Sports Interactive Community
DazRTaylor

Your Most Memorable Saves

So I am just curious what you consider to be your best ever save games in FM or the previous CMs that SI made?

I have two that come to mind:

• Way back in Championship Manager Italia (1992?) I took Cremonese to the then European Cup.
  • Around 2014, I had a thirty plus season save as a journeyman across numerous leagues.  It was epic.

How about you guys?

27 ish years at Salford on FM18 before my file was lost. :( 

Had a great young team ready to take over, narrowly missed out on the PL a couple of times, got as far as the CL QFs and won both domestic cups. 

Probably my Newcastle United save on CM 01/02. Built an incredible squad. Ronaldinho captained the toon army to back to back Champions League titles and various domestic honours. 

Without a doubt Donegal Celtic on FM18 for me. Somehow I managed great success (it's still ongoing as I haven't won the Champions League yet) and have have dominated for years domestically. Was surprised as 442 took me from the lowest league to the top but then changed to box 4222 and progressed even further. A fantastic save, it is!

Cant remember exact details, was a few years ago now.

Started as the club I support, St Johnstone. Got sacked and ended up at Hearts. They were still in the Championship at this point but sat top. 

Got them promoted, and the following season took them to a 3rd place finish and a Scottish Cup victory.

Left the next season for West Brom, who sat close to the relegation zone in the EPL. Narrowly kept them in the league.

A lack of budget meant my Summer signings weren't the best, and we succumbed to relegation at the end of the season. Got sacked straight after the final game.

Next up was Crystal Palace, who'd been relegated beside me the previous season and sat in the bottom three of the Championship. Called into a board meeting around March and tendered my resignation after being questioned about my ability. 

A return to Scotland beckoned, and Aberdeen, somehow, decided to want me. They'd been lurking around mid-table and looking uninspiring, so maybe my successes at Hearts still had me in good esteem up there.

I spent around six years building them up, before finally breaking Celtics stranglehold of the league, it even came down to the final game of the season, as I remember being raging at my partner for distracting me.

Next season Tottenham approached me. They sat bottom of the EPL with one world class player, but the rest was dreadful. The keeper they had was so bad I still remember his name years later, Ron Drewett. One star rated and hes all I had from September to January.

Stumbled to January, spent big on a new keeper and started looking good. Keeper then got an injury that ruled him out for the season.

Got relegated, and the entire squad left, the only one who didn't demand a transfer was Drewett. A huge rebuild, involving young players who'd been loaned out and never been given a chance, seen us win promotion back at the first attempt. Second season had me middling about mid-table.

Aberdeen came calling again, Moyes had taken them over and ripped them team apart.

After rebuilding them again, I moved onto Chelsea, who'd struggled for trophies recently. Spent half a season there before resigning, and moving to Serie B side Udinese.

Spent three years there, getting promoted, finishing mid table, them finishing top half, before leaving them to find a new job..

St Johnstone. It was almost exactly 20 years since they'd sacked me, and I returned to find them bottom of the league. What followed was a slow progress into turning them into the dominant side in Scotland and reaching European Finals, although we never did win one.

In essence, never give up!

I had an epic save as Liverpool in FM08. Won the league every season, largely thanks to Carragher and the corner glitch. :D

FM15 was also a fun save. Starting unemployed, I began at Colomiers in France. The club wasn't good enough for the French National and I ended up sacked after declaring interest in another job. I then took Chelmsford to the National League, before moving to Oxford, where I got promoted back to League One and was doing well when Reading came knocking. I got the boys from the MadStad back into the EPL and into the Champions League. I ended the save at a tycoon owned QPR, taking them to 3 EPL and Champions League wins.

It would have to be my FM06 Braintree save. 

