Will two playmakers work?

I'm playing with a slightly modified version of the Control Possession tactic with a 4 - 2 - 3-1 formation set up as:

DLF (at)

IF - EN - W

BWM - CM (Su)

WB-BPD-CD-WB

My best midfielder is a DLP or AP, but I worry that I'll end up with too little coverage in the midfield, and will be duplicating the Enganche's role. Any thoughts?

I tend not to use playmakers at all anymore in the tactics I use as using them necessitates that you build the rest of the tactic around them. I don't like being dependent on individuals as a poor performance from them can seriously hamper your game. Playing with 2 playmakers would mean having to gear the way the team plays around 2 players which can be done but begins to restrict what you can do with the other players around them in order to get the best out of them.

Having said that, I see no reason why a Deep Lying Playmaker on defend duty behind an Enganche can't work. You will still have allocated the key responsibilities in the central midfield meaning you have good cover. The DLP(D) is the holder/creator, the CM(S) is the runner and the EN(S/A) is another creator. I wouldn't use an AP though as that would throw the balance off with the problem being that the EN and AP would start to get in each other's way as they want to operate in the same space. 

All the best

I sometimes do have tactics with two playmakers in. A deep one and a more advanced one. 

DLP-Defend with an AP in the number 10 slot perhaps. With the 4231 formation, I would probably change the BWM to the playmaker as a BWM can tend to wander off chasing the ball.

On 18/11/2018 at 10:43, larnson said:

I'm playing with a slightly modified version of the Control Possession tactic with a 4 - 2 - 3-1 formation set up as:

DLF (at)

IF - EN - W

BWM - CM (Su)

WB-BPD-CD-WB

My best midfielder is a DLP or AP, but I worry that I'll end up with too little coverage in the midfield, and will be duplicating the Enganche's role. Any thoughts?

Why would a DLP or AP leave you with too little coverage in midfield?

What duty is the BWM on? Are you playing a high pressing system? What duty do you have your wide players on - both in attack and in defense?

In a 4231 those 2 CM have a lot of defensive responsibility, you could use a playmaker but are there attributes up for the defensive side? If he is then I don't see an issue.  You already have 4 attackers and two WBs, if you need another player with attacking attributes i'd question how good the attackers you already have are and if thats the best setup for them.

Thinking about this a bit more, whenever I have had two playmakers, I realise they are usually, if not always, positionally some distance apart in the formation which would reduce the Chuckle Brother syndrome.

On 18/11/2018 at 19:43, larnson said:

DLF (at)

IF - EN - W

BWM - CM (Su)

WB-BPD-CD-WB

Maybe I'm so old my fantastic math skills is failing me, but that setup is four playmakers already and your talking about adding a fifth. What role is the goalkeeper, if it's a sweeper it's a 5th playmaker.

BPD, EN, IF and DLF is roles that uses vision, so count as playmakers.

On 21/11/2018 at 13:11, luka_ said:

I'm using two playmakers since forever, one DLP/D and the other as AP/A and it worked and still works great.

FM19 hates playmakers and AI teams press them, so while it kinda works if the players is good enough to handle the pressing, playmaker setups is not really as clear cut as it used to be.

Though maybe the counter is to make everyone a playmaker, but then that is how the ops team is already.

I’d like to belatedly say thanks to everyone for their thoughts. Really appreciate it. Real life got in the way of my FMing for a bit, but I’m back on it now and this has really given me some food for thought (especially the fact that apparently I have 5 playmakers 😂.

I was interested that playmakers are apparently ineffective - I hadn’t noticed that, so I’m going to try tweaking the roles and see if it makes a significant difference.

On 21/11/2018 at 15:30, Miravlix said:

Maybe I'm so old my fantastic math skills is failing me, but that setup is four playmakers already and your talking about adding a fifth. What role is the goalkeeper, if it's a sweeper it's a 5th playmaker.

I don't think it's the Vision attribute that defines a playmaker to be fair. There's more to it than that. 

On 25/11/2018 at 08:57, larnson said:

I was interested that playmakers are apparently ineffective - I hadn’t noticed that, so I’m going to try tweaking the roles and see if it makes a significant difference.

I wouldn't go so far as saying they are ineffective, they may get pressed a bit more by the opposition, but hardly ineffective in the right set up.

On 20/11/2018 at 18:30, Miravlix said:

What? Where did you get that from? Sweeper Keepers, BPD, IFs and DLFs are not playmakers. And it has nothing to do with the fact that they use vision. Btw, all players use vision to some extent - it's part of every players' attribute tables.

Playmakers in FM are only the roles that have the word in the name of the role (DLP, AP, WP, RPM) plus Regista, Trequartista and Enganche. All these roles have special coding to attract the ball. Teammates look to pass to them more to some extent.

Archived