OTF Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2018

Wigmore

No need to be butt hurt, the fact that Wigmore's primitive cheater detection methods have failed him has no bearing on the status of the non-cheaters leaderboard. 

It's perfectly fine. Usain Bolt, Daley Thompson, Bradley Walsh, Lance Armstrong and Adrian Mutu - all cheats who the public accepted as weak men who caved to temptation in the name of competition. 

We get it, and we don't judge :)

@Confused Clarity

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

NON-CHEATERS LEADERBOARD

Sorry for the delay, been a little busy. 

With 2 rounds to go, **** me this is tight at the top. I've naturally added my 3 handicap points for being drunk when submitting answers, which means I'm tied with @Semi Skilled Milk at the top, @The_jagsteronly one point behind and @Sons FC and @toon_84 and @grff all with a chance of securing the coveted trophy for those who chose to play this once a year event in the most ethical, honest and gentlemenly way possible way. 

Nothing against those leading the Cheaters table. 

Temptation is a wicked wicked thing. 

20181229_122222.thumb.png.d4d8bd0dc289be44bafa28e3e84ae52f.png

Ohh page topper! :)

QUESTION 1: What did Shortie suggest Paul Bacon's name should be changed to in November? CLUE: It is a lawyer's name

Hold the phone guys, we've got a blank to start! Disappointing as this was the very first November question I wrote, and I thought it was a great one.

On 03/11/2018 at 11:54, Shortie said:

Can we get @Paul Bacon name changed to Ken Kratz? 

Making A Murderer fans should really have known that Paul's vociferous opinion that Mr Avery and Mr Dassey are very much guilty earned him the nickname Ken Kratz in November. If anyone knows who is he... which is evidently nobody in this thread... you'll know why this is a rather unfortunate nickname to be given.

NOBODY GOT THIS! 3 of you went for Lionel Hutz, who I've never heard of. Spare a thought for @Semi Skilled Milk who was on the right lines with "Kathleen Zellner", but was so close yet so far from the right answer.

QUESTION 2: In November, what type of thread was started that is normally closed did moderator ham_aka_stam decide not to close because people were being nice?

Man am I embarrassed about the wording of this question - it sounds like a 5 year old wrote it. Sorry guys. Anyway, what was the type of thread what is normally not closed what ham didn't close because people was being nice?

On 01/11/2018 at 07:51, samsaha86 said:

new member here

On 01/11/2018 at 08:58, ham_aka_stam said:

There's a flipping new members thread right at the top!

But I will allow this cos people are being nice.

It was of course a new member hello thread! And may I offer a belated welcome to @samsaha86 - it's a pleasure to have you here old friend.

Welcoming themselves to a point here were @sebsy, @Scott1892, @dafuge, @Bliss Seeker, @DB08 and @Semi Skilled Milk - nice!

1 minute ago, Wigmore said:

QUESTION 2: In November, what type of thread was started that is normally closed did moderator ham_aka_stam decide not to close because people were being nice?

Man am I embarrassed about the wording of this question - it sounds like a 5 year old wrote it. Sorry guys. Anyway, what was the type of thread what is normally not closed what ham didn't close because people was being nice?

It was of course a new member hello thread! And may I offer a belated welcome to @samsaha86 - it's a pleasure to have you here old friend.

Welcoming themselves to a point here were @sebsy, @Scott1892, @dafuge, @Bliss Seeker, @DB08 and @Semi Skilled Milk - nice!

It's still his one and only post. I feel a list coming in a few years...

QUESTION 3: PMLF posted a video of police in November stopping a 5 seater car in the Dominican Republic because it was overcrowded. For THREE points, how many people were seen getting out of the car in the video? One point if you're 1 out!

Here's a question. Question 3 of Round 11 to be precise. We need to see a little video to find out what our answer to this one is.

On 04/11/2018 at 18:10, PMLF said:

Now, if my counting is correct, which it may not be as my eyesight is not so good these days, 18 people got out of the car!

Interestingly, there were no 1 point answers here but a few of you got the maximum 3 points on offer. Well done to @Confused Clarity, @bestbrother, @Deisler26, @georginho_juventusygr and @Ackter on their R11Q3 megahaul.

Way off was @mark1985, who thought two people got out of the 5 seater car.... and @Bliss Seeker who thought THIRTY FIVE people got out of it. Hmmm.

QUESTION 4: New poster RodolfDRanger224 started a thread which contained only one sentence in November, which was a massive spoiler for which TV show?

Don't worry friends, there is no need to avert your eyes now - I'll do you a solid and redact the offending spoiler.

embGJib.png

Rodolf was of course completely ruining The Walking Dead for everyone, hooray!

