The Board Reduced Player Payroll Midseason

Third year of my save and first year at Chelsea. They were in a lot of debt when I was hired and still are:

Debt.thumb.png.201dd91a642141771e1182a9ff5efab6.png

Until recently, the Player Payroll was set to $275,000,000 and there was around $60M for Transfer.  But now in the last month it's this: 

Finances.thumb.png.8359a087e1d560cf737a173aca4ee135.png

I know it's normal for clubs to reduce Transfer Revenue. But why would they short me on the player payroll? Don't recall this ever happening.  I can't resign some key players. Can't resign anyone for that matter. Would this be expected for a club with this much debt? I don't recall getting an email on this like we do when transfer revenue is reduced, unless I missed it.:(

Thanks

Pretty sure I've had this before, and if so I definitely did get an e-mail so you might have just missed it.

Best way to fix it is to finish high in the league and go far in the champions league, provided you're in it. Ignore F.A. / League cup, the money isn't good enough. Then also look at some of your top earners and see if there's anyone on a similar level who would be cheaper you could use to replace them.

Unless it's changed, Chelsea normally also have a huge number of players on their books - many of them loaned out. Have you let lots of loanees end up back at the club?  Before you declare a Chelsea squad "Black Friday" sale, it may be worth making sure everyone you don't need to cover your league and cup matches is loaned out.

Thanks for the replies. I know currently IRL Chelsea have about 60 players out on loan? Only 19 ATM on loan in my save.

Loans.thumb.png.b2fbd14c26925cab15e04b2e5cfb9729.png

15 players still on U-23's & 14 U-18's remain at the club. Been letting DOF handle contracts for all youth squad to make things go faster and for a greater challenge but I may have to handle everything from here on out. We are 1st in the table but just got bounced from FA Cup, but as zlatanera said the CL & league are most important. 

I could understand if we were out of a CL spot ATM, but many of the players, AS USUAL, are whining for improved contracts because of our success so far this season. Hazard & Alonso will only have 1 year left on their contracts after this season and I won't be able to keep them at this rate. If this is what the board wants then so be it. I fully understand the issue of the debt. The timing of the salary reduction is kind of strange.

I started a thread earlier on suggestions to make the game more challenging with top clubs. Well now I have it. 

• SI Staff

As  mentioned above, this is the board trying to prevent you from getting into financial trouble.

Players wanting new contracts is obviously independent of board financial decisions. Hazard doesn't care if you're in debt if he (/his agent) reckons he deserves better terms, whether it be at Chelsea or elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

As  mentioned above, this is the board trying to prevent you from getting into financial trouble.

Players wanting new contracts is obviously independent of board financial decisions. Hazard doesn't care if you're in debt if he (/his agent) reckons he deserves better terms, whether it be at Chelsea or elsewhere.

I understand that. However, if the finances do not change during the Summer and I'm forced to sell Hazard and/or Alonso, I do NOT want to hear that the board is "unhappy" that I sold those players and it was a "poor financial decision for the club". :mad: 

1 hour ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

I could understand if we were out of a CL spot ATM, but many of the players, AS USUAL, are whining for improved contracts because of our success so far this season. Hazard & Alonso will only have 1 year left on their contracts after this season and I won't be able to keep them at this rate. If this is what the board wants then so be it. I fully understand the issue of the debt. The timing of the salary reduction is kind of strange

You'll still have plenty of opportunity to renew their contracts at the end of the season when you get your prize money and sponsorships etc. No need to panic. :) Of course, you could be a bit less Arsenal-like and sort out your best player's contract when he has 2+ years left on his current deal to avoid having to sell him at a knock down price if he doesn't want to sign a new deal with only a year left. ;)

3 minutes ago, Amarante said:

How can Chelsea be in debt? Roman should have cleared that debt.

I've realized that SI has Chelsea as a poor club in game. 

Roman hasn't put his own cash in in a long time, has cancelled the stadium project, can't work in Britain any more and certainly appears to have lost interest. I don't think this is a particularly unrealistic scenario.

11 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Roman hasn't put his own cash in in a long time, has cancelled the stadium project, can't work in Britain any more and certainly appears to have lost interest. I don't think this is a particularly unrealistic scenario.

Because we don't need Romans cash but saying that Chelsea takes out a loan is unrealstic. Roman only wipes our debt and covers our losses. 

We make more than enough with commercial revenue+tv and prize money to do business without creative accounting or cash injection.

Also this past transfer window Roman injected 20million. 

1 hour ago, Amarante said:

How can Chelsea be in debt? Roman should have cleared that debt.

I've realized that SI has Chelsea as a poor club in game. 

45 minutes ago, Amarante said:

Because we don't need Romans cash but saying that Chelsea takes out a loan is unrealstic. Roman only wipes our debt and covers our losses. 

We make more than enough with commercial revenue+tv and prize money to do business without creative accounting or cash injection.

Also this past transfer window Roman injected 20million. 

The OP is 3 or 4 years into the future, anything could have happened in his save by then rather than some sort of SI bias against Chelsea.  He's spending $275m pa on wages - that's a lot for any club to absorb, even if they are near the top of the EPL and in the CL.  The club also have a negative $68m balance from previous seasons, which kind of follows Chelsea's real life losses before tax of £34m in 2014/15, £85m in 2015/16 and £14m in 2016/17.  In those same 3 years the club spent £217m, £224m and £221m on wages respectively, so there doesn't seem to be anything odd in the OP's save.

In FM, the owner/Chairman only tends to inject cash under certain conditions if they are defined as one of the types of Sugar Daddy.  If Roman is not defined as such, or has left the club in the OP's future, he won't be injecting much (any?) additional cash.

I checked the club details with the editor. Underwriter is listed under Sugar daddy. 

Underwriter.thumb.png.4c9cc42ca22543f6129a7899ae72d439.png

The first two years of my save I was coaching in Italy and wasn't paying attention to the EPL. I don't follow Chelsea's finances IRL. I started a NEW save as manager of Chelsea and start out with the same debt:

Debt_2018.thumb.png.dd2db8c25d36365e155334e8307e004e.png

Archived