Sports Interactive Community

Does the weather have an effect on gameplay or the pitch or is it there just for aesthetics . For what I can see the bounce of the ball or the speed of players are not noticeable . Yet there are weather effects that you can change in the Pre-Editor depending on where you live  

To be honest, I have never noticed any effect that the weather may have on the ME

Warmer weather will see condition drop at a faster rate.

I'm unsure if the wind makes dealing with long balls and crosses harder though.

Pitch condition, whether it is snowy, muddy etc will play a part of course. Passes will be more of a struggle through the middle on a muddy pitch, but will be better wide where it is less muddy. Snow on pitches is the opposite. This was something wwfan wrote about quite a while ago.

Even altitude affects the away team.

Exactly how much and whether it is enough of a difference, I don't know.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Warmer weather will see condition drop at a faster rate.

I'm unsure if the wind makes dealing with long balls and crosses harder though.

Pitch condition, whether it is snowy, muddy etc will play a part of course. Passes will be more of a struggle through the middle on a muddy pitch, but will be better wide where it is less muddy. Snow on pitches is the opposite. This was something wwfan wrote about quite a while ago.

Even altitude affects the away team.

Exactly how much and whether it is enough of a difference, I don't know.

Well at least it has some effect

The main impact are waterlogged pitches and postponed matches.

Just remember that everywhere you go you always take the weather with you.

when I see that there is a heavy downpour or something, I try to play a narrower formation with short passing and lesser running with ball, due to my assumption that the pitch will be extremely wet.

now I wonder, does it actually matter? i'm not sure.... maybe the weather is just for aesthetics? some say it makes no difference.

Just now, upthetoon said:

when I see that there is a heavy downpour or something, I try to play a narrower formation with short passing and lesser running with ball, due to my assumption that the pitch will be extremely wet.

now I wonder, does it actually matter? i'm not sure.... maybe the weather is just for aesthetics? some say it makes no difference.

Some say it, but as I have said - it does.

If you've got a good team (more so if they're Technically good), you probably won't struggle too much with bad weather.

And if you've got a bad team, you're probably already bypassing most of the turf anyway in your hoofball tactics.

So really it's if you've got a middling team. 

I used to change my tactics if the weather was bad, back in... well, a long time ago. Nowadays I can't be bothered.

(I do remember managing an African side in the Cup of Nations and one of my players finishing a match with lower than 10% Condition)

Pretty sure heavy wind affects goal kicks and other long range, high passing. Either that or my players can break the laws of physics, or pull a Neo on the match engine/matrix. 

A question relating to the weather, and soemnthing that I just realised:

I haven;t noticed so much (although could be due to the way I play the game recently) the muddy pitches and degradation across the season we used to see - particularly lower league grounds. Came to mind when I saw highlights of the Spurs v Chelsea game at the weekend and the marvelous condition of the pitch at our national stadium!

Sometimes in the lower leagues heavy wind can cause postponements because the groundsman can't get the corner flags to stay up.

Edited by wattzy

One of my best experiences in FM was concerning the weather.

I think it was FM10? I was managing Blyth Spartans in the Conference North.

Obviously I had no money. Pitch was terrible. Week after week the weather was awful. I watched my pitch get visibly worse and worse. I was having to play direct just to move the ball.

Then one day, we played, the rain poured down. The ball started getting stuck. In puddles, commentary reflected this. The match became a farce. It looked a farce. It looked real!

I think it was in the 2nd half ... match abandoned. Brilliant. It felt so real :)

In FM17 I did a proper long LLM save with Nuneaton until about 2043. In my early days I thought it might happen again to entertain me. Got close but sadly not. It should happen, its reality for lower league clubs.

Edited by Lord Rowell

1 hour ago, Lord Rowell said:

Obviously I had no money. Pitch was terrible. Week after week the weather was awful. I watched my pitch get visibly worse and worse. I was having to play direct just to move the ball.

Then one day, we played, the rain poured down. The ball started getting stuck. In puddles, commentary reflected this. The match became a farce. It looked a farce. It looked real!

I think it was in the 2nd half ... match abandoned. Brilliant. It felt so real :)

In FM17 I did a proper long LLM save with Nuneaton until about 2043. In my early days I thought it might happen again to entertain me. Got close but sadly not. It should happen, its reality for lower league clubs.

That is brilliant! Would love it to be still a part of the game.

10 minutes ago, Snorks said:

That is brilliant! Would love it to be still a part of the game.

Just more evidence that the 3D matchday view is now less real than it's ever been

1 hour ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Just more evidence that the 3D matchday view is now less real than it's ever been

I agree that the pitches are disgraceful as a representation of real life fields , FM15 with FEZ pitches as an add-on were great . He told me a few weeks ago that getting the pitches to better look of reality was impossible with the latest instalments . Makes you wonder why ?