Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
ltfcstew

Tactics for the Lower-Leagues...

Recommended Posts

It seems that the large majority of the tactics discussed on here have been trialled with top-flights side who are expected to finish in the top five anyways. Read a thread earlier about a lad who had mastered a tactic as Real Madrid - well done lad! :lol:

Has anyone found particular setups to be successful with lower league sides? Can you play any tactic at any level of the game, or like IRL, do you think that the more extravagant tactics are better suited to the better sides, whilst those of us in the Conference North/South should be sticking to 442? I'm about half-way through my season in the National League South with Hitchin Town, expected to finish bottom but we're currently 12th, so doing ok. But I cannot settle on a tactic. I'll go through spells of winning 3-4 games, hardly conceeding, to then getting hit for 4 or 5 for a few games in a row. 

Any lower-league tactic advice would be much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends how low league you are talking. At the very lowest level you can use almost anything to win.

I got promoted in my first season from Vanarma North with a 424 Wing. Ran away it. Lot of goals from crosses. It actually did well the next year even though I ended up losing the first round of the playoffs after finishing sixth.

I ended up switching to a 4141 Wide for this season with mixed results this season. Team over performs again but can't beat teams that park the bus. Lots of draws against teams I should beat.

It's hard to say if it's the tactic or consistency at this point because I have been trying to develop a lot of youth this year. It seems one game everyone shows up and plays well. The next my striker(20+ goals in previous seasons) decides he doesn't want to score and proceeds to pass the ball to the other teams goalie all game.

The problem with most of the tactics I see posted on line is that they require highly skilled players. Finding a complete forward or a roaming playmaker is impossible as a lower league side. It's hard enough trying to find a decent ball playing defender.

The other problem I have found is that some players refuse to do what you tell them no matter what. Not sure if it's a hidden trait or what. I have a Central defender with the PPM's plays short simple passes and plays no through balls. Guess what he loves to do. You guessed it. Every time he gets the ball he tries to hit the striker down field.

Having said all that Knap has a ton of tactics that people are raving about. Not sure which would best for lower league. I have been going through them myself trying to find one that would work well with the players I have.

Edited by Damedius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm managing in Vanarama South too, which is the highest level I've been at for some time as I usually start at the bottom level of a level 10 or 22 edited file!

 

Very simply, given that all the teams you play are at the same level as you, any tactics can work. You just have to use trial-and-error and lots of tweaking to find which tactics work best with the players at your disposal. In FM19 I've found that these low-level teams can play Gegenpresing and Tiki-Taka successfully, but I regard that as an exploit so I restrict myself to formations I feel are realistic.

 

So, for example, if your best striker is quick with good movement, play direct and lump the ball in his general direction. My team are tipped for relegation and they are genuinely poor defensively, so I've gone for numbers in depth in a 4-2-3-1 with defensive training. I only have one okayish striker, hence one up top. If your best three players are strikers, you'd have a 3-up-top formation.

 

So basically, examine your squad and look to put square pegs into square holes as much as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No tactics with 10 different instructions. 
Play to your players strengths.  As the Professor said above, square pegs in square holes. If your best forward is a TM, play him as such.
Known the strenrths and weaknesses of your tactic. 
If your DC are poor, use a DM.
If your DC's are average use a DM.
If your DC's are strong, think about using a DM
Sign big strong players who can tackle, and jump.
Sign little Winger/FB's who can run like the wind.  If they can cross it's a bonus
Never take the word of your AM as gospel, as he is looking at the big picture of the player. You need to focus on the basics. Det, Str, WR, Brav, Acc, Pac, Sta
Your central midfield is your engine room. If it isn't humming, you tactic isn't either. Looks for players who can pass the ball and make a decision, even at the sacrifice of Acc & Pac.
Learn from your losses. Look at replays. Why did you loose.
Just keep it simple with what ever you do.

