Things you do on FM which you don’t think anyone else does?!

Hi 

just wondering has anyone got any habits on FM that they do which is either strange or slightly annoying which they don’t think anyone else will do 😂 

for example I go on holiday every day between games. To save myself pressing space, is this totally norm?

also 

always give players one warning if they get 6.0 rating followed by a 1/2 week fine if it happens again. Is this really harsh? 

And how does everyone play their match engine? 2d classic, no replays, key events only, everything turned to the highest for me....

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, looknohands said:

I use all 3 subs at the 60 minute mark of each game (assuming no one is injured before then.)

I also never change formations or bother with shouts, opponent instructions, etc.

I did the first on [other management game] and the second all the time on FM17. 

On 17 my weirdest thing was going through the inbox, scouting, youth squad and a few profiles every single time skip.

On 19 there is little but prolonged squeeing at how smooth and fine the game runs. Maybe ignoring the first transfer window unless I get absolutely mad offers. Or maybe being hyperfocussed on mental stats first for my first team with only pacy wingers or composed strikers exempt. 

Common to both games is managing both the first and second team if they are in an active league with a dummy manager. I'm pretty hands on when it comes to how my youth should develop!

I'm also giving players their chances if they deserve it, whatever the attributes say. I'm also too much of a softie to get confrontational; my squad probably thinks I'm a big pushover cause unless something unaccepting is set I accept most contract demands or concerns at the slightest pushback. 

i watch every game (even friendlies) in full rather than highlights, albeit at 1.1x speed

whatever team i manage, if they have a rival , i never transfer a player from the rival no matter how good they are or how available they are

my first steps at any club are to try and hire former players from the club as staff

as much as possible, use all substitutions before the 75min mark so every sub has at least a good 15min to make an impact

always sub off anyone who gets even a minor injury (although will try and wait until halftime if possible)

100% rotation every second game during congested 2-game weeks, that way the same lineup plays together every time

always look for cheap youngsters with great potential instead of huge fees for experienced players despite my real life frustration at Arsene Wenger doing exactly that 🤣

spend little or nothing and just use developing youngsters if i already have them

only manage clubs if in real life they are under-performing and i believe i can rationalise their manager being replaced...so...Arsenal every year 🤣 ...except this year...Emery wouldn't be fired after just getting hired

Extending contracts with players who train well or who never complaining about anything. They might not have the stats/quality for the team, but at least they put in the effort and I reward them for that.
I try everything I can to make sure legends of the club retire here. Doesn't matter how bad they become towards the end. I just like giving them a good farewell.
Signing many players with 'Professional' mentality. I really hate complaining players or players who don't show any discipline.

In general, I tend to develop relationships with my players, even though they are just numbers within a simulation :p

I criticize or praise player performance after every official game.

Every 5 games I do the same for form.

Every two weeks I do the same for training performance.

Every month I comment on form/development for players out on loan.

This is borderline exploitative, after 6 months I'm close or very close with all players at the club.

ah ha, what I'm doing right now - no one has ever done this:

So I've put my old college into Vanarama South as an amateur club (they have a real team playing at level 11) - I was teaching and studying there over 20 years ago and now I live on the other side of the world.

So from Twitter I found team sheets and used the editor to give my starting squad the real players' names. Then I went to the college website and found a list of all the mickey-mouse degree courses they offer. I've matched up the players and staff with the degrees and have built it into the narrative of my career which I'm posting in the FM Career Updates forum.

I try my best to sign the same assistant manager each time and take them with me no matter where I go on a save game. I am then likely to take offence if when I leave a club, they don't follow me out. I feel degraded when they don't .

I also spend a few hours trialing as many of the free newgens at the start of the game - It's looking good this save, as a few are in my U23's now, and may well get cup time. - I took 75 on trial and kept 40 of them. 

I warn for a 6.3-6.0, Fine below that. This applies to all squads and all matches - I'll not be keeping the defender who scratched his head after getting a 6.1 after coming on as a sub, and giving 2 penalties away, and was shocked to be warned.

I've not yet worked out the correct ratings to do this in training - Only the 9.50-10's get praised ATM.

Straight Red is a fine.

Second Yellow is a warning first, then fines each time after.

As a spurs fan, I will not recruit staff\players who have history at a rival team - That applies to - Phyisio\Coach\Scout even. I will pick as many negative press answers as i can - Wenger has gone to PSG in my current save and likes me - I'm desperately trying to break that and reverse it....

