Sports Interactive Community
marty_roberts06

Things you do on FM which you don’t think anyone else does?!

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Sky:

I rather put a youngster there. How often does your gk get injured? Maybe once a season if at all.  Just not worth it.

Playing 1.Bundesliga my First Keeper earns pa 700k, my Sub Keeper 230k, and my 3rd Keeper 35k and that is roughly 1 Million a year for 3 Keepers and when you ever encounter a Situation that your 1st and 2nd Keeper have half year injuries and you lose every game by 1 Goal bcs you have only a weak youth keeper and get into relegation you do not hesitate to have 3 at least adequate Keepers when they earn that little.

Often my 3rd Keeper is a youth Keeper of 18yrs i get for free on loan…

I enjoy the game without micro-analysing every last section of the match engine. I don't stop the game and lament how my AMC is 10cm further back than he should be. I don't cry because two players are closing down one winger, and I don't go into complete meltdown when my left back spots a long ball opportunity when I've ticked a box to say 'short passing'. 

I guess that's what I do different to everyone else. Can't see it catching on though. 

I always used to play friendlies with an A team and a B team playing each half. Now pre-season fitness is a bit different and has been for the last few I dinnit do that any more.

If anyone crosses me or annoys me or affronts me and I can fire them I will. If I can't I will dump them into the reserves to rot... ROT I SAY.

Really enjoyed watching a youth player who complained rather than waited it out have a really ***** career and retire.

Give my brightest young prospect number 13. This is to symbolise how close he is to the first team. Number 12 is for the fans.

I try to do authentic transfers in context of IRL club styles, geographic and nations 

Order my bench as:

Goalkeeper

Central defender

Full back

Defensive midfielder

Winger

Playmaker

Striker

Change around my squad numbers so any player who has a preferred number gets that number.

Commentate in my head when the game is on.

If I lose, I sometimes imagine myself giving the team talk and bollocking the players.

Player gets a red card but I'm happy with the result: A warning.

Red card and I'm disappointed with the result: A one week fine.

Red card and I'm really annoyed by the result: 2 week fine.

3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I guess that's what I do different to everyone else. Can't see it catching on though. 

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Change around my squad numbers so any player who has a preferred number gets that number.

Lmao, not sure if they changed it in FM2019, but I specifically make sure no one gets their preferred number since it seems to make no difference lmao

Just now, theonets said:

Lmao, not sure if they changed it in FM2019, but I specifically make sure no one gets their preferred number since it seems to make no difference lmao

That's the thing, I know it doesn't make any difference but I still do it.:lol:

Though I do it for myself moreso than the players. It's just satisfying if you give everyone their preferred number. If two players have the same preferred number, the more important player gets it.

2 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

That's the thing, I know it doesn't make any difference but I still do it.:lol:

Though I do it for myself moreso than the players. It's just satisfying if you give everyone their preferred number. If two players have the same preferred number, the more important player gets it.

It's also weirdly satisfying to give that keeper who wants the number 1 shirt a number 87 shirt for the lulz

if a striker scores a hat trick, and I have sub still available and it's past the 85th minute, I will sub him off so that he can get a standing ovation from the fans.

I'm quite a[censored]l about having only green circles for player's positions, so it often results in this:

pos2.png.f22f34c4520d2cd8c76e92070c067f55.png

or that:

pos1.png.d98dcae96ccbd304d752869a524a9434.png

I would be surprised if anyone gives the same attention to their goalkeepers as I do.

I'm very meticulous with them - I'm sure the majority of players will feel satisfied with what they have, but I like to test the ones I start with and pay careful attention to their strengths and weaknesses. Goalkeepers are the only position in the game that make me doubt attributes, because I feel like the position relies massively on psychology and that isn't given enough focus in the game. Not bashing the game or anything, just saying that "Bravery" and "Anticipation" don't quite cover it. On that point, those are my most sought-after attributes. Those two, coupled with a massive hit to confidence and (depending on who you ask) a concussion :D saw a perfectly competent goalkeeper crippled in the Champions League final, demonstrating how big a deal these three psychological areas can be in this position.

As I just got done explaining on another topic, I like to make sure I have one good keeper who's capable of playing every domestic fixture of the season, and if I'm in a continental competition then I have to have a second solid keeper for that too. The backup keeper is my favourite - one of my all time best careers was with Bayern Munich because Neuer and Fruchtl were an absolute pleasure to have at my disposal, and really I just played Neuer in the biggest league and CL games and often featured Fruchtl in the less important ones. Ulreich was sold at the start of save and I never looked back.

