OTF Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2018

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SouthCoastRed said:

I’m out.....horrific time at home currently. 

Hopefully things aren't quite as bad as the words used might make it sound and everythings ends up ok.

Take care :)

It will be a LATE NIGHT answers edition this evening, with my apologies. Don’t wait up! Answers and next round’s questions will be complete by tonight however.

Extra question: who let everyone down by reneging on a deal, failing to deliver on it and running off at the last moment when everyone was waiting for a key decision?

Just now, toon_84 said:

Didn't he do this last year?

I believe so. Snooker then, too.

Also, nice to see you getting in on the gif avatar action. Confused Clarity especially will be pleased.

4 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Extra question: who let everyone down by reneging on a deal, failing to deliver on it and running off at the last moment when everyone was waiting for a key decision?

Good evening! Welcome to your (slightly delayed) April quiz answers!

I may be late, but I am a victorious recreational snooker player, and that's the real quiz. I won't waste more of your time by telling you about how I comfortably cruised to a 4-2 win, so on with the answers!

Question 1: What, specifically, was the "Easter surprise from China" that had OTF a little worried in early April?

This was a tough round and it starts with a tough question. China throws up a lot of random ****, and only 5 of you correctly worked out what exactly I was referring to here.

On 28/03/2018 at 09:10, Sons FC said:

The Chinese space lab Tiangong 1 is due to hit Earth in the next few days. As it is an uncontrolled entry the exact time and location are unknown. The part of the lab that is returning weighs about 8.5 tonnes, so it is very likely that some parts will remain intact and impact the Earth - most probably in the ocean. The orbit doesn't take it anywhere near the UK but it passes over the US, Spain, Brazil and China.

It was, of course, a Chinese space lab crashing to earth! OTF even tracked it as it came hurtling towards us - that's just how cool we are.

Hurtling towards a point here are @Deisler26@Confused Clarity@ham_aka_stam, @Scott1892, @Anti Spiral and @Sons FC. Hooray!

@The Rebel MC, not for the first time in this round, went for "Jesus".

Edited by Wigmore

Question 2: What news story in April did toon_84 say he's ok with as long as he doesn't "end up with some kind of pauper disease when I go and get a slice of quiche"?

Alright alright, I admit it - this question was too hard. If someone asked me this, I would've been upset. I'm sorry to have upset you.

On 28/04/2018 at 12:31, Mr Adam said:
On 28/04/2018 at 13:52, toon_84 said:

As long as I don't end up with some kind of pauper disease when I go and get a slice of quiche then I'm not arsed what happens

It was the news that Sainsburys and ASDA were set to merge! I don't even remember this was a thing - that's how difficult this question was.

@sebsy, @ham_aka_stam and @toon_84 did however remember it was a thing, and get a point!!

Question 3: What TV advert was Baptista_8 complaining about when he said "shut the **** up!"?

I watch Netflix exclusively so again I would be ruled out immediately for this question. However I'm reliably informed that television is full of rubbish adverts... such as this one:

On 11/04/2018 at 11:15, Baptista_8 said:

Budweiser - Dilly Dilly! Shut the **** up!

It was Budweiser - Dilly Dilly!

Sadly that means the 6 of you who went for Go Compare miss out here - however @sebsy and @DB08 get themselves a point! Dilly Dilly!

Question 4: Who did Bliss Seeker declare that, in April, would be going to the HOLE IN THE GROUND?

A clue in the phrasing here, and given it's my most favourite all time TV program I'm sad that a lot of you missed it completely.

On 18/04/2018 at 21:39, Harryseaess said:

Dale Winton dies aged 62

On 18/04/2018 at 21:57, Bliss Seeker said:

Looks like he'll be going into THE HOLE IN THE GROUND! 

Rather insensitive from Bliss if you ask me, but it was of course the news that HOLE IN THE WALL presenter, Dale Winton, died. More death on the Big Fat Quiz - it's a particularly macabre edition this year.

Going wild in the aisles here are @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892, @Bliss Seeker, @toon_84 and @dafuge

@The Rebel MC unsuccessfully attempted "Jesus" for the second time this round.

QUESTION 5: What did we get in April that caused a 4 year old thread to be bumped again?

