I look out for to make my players cross quicker because very often I find my players stop, turn and cross which usually ends up in them losing the ball via a tackle, why can't they already be in a position to cross and not take ages in doing so? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THEMOUSTACHE said:

Hi mates.

What instruction should I look out for to make my players cross quicker because very often I find my players stop, turn and cross which usually ends up in them losing the ball via a tackle, why can't they already be in a position to cross and not take ages in doing so? 

 

There may be a number of reasons. Could you post a screenshot of your tactic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's due to match engine. Since there isn't a way to tell them play quickly apart from higher tempo, you can't do anything about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be partly due to the low mentality (cautious), which generally makes players less inclined to be adventurous (i.e. they look to keep the ball as long as possible and to play more safely except when a counter-attack is on), although I'd rather assume it has more to do with a lack of teammates available to receive the crosses in the opposition penalty area, given that your lone striker is pretty much isolated as the only player with the attack duty, which is further compounded by him having the most offensive of all striker roles (AF). So your wide players probably don't have whom to cross the ball to most of the time, except for Mbappe as the sole AF, and they therefore have to wait until more players arrive from deep into the final third. But that in turn gives opposition defences more time to tackle them and take the ball away from you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It might be partly due to the low mentality (cautious), which generally makes players less inclined to be adventurous (i.e. they look to keep the ball as long as possible and to play more safely except when a counter-attack is on), although I'd rather assume it has more to do with a lack of teammates available to receive the crosses in the opposition penalty area, given that your lone striker is pretty much isolated as the only player with the attack duty, which is further compounded by him having the most offensive of all striker roles (AF). So your wide players probably don't have whom to cross the ball to most of the time, except for Mbappe as the sole AF, and they therefore have to wait until more players arrive from deep into the final third. But that in turn gives opposition defences more time to tackle them and take the ball away from you. 

Cheers for the reply mate.

When you say that, it makes sense in theory so let me ask you this difficult question.

If it was to try solve the problem by playing a 4-2-3-1 so moving one of my midfielders to an attacking midfield position and telling him to ''get further forward'' would you say this would improve my problem? I'm only sceptical moving my DM as it's important for defensive cover but I could try and tinker I suppose! 

 

Going to have a tinker, see what happens and report back. If you have any suggestions I would be eternally grateful mate :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I don't claim that's the reason for sure, just trying to think logically. If I used your tactic, I'd probably know the exact reason, but I don't. Basically, the fluid counter-attack system is more about creating chances through nice and quick passing combinations (including through balls) than via crosses. I'll now tell you what I would try first in an attempt to encourage more crossing, though I cannot guarantee it will definitely solve the issue. For example, I'd try something like this when it comes to roles and duties in your formation:

DLFa

IFs                                         Wa

         BtBM       DLPs          

DMd

FBa      CD       CD       WBs/au

Because the attacking duties given to your LB and AMR (winger) should encourage more crosses from them. Alternatively, you could use a CM on attack in the MCL position instead of BtBM in order to have a deep runner attacking the space in the opposition penalty area more aggressively, but in that case the left back should not be on attack duty lest your left flank get too vulnerable defensively. So it may go this way:

DLFa

IFs                                    Wa

CMa     RPM

DMd

WBs/au     CD      CD         FBs

What would I change regarding team instructions? I would reduce tempo to normal. I know this sounds counter-intuitive at first blush, but that should actually give more time to your supporting players to arrive from deeper positions and thus be more available for crosses. The build-up would be slower, but everything has its price. I would also remove the narrow width, because that naturally discourages crossing (just leave it to normal). However, the most important question you need to ask yourself is why exactly you want more crosses, i.e. what do you expect to achieve by that? Do you have strong and tall (aerially dominant) players (or at least a striker) that would benefit from such a style of playing? As far as I know, Mbappe is not that type, so I'm not sure how wise it would be for you to insist on that :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, THEMOUSTACHE said:

If it was to try solve the problem by playing a 4-2-3-1 so moving one of my midfielders to an attacking midfield position and telling him to ''get further forward'' would you say this would improve my problem? I'm only sceptical moving my DM as it's important for defensive cover

You don't have to change the formation, especially if that would make your team defensively vulnerable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I believed my full backs were doing target practicea against the opposite defenders. Everything is normal then, perfect!

