Sports Interactive Community
Experienced Defender

Your managerial "role model" ?

Guardiola, Sarri, Setién, Paulo Fonseca and Miguel Cardoso in one side of the spectrum (the ones I like the most); Mourinho and Simeone on the other end (the ones whose teams I can't watch for more than 30 mins).

Doesn't mean being better or worse, just a personal preference.

If I had to choose only one it would be Marcelo Bielsa when he managed Chile during the 2010 World Cup. It was probably some of the most entertaining and interesting football I've ever watched.

A close second would be Diego Simeone and his Athletico Madrid squad. Particually when playing a big side away - the games where they stand REALLY compact and invite pressure. I know most casual football fans don't like his negative and physical style in these games, but I think it's BEAUTIFUL!

Edit: Why aren't we able to choose our "idol" when creating our profile on FM? It could make for some good story lines...

Edited by KongeMeier

48 minutes ago, KongeMeier said:

A close second would be Diego Simeone and his Athletico Madrid squad. Particually when playing a big side away - the games where they stand REALLY compact and invite pressure. I know most casual football fans don't like his negative and physical style in these games, but I think it's BEAUTIFUL!

Me too. It's my favorite style of football :thup:

My favourite style to watch is definitely the classic English wideplay. I know it's not the most successful approach, but it's just fun to watch. Redknapp's Tottenham with Lennon and Bale wide was just high tempo madness across 90 minutes.

Tony Pulis.

Not so much for his direct style but how he manages to mould a team to literally run through brick walls for him.  It is difficult to repeat in FM as his tactics are very simple, or were when he was at Stoke, and a lot of his success is down to the dressing room and the atmosphere it generates.

I also admire how he managed to go in at Palace and manage a lot of attacking players that were naturally at odds with his pragmatic style.

He seems to have that knack of being able to build a solid defence and maximize his efficiency in grinding out 1 nil wins.

Big Sam for me, responsible for me seeing some of the best times and best players ever to grace a Bolton shirt. Youri Djorkaeff , Jay Jay Okocha, Fernando Hierro ,Ivan Campo, Stelios Giannakopoulos, and Kevin Davies  - 2 jaunts in Europe and brought in the sports science and stats used in American Football. Planned with meticulous detail to get the extra 1% from each player. Used to bloody the noses of the big boys regularly and wind the likes of Wenger up.

The long ball tag came from when Bolton beat Newcastle 2-1 at the Reebok and Souness moaned about it post match and the tag stuck with him, unfairly. Hes seen as a short term option for struggling teams and hes played up to that in last few years but earned a few quid doing it.

Will never be seen as glamorous but i do believe that if you put him in charge of a big club like a Manchester Untied or Real Madrid - he would win them a few trophies 

I can't ever seem to get the best out of my players and always seem to be falling out with big players leading to them asking for a transfer so I suppose I would say my Role Model on that front would be Mourinho

:rolleyes:

I love Mou's "us against them" mentality but I don't like parking the bus as it really is boring and I also don't like tiki taka or similar styles as they struck me as boring too.

What I want to achieve is Jose's goal record breaking Real Madrid. No unnecessary passing, no slow buildup just deadly counter attacks...

I can't say he's my model or all-time favorite, but Didier Deschamps and the way he managed the French team at the WC is definitely a huge inspiration for me. I love his pragmatism, how he blended players with very different tactical backgrounds and made it work perfectly. He didn't pull any genius tactical trick, nor seemed to have a strong charisma. He simply built the most flexible team of the competition and allowed the best players to shine.

4 horas atrás, Ultrajet disse:

I can't say he's my model or all-time favorite, but Didier Deschamps and the way he managed the French team at the WC is definitely a huge inspiration for me. I love his pragmatism, how he blended players with very different tactical backgrounds and made it work perfectly. He didn't pull any genius tactical trick, nor seemed to have a strong charisma. He simply built the most flexible team of the competition and allowed the best players to shine.

Deschamps made Pogba seem a normal player, where he absolutely shines, and that's something I really admire.

I don't know why Man Utd / Mourinho felt the need to make Pogba the star, the main playmaker, to transform a 6/8 into a 10 by brute force. Pirlo was amazing as a 6. Xavi was amazing as a 6. Essien (in his best, tho short moment) was amazing as a 6. So why force Pogba to be what he's not?

Deschamps made that simple and easy again, and he should be congratulated for it.

Pep says that Bielsa is the best coach in the world.

Bielsa has gone on record to say that Chris Wilder has successfully implemented a style of play that he has tried and failed with numerous times.

This leads me to conclude that Chris Wilder is currently the best manager in the world.