 

 

 

Edited by Taipan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a simple tactic, play with a targetman up top, make sure he gets close support and players who can leech off the balls and make sure that we who are really poor keep things simple. I just play a bog basic 4411. You really should play to your strengths and understand what you can and can't do, and you need to understand what everyone else plays. Last season everyone around us was playing the 442. We liked playing the 4231 but found that the 442 was giving us a hard time. So we switched to a 4411 because going from 4231 to 4411 is really simple.  FM19 is really simple that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm playing as Blyth Spartans and I'm mostly using this system and having some success with it. It's nothing too technical and it suits the players I have. It can change to a 4-4-2 depending on the opposition.

Blyth 4-1-2-2-1 DLP BBM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used these two 532 wingback tactics to get Borehamwood two back to back promotions from Vanarama to League One. Third season as I left them for Bolton, I was sitting just below mid table. When I started with Bolton using the same tactic, we were bottom of Championship, and I managed to win just enough games to finish 21st.

5-3-2 WB regroup counter.fmf

5-3-2 WB.fmf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managing as Lincoln in league two and using this - 

 

 

I don't even mess around with the different systems, I just use the first one and manage the team closely. Broke the 100 points mark after 31 games and ran away with the league.

Give it a whirl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2018 at 09:32, el_campeon said:

Managing as Lincoln in league two and using this - 

 

 

I don't even mess around with the different systems, I just use the first one and manage the team closely. Broke the 100 points mark after 31 games and ran away with the league.

Give it a whirl.

Wouldn't you only get 93 points after 31 games though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2018 at 16:51, ltfcstew said:

It seems that the large majority of the tactics discussed on here have been trialled with top-flights side who are expected to finish in the top five anyways. Read a thread earlier about a lad who had mastered a tactic as Real Madrid - well done lad! :lol:

Has anyone found particular setups to be successful with lower league sides? Can you play any tactic at any level of the game, or like IRL, do you think that the more extravagant tactics are better suited to the better sides, whilst those of us in the Conference North/South should be sticking to 442? I'm about half-way through my season in the National League South with Hitchin Town, expected to finish bottom but we're currently 12th, so doing ok. But I cannot settle on a tactic. I'll go through spells of winning 3-4 games, hardly conceeding, to then getting hit for 4 or 5 for a few games in a row. 

Any lower-league tactic advice would be much appreciated. 

Why are you so ignorant and arrogant towards the person asking for advice about real madrid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally find that especially in the North/South/National leagues 2 strikers is a good starting point with an AF/DLF(s) combo as hoof ball is common amongst opponents. A slightly deeper DL is also a good idea for that same reason. I myself am using a middle line of engagement to ensure that I don't press them to their own box and leave enough space for ball in behind. I use minimal shouts. Because I am using a 3-4-1-2 which requires the Wingbacks for width I use play slightly wider. And because I have a back 3 I defend wider and my press intensity is very urgent for my 'middle press'. I think I only have 2 PI set for my wingbacks as well. very simple but effective. I don't set any OI's either. I've seen 4-1-2-2-1/4-3-3 work very well on some youtuber channels in the Lowest leagues this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 08:50, djpdavey said:

I normally find that especially in the North/South/National leagues 2 strikers is a good starting point with an AF/DLF(s) combo as hoof ball is common amongst opponents. A slightly deeper DL is also a good idea for that same reason. I myself am using a middle line of engagement to ensure that I don't press them to their own box and leave enough space for ball in behind. I use minimal shouts. Because I am using a 3-4-1-2 which requires the Wingbacks for width I use play slightly wider. And because I have a back 3 I defend wider and my press intensity is very urgent for my 'middle press'. I think I only have 2 PI set for my wingbacks as well. very simple but effective. I don't set any OI's either. I've seen 4-1-2-2-1/4-3-3 work very well on some youtuber channels in the Lowest leagues this year.

Perfect - thanks DJP Davey. Much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...