Things you do on FM which you don’t think anyone else does?!

3 minutes ago, Chad Beaulieu said:

But this is my favorite: When a player complains about not getting enough first team playing time, I let him know I will let him go at the end of the season and then immediately following the conversation release him on a free no matter the cost

But why? It's hardly a punishment.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limit annual wage rises to 5%, almost no exceptions.

Top priority given to developing youth recruitment, junior coaching etc - even if big club with spending power e.g. PSG.

I never have "key players", and I reduce "first team players" to rotation at first opportunity if their form is below par.

Used to always do Man Utd as first save going right back to the 1990s (this is first time I haven't - btw I'm not a Utd supporter)

90% of time I'm "calm" in press conferences, player conversations, and team talks - I save "aggressive" for 'special occasions'! :D

Always dodge mind-games, I just can't be bothered with them, I deal with that nonsense enough in my real job

Even being an Arsenal fan, I used to start most of my careers at Manchester United. This was back in the CM3 era, when I was about 9-11. I wasn't very good at the game back then, so I'd always mess up at United and end up bouncing around loads of lower-league clubs. :D

I also had a CM99/00 save where I had a manager at every club in MLS (12). That was quite fun... for a season. It would be impossible to do now.

On 14/11/2018 at 17:22, RedToaster5 said:

Make tactical gestures to my screen while not changing anything, but still getting annoyed when the players don't follow them.

also known as playing FM on "dog mode"

(not to be confused with playing "doggy style")

43 minutes ago, Xeewaj Q. said:

But why? It's hardly a punishment.

Its not about the punishment, its about the surprise.

I manage mostly in LLM type clubs in custom databases, where players are on $200-500 a month so to complain about playing time gets my goat.

Its about surprising them with a sudden release to teach them a lesson. Not sure if it has an impact on the remainder of the squad or not, but once done rarely will another player come forward to complain as well.

Don't do any training, press conferences or any of the team talk stuff. Just tactics and transfers. Don't use the shouts and very rarely change formation during a game. That's if I even watch the game, I usually use the instant result, unless it's an important game.

I would really like the feature where I could watch the match highlights without knowing the result, but that's a different thing altogether.

On 14/11/2018 at 12:53, marty_roberts06 said:

Hi 

just wondering has anyone got any habits on FM that they do which is either strange or slightly annoying which they don’t think anyone else will do 😂 

for example I go on holiday every day between games. To save myself pressing space, is this totally norm?

also 

always give players one warning if they get 6.0 rating followed by a 1/2 week fine if it happens again. Is this really harsh? 

And how does everyone play their match engine? 2d classic, no replays, key events only, everything turned to the highest for me....

The players has no "memory" so he doesn't know you fined him incrementally. You have to learn the appropriate response to a behavior and not think about what they did before or you risk upsetting them.

The only variation in discipline is because of player mentality, some players you can fine 2 weeks wage for 6.3 performance, but the game considers a warning the only safe/correct response, if you want the optimal reaction.

I don't think it's possible for a player to get a direct red card, without it being my fault, because I failed to handle pressure and motivation correctly in press conference and team talks. Apparently that is a "strange" because I usually get personally attacked when mentioning it around here.

I do not sign Loanplayers at the end of their contract for no transfer fee when they are on loan in my Team - in Germany a loanplayer must have a contract running at least one more year than the loan contract (making some Players loaned out do a contract length incirease first to be able to go out on loan) and while it is not a cheat i consider it sort of an exploit and do not do it.

On 14/11/2018 at 16:02, phnompenhandy said:

ah ha, what I'm doing right now - no one has ever done this:

So I've put my old college into Vanarama South as an amateur club (they have a real team playing at level 11) - I was teaching and studying there over 20 years ago and now I live on the other side of the world.

So from Twitter I found team sheets and used the editor to give my starting squad the real players' names. Then I went to the college website and found a list of all the mickey-mouse degree courses they offer. I've matched up the players and staff with the degrees and have built it into the narrative of my career which I'm posting in the FM Career Updates forum.

This is absolutely brilliant. Congrats. I hope have success in bring them to champions league.

41 minutes ago, grade said:

This is absolutely brilliant. Congrats. I hope have success in bring them to champions league.