@Confused Clarity, @bestbrother, @sebsy, @Scott1892, @georginho_juventusygr, @Sons FC, @dafuge, @Bliss Seeker, @DB08 and @Semi Skilled Milk walked dead into a point on this question!

@mark1985 I think has been on the sauce a bit lately judging by his offering of "Dallas" to this question, and a few other questionable answers which we'll talk about later.

QUESTION 5: What forum quirk, seemingly specific to browsing on mobile, did Bigwig describe as "annoying" in November?

This was a "I've run out of questions" question that I slotted in at the last minute, because it's a bit boring, innit. Still, I'm sure it's a welcome reminder to the ubiquitous @Neil Brock to work his magic on.

On 15/11/2018 at 13:50, Bigwig said:

Whenever I view posts with tweets on my mobile they spread out over the edge of the page. This means I have to keep scrolling along and back again and it’s annoying.

Bigwig was moaning about tweets spilling over the page! Which, to be fair, is a little frustrating - but you know, there are bigger problems in the world I guess.

@Confused Clarity, @georginho_juventusygr and @Sons FC are twittering off with a point here, nice one!

@sebsy is no longer teacher's pet after his answer of "being able to see Wigmore's posts". :( :( :( 

QUESTION 6: Citizen Kane wanted this picture photoshopped in November to instead read the name of his Sunday League team. What is the name of his Sunday League team?

I think it's only fair to include the most pathetic photoshop attempt to show you the answer here. No prizes for guessing who that came from.

On 08/11/2018 at 16:52, Bliss Seeker said:

goodfellas.thumb.png.37ce4cb6d38812d9a980934cecff2180.png

Look, the letters are all in different fonts ffs! And what is that at the top! Why Bliss, why!!! Oh yeah by the way we were looking for Goodfellas AFC.

@Confused Clarity, @sebsy, @dafuge and @Bliss Seeker are the good fellows of this question, with full marks!

@mark1985 went for Inter Your Nan... which funnily enough was the name of a team that used to play in my 5 a side league. We were called AFC Intergalactic Spatula County - I can't remember why.

QUESTION 7: In November, a recently deceased man was described on OTF as an "idiot", "moron" and "arsehole". Why?

Oooh I'm saddened that not many got this... this was some interesting and pretty weird news that didn't happen all that long ago.

On 21/11/2018 at 21:29, Citizen Kane said:

The north sentinel Island

https://news.sky.com/story/us-man-killed-by-tribe-after-ignoring-ban-on-visiting-remote-north-sentinel-island-11559343

How naive of this man 'curiosity killed the cat' this place has always intrigued me. Are there more places like this around the world, any as isolated as this 

This was of course about that bloke what visited the remote North Sentinel island and got arrowed to death. Apparently he was going to preach religion, which I presume would have been tricky to people who don't know about words and stuff. So yes, a bit of a plonker really.

Only @sebsy and @Semi Skilled Milk got this one!

@Deisler26 went for the slightly interesting "died with Farage tattoo on his willy". That would make a great story even better.

QUESTION 8: Klimowicz showed us a video in November of an estate agent in a predicament. For one point, what was the nature of the predicament, and for another point, exactly where was she when this happened (detail needed)?

Can I just say that I like cats and I'm disappointed that this question made the quiz because it paints cats in a bad light, when in fact they are great.

On 12/11/2018 at 20:43, Klimowicz said:

This was about the "evil" cat that held an estate agent hostage on her bed. The video doesn't seem to load properly in a quote, but I promise you that that's what it is! One point for mentioning she was held hostage by a cat, another point for mentioning she was on a bed / in a bedroom.

Answering purrrrrfectly here are the following:

2 points: @bestbrother, @Deisler26, @Scott1892, @Sons FC, @DB08

1 point: @The_jagster

@mark1985 again baffling the scorers with his answer of "Telling the truth (in North Korea)" :D 

QUESTION 9: In November, there was an OTF thread about an event which, in the end, only narrowly avoided Armageddon. What am I talking about?

For the second time this round, this question checkmated everyone! Which is a surprise to me, because I ended up following this event quite closely despite having absolutely no interest in the particular activity the event was based on.

On 27/11/2018 at 01:12, martinji said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46343036

Two chess grandmasters have spent November locked in stalemate, with the world chess championship up for grabs.

After 12 games and 12 draws, American Fabiano Caruana is seeking to take the title from Norwegian Magnus Carlsen.

After drawing their final match in London on Monday, they head to a series of fast-paced tie-breakers, culminating in a game type known as "Armageddon".