No, @sebsy, we did not get Herpes. Nor, @Bliss Seeker, did we get a new Toploader album(???).

On 18/04/2018 at 15:18, av3ry said:

Time to bump up this again :cool:

We're meant to have SUNS for the rest of the week and beginning of next week.

We got SUNS! And, little did we know at the time, we'd have SUNS for an incredibly long period this year!

The sun is shining upon @ham_aka_stam and @Anti Spiral, who both get a point.

The outlook is more disappointing for the SEVEN of you who went for Snow :( 

QUESTION 6: What changed its name in April that lead HawkAussie to question if it was an April Fools prank? For a bonus point, what is the exact new name of this thing?

This was a bit weird actually - I'm still not sure if it's actually a real thing? It doesn't really make any sense.

On 20/04/2018 at 10:57, PMLF said:

Swaziland king renames country 'the Kingdom of eSwatini'

It was Swaziland becoming the Kingdom of eSwatini. eSwatini sounds like a Rocket League clan or something to me. PS. check out how up to date I am referencing Rocket League - not an old fogie after all!

Well done to these clever points scorers!

2 points: @Confused Clarity, @sebsy, @ham_aka_stam, @DB08, @Scott1892, @Pukey

1 point: @Bliss Seeker, @Sons FC, @KF1990

Not so on-message here was @bestbrother, who thought Google had changed their name to Giggle (although that sounds like a great idea to me).

Question 7: A thread titled "RIP Geoffrey" was started in April, which lead several people to wonder if Mr Boycott had died. What was the thread actually about?

This turned out to be a clevererer question than I thought, as there were two Geoffrey based deaths in 2018! 12 of you went for one, 8 of you went for another. But which one is the correct one?

On 24/04/2018 at 13:29, Baptista_8 said:

Toys R Us closes all of its remaining stores today :(

It was about Toys R Us closing, and NOT about Geoffrey from Rainbow dying (which was later in the year). Even though, strangely enough, the first reply to this thread was this...

On 24/04/2018 at 13:32, sebsy said:

Assumed this was about Geoffrey from Rainbow.

Spooky!

Anyway, going the right way here and getting a point are @Confused Clarity, @sebsy, @ham_aka_stam, @DB08, @Anti Spiral, @Bliss Seeker, @toon_84, @gechal, @grff, @The_jagster, @mark1985 and @Ackter.

Going in a completely different direction here was @Mr_Demus, suggesting the thread was about a dead hamster.

Edited by Wigmore

Question 8: Can you name the title of the OTF thread in April that contained the following posts: "Hi John, how are you?", "That's a smashing blouse", "How about that local sports team?", "Politics hey? Bloody hell".

A logic based question, this. If you could think of the context in which all of the above things would be said, you would have got the right answer fairly quickly.

On 25/04/2018 at 18:32, MyNameIsJohn said:

Anyone any good at small talk?  Got any tips?

I am seriously woeful and need to up my game at work on this front!

We are of course looking at some fantastic examples of small talk!

Breaking the ice and retrieving a point here are @Confused Clarity, @ham_aka_stam, @toon_84, @Semi Skilled Milk, @gechal, @Deisler26

Two of you suggested this was about Richard Madeley, which I appreciated.

Edited by Wigmore

Question 9: A woman gave birth in April, sparking a 2 page thread on OTF. Why was it significant?

Just when you thought the April round was too bloody hard, WHAM, I throw in an absolute gimme.

On 23/04/2018 at 13:29, Wigmore said:

If you can't be bothered to click the link I helpfully provided back in April, I am of course talking about Kate & William's third child.

18 of 24 entrants got this one spot on, which means I get to be sadistic again and specifically call out those who did not (sorry)! @dafuge (no answer), @bestbrother (Cheryl Cole), @Deisler26 & @Ackter (she was really old), @The Rebel MC & @bdcuk (she pooped it out), all miss out here.

Also - I think that's the first time ever that somebody has given exactly the same answer as bdcuk for a question - interesting.

Edited by Wigmore
1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

3rd Child? 

When the hell did that happen? :D

George is one, the new one is 2, who's the 3rd? 

I don't ****ing know - leave me alone I'm pro-republic :D 

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

3rd Child? 