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Look, I don't claim that's the reason for sure, just trying to think logically. If I used your tactic, I'd probably know the exact reason, but I don't. Basically, the fluid counter-attack system is more about creating chances through nice and quick passing combinations (including through balls) than via crosses. I'll now tell you what I would try first in an attempt to encourage more crossing, though I cannot guarantee it will definitely solve the issue. For example, I'd try something like this when it comes to roles and duties in your formation:

DLFa

IFs                                         Wa

         BtBM       DLPs          

DMd

FBa      CD       CD       WBs/au

Because the attacking duties given to your LB and AMR (winger) should encourage more crosses from them. Alternatively, you could use a CM on attack in the MCL position instead of BtBM in order to have a deep runner attacking the space in the opposition penalty area more aggressively, but in that case the left back should not be on attack duty lest your left flank get too vulnerable defensively. So it may go this way:

DLFa

IFs                                    Wa

CMa     RPM

DMd

WBs/au     CD      CD         FBs

What would I change regarding team instructions? I would reduce tempo to normal. I know this sounds counter-intuitive at first blush, but that should actually give more time to your supporting players to arrive from deeper positions and thus be more available for crosses. The build-up would be slower, but everything has its price. I would also remove the narrow width, because that naturally discourages crossing (just leave it to normal). However, the most important question you need to ask yourself is why exactly you want more crosses, i.e. what do you expect to achieve by that? Do you have strong and tall (aerially dominant) players (or at least a striker) that would benefit from such a style of playing? As far as I know, Mbappe is not that type, so I'm not sure how wise it would be for you to insist on that :)

Top notch stuff mate, going to have a whirl at this with your advice!

In regards to the crossing and mbappe, I think drilling in low crosses for him might work, I find he misses too many 1v1 via through balls which is bizarre...expected better for a guy who has 17 FIN and 18 COM . I've tried a through ball, pass into space tactic for him but but scores more from the end of a cross or a killer pass to feet.

Maybe I'm just tactically inept :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

You don't have to change the formation, especially if that would make your team defensively vulnerable. 

So using your advice and tweaks I think I have realised that I have lot's of learning to do when it comes to tactics..

Mbappe has just annihilated city. 

 

 

 

Screenshot 2018-12-02 at 23.46.48.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a similar issue and it might just be the way the match engine is designed. But I'll try to experiment a bit. 

Maybe it would be beneficial to tell the players in question to "take more risks" and set their passing to be more direct.

Also, it's a bit annoying that attacking full/wingbacks, for example, can't be told to dribble less - as that might cause them to cross the ball more as well. I'd really like the fullback role to be more generic, with less preset instructions, like the wide midfielder role is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Liquid Cool said:

I'm having a similar issue and it might just be the way the match engine is designed. But I'll try to experiment a bit. 

Maybe it would be beneficial to tell the players in question to "take more risks" and set their passing to be more direct.

Also, it's a bit annoying that attacking full/wingbacks, for example, can't be told to dribble less - as that might cause them to cross the ball more as well. I'd really like the fullback role to be more generic, with less preset instructions, like the wide midfielder role is. 

Yep I think so, although I have noticed ''decisions'' is a big one for this kind of thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, THEMOUSTACHE said:

Hi mates.

What instruction should I look out for to make my players cross quicker because very often I find my players stop, turn and cross which usually ends up in them losing the ball via a tackle, why can't they already be in a position to cross and not take ages in doing so? 

 

Sancho is right footed playing on the left and Salad is left footed playing on the right... Your asking them to use there weaker foot unless they stop and cut back.  Depending how weak there other foot is they might not see it as a good option to try to cross with it.

WB on auto is support on Cautious.  They will run wide and get forward but aren't told to cross often so will try to look for other options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an issue with the ME, SI have confirmed that they are aware of it. I'm playing the Public Beta which is a more recent version of the game than the latest official release, and in Public Beta 19.2 this issue is resolved. So you just have to wait for the next official patch, or join the Public Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, THEMOUSTACHE said:

Hi mates.

What instruction should I look out for to make my players cross quicker because very often I find my players stop, turn and cross which usually ends up in them losing the ball via a tackle, why can't they already be in a position to cross and not take ages in doing so? 

 

You want players to cross early, then there need to several things happening. First a cross doesn't happen for the sake of it, there has to be a viable target before a player sees a cross being an effective choice.  I can get my team to play crossing like the fb crosses early to the winger, the winger then crosses it back to the far post for a goal. Both of which could happen really quickly. How can this happen?

1. I opted to go for a targetman, keeps things simple cos we are a LLM side. He makes for a great target and invariably wins all headers.

2. I also opt to use roles that don't drive to the flanks, or choose players who have the hit early cross player trait

3. If I want the team to do this more often, I either elect to use the PI or I play on higher mentalities, where more forward passes are likely since players are willing to take a lot more risks.

4. And sometimes I pass into space. 

I avoid using work ball into box when I want to employ a crossing game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...