Sports Interactive Community
Lamias

Training question

Hey guys, I am a bit confused as to how to approach training.

Essentially my question is this: Should I tailor the training schedule every week depending on my opponent's weaknesses (e.g. train "attacking from wings" if they concede lots of goals from there), or should I leave the training schedule intact for 3-4 months to see an increase in the attributes I want, like in older FMs?

Thanks!!

Most training is attribute training, not that the team is better at gegenpressing in the next match.

Training Gegenpressing all season will make players not fully developed focus on training skills related to that and in 2-3+ years you club will develop players that has focused in that style.

There is a few training types that directly make the team a bit better in the next match, but most of it is long term training.

The stuff under the match category seems to involve giving the team some kind of on pitch buff for the next match or few matches. (Not sure how long a session of "teamwork" last, It seems strangely inconsistent, if had cases of all types somehow been active for a match without being able to remember having any sessions in a while and other times when I had sessions scheduled the match get no listed items)

Thanks for this reply. It does shed some light.

So if I need to prepare for a match, I will go to Match Preparation tab and choose accordingly, right? And all the other times I should leave the schedule intact to train the attributes I want for some months.

Also, training less attributes produces faster results? For example, if I choose to train all the physical attributes, will I get slower results than if I choose to train only the quickness attributes?

Edited by Lamias

If I have understood comments on the new training system, it's intentionally designed to be hard to min/max, so I've no idea what to do.

I manage a team that plays two matches a week, so that is six days a week ripped away from the training schedule, so I'm personally very worried about my attribute training being horrible for any player that doesn't play in matches.

The way the game butcher automatic training schedules make me very worried for any player in the first team squad, if they aren't playing in the matches (I hope playing improves attributes, but that doesn't help any rotation or rested player).

Yes, playing improves attributes that are used in that positon role/duty - more so in younger players, more mentals in older players.

On two matches a week, most of the training is purely 'maintenance' to be honest if you build in enough rest and recovery sessions. 

There is a intensity tool that allows you to set different intensities depending on players fitness, you could use that to make sure your unused rotation players train harder iff they're not used in the last game - anyone who did would have condition level lower than the threshold and would be on lower intensity.

5 hours ago, Snorks said:

Yes, playing improves attributes that are used in that positon role/duty - more so in younger players, more mentals in older players.

On two matches a week, most of the training is purely 'maintenance' to be honest if you build in enough rest and recovery sessions. 

There is a intensity tool that allows you to set different intensities depending on players fitness, you could use that to make sure your unused rotation players train harder iff they're not used in the last game - anyone who did would have condition level lower than the threshold and would be on lower intensity.

That doesn't really help with the real problem of the automatic scheduling getting butchered and what sessions is left might miss goalkeepers for most of the season or result in the players wanting more quickness training, because matches keep being schedules to remove that part of the automatic training..

We are back to FM18 training where the best training is using every session on balanced and the new training system is stupidly complicated without giving us players ANYTHING.

Slightly digressing, I'm finding the whole new training overhaul for FM 2019 quite overwhelming, I know the easier option is to just let Assistant Manager and coaches take care of it all, but it is nice to tinker with from time to time myself.

I know SI have implemented a more realistic training engine, more true to life and I'm sure it will evolve fully during future versions, for now reading up on it and following in game tutorial are probably the best options.

P.S with good coaches and leaving it to the assistant manager to run I do find players attributes do improve over time.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Lamias said:

What do you mean "the automatic scheduling gets butchered?"

Try scheduling Set Piece training all pre-season then randomly plot in friendlies and depending on where the matches get put, you might end up never training delivery, because the match always butcher the schedule with no intelligence involved in trying to handle it.

It should randomly generate the order of sessions, so if you mostly play Sunday matches, it isn't always the same 3 days of sessions you loss.

I think any top club that end up playing 2 matches pr. week all year, should prolly switch to custom schedules with General-Overall sessions, just to make sure you don't risk never trianing goalkeepers or teamwork, because of the more narrow focus of the other type of sessions. (I haven't actually checked if General->Overall actually means all attributes is trained, if it's missing any, you might need to micromanage it even more, to avoid weird cases where you end up rarely training first touch or something.)

I kind of understand. I am in the process of making my own schedules because I like having an active role in everything, and I am overwhelmed.

It's hard to ensure you have trained adequately all the attributes, or to understand based on what factors your Ass Man chose a training schedule.

If SI wanted us to pass training on to our Ass Man, they kind of achieved it.

Edited by Lamias

I take him to mean that at a small part-time club there are few training sessions and they are with low-grade coaches in low-grade facilities. As such, they can't affect the players overmuch. What DOES matter greatly is the playing time the players get. Plenty of first-team action in the required roles and duties, and their attributes should increase just fine.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I take him to mean that at a small part-time club there are few training sessions and they are with low-grade coaches in low-grade facilities. As such, they can't affect the players overmuch. What DOES matter greatly is the playing time the players get. Plenty of first-team action in the required roles and duties, and their attributes should increase just fine.