When the hell did that happen? :D

George is one, the new one is 2, who's the 3rd? 

Princess Charlotte. I'm also disappointed that the significant part wasn't that the new boy didn't leapfrog his sister. Because that's bloody significant and @Wigmore made it sound like that was important.

Question 10: Bliss Seeker started a truly enthralling thread in April, asking people to type "I wanna grab your" on their phone and then finishing the sentence with the next phone suggested word. Can you name 5 words that came up? One point for each, 5 guesses only!

Some potential absolute filth to end another glorious round, what a time to be alive.

You could've had any of the following here: Netflix, coffee, fancy, pussy, crucifix, attention, day, new, stuff, kids, beer, hair

And with that announcement, comes the scores on the doors for R4Q10:

3 points: @sebsy, @DB08

2 points: @Confused Clarity, @Scott1892, @Anti Spiral, @Semi Skilled Milk, @dafuge

1 point: @mark1985@ham_aka_stam, @Bliss Seeker, @Pukey, @gechal, @grff, @The_jagster, @Deisler26, @Ackter

Some of the more disturbing answers this round included "insides", "cheerleader", "gravy boat", "wet bits" and "potato".

Also @Ackter's point seems to have been accidental as he went for "big fat hairy ball sack" - earning a point for "hairy".

@bdcuk went to town here and got minus 3 on this question alone, ending the April round on minus 6.

Thus concludes April - a little later than planned... again, a thousand apologies! Leaderboard etc to follow.

Edited by Wigmore

April Round Score:

QKUdiGb.png

It's a joint win for the usual suspects @Confused Clarity, @sebsy and @ham_aka_stam - nice 1!

@The Rebel MC and @bestbrother sadly did not make it past zero this time round... hopefully you'll bounce back in May!

Edited by Wigmore

LEADERBOARD AFTER APRIL:

sf7NmzR.png

After successfully matching @sebsy's score, @Confused Clarity maintains his two point lead going into May. Also worth a mention is @DB08, who missed the first few rounds but had a fab April, shooting him up the leaderboard.

May questions coming in a bizzle!

Edited by Wigmore

As we rattle on mercilessly into May, the quiz is getting EXCITING. I hope you're having a lovely time so far. May brought us warm weather and the end of the Premier League season. However as a Clapton CFC fan, the only league I'm interested in is the Middlesex Counties League Division 1 Central & East - so I can't say I noticed this.

I digress. Here are your May questions!

Round 5 - MAY

1. What did Nigel Farage tell us there was no such thing as in May that drew the following responses on OTF: "He's just the old drunk guy in the corner of the pub who everyone ignores now", "I'm not even sure what he's saying anymore.", "He's gone insane."

2. What are these OTF quotes talking about from May? "haahah ahhaha what happened to UK oh my....", "WHAT'S JUST HAPPENED?", "WTF happened there? Did I miss something?", "What the hell happened just then?", "Wait.. what?", "That was... OK."

3. What spooky thing was @The Rebel MC's phone doing in May? There is a bonus point available here, but I'm not telling you what for.

4. What news story in May did @SteveUK get annoyed about because Sky Sports News were covering it, despite it not being about sport?

5. What did a woman drive into in May, making news and causing a debate on OTF as to whether she was an idiot or not?

6. There is breakfast, and then there is lunch, followed later on by dinner. Not according to @toon_84 though - how does he (incorrectly) refer to breakfast/lunch/dinner?

7. What thread was started in May that just had a picture of legs and green socks as the first post?

8. What did Pret A Manger do in May that convinced me to buy my lunch from them that day?

9. In May, this picture was posted in reference to a current UK event. For 1 point, who is that a picture of, and for another point, what was the current event?

EWi12aC.png

10. Why did several people suggest that @Mr_Demus should buy some bondage gear in May?

Another short-ish deadline and another late-ish answers sesh, due to dinner plans with Mrs Wigmore (so you can shout shambles at her and not me). You have until 10pm on Thursday 13 December to submit your May answers, good luck!

Edited by Wigmore
3 minutes ago, mark1985 said:

Beer was one of my answers for Q10! I demand points

So it was! My apologies. I have updated the question and both leaderboards.