Major screw-ups in your FM careers

What're most memorable screw-ups in your FM careers? Like signing a winger for 100M and later realize he'll break every month.

#1 of all time for me is accidentally clicking "Push Forward" instead of "Concentrate" in CL final while leading 1-0 around 85 minute, we conceded soon after that and lost 1-2 in extra time. (Fingers Contol is a very important manager attribute)

So far in FM19, it's not signing Lucas Torreira for 20M during the start of the 3rd season (I have no idea why Arsenal listed him for a half of market value). While I thought where's the catch, they increased asking price to 35.5M. ;-;

I dont normally have regrets,but i did regret not activating Courtois min release clause and sticking with Kepa at the start of the 3rd season, ended up ending the season with my backup in goals cause Kepa just couldnt keep the ball out the net, well finally bite the bullet and sold Kepa to PSG and payed 127 mil for Courtois, worth every penny thou imo.

2 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

I dont normally have regrets,but i did regret not activating Courtois min release clause and sticking with Kepa at the start of the 3rd season, ended up ending the season with my backup in goals cause Kepa just couldnt keep the ball out the net, well finally bite the bullet and sold Kepa to PSG and payed 127 mil for Courtois, worth every penny thou imo.

blasphemy! 

1 minute ago, iAlwaysWin said:

haha dont get me wrong kepa give me good service and hes actually got pretty good stats, but i just wanted the giant that is Courtois back.

TIBO is a snake and BNC. He must burn for his treachery. 

9 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Funnily enough, "AI" does the same:

kepa.thumb.png.5753ef3e850f3a26eea14c0232ed26ab.png

Playing FM08 while drunk, I accidentally mouse-wheeled my way to an option that suggested I was interested in joining Aston Villa (while managing Fiorentina; 4th in Serie A).

The board got the hump with me and since I was drunk, I quit on the spot.

It took me another 5 seasons to actually win a domestic title. 

(That was also a save that ended up with Cannes having a 79,000 capacity stadium.)

My biggest screw-up was in FM11, at the start of my fifth season with Millwall in the Championship. I had this amazing 18-year-old Danish wonderkid - Casper Christiansen - who was my most creative central midfielder, not to mention a beast at set-pieces. Obviously, I loaned him out to Maccabi Haifa, just to make a little extra money.

Surprise, surprise, it all came crashing down without Casper around. Within five months, we were down in mid-table, out of the FA Cup at the third round, and I had little choice but to resign.

All for the sake of £725,000.

Falling in to the trap of not keeping tabs on a 33-year-old CB's contract - x number of games before year extension. He was a massive earner and I was so keen to get rid of him when his contract expired at the end of the season - he had been out the side a lot as I had preferred choices ahead of him. Physical stats were plummeting and he was no longer of the required standard - error strewn in the previous campaign.

2 games left to go in the season, he's drafted in due to injuries. When the message popped in my inbox the next day I was gutted - seriously damaged my planned business in the summer as there was no way of shifting him with the money he was on...

I now make sure to keep close tabs on clauses!!

Years and years ago now (but still seared into my memory) I started a save as West Brom in the championship (FM08 maybe).

Given a £1m transfer budget I elected in my wisdom to spend all of it on a 37-year-old Henrik Larsson (the rest of my squad was already top notch but with no real forward options and come on, we all love Henrik Larsson!).

He joins. 

Is introduced at a press conference.

Takes part in exactly one training session.

Ruptures his ACL, out for 11 months.

Promptly follows medical advice and retires immediately.

Leaves me with zero budget, and a season with Ismael Miller and Luke Moore as my only options up front...

Biggest one for me was back in early FM days, can't remember which version, but it would have been mid-late 1990's. 

I was managing Inter Milan and doing very well, but decided I wanted a new challenge, so I resigned from Inter Milan and took the managerial job at a non-league English club. 

They didn't have any fixtures, they didn't have any players (all grey), and they didn't have anything at all really. The media was surprised by my choice. 

I stayed for about 3 months hoping somehow I would get fixtures, funding, anything at all, and nothing. 

I then applied for jobs at division level, Division 1 and Championship and Premier League levels, only to have clubs "laugh" at me for applying there, even though 3 months prior I was managing the most successful Italian team ever. 

Needless to say, I retired the manager, quit the game, sulked for about 2 weeks, then got up the courage to go at the game again... 

And there are times I played a bit tipsy and woke up with Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo, Augerro, Hazard, Chilleni, etc. all on the same team... no bank balance - played a few seasons and then quit as I was scoring well over 150 goals a season... 

my biggest screw up would getting my GK out due to some minor injury that i never got before and didn't know what the Phalanx was and my reserve GK (with the CA to play in 22 division due to budget going mostly to midfield and defenders :v) allowed 3 goals...in the Quarter finals of the FA cup...as a Conference team...winning 0-2 against Wolves...i never reached that far in the FA with a non league team...

I had an offer accepted and contract agreed for a young player, I think around 7mil. I cancelled it in order to go for another player instead and he turned out to be one of the best players I'd ever seen and I was never able to sign him again!

Recently on a 9 game unbeaten streak (7 wins 2 draws) in 4th with Sporting Lisbon. January comes and I transfer list Mathieu. Needless to say the squad went mental, form declined and 2 months later I was sacked. 

Archived