Having only managed big clubs, I started a challenge to give the lower leagues a go. It was a huge game changer, completely changed the way I played the game.

it was on the old school Sony PSP!!

i forget which iteration it was, but it was back when Bojan (remember him?!) was still in Barcelona.  decided to manage Sydney FC in the A-League...signed Bojan on a free as his contract was expiring! also brought in the New Zealand central midfielder Chris James as my playmaker as a free agent.  also signed young australian players on free transfers as their contracts wore down over the years.  won the A-League every season

also had a regen with 20 jumping and 20 heading! the match engine on the PSP was text only, so the match highlights would constantly be..."Cross comes in...Header by <regen>...Goal!" for EVERY cross.  that regen literally scored at least one goal every match

i had signed so many australians and my team were so dominant and the players performed so well that it got to a point where the Australian national team was EXACTLY my first team lineup except Bojan and Chris James...international weeks left me with a squad of just 13 players to name on matchdays!  :lol::lol:

ended the save when i sold Chris James to Liverpool for $45M which left me with a combined $1.3M spent on incoming transfers and $80M received in outgoing transfers after 5 years!  so many bargains from signing players running down their contracts in that save!

Some cracking saves with my brother years ago. 

One game I started at Stevenage and he went with Plymouth during the infamous corner bug days. I had a god awful left back but he managed to amass over 30 assists a season so I kept playing him. Assembled a great side signing free players released from Premier League clubs. Two strikers in particular; Jordy Brouwer and Tobias Mikaelson they were the Stevenage SAS. I went from the conference to League One. My brother didn't do much and just consolidated in the Championship until he left because the board sold his best players, to my amusement. He released a certain Ashley Barnes on a free and I proceeded to snap him up. He was a goal machine and I still remind him about this. The game petered away soon after he joined Worksop Town. We never got too many seasons under our belts because play time was sporadic and I liked to watch extended highlights of games.

FM13. Winning the champions league with Lotte. And that too,with scoring the equalizing goal on 90th min through Igor Marjanovic and then going on to win 1-3 in ET. Got a player named Jan Mayer when we were in the third division. Had him for almost 12/13 years and he was captain for almost 10 seasons. When the guy retired,my son was promoted to the Lotte youth setup as a result of loyalty shown to a retiring player. Never seen anything like that before,never seen it since

FM10 Save for Everton. I always fight with Arsenal with Cesc Fabregas and Co until last matchday

Plus in this FM was realistic regens as I remember. Was funny

And FM17, journeyman. 2 semifinals of ChL with Benfica and two loses from Olympique Marsellie which was a sugar daddy club in save

FM17. Downloaded expanded English league from workshop and started a career with South Park from 10th tier. After gaining promotion first season, I was stuck in 9th tier for several seasons before a decent cup run earned me some cash, and got the ball rolling for several consecutive promotions all the way to Conference Premier, where I almost went bankrupt. Was saved by another unreal cup run which earned me an away match against Man Utd, which despite a crushing defeat provided enough cash to save the club and then some. Went all the way to the PL, which I finally won in 2032. Then won CL in 2035. Longest and most fun save I've done.

Probably my current journeyman save in FM19. Only started playing a few years ago with FM14. Never got sacked so far, which I was quite proud of. I'm not saying I'm the best by any means, not at all. I'm not one of those guys who can take a midfield team straight to a title fight and sometimes the sack was a close call. But eventually I find a way to get decent results or make small steps forward every year.

But not this time, not this time. Took over Hoffenheim during the summer break who were predicted to finish 4th. The board was fine with just getting continental qualification, so no pressure. Well, I lasted until beginning of March with us only sitting in 14th, just above the relegation zone. My first sack in FM. I just could not get them to perform, no matter what I tried. This was easily the longest season I played because I spend so much time trying to figure things out, created many different tactics and spend hours analyzing. But I couldn't figure it out and in the end was suprised I lasted that long and it was undoubtably justified.

Well, I now moved on to Bordeaux, midtable team that wants to push for continental places, so perfect for me. First game against none other than PSG and we won 2-1 (got a bit lucky) and I instantly saw improvements. But that Hoffenheim is still doing my head in. Still baffled by it and can't stop thinking about it and why it went so wrong :lol:

I also very much enjoyed my journeyman save in FM17. Managed to take Villareal, who were in and out of continental qualification, and took them to LaLiga champions within 3 years beating the likes of Real Madrid and Barca while spending a 1/7 of their wage budgets. Really liked that team.

Still revisit this save sometimes FM2016 turned TNS into the dominant side in Europe, got to 2062 or something and the Welsh league was 9th in the rankings I think.  May dig it out tonight...