Ha, not possible. They have PAs lower than most of their Vanarama South rivals. If we ever do get a promotion, it'll be with academy intake youths. When they turn 18, I'll report on their A-level results and freshman degree courses :p

I cant ever look at an opposition players profile while a match is in progress as they'll score a goal against me (it happened half a dozen times several years ago. obviously by complete coincidence. but I cant take the risk ever again)

I hate offering players wages that aren't rounded down to the nearest number ending in 0 or 5

never allocated the number 13 shirt 

i'll never sign a keeper who has under 15 for aerial ability, no matter how good his other stats may look

• Administrators

I accept reasonable offers for my players. Even if the player is really really good. If I know the player really wants to move or it'd be a good career move for them, I'll nearly always negotiate a deal to move them on. 

Makes it much more of a challenge as well having to rebuild or losing an amazing prospect say only a season after he break through. 

10 hours ago, Miravlix said:

I don't think it's possible for a player to get a direct red card, without it being my fault, because I failed to handle pressure and motivation correctly in press conference and team talks. Apparently that is a "strange" because I usually get personally attacked when mentioning it around here.

So you've never had a guy go from "calm" to hacking a guy down with two feet from behind 5 minutes later, even though the victim was heading away from goal with no passing options? 

8 hours ago, Etebaer said:

I do not sign Loanplayers at the end of their contract for no transfer fee when they are on loan in my Team - in Germany a loanplayer must have a contract running at least one more year than the loan contract (making some Players loaned out do a contract length incirease first to be able to go out on loan) and while it is not a cheat i consider it sort of an exploit and do not do it.

Did not know that. Might be something I do now if I have a German save. Do you know if a German club were to loan a foreign player in / loan out a player to a foreign club if the rule would still apply?

Am 14.11.2018 um 12:53 schrieb marty_roberts06:

Hi 

just wondering has anyone got any habits on FM that they do which is either strange or slightly annoying which they don’t think anyone else will do 😂 

for example I go on holiday every day between games. To save myself pressing space, is this totally norm?

also 

always give players one warning if they get 6.0 rating followed by a 1/2 week fine if it happens again. Is this really harsh? 

And how does everyone play their match engine? 2d classic, no replays, key events only, everything turned to the highest for me....

Do you know that there is an option in the preferences where you don´t have to press save but it continusly just runs till you have to react to soemthing important So mostly form Match to match. Can´t remeber right know what it is called. But it got something to do with continuesly loading. If you search the forums and threads for making the game faster someone normally suggests it there.

I cheat. I don't let any injuries to be longer than 4 weeks. For example, if any of my players get injured 6 months, I wait 4 weeks and then remove injury with editor. But to play fair, I then go to injury stats for whole league, and remove long term injuries for all teams in the league and for some important wonderkids from other leagues. For example, I always remove Marco Reus injury if I play Bundesliga even I know he will destroy me when I play against them.

I started doing this I think in FM 2012. I played one save just to buy Alexandre Pato. When I finally did that, he got injured for 8 months I think very next day. My save was ruined

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

I accept reasonable offers for my players. Even if the player is really really good. If I know the player really wants to move or it'd be a good career move for them, I'll nearly always negotiate a deal to move them on. 

Makes it much more of a challenge as well having to rebuild or losing an amazing prospect say only a season after he break through. 

If I let a young prospect go, its never a happy time for me and I spend the rest of that save obsessively trying to but them back. 

I'll try and snipe an opponent's top goal scorer / top assists before playing them -- if it's a big / "must win" sort of game.  Offer a tempting contract, and hope they take the bait.... ideally with not enough time for them to sign a quality replacement,  You can only employ this dirty tactic against teams that primarily employ cheap-ish non-contract players.  After the game, they'll either stay on my squad, or I send 'em packing.  Typically the latter.  It doesn't work that often but I've beaten every team I've done this against when it does (for that particular match anyway).

vor 4 Stunden schrieb zlatanera:

Did not know that. Might be something I do now if I have a German save. Do you know if a German club were to loan a foreign player in / loan out a player to a foreign club if the rule would still apply?

Thats an interesting Question.

In §5-2 of the "Lizenordnung Spieler" it is said a Player can only be loaned out if he still is under contract when the loan ends.

I think the rule applies to german Clubs who loan out Players to other Clubs (national and foreign)  and from the wording it seem does not apply to Clubs who do loan Players from others as they seem to have no obligation in this text.

Do as you like ;)

vor 34 Minuten schrieb phnompenhandy:

Does anyone NOT do that?

I allways have a Sub GK - in FM18 i got 3 Players playing the GK Position injured in a single match...a Sub GK is usually very cheap on contract also and the other 6 places for Subs cover all i need.