This was about the World Chess Championship, which almost went to the "Armageddon" round - however a man moved some pieces into the correct place before it ever came to that.

Nobody got this one! But once again @mark1985 has made doing this quiz worthwhile for me with another stunning offering of "Harry Kane trying to say perspective".

QUESTION 10: What was gechal talking about in November when he said "and you thought it was just the food that was ****"?

Onto the final question of the penultimate round and it was one of the easier ones we've had (excepting @mark1985 who thought this was all about Luxembourg).

On 28/11/2018 at 17:57, gechal said:

And you thought it was just the food that was ****

It was of course the "story" about every touch screen in McDonald's having traces of poo on them! The story does of course omit the fact that everything in the world has traces of poo on it, but I'm willing to forgo that for the sake of a thrilling quiz question.

Squeezing out a point here were @Confused Clarity, @bestbrother, @Deisler26, @sebsy, @Scott1892, @dafuge, @Bliss Seeker and @The_jagster

And thus concludes the November answers, in a record 42 minutes! I'm getting the hang of this quizmastering... just in time for me to give it up for another 11 months. Leaderboards incoming!

23 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

QUESTION 5: What forum quirk, seemingly specific to browsing on mobile, did Bigwig describe as "annoying" in November?

This was a "I've run out of questions" question that I slotted in at the last minute, because it's a bit boring, innit. Still, I'm sure it's a welcome reminder to the ubiquitous @Neil Brock to work his magic on.

Bigwig was moaning about tweets spilling over the page! Which, to be fair, is a little frustrating - but you know, there are bigger problems in the world I guess.

@Confused Clarity, @georginho_juventusygr and @Sons FC are twittering off with a point here, nice one!

@sebsy is no longer teacher's pet after his answer of "being able to see Wigmore's posts". :( :( :( 

I did enjoy giving that answer.

LEADERBOARD AFTER ROUND 11:

tEge648.png

Those of you who know how to add up may have already realised that we have a change at the top of the leaderboard! @Confused Clarity has taken a one point lead over @sebsy going into the final round of this year's quiz! Exciting times ahead!

The very last round of quiz questions are coming shortly....

And so to December, and our last round before I go and have a little rest / start doing some actual work at work. The December round is the biggest yet in terms of potential pointage, so it's very much all to play for - whether it be victory in the conventional sense, or victory in @Bliss Seeker's parallel universe. Best of luck with your final 10 questions!

Round 12 - DECEMBER

1. For FIVE(!!!) points, can you name five gifts that featured in @Gimpy's annual Christmas "spoiled brat" fake post in December?

2. Posted by @Ackter in December, what is hidden in this photo and, for a bonus point, why is it strange that said thing is in the photo?

9pZ9Q55.jpg

3. What did staff at a Jamaican hotel do in December that OTFers described as "awful" and "full on serial killer decision making"?

4. Which sportsperson did OTFers describe as "the greatest", "unbelievable" and "incredible" in December?

5. @VamPook posted about PETA's latest bout of over-the-top political correctness in December. For a point each, can you fill in the 5 blanks in this image?

mBJx2fX.jpg

6. What was a comedian asked to do prior to a gig at a university in December that prompted outrage on OTF?

7. What big news story in December did @Ter think was the responsibility of aliens?

8. Things went a bit polltastic in December, mainly because of @Ackter. For instance, he asked us if we would rather have a hand made of ham, or an armpit that does what?

9. Why was @Bigwig so happy to get home so he could use his WiFi in December?

10. AND FINALLY - have you been paying attention? For THREE points, what is the maximum possible score in this year's Big Fat Quiz? TWO points if you're no more than 3 away, ONE point if you're no more than 5 away

NOTE - some of these questions are from relatively current threads, so I'm going to be extra-on-the-lookout for naughtiness! I got my eye on you Jay-Quellin!

The deadline for your final set of answers is, as ever, 9pm on Tuesday 1 January 2019. Good luck!

Looks like I'm not the only person to miss that round.

If it hadn't have taken me so long to do the dishes after tea I might have made the deadline. I tried to do it at dinner time but I got side tracked watching football focus and then I had to go to the shop as the pizza my son was supposed to be having for his tea got fed to him for his dinner.

2 minutes ago, toon_84 said:

If it hadn't have taken me so long to do the dishes after tea I might have made the deadline. I tried to do it at dinner time but I got side tracked watching football focus and then I had to go to the shop as the pizza my son was supposed to be having for his tea got fed to him for his dinner.

Alright mate don't need your life story.

:) 

Archived