Yes, but what about the players that don't make it in the squad? They won't increase their attributes with match experience nor with training...

4 minutes ago, Lamias said:

Yes, but what about the players that don't make it in the squad? They won't increase their attributes with match experience nor with training...

Yes, and that's realistic enough for a small part-time outfit.

The realism mantra again. I cannot disagree with it, I just don't like it.

Games shouldn't be realistic only when it suits them, or when it's easy to be. That leads to uneven factors that make games unplayable.

They should be realistic when realism actually serves towards them being better games.

Edited by Lamias

The game's perfectly playable. I enjoy managing amateur and part-time teams with small squads. Players don't want to be at your club earning a pittance or nothing just to sit in your reserves, so you keep a tight ship, rotate and give everyone a chance to play. It's called good squad management.

And (just for the sake of conversation) what happens when you need to win matches for your team to be promoted in the league, and you have 3-4 worthless players who complain about lack of matches?

If they don't play, they are spreading bad morale, but if they play, since they cannot be trained well, they are worthless and cost you the games and you don't get promoted.

2 hours ago, Lamias said:

And (just for the sake of conversation) what happens when you need to win matches for your team to be promoted in the league, and you have 3-4 worthless players who complain about lack of matches?

If they don't play, they are spreading bad morale, but if they play, since they cannot be trained well, they are worthless and cost you the games and you don't get promoted.

You have to identify, isolate and remove them before it gets to that point. I've done that a few times in the current season. And, to avoid such situations in the future, I've hired a HoYD with high professionalism and determination to bring those traits out in my academy kids. Those that lack them don't get a contract.

On 30/11/2018 at 15:03, Miravlix said:

Try scheduling Set Piece training all pre-season then randomly plot in friendlies and depending on where the matches get put, you might end up never training delivery, because the match always butcher the schedule with no intelligence involved in trying to handle it.

It should randomly generate the order of sessions, so if you mostly play Sunday matches, it isn't always the same 3 days of sessions you loss.

I think any top club that end up playing 2 matches pr. week all year, should prolly switch to custom schedules with General-Overall sessions, just to make sure you don't risk never trianing goalkeepers or teamwork, because of the more narrow focus of the other type of sessions. (I haven't actually checked if General->Overall actually means all attributes is trained, if it's missing any, you might need to micromanage it even more, to avoid weird cases where you end up rarely training first touch or something.)

All of the preset schedules have been set up to handle 0, 1 or 2 matches per week. 3 matches in a week has it's own specific schedule (Fixture Congestion).

If you're finding these are being inadequately adapted to your situation please do post a thread in the bugs forum and I'll take a look.

If you're setting up specific training yourself, especially if it is done in an unrealistic manner (Set Pieces all week every week ad infinitum), you would expect to have to resolve fixtures interfering with training yourself, although the system will also attempt to aid you here.

Note - GKs get plenty of work in most schedules, even those not related to GKs. Check the session card for more info on what each session actually trains, eg. yes Overall does train First Touch.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

You have to identify, isolate and remove them before it gets to that point. I've done that a few times in the current season. And, to avoid such situations in the future, I've hired a HoYD with high professionalism and determination to bring those traits out in my academy kids. Those that lack them don't get a contract.

Good to know your approach, thank you! Although it's a pity to have to remove a youngster who has so much potential just because he is unhappy.

@Seb Wassell,

So essentially, what I understand is that we are discouraged from creating 100% our own training schedules. How can we possibly know what is a realistic training schedule and what is not (except from the obviously unrealistic schedule that you mentioned of course). We have almost no idea how real life teams work.

What confuses me is this: All the teams need every attribute in their game, whether they attack or they defend. So if I make my own schedules every week, how will I be sure that I am adequately training all the attributes and that I gave them the necessary focus? Will I have to list each attribute of the game and cross it off the list when it's trained? I see no other way.

I would appreciate a reply as I am lost here. :)

Edited by Lamias

I agree with most comments above: the new training system is more realistic but also a bit more overwhelming.  Though I picked a lower division, poor club, I wonder if I'm under-performing in FM19 because I'm missing out on important aspects of the training calendar. I've been trying to:

1- diversify with a variety of weekly programs (for example, a two-month sequence: defense, balanced, attack technical, balance, counterattack, defense, etc.)

2- tweak the weekly programs, by adding "team bonding" and "match reviews" (BTW, I wish these were automatic...)

3- pepper additional set-piece and technical daily sessions (while keeping an eye to avoid excessive training that results in tiredness and injuries).

*** I'm inclined to start focusing more on the Balanced weekly program, and also diversifying them by selecting other basic weekly programs (attack, defense, tactics), and keep adding "team bonding", "match review", and set piece sessions. I'm inclined to NOT choose hyper-specialized programs too much. 

Please any feedback on this vision or any additional tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.