My minimum attributes for DETERMINATION, TEAMWORK and WORK RATE has to be at least 10 for any player I buy (or keep). I have been this way every version since I started in the 90s. I don't know why either. It freaks me out and jumps off the screen if any of my players are 9 or less for any of those.

50 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

I allways have a Sub GK - in FM18 i got 3 Players playing the GK Position injured in a single match...a Sub GK is usually very cheap on contract also and the other 6 places for Subs cover all i need.

I rather put a youngster there. How often does your gk get injured? Maybe once a season if at all.  Just not worth it.

I like playing in the lower leagues - I get bored when I go higher up.  So whenever a player ones to me whinging or crying, I immediately transfer list them and dump them in the under 23’s or under 19’s if we don’t have the under 23’s.  Then I refuse to speak to them again.  If the squad then moan, if I don’t resolve it, they follow suit into the stiffs.

I give my managers a distinct personality, which affects how they handle the interaction side of things. Makes it a little spicy. Currently I am being a nice guy, so I will always listen to players if they are being reasonable (even if it is not the ideal choice in a conversation), always be calm, try not to shout in team talks. 

Sometimes I do the opposite. I am hot headed. I escalate with players, with managers. I keep tabs on people who have crossed me in the game so I can gloat over them or avoid signing them.

I will sometimes do a fake press conference or two if I want to do a bit of role play.

3 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

That is epic.  :D

I love it. It actually makes me look forward to press conferences at times. Especially if a manager annoys me somehow, and is going to get sacked. So I can tell him he deserves it for being rubbish. Oh and storming out or press conferences is fun when you are a tantrum manager.

Spend hours without advancing the first day on a new save, searching for new coaches to replace the entire staff in both main team, reserves and youngsters, manually checking stats and setting up individual training to every single player including again the youngsters, setting up set pieces tactics for every situation in every of my 3 choosen tactics (meaning, defense and attack positioning in every instance (direct freekick, indirect, corners, yadda yadda for EACH tactic)) and only advance the first day after some 6 hours of playing...

9 hours ago, zlatanera said:

So you've never had a guy go from "calm" to hacking a guy down with two feet from behind 5 minutes later, even though the victim was heading away from goal with no passing options? 

It can happen early in a new club, team talk is a black art that SI has designed so you need to fail before you get feedback on it, so yeah it happens, but it's still my mistake in motivating/pressuring the player, even if I have no way to knowing I did it wrong, until it went wrong, but after you get clued in, like knowing when to pump some energy into the team and when the team is already motivated, then I NEVER get direct red cards. Not had a single double yellow card either this third season and I do like aggressive players. like Rüben Dias (18 Agg), agg is a super stat if you channel it  into the positive effect it can have.

3 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

It can happen early in a new club, team talk is a black art that SI has designed so you need to fail before you get feedback on it, so yeah it happens, but it's still my mistake in motivating/pressuring the player, even if I have no way to knowing I did it wrong, until it went wrong, but after you get clued in, like knowing when to pump some energy into the team and when the team is already motivated, then I NEVER get direct red cards. Not had a single double yellow card either this third season and I do like aggressive players. like Rüben Dias (18 Agg), agg is a super stat if you channel it  into the positive effect it can have.

That's what's weird to me - you mention Aggression as if it had some impact yet my only Red Card in my most recent season was by a guy who has 7 Aggression and, as previously mentioned, had body language "Calm". I feel like in those cases there's nothing you can do

5 hours ago, Etebaer said:

I can only recall one single instance in the last 3 or 4 years that I lost a goalkeeper in a match, and that was towards the end of the game. They get injured in training commonly enough but in-game they never get a red card and almost never get injured. Therefore, I fill up my (5) sub slots with outfielders.

22 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I can only recall one single instance in the last 3 or 4 years that I lost a goalkeeper in a match, and that was towards the end of the game. They get injured in training commonly enough but in-game they never get a red card and almost never get injured. Therefore, I fill up my (5) sub slots with outfielders.

I stopped years ago until I had a bad sequence involving keepers, in a match No.1 got injured, next match No.2 got a red and No.3 then got injured in same match, so now first name on subs bench in GK.

I rotate my full-backs religiously - I have an A pair and a B pair. Ever since my FM18 Lyon save where they had the pre-arranged transfer of Leo Dubois I've taken to having 5 in the squad instead of 4 where possible. 2 Right Backs, 2 Left Backs, all of whom are one Rotation contracts and one who's either natural on both sides or natural on one, accomplished on the other and two-footed who is on a Backup contract. The Backup is always S2 on the bench, never starts games, whilst the others will never be in a two match squads in a row but always rotate.

Archived