The last one is probably a little bit over the top....

Oh, and I build a list of disliked managers who criticize me - Wayne Rooney went on it once on one of my longest saves (Homegrown intake challenge) - He criticized me for having a homegrown squad...

I've started a 4-monthly cycle of training praise to give my players a Work Rate boost.

Month 1: Praise everyone above 7.5, criticise below 6.5

Month 2: Repeat

Month 3: Repeat

Month 4: Nothing - if you praise them four times in a row they get angry with you.

Month 5: Month 1

On FM16/17 in my longer term saves I made lists of youth intake dates, and manually went through looking for the clubs in all divisions in the nations I was scouting, noting down the ones with good youth setups (usually just looked at youth recruitment), then on the aforementioned intake dates I would go through the transfers screen, select "youth intake" and scout every single player brought in my the clubs in the list. So for my Tromsø save this meant all the best youth setups in Scandinavia, Iceland and Czech Republic (because I got a bunch of good youth from there so I kept going back for more). On my Lyon save I went further though - as well as clubs from active leagues in France, I also scouted the youth intakes in every single former colonial possession. 

Also, I didn't discover how to highlight more than one player to scout until I was nearly done with the FM17 save, so that's about 20 seasons of manually clicking on each player, clicking "Scout" then going back and doing another. A lot of time, hence I don't do it any more.

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

Also, I didn't discover how to highlight more than one player to scout until I was nearly done with the FM17 save, so that's about 20 seasons of manually clicking on each player, clicking "Scout" then going back and doing another. A lot of time, hence I don't do it any more.

You are not alone!

When I saw this option on a stream I was completely speechless, banged my head on the wall, and then celebrated this new knowledge by sending my entire scouting staff on a few long, long vacations around the world. 

I like to play certain players in league matches only to help them win top goalscorer or golden glove, for example if martial goes on a nice run in the league i will stop playing him in cup games and save him for the league so he can win the award. 

I always sort the substitutes in what I perceive to be the correct order before every match. Central defenders first (lowest number), then full backs, def mids, mids, att mids, wingers and strikers. GK always have the highest available number. This is a total pain in the *ss in Serie A, with 12 players on the bench :-P

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Once I choose what my first 11 is a always try my best to assign shirt numbers 1-11

I not only try to do this, I also spend far too long making sure the rest of the squad have sensible numbers!

1 hour ago, killerkoala said:

I always sort the substitutes in what I perceive to be the correct order before every match. Central defenders first (lowest number), then full backs, def mids, mids, att mids, wingers and strikers. GK always have the highest available number. This is a total pain in the *ss in Serie A, with 12 players on the bench :-P

Me and most people I know who play do this, although typically I have GK as #1(if I have one at all on the bench) as it makes more sense, since your starting from one side of the pitch to the other.

Back in the days of Champ Man before Football Manager was a thing me and a friend would always put on "inspirational music" for our players during matches, things like, Journey Don't Stop Believing, Push it to the Limit, Eye Of the Tiger etc Was great fun for setting the mood in big knockout matches. Let me tell you in 01/02 Samuel Eto'o damn well loved Van Halen Jump, any time I was 1 down and needed a goal I would turn it on and he would score. Don't really do it much anymore unless its in a big match in a multiplier game with mates round.

Striker through on goal in a one-on-one situation.  Shouts at screen "this time surely!!!"  Striker who has a ppm of "likes to round keeper" and has never, ever done it, then hits the keeper or puts it past the post. Shouts of " Oh for goodness sake! " or words like that:(  Wife then asks who am I shouting at!

13 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Striker through on goal in a one-on-one situation.  Shouts at screen "this time surely!!!"  Striker who has a ppm of "likes to round keeper" and has never, ever done it, then hits the keeper or puts it past the post. Shouts of " Oh for goodness sake! " or words like that:(  Wife then asks who am I shouting at!

Your definitely not the only one who does that. The abuse I hurl at my monitor it's ridiculous though probably better my players can't hear me, I do it a lot as  if I'm at the game and your in the stand and you can see the obvious pass or a FB starting a run and your player passing in the opposite direction, I tend to look away with 1-1s and wait for the inevitable corner/goalkick.