I only use quit/load for competitions that are irrelevant to my save, just because I want to see a more desired outcome and change in the game. For example if I see that there's a minnow competing for the CL in the quarters, I'll try and make sure that they reach the final or something, or if there's a team that can win their domestic league for the first time or unexpectedly, I'll try and help them out. Or sometimes I do it with the 2nd tier and promotions where I try and help historic teams come up. 

Come spring on the other hand, I try and make my games similar to real life. For example when Leicester was doing so great I always gave them a boost and let them win the league. They were usually getting relegated without my interference in that season. 

On 16/11/2018 at 19:47, RandomGuy. said:

1. Spend four hours picking a team, spend another four hours picking tactics/transfers and getting to the first friendly match.

2. Spend the whole day at my work planning things in my head.

3. Get bored of save halfway through first friendly.

4. Return to point 1

That is my routine too, apart from me not ever managing friendlies.

It's not uncommon for me to start three or four new saves every week, and even when one sticks and I finish a season, I rarely finish more than two seasons before it's back to the drawing board. I don't think I've finished five seasons since the 90's.

On 16/11/2018 at 23:00, potbellypigs said:

You could change my life here... How?

Watch the highlights without knowing the result? 

Just watch the game, set the highlight level however you wish. Unless I misunderstood your original post. Process the game as usual, pick your team, give a team talk and click 'Kick Off'.

Something else I do. Applaud poor execution when a player tries a pass that I saw and wanted him to make, I'm applauding the vision but also that it didn't quite work, though I then tend to hurl abuse too

try give my squad 1-11 traditional numbers based on my expected starters... give back ups equivalent endings... cbs 14/15 strikers 19/29

Edited by Showerman

I always give my number one goalkeeper the number 1, his backup the number 13 and the third choice number 23.

Edited by DazRTaylor

22 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

I always give my number one goalkeeper the number 1, his backup the number 13 and the third choice number 23.

So close to me. 1, 13, 25, 36.

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

Same about 13 for the keeper. Not sure why they do this IRL, has it to do with the twelve man and therefore the number 12 being the fans? I know in Spain 25 is a goalie number, I think they force keepers to have 1, 13 and 25?

Edited by Rooneye

3 horas atrás, Showerman disse:

try give my squad 1-11 traditional numbers based on my expected starters... give back ups equivalent endings... cbs 14/15 strikers 19/29

Me too, there is something magic about the nº 6 (DM), nº 8 (CM), nº 10 (AP), nº 9 (ST), nº 11 (W) etc...

Tell players to go in hard on players i personally dislike

Send the assistant to face the music after a defeat whilst taking the credit for wins

I always say im friends with the opposition manager in a calm voice when asked. Dont want the controversy

And ive been known to manage a cup final wearing an actual suit specifically for the occasion.

Refuse to use the number 13 and any multiple of it (26,39,etc). I also won't use 31 because it's 13 backwards. 

Refuse to sign any central midfielder with the "shoots from distance" trait regardless of how good they are at it. I've had so many over the years who just shoot every time they are within 30 yards of goal and it just harms the team. The number of goals they cost you is a lot more than they earn you in my opinion. 

Can pinpoint with 99% accuracy when I will lose a couple of key players to minor injuries (just long enough to rule them out of that massive key match I have coming up) and which players they will be (if someone is in hot form or your 1st choice in a position is so much better than anyone else you have then beware). It doesn't matter how many FM's there has now been, this part of the game continues to be scripted / fixed to make your life more difficult. 

On 17/11/2018 at 11:10, monkeywool said:

Give my brightest young prospect number 13. This is to symbolise how close he is to the first team. Number 12 is for the fans.

That is just completely insane, number 13 is for the backup goalkeeper, everyone knows that.

9 hours ago, Things Could Get Messi said:

Refuse to use the number 13 and any multiple of it (26,39,etc). I also won't use 31 because it's 13 backwards. 

Refuse to sign any central midfielder with the "shoots from distance" trait regardless of how good they are at it. I've had so many over the years who just shoot every time they are within 30 yards of goal and it just harms the team. The number of goals they cost you is a lot more than they earn you in my opinion. 

Can pinpoint with 99% accuracy when I will lose a couple of key players to minor injuries (just long enough to rule them out of that massive key match I have coming up) and which players they will be (if someone is in hot form or your 1st choice in a position is so much better than anyone else you have then beware). It doesn't matter how many FM's there has now been, this part of the game continues to be scripted / fixed to make your life more difficult. 

The game doesn’t know the difference between you and the AI. Injury levels are also kept lower than real life.

