Sports Interactive Community
BasedDarrenMoore

How to get a low block working?

I've been trying to get a Burnley style tactic going for a while, with little to no success. The 'Park-the-bus' tactic style seems awful against ever team I've faced. Has anyone got such a tactic to work yet?

Not Burnley per sae, but I'm now playing exclusively with low block tactics. I've decoupled it from mentality and simply using DWidth, DLine and LOE...

You can create a very compact defence or you can defend deep but leave an attacking threat by stretching your units. My preference at the moment is to set a deep LOE and slightly deeper DLine...but keep an attack duty striker in position to thrive off of clearances or counter attacking direct passes. I'm really enjoying it and having great success... I stopped playing the retail release because it felt too easy, but the latest public beta release is a far more balanced ME so I enjoy it more as I'm not winning every game 4-0 with goals from long ball... I'm getting more 0-0,1-1,1-0 results... Which is exactly what I want from the low block tactic. 

Currently using Tranmere (media prediction 23rd lg2) ... But did very well with Sunderland (media prediction 1st lg1) and Bournemouth (media prediction 14th[ish] epl) and man utd (media prediction 4/5 epl) .. So it's not just working for bad or good or average teams (like some counter styles are only effective if you are a bad team and the opponents over commit) 

5 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Not Burnley per sae, but I'm now playing exclusively with low block tactics. I've decoupled it from mentality and simply using DWidth, DLine and LOE...

You can create a very compact defence or you can defend deep but leave an attacking threat by stretching your units. My preference at the moment is to set a deep LOE and slightly deeper DLine...but keep an attack duty striker in position to thrive off of clearances or counter attacking direct passes. I'm really enjoying it and having great success... I stopped playing the retail release because it felt too easy, but the latest public beta release is a far more balanced ME so I enjoy it more as I'm not winning every game 4-0 with goals from long ball... I'm getting more 0-0,1-1,1-0 results... Which is exactly what I want from the low block tactic. 

Currently using Tranmere (media prediction 23rd lg2) ... But did very well with Sunderland (media prediction 1st lg1) and Bournemouth (media prediction 14th[ish] epl) and man utd (media prediction 4/5 epl) .. So it's not just working for bad or good or average teams (like some counter styles are only effective if you are a bad team and the opponents over commit) 

Do you have any images, would love to know what you're using, tried something similar with Real Madrid, but didn't quite work out.

5 ore fa, westy8chimp ha scritto:

I'm now playing exclusively with low block tactics. I've decoupled it from mentality

In what sense did you decouple the low block from the mentality? That you only change the mentality during the game if you want to be more or less offensive?

9 hours ago, BasedDarrenMoore said:

Do you have any images, would love to know what you're using, tried something similar with Real Madrid, but didn't quite work out.

Then leaving two upfront with a much deeper dline

4231- counter

442 attacking with utd, still low block

I posted my setup in another thread from the Sunderland save.. I'll copy it here when I find it. And should have some images of defence in action on my one drive otherwise I'll take some in my next session. You can see in a couple of the vids above... We win the ball very deep and with one or two passes we score. 

The theme of the saves was to create a side no one wanted to play against. Deep packed defence, get stuck in, tight marking, direct play with a striker always staying advanced, high tempo. Can't relax... The game vs Chelsea I think I won two nil... Starting with 442 with both strikers on attack duty but very deep conservativ defence. Scored first, later dropped to a 41221 counter and nicked the second

Sunderland I went 442 all season with tm-s and poacher partnership... Was beautiful

9 hours ago, sovy666 said:

In what sense did you decouple the low block from the mentality? That you only change the mentality during the game if you want to be more or less offensive?

I mean my default thought process wasn't 'low block = low mentality' . Quite often I'm playing the lowest dline setting and loe... But with attacking mentality... It really does help encourage forward momentum (quick counter attacking long passes). But not afraid to start in balanced either or switch in game when winning to cautious. 

15 ore fa, westy8chimp ha scritto:

I mean my default thought process wasn't 'low block = low mentality' . Quite often I'm playing the lowest dline setting and loe... But with attacking mentality... It really does help encourage forward momentum (quick counter attacking long passes). But not afraid to start in balanced either or switch in game when winning to cautious. 

So I was right to say that you only change the mentality during the game if you want to be more or less offensive but keep the low block. I tried a similar thing with Juventus even if with a style more marked by ball possession, changing the mentality according to the progress of the game between cautious, balanced and positive.

When it comes to a low-block style of defending, I fully agree with what Rashidi has pointed out in some of his videos - for a low block you (primarily) need defenders with good positioning and jumping reach, since you'll have to deal with plenty of crosses. Other tactical settings would depend on the overall type of your players and of course the formation you intend to use, which in turn should (again) depend on the type of your players.

I remember reading something from 18, maybe earlier, about the more attacking mentalities involving direct passing from the back and shorter passing from the front whereas the more defensive mentalities were vice versa. It stuck with me because it seemed counter-intuitive to how I imagined my set-ups to act and so I've since created my tactic in that regard, low line, low loe, attacking mentality.

1 hour ago, gavinski33 said:

I remember reading something from 18, maybe earlier, about the more attacking mentalities involving direct passing from the back and shorter passing from the front whereas the more defensive mentalities were vice versa. It stuck with me because it seemed counter-intuitive to how I imagined my set-ups to act and so I've since created my tactic in that regard, low line, low loe, attacking mentality.

I think it’s the exact opposite.. which is why that doesn’t make sense 😀

7 hours ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

I think it’s the exact opposite.. which is why that doesn’t make sense 😀

This can be 19's fluid v structured :) 

I tend to see the mentality thing not as a style of play as such - I think changing the names of counter and control was a very sensible thing to do - but more of 'eagerness to get forward', if that makes sense, hence if I was to ever try to replicate a Barcelona-esque style of play I'd be more inclined to use cautious or defensive.

It's all subjective of course, there's a million of us playing this game a million different ways with massively varying interpretations of each and every feature. Hence all the bugs