With squad numbers I go one of two ways. Either I stick with the original ones, and try to give any new signings their real life numbers as well. Or I go 1-11, in Argentina I even do it in their format of 4-2-6-3 in defence as opposed to the English 2-5-6-3. I then also number the rest of the squad for their positions too, for example if I was doing it the English style then my backup RB would be 12, backup ST 19 etc. and then give backup GK 25 because of the Spanish system. 

Oh, and if I'm managing in Italy I like to do the thing where players get their birth year as a number (although this dies out a few years into the game for obvious reasons).

I'll happily pick any defenders with poor Tackling attribute into my team as long as their other important attributes for defending are good enough. Great defenders won't even need to rely on tackles too much, in my opinion.

I prefer to recruit any female staffs or staffs from relatively minor countries in footballing terms that available in the game, but only if their quality for the role was fairly decent enough to be in my current club's level.

I always try to assign a pretty strict wage tiers for my team, even if it eventually cost me my job. Two levels for Backup, Rotation, First Team and Key players.

I ALWAYS refuse to include yearly wage rise clause on my players contract, no matter what.

Generally avoid buying proven and top quality player and chose to look for rejects in the transfer windows instead. I actually managed to get myself an excellent late bloomer this way in current FM :cool:

If I want to employ a tactic that calls for the use of pacey forwards then I always favor Balance over the other goal scoring related attributes like Finishing and Composure. This approach rarely ever fails me.

16 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

ah ha, what I'm doing right now - no one has ever done this:

So I've put my old college into Vanarama South as an amateur club (they have a real team playing at level 11) - I was teaching and studying there over 20 years ago and now I live on the other side of the world.

So from Twitter I found team sheets and used the editor to give my starting squad the real players' names. Then I went to the college website and found a list of all the mickey-mouse degree courses they offer. I've matched up the players and staff with the degrees and have built it into the narrative of my career which I'm posting in the FM Career Updates forum.

NERD ALERT!!!!

13 minutes ago, Muerte706 said:

I try to hire at least a women as physio in my team. Preferably Swantje Thomsen from BvB.:thup:

Do you not find when you do this you get an increased number of groin & loin injuries from players?

'There has been an 75% increase in injuries compared to what we would expect to see at this point in the season'

On 14/11/2018 at 11:53, marty_roberts06 said:

Hi 

just wondering has anyone got any habits on FM that they do which is either strange or slightly annoying which they don’t think anyone else will do 😂 

for example I go on holiday every day between games. To save myself pressing space, is this totally norm?

also 

always give players one warning if they get 6.0 rating followed by a 1/2 week fine if it happens again. Is this really harsh? 

And how does everyone play their match engine? 2d classic, no replays, key events only, everything turned to the highest for me....

I do exactly the same hate waiting between games so I holiday. Annoys me when you come back and someone’s unhappy because of no first term football and then the squad start moaning.

Only warn people if they play below six a fine if it’s below five and a two week fine if it’s below 4. Also 2d classic no reply’s and key events.

Iv played like that for years I find it easier to see what my team doing using the 2d veiw. 

On 14/11/2018 at 11:53, marty_roberts06 said:

And how does everyone play their match engine?

missed that part when originally replied, and i'm a bit of a pedant with this.

3d comprehensive sideline cam, in match zoom first all the way left second all the way right, speed during highlights 3 clicks right of centre, 4 clicks is a touch too fast for me, ideally I want 3.5 clicks:rolleyes:, and full speed no highlights and if something catches my eye, I will click back and watch it several times, sometimes for tactical reasons and sometimes because it makes me laugh or maybe a bug, some matches take a long time. Replays TV cam normal speed.

I think of making a tactical change in the 80th minute while leading, don't make it, and then concede.

I make a tactical change in the 60th minute, equalise, then don't switch back to a more defensive shape and concede.

If I'm trailing 1-0, in the 80th minute, I go three strikers with two wingers.... and either get two quick goals, or lose 4-0 

Still playing FM 12, its top quality....

Contracts: Rarely give players an automatic wage increase, never give the 'match highest wage' clause, always include season goal scoring bonus for strikers (normally its 20 goals minimum), always ask for friendly in transfer clause when high profile teams come knocking for talent.

No player can wear the #13

Sign as many players to my team with same nationality as the league I am in

But this is my favorite: When a player complains about not getting enough first team playing time, I let him know I will let him go at the end of the season and then immediately following the conversation release him on a free no matter the cost

Archived