Interested in Potentially Purchasing

I am interested in potentially purchasing...but once again (this year) I am reading lots of negative player reviews on steam.  I am wondering if these reviews are well founded, as most of the professional publications generally have very positive reviews for FM19.  

I realize this may not be the right place to come for an objective viewpoint, nonetheless, I would like to ask the community here for it's thoughts.  I am hoping to get some good answers, as opposed to the usual "fanboy" blather.  

Thank you for your honest and objectivity in advance.  

4 minutes ago, psucolonel said:

I am interested in potentially purchasing...but once again (this year) I am reading lots of negative player reviews on steam.  I am wondering if these reviews are well founded, as most of the professional publications generally have very positive reviews for FM19.  

I realize this may not be the right place to come for an objective viewpoint, nonetheless, I would like to ask the community here for it's thoughts.  I am hoping to get some good answers, as opposed to the usual "fanboy" blather.  

I think its well worth the purchase, I do buy every year regardless though. I do roll my eyes at the haters who want the wheel re-invented every year, you won't find too many gaming companies that listen to their audience all year round like SI do. I don't think people actually understand how difficult it is to make this game, anyways.

FM18 probably wasn't their best year, they changed a few things, brought in a few new things like dynamics ect, first year for a new aspect is never the best. This year has made vast improvements to that aspect, the introduction to new training is so much better now, tactics has improved and the 1000 other changes for the better. I don't have any real complaints this year maybe except a few interface bugs haven't been resolved but there not game enders...... Skin, screens and interface are way better, use the dark skin.

People are entitled to their opinions, but some reviews do indeed strike as just hate. When I see someone saying that opened the game, didn't saw anything new and demanded a refund, how can I objectively agree since so many things are different from the first minute of gaming? I enjoy fundamented criticism but from those - and from what I've seen - reviews are generaly very favorable.

My personal opinion is very positive and to me it's clearly the best FM edition to ever come out. Training, tactics, ball physics in the ME, social dynamics and a dozen of small details that make the experience so much better are clear pros. My only criticism is the lack of care (in absense of a better word) in my country's specific leagues (Portugal), that are really not very well done. And from what I've read, it's not just Portugal "suffering" from that. On the bright side, it's fixable.

I haven't regret for a second the money I paid for FM19.

This game is such a big game, anyone who rants about ONE THING they don;t like will never get my attention - there is so much in this game that one thing will never be big enough to riuin it for me. Even the 'Match Engine is broken' won't do it.

Best advice from me, download the Demo (for free) and play for six in-game months and see how you feel about it.

I get the game every year on my birthday (Dec 23rd!) so have 5 or six weeks tinkering in the demo - currently exploring the new tactic creator and love it. Next save will look at the training (currently left to the assistant) - these are two areas that changed since FM18. Scouting seems about the same although different UI to get used to.

Overall, I feel this version is the best improvement they've produced in years.

Whenever these types of threads appear, it is almost impossible to get an objective judgment as it attracts the polarised views of the community.

As always, the advice would be to try the free demo and make up your own mind because nobody, apart from yourself, can be the judge of how you view the game and whether it meets your expectations.

3 hours ago, psucolonel said:

I personally don't trust professional publications for a simulation game. They don't have or give the time required to explore the depth of these type of games. And it's the depth and complexity which makes these games enjoyable (for hard-core gamers anyways). The professional publications only really scratch the surface and base their verdict accordingly. For example, show me a professional review which highlighted the issues in the ME. You won't find any such review so save your time.

On the other hand, these reviews can definitely help newcomers decide whether it's worth it or not. So my advice to you would be, if you haven't played FM before, go for it, it's definitely worth it. If you are a hardcore gamer however, see the bugs forum and decide whether these bugs aren't game breaking for you. Alternatively, play the demo and judge yourself.

Honestly, just try the demo and see what you think about the game. That's the best way. I actually checked some of the steam reviews yesterday and it was laughable. Some people not recommending the game because they either lost a match or are struggling. The demo is free and then you get the best opinion about the game - your own.

I have definitely played FM in previous years...I guess I am wondering how this version compares to years in the past, and if it's the "holy grail" of sports management simulations as some are contending...but yet then in the same breath, I just find it so odd to see people trashing it up and down.  

Is there a way to download the demo on steam?  I also use a mac.

2 hours ago, psucolonel said:

I have definitely played FM in previous years...I guess I am wondering how this version compares to years in the past, and if it's the "holy grail" of sports management simulations as some are contending...but yet then in the same breath, I just find it so odd to see people trashing it up and down.  

I personally don't think it is as balanced as FM16, but that is just my opinion and a lot of people are loving it.  As others have suggested just try the demo and make up your own mind.

3 hours ago, psucolonel said:

Search on steam and it should be there among the demos

The game is still buggy. I had a save issue and lost all of yesterday's play time. (Make sure you double and triple check your save games).

Outside of that the game is fun if you enjoy simulation type games.

Having said that the game requires a lot of football knowledge. You have to have a basic understanding of tactics(Though you can just download other people's tactics) and formations. Without that knowledge you are kind of in the dark as to what is/isn't working.

12 hours ago, psucolonel said:

It's typical for FM to have some match engine issues after release and this year is no exception (mark keeper bug, sloppy defending etc). Everything will be fixed eventually in 19.2.x and 19.3.x, as usual. So you may wait for 19.3.2 and buy it with a possible discount or play now. Issues may be somewhat annoying, especially if you playing a low-profile team, but they're not critical. Personally, I think FM19 is the most quality release so far.

I played FM11 (a Little), FM13, FM16, FM17, FM18, FM19 - FM19 is easily the best of the Series so far.

I have not had a single crash since the CaC launch crash was fixed some updates ago and my PC runs FM usually for a long time each day either in the Background when i do something else or while i am playing.

There are minor cosmetical issues like some Trikot Design not 1:1 shown in the 3D Match and such stuff but that does not prevent enjoyment.

The biggest issue is probably that it is not a game you get in easy - it will take quite some Hours to make you comfortable with it and probably Days till you have an intuitive handling of it.

Look for discount Offers and it is especially worth the money!

13 hours ago, psucolonel said:

Where is a good place to get pretty objective opinions?

How could you possibly have an objective review... "i hated it but yeh you will love it"... We dont know you! 

Will i like doritos lemon and rib flavour? I used to eat crisps and the advert says they are nice.

Well, I love sports management simulations.  I have played OOTP for years, as well as Front Office Football.  I’m American, don’t know much about world football...other than basic tactics and such.  I have been dabbling with FM for years, but have never been able to get into a serious save. (partly because you cannot carry saves over from version to version)

Also, FM has been getting railed on during the past few years or so by user critics...which is why I am somewhat apprehensive...

Archived