Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

12 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

This aint too bad at that price point and its one good looking bit of kit, the bezels are literally non existent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083WXVJ13/ref=asc_df_B083WXVJ131594771200000/?tag=pjuk-amazon.co.uk-21&creative=22374&creativeASIN=B083WXVJ13&linkCode=df0&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

No, no no! That's a last-gen Ryzen which were poor compared to contemporary Intel processors and well behind the current ones. Four that money you should be able to get a decent current gen i5 laptop which would be much better, except perhaps on the integrated graphics. I haven't seen any 4000 series Ryzen laptops around £550 yet but they can't be far off and and much superior to last gen, beating Intel this time.  

6 minutes ago, I.jamz said:

How does this one look for me guys? How do you feel about the integrated card on it? Is there anything on the spec that might be a problem? Is it new or refurbished?

https://www.box.co.uk/M509DA-BQ321T-ASUS-M509DA-BQ321T_2886177.html#DetailTop

Looks decent at that price point. No graphics card (dedicated) - but should be fine for FM on low-medium detail levels.

Posted (edited)

How can you tell if laptops are new or refurbed at Box? The 3D match is quite a big thing for me. Can I do better than this laptop for the £550 price range

Edited by I.jamz

1 hour ago, I.jamz said:

How can you tell if laptops are new or refurbed at Box? The 3D match is quite a big thing for me. Can I do better than this laptop for the £550 price range

It says it on the site.

No you probably cannot.

Thank you to everyone for all of the help. I have ordered it. Look after yourselves!

4 hours ago, Gangor said:

No, no no! That's a last-gen Ryzen which were poor compared to contemporary Intel processors and well behind the current ones. Four that money you should be able to get a decent current gen i5 laptop which would be much better, except perhaps on the integrated graphics. I haven't seen any 4000 series Ryzen laptops around £550 yet but they can't be far off and and much superior to last gen, beating Intel this time.  

I mean yeah but he couldn't budge on price so I thought i'd suggest something that looks super premium.  Anyway you know me Gangor i'm an Intel man, the issue is that between 500 and 650 is that grey area where you're not gonna get much in that price range

On 09/07/2020 at 16:53, Gangor said:

i5 and i7 are just branding. The important information is the age of the processor (more recent ones are more efficient and faster overall), core and thread count (more is better) and then frequency. Laptop i7's used to  be 2 core/4 thread but now you'll find i5's which are 6 core/12 thread and would therefore be much faster.

6th Gen is 4 years old at this point so would be far slower than a more modern CPU.

Are you set on an Apple or would a Windows or Linux PC be in consideration?

Thanks for the reply @Gangor (and @Smurf).

I suppose it wouldn't have to be Apple it's just what I'm comfortable with. I don't want to be involved in building a PC or anything like that, I want it to be as hassle-free as possible and I like that I can just pick up the iMac, plug it in and off you go. 

I am wanting to be able to stream football manager and I've just watched some videos which all strongly suggest that PC will outperform Apple while streaming, so I'm more open to switching now haha.

Could you recommend a PC that's capable of all that - I'm aware that FM + streaming/video editing requires a pretty good computer. Budget is <$3.5k AUD. If I can pay closer to $2k would definitely prefer that :)

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Hi

I am looking for a new laptop to play FM. My budget is £600 i would like to play at least 4 leagues i only use 2d counters for match. I just want something that can get through a season at a decent speed.

I posted on here a while ago and everyone was really helpful but the laptop i found then fell through so I'm just hoping i can find some more help.

I have seen people post this on on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1001na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877L4KMD?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-gb-1916831990227079400-21&th=1

Is the general consensus this is the best i can get for my price range

Any advice would be helpful. Sorry to be a pain

Thank you 

Edited by Paddy2201
New information

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jeaku14 said:

Thanks for the reply @Gangor (and @Smurf).

I suppose it wouldn't have to be Apple it's just what I'm comfortable with. I don't want to be involved in building a PC or anything like that, I want it to be as hassle-free as possible and I like that I can just pick up the iMac, plug it in and off you go. 

