Work Permit (FM19 post Brexit)

I'm in Sky Bet Championship in 2020 and signed an 18 year old Colombian wonderkid regen. 

He failed to get a Work Permit and is now languishing on my bench getting no game time at all.

Can someone please explain in simple terms how to get him a WP?

I've read that I need to loan him out - but why would loaning him to a Non-UK club help him get a UK WP?

Sorry for the newb question.

Jim

If he's a wonderkid loaning him out will mean he's good enough to be getting caps for Colombia early enough and getting him enough international games he then qualifies for that work permit in theory but having never done it I'm not it works in game.

I'd be wary of signing south americans without a work permit though. Nice to have but better off spending elsewhere however tempting they look. Like you seem to have been, I've been burnt in the past. Might have to chalk it off as a "live and learn". :( 

Best option would be to loan him to a Spanish club on a two year deal. That should get him Spanish citizenship so long as he’s there for two consecutive, uninterrupted years. 

Should he feature enough senior caps, you could apply for work permit after accumulating the proper number of points. If he’s doing that and you’re nearing a transfer window, you could bring his contract to an amount that helps him get points too. 

Work permits are a tricky little thing that may not warrant the headache. If you go to transfer rules, you can study WP rules in more detail.

1 minute ago, s0ni42 said:

Best option would be to loan him to a Spanish club on a two year deal. That should get him Spanish citizenship so long as he’s there for two consecutive, uninterrupted years. 

Should he feature enough senior caps, you could apply for work permit after accumulating the proper number of points. If he’s doing that and you’re nearing a transfer window, you could bring his contract to an amount that helps him get points too. 

Work permits are a tricky little thing that may not warrant the headache. If you go to transfer rules, you can study WP rules in more detail.

Depending on the type of Brexit, a Spanish passport won't do him much good. In my Brexit, all non-UK or Irish players are classified as foreigners, but U23 players trained by UK clubs are excempt.

• 2 months later...

Anybody knows about an official guide about work permits in England?

I signed a 18yo Argentinian and he got work permit immediately.

Next year I also signed an Argentinian , he didn't get a work permit , I signed 2 affiliated Clubs , for that purpose to send him on loan, a message told me that he needs at least 5 year loaning to get a work permit.

I have scouted 2 Colombian wonder kids but I was afraid to signed them,

now ,after 1 year (or less ,I don't remember very well) the Argentinian  '' has been granted a British work permit for the reminder of his contract "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple of players who are on youth work permits. I am aware that they cannot play league matches for me as they do not meet the £8000pw wage threshold, but I was wondering, if I loan them out to another English club, will they be able to play senior football for that club? Or will I have to loan them abroad in order to get them competitive football? I have an English affiliate club but don't want to send him there if he's not going to play. I may aswell just keep him at my club or send him abroad!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

The issue with everyone asking how to get a work permit for their players post-Brexit are forgetting that there are several different transfer/work permit systems the game may choose from following Brexit in-game, and without proper screenshots of the league rules section, especially the part that covers work permits, we can only offer very generalised advice.

• 5 months later...

Hi, guys. I've just taken the Manchester United job after spending 11 years at HJK Helsinki.

In Finland, the squad registration is rather interesting - at least 4 Finnish players must be on the pitch at any one time, at least 9 Finnish players in the matchday 18, and no more than 3 foreign players in the matchday squad; with no structured "registration". Since we could play 4 games a week, I had a squad of 54 senior players, and not one of them was "registered", simply following the "rules" of the squad!

However, upon joining Man United, Brexit really took its toll; my Brexit scenario was that no more than 18 foreign players can be registered in a maximum squad of 25 players. Ireland and the UK are classed as HG. Though you are totally unable to purchase foreign players at all - so you can imagine how difficult it is to fulfil Ed Woodward's demands of making the Semis of the Champions League...

Tldr: Brexit means the FA needs to invest more in younger, HG players!

• 2 weeks later...

At least 9 Finnish players in a match day squad of 18 yet no more than 3 foreign players make no sense. The second rule means there must be at least 15 Finnish players in the squad.

And why are you unable to purchase any foreigners at Manchester United?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2019 at 23:21, Nobby_McDonald said:

At least 9 Finnish players in a match day squad of 18 yet no more than 3 foreign players make no sense. The second rule means there must be at least 15 Finnish players in the squad.

And why are you unable to purchase any foreigners at Manchester United?

Ah, allow me to clarify - there must be ≥4 HGN Finnish players on the pitch at any one time, and ≥9 HGN Finnish players in the matchday squad.

So hypothetically, you could have 5 HGN players on the bench, and 4 on the pitch.

If you wished to substitute one of the 4 HGN players, it must be for another HGN player.

If you had 7 HGN players and 4 HGN bench players, then your 3 substitutes could be the remaining 3 bench players.

However, there must be no more than 3 "foreign" (outside EU) players in the matchday squad. Scott McTominay and Sergio Aguero were my favourite "foreign" players.

Alas, the Brexit was a hard-hard-Brexit. I can only purchase British and Irish players, and any foreigners at the club (28-year old Victor Lindelof) can have their contracts renewed, but I'm thinking, what's going to happen in 10 years' time!? The PL will be brutally British, the Farage dream!