On 17/11/2018 at 10:10, monkeywool said:

Crazy talk, this will end in tears, you'll be walking under ladders in training next and breaking mirrors willy nilly

11 hours ago, Things Could Get Messi said:

Triskaidekaphobia

11 hours ago, Things Could Get Messi said:

It doesn't matter how many FM's there has now been, this part of the game continues to be scripted / fixed to make your life more difficult. 

I find it incredible people still believe this utter nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You're more than welcome to come and sit with me during one of my long FM sessions and I will tell you when they are about to happen. Even trying to leave a player out for a game or 2 before hand fails as they just get injured in training instead! 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Here it is, an advocate triggered by word "scripted". Even phrase is the same. Are "utter nonsense" trademark words of your people, as I seen it many times said by different people?

P.S. I don't think injuries are scripted, with the heavy rotation I can usually keep a number of injuries less than average, but some other things most likely are.

Am 16.11.2018 um 14:28 schrieb Neil Brock:

I accept reasonable offers for my players. Even if the player is really really good. If I know the player really wants to move or it'd be a good career move for them, I'll nearly always negotiate a deal to move them on. 

Makes it much more of a challenge as well having to rebuild or losing an amazing prospect say only a season after he break through. 

Thats what i always do with Everton basically, so i can never reach the top places really always 5th- 9th behind the big ones, what really bugs me a bit is i have 200 mill in the bank now, still look for bargains and sell them soon after when they break through ( no wonderkid files or anythign, i wanna PLAY the GAME ). So my account is full, but cant bother to pay bg wages or buy a player over 40 Mill.  Best thing is my stadium is to max capacity at 50.000 cant be axpanded anymore and while its 99% full always the board thinks the fanbase is to low for a new while. meanwhile huge loans cant be repaid and run into the 2060. I miss being able to build a nice office for me at least in "Anstoss 3 ":-D

2 hours ago, Xeewaj Q. said:

Here it is, an advocate triggered by word "scripted". Even phrase is the same. Are "utter nonsense" trademark words of your people, as I seen it many times said by different people?

P.S. I don't think injuries are scripted, with the heavy rotation I can usually keep a number of injuries less than average, but some other things most likely are.

None of the game is 'scripted' in the sense you're implying. 

3 hours ago, Things Could Get Messi said:

You're more than welcome to come and sit with me during one of my long FM sessions and I will tell you when they are about to happen. Even trying to leave a player out for a game or 2 before hand fails as they just get injured in training instead! 

Selective memory bias I'm afraid, nothing less, nothing more. 

9 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

None of the game is 'scripted' in the sense you're implying. 

Another guru... Are you FM developer?

Simple question: is woodwork in FM scripted? If you say "no", do you understand what's the chance to get 5+ hits (combined for both teams) in EVERY match? Do you know what real chances are? Average 10-12 hits for a team PER GODDAMN SEASON.

Edited by Xeewaj Q.

Just now, Xeewaj Q. said:

Another guru... Are you FM developer?

No, but I've listened to the developers who have confirmed several times the game is not specifically scripted. I'm more inclined to believe them over you, no offence. 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No, but I've listened to the developers who have confirmed several times the game is not specifically scripted. I'm more inclined to believe them over you, no offence. 

So it's blind belief? You see 5 woodworks and you BELIEVE it's not scripted? Ok, no more questions. No point in talking with fanatics.

6 minutes ago, Xeewaj Q. said:

So it's blind belief? You see 5 woodworks and you BELIEVE it's not scripted? Ok, no more questions. No point in talking with fanatics.

The game is not 'scripted' in this sense at all, it makes no sense to code the game in this way.

If there's too many woodwork shots then that's just a bug in the ME and doesn't favour human/ai (the ME treats AI/human exactly the same). I'd suggest reporting PKMs on the match forums if so.

Really it's silly to suggest that we intentionally screw over players with 'scripted' events like this, there'd be no benefit to us to do such a thing. Why would we want to do that? Just to annoy people? :D

I know sometimes it's easy to blame the game or 'sciptedness' when you suffer a disappointing result, but sometimes you just get unlucky. People tend to remember being screwed over more than they remember getting lucky wins. Not only do we make the game, but we're all avid fans of the series too, we'd never do something like this.

I decrease skill of Ozil and few Arsenal players, because Arsenal results much better in FM than IRL ^_^

On 18/11/2018 at 18:44, Snorks said:

Watch the highlights without knowing the result? 

Just watch the game, set the highlight level however you wish. Unless I misunderstood your original post. Process the game as usual, pick your team, give a team talk and click 'Kick Off'.

