Sports Interactive Community

Ability                           Potential

image.png.4eb48e91b95bb91f10b3f15a2f063639.png

What's the deal with the 3 full stars VS 3.5 full stars in the potential column?

I think this means the staff cant be sure exactly how good he could be.

Theres scope for improvement but itll take determination game time and proper training to make him realise his full ability

3 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

I think this means the staff cant be sure exactly how good he could be.

Theres scope for improvement but itll take determination game time and proper training to make him realise his full ability

Thanks, and if they're scouted players? LIke.. the top one could be 3.5-5 stars?

Yes. The black stars to my knowledge mean "we don't know for sure, but maybe this". So the top player has at least 3.5 star potential but up to a maximum of 5 star.

Just now, pauly15 said:

Thanks, and if they're scouted players? LIke.. the top one could be 3.5-5 stars?

I think this is how it works yep. A real life example would be someone like a Ross Barkley.... average current ability but in the right system, the right training and guidance he could blossom.

It could be totally different but i think its how it works

I assume this screen is from scouting report because of half black star in ability so as @bar333 said black stars are uncertainty. But if you have 1,5 or 2 black stars it very likely mean that your scouting knowledge of certain player is not 100%. I d keep scouting the player till 100% and then the player should have no more than one black star (so for example the second player could end up with 3 yellow and 1 black star, 3,5 yellow and 1 black or 4 yellow and 1 black)

I've always taken it to mean not "in the right system, training etc he could be 5 stars" but that literally the scout\coach doesn't know for sure how high his potential might be. The right training, guidance, playing time, etc are always needed for a player to reach his PA at all. I think this might just be that they don't really know the PA.

Just now, pauly15 said:

Hm... this would seem to suggest otherwise?

image.thumb.png.dce539f37d080bc731477845f62ad586.png

Your questions, including the OP, are vague. What is the actual question?

Sorry- I meant... what do half filled stars mean in the potential column?

What's the difference between these two potentials?

image.thumb.png.f92560c0084c4c58edbe6d9d88169f93.png

image.thumb.png.b7d1f0476cfb652fc75695a64bb64da9.pngimage.thumb.png.170cc4f68d4e49c5721489a13647d2c7.png

The black stars, as said, will be uncertainty. The gold stars are "certain" according to the scouts opinion. This was answered higher up though?

Just now, pauly15 said:

But they both have 100% knowledge level? 

It does not matter. These are 20 and 17 year old kids. Your scout isn't certain about their ultimate potential. This will become clearer as they get older.

Just now, pauly15 said:

But they both have 100% knowledge level? 

Yes but they know all they can know.

They cant be absolutely sure of the players absolute peak ability which depends on numerous factors.

Ah, gotcha! 100% means 'as much as I'm gonna know, for the moment anyway' rather than... perfect knowledge.

1 minute ago, pauly15 said:

Ah, gotcha! 100% means 'as much as I'm gonna know, for the moment anyway' rather than... perfect knowledge.

Yes exactly that!

(All the replies weren't here when I first posted but since I already made the post....) Knowledge level doesn't make the assessment of the scout/coach infalliable though. Some of it is just a degree of random noise, often based on the staff member's ability to judge ability/potential and whatnot.

As for the difference between 3 stars and 3.5 stars, it's the same as current ability. Scout is more confident that the player with 3.5 gold stars will be a better player than the one with 3 stars.

If you consider the scale to be out of 10 (getting rid of the half points), it's like judging 6/10 vs 7/10.

Edited by alanschu14

I have just noticed something that I have not seen before. I scouted a player and he has 3.5 gold stars and 1.5 black stars of potential. 100 percent scouting knowledge. I have never seen that in FM18 so maybe its new for FM19 or maybe thats because the scout was not that good. I ll investigate and share my observations later.

I find it very realistic. If you think about it, no matter how much you scout a players, no one knows really how that player will turn out. That's because it depends on other factors beyond the scouting and the scouting knowledge. No one can guarantee if the CA will reach the PA or how close it will get.

2 hours ago, Dfs said:

I have just noticed something that I have not seen before. I scouted a player and he has 3.5 gold stars and 1.5 black stars of potential. 100 percent scouting knowledge. I have never seen that in FM18 so maybe its new for FM19 or maybe thats because the scout was not that good. I ll investigate and share my observations later.

This was in FM18 as well. Coaches will be more and more certain of what they estimate a player's potential is, the older the player is.

You can also see this in the coach reports. When they are still young (especially under 18 I find) it'll typically just say something like "Will improve a lot/little."  As the player gets older (and typically approaches their potential), coaches will now start assessing what the top league potential is for the player (i.e. "Could be a leading player in Bundesliga 2")

I tend to not look much at the potencial nor black stars, as I already got f@€& many times that way, instead I tend to look at their current ability more, example :

2 players have 4 potential ability stars, one has 3 stars of current ability and the other 2... the one with the most current ability, even if your scout gives him less “black stars” in 90% of time he will be better then the one with less current ability but more potential stars. But of course your scout judgment matters, the player personality matters, his determination matters and I’m currently finding that workrate matters a TON

OK so let's look at a 16 year old Rooney for example, when he broke into the first team we all thought he would've been 5 stars from 25-30 but he was 5 stars probably from 21-26 then would have dropped to 4 .5 stars. 

Can that happen? Can a player have a potential of 5 stars but as the game goes on, can it reduce?

53 minutes ago, SynergyIso7 said:

Can a player have a potential of 5 stars but as the game goes on, can it reduce?

Yes, because star ratings also reflect a comparison to similar players in your squad.  So it's not a player's potential which is reducing it's his potential in comparison to others which is impacted.  So compare Rooney to Lingard and Rooney may have 5 stars.  Now put Messi, Neymar and CR7 into the same squad and Rooney's stars may reduce from 5 to 4 or even lower.

19 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Yes, because star ratings also reflect a comparison to similar players in your squad.  So it's not a player's potential which is reducing it's his potential in comparison to others which is impacted.  So compare Rooney to Lingard and Rooney may have 5 stars.  Now put Messi, Neymar and CR7 into the same squad and Rooney's stars may reduce from 5 to 4 or even lower.

I see, so my players star ratings are for the squad and not the whole of football? I was wiondering why my players in the VNL had 4.5 stars...so it's in comparison to the other players?

1 hour ago, SynergyIso7 said:

I see, so my players star ratings are for the squad and not the whole of football? I was wiondering why my players in the VNL had 4.5 stars...so it's in comparison to the other players?

In part yes.  If you take one of your 4.5 star VNL players and drop him into the Barcelona squad he'll have a lot less than 4.5 stars.

4 horas atrás, SynergyIso7 disse:

yes, your scouts compare him to your squad/league/reputation

thats why i tend to look more at the current ability then potencial for youngsters

keep in mind that are various ways a player with 5 star potential becoming a flop and not developing (injuries, personality, determination, workrate)

For example: when i see a 17 year old who my scouts say he has 3 stars of Current Ability, thats a good sign that guy is going to be world class (assuming you are in top league)