Yea, you misunderstood then. Shame.

4 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

The game is not 'scripted' in this sense at all, it makes no sense to code the game in this way.

If there's too many woodwork shots then that's just a bug in the ME and doesn't favour human/ai (the ME treats AI/human exactly the same). I'd suggest reporting PKMs on the match forums if so.

Really it's silly to suggest that we intentionally screw over players with 'scripted' events like this, there'd be no benefit to us to do such a thing. Why would we want to do that? Just to annoy people? :D

I know sometimes it's easy to blame the game or 'sciptedness' when you suffer a disappointing result, but sometimes you just get unlucky. People tend to remember being screwed over more than they remember getting lucky wins. Not only do we make the game, but we're all avid fans of the series too, we'd never do something like this.

The woodwork was a problem for YEARS. You (SI) even removed it from the match stats in FM17 (or 16?). Why? Guess we all know the answer. Give it back. It's fun. :)

Also, I never said scripted things targeting human players only. In one of the recent matches I played, the opposition hit the post twice during one-on-ones (those were more like one-on-zero and it was huge luck for my side). Though, those two unrealistic woodworks upset me much more than a realistic loss...

I don't cry 'cause of bad results, they're better than should be really (I want AI managers to do things much better). But I don't think any critic should be tackled with such aggression. If someone criticizes the game or even said s-word, forum oldtimers and sometimes even moderators (!) mock him on the verge of bullying. Is it how it should be done? New players, who got experience, say with FIFA/Manager or PES, may leave and never come back.

If someone is mistaken, correctly explain why (s)he's wrong and/or help to solve problems. If the critic is more or less valid, take it into consideration. It'll improve the game, player base and, eventually, profits.

P.S. I really appreciate an answer from SI staff. Oldfartstimers and some mods should use it as an example to learn how to talk to people.

On 19/11/2018 at 04:47, Miravlix said:

That is just completely insane, number 13 is for the backup goalkeeper, everyone knows that.

That's 25. I like my squad to be bookended by keepers. In fact, subconciously I think I have my second string side go from 25-15 in position order. I'll have to check that, but I just realised that feels like what I do as from memory my defenders have generally 20s and my midfielders have teens. 

I use the cutout faces megapack, and I do not sign or even bother looking at any player that does not have a pic. I just can't. As far as I'm concerned they don't exist in the DB. It leads to a lot of 'Discard' clicks in the scouting centre when managing a lower league team. 

It might have to change if I ever manage in the really low leagues I guess. But it's a pet peeve that I can't get rid of atm.

Another one but this one is probably a lot more common - I'll often give a player a slightly higher wage just so the number is "round". It has to be in increments of 5.

I always put my mouse cursor in the exact same spot during games and only move it when making a sub or tactical change (this position varies in different FMs depending on where I feel appropriate during my first match

On my bench, i always have players in the same order (GK, FB, CB, DM, AM, W, ST) and the FB is always a left sided full back as I consider it more vital to have a left footer on the bench as I can fill in a right back with others if needed :) 

And I always try to keep legends around as long as possible, preferably until they retire, regardless of playing time given, if they are happy to be around, i'll keep offering them new contracts ... if however they do want to leave for first team football I will generally sell them for nothing as I don't want a fee for them as i dont want it to put teams off and they owe me nothing.  It's a respect thing haha! 

There is definitely others but I can't think of any right now.  

I always use the in-game editor to ruin MK Dons. Force the release of anyone good, make them bankrupt, keep lowering the fitness of their remaining squad. Not satisfied until they are below the National League South at least. I'm not even a Wimbledon fan, just something I've always done

On 14/11/2018 at 20:21, dannysheard said:

"Interview" myself as manager on the way to/from work every day.

Thank god somebody else does this! I drive home from work talking to myself about how players are doing, how recent games are going, what team I'm gonna play in my next match etc. An 18 year old newgen got his chance in the first team after me talking about him on my drive home.

If I'm undecided on whether to keep a player or not, I take a photo of their stats to look at through the day and weigh up their pros/cons (e.g. this striker has good composure, but average finishing) and decide if I'll keep them. I do this with promising young players too, like a 19 year old keeper I decided to make my first choice based on his stats.

Squad numbers are very important too, with 1-11 being my first choice XI, 2nd & 3rd choice keepers 13 & 30 and only 30 players get a squad number every year - a few may get added on through the season if needed for injuries or to give youngsters a chance.

Always tell young players who want a better contract after a good game to sack their agent. Works 90% of the time :)