I am wanting to be able to stream football manager and I've just watched some videos which all strongly suggest that PC will outperform Apple while streaming, so I'm more open to switching now haha.

Could you recommend a PC that's capable of all that - I'm aware that FM + streaming/video editing requires a pretty good computer. Budget is <$3.5k AUD. If I can pay closer to $2k would definitely prefer that :)

Cheers

Within that budget you should be able to get something with similar specs to this (I will put options for saving money in brackets)

Ryzen 9 3900x (Ryzen 7 3700X)

32GB 3600mhz DDR4 RAM (could go down to 16GB without immediate issues and also down to slower 3200mhz or 3000mhz RAM)

1TB NVME SSD (optional Hard Disc Drive as well - could get away with a smaller SSD if you choose to get one and the combination might be cheaper or the same price) 

NVIDIA 1660Ti GPU (1650 SUPER - Don't let a salesperson convince you to get a AMD GPU as their video encoding is inferior.)

X570 or B550 motherboard (a good B450 would be fine probably)

Edit: 80PLUS rated power supply, preferably Gold or better. Read reviews of the specific part proposed by the seller as this is very important and often cheaped out on. If they have proposed a non-80PLUS power supply I'd take that as a massive warning sign and avoid them entirely. 

I would suggest going to a custom PC builder as most PCs with higher spec processors such as I'm suggesting here often ship with more expensive GPUs which would be overkill for your requirements. A well known Australian tech Youtuber recommends PC Case Gear I believe but I have no personal experience and that is quite likely a sponsor anyway. Maybe use them as a reference. 

Edited by Gangor
Power supply!

Which macbook would you all suggest? I realise they are overpriced but I have a gift card to use.

Macbook Pro 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 512GB SSD

OR

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8GB RAM 512GB SSD

I'm just wondering what the difference would be between the i5 and the i7 for a game like Football Manager? All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

The i7

2 hours ago, jacko5 said:

Which macbook would you all suggest? I realise they are overpriced but I have a gift card to use.

Macbook Pro 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 512GB SSD

OR

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8GB RAM 512GB SSD

I'm just wondering what the difference would be between the i5 and the i7 for a game like Football Manager? All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Hard to tell you how it would perform since it's not clear which model you've chosen. Is the clock speed quoted the base speed or the maximum boost speed? It would make a big difference. In any case the i7 is likely to be faster.

On 17/07/2020 at 10:59, Paddy2201 said:

Hi

I am looking for a new laptop to play FM. My budget is £600 i would like to play at least 4 leagues i only use 2d counters for match. I just want something that can get through a season at a decent speed.

I posted on here a while ago and everyone was really helpful but the laptop i found then fell through so I'm just hoping i can find some more help.

I have seen people post this on on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-ec1001na-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0877L4KMD?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-gb-1916831990227079400-21&th=1

Is the general consensus this is the best i can get for my price range

Any advice would be helpful. Sorry to be a pain

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Gangor said:

Hard to tell you how it would perform since it's not clear which model you've chosen. Is the clock speed quoted the base speed or the maximum boost speed? It would make a big difference. In any case the i7 is likely to be faster.

The i5 has a turbo speed of 4.1GHz speed whilst the i7 runs at 4.7GHz both with 128MB of eDRAM. So I guess that is self explanatory that the i7 would be the better choice for a smoother running Football Manager game using the 3D engine? I've heard that the i5 is better in some cases and wanted to check with you all.

Thanks for your help!

Posted (edited)
On 12/07/2020 at 16:40, Gangor said:

Something like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-FAST-Gaming-PC-Bundle-Intel-i7-8GB-1TB-Win-10-4GB-GTX-1650-DUAL-SCREEN-PC/254344517363?hash=item3b381d56f3:g:QbQAAOSwzJJdZ~F1

If you can I'd choose an i7 since in the older generations i5's were 2 core/4 threads or 4 core/4 threads which wouldn't cope nearly so well with modern games. 

Hi @Gangor I was originally looking at a laptop but seeing this you posted I am certainly tempted. I already have a monitor keyboard etc I am just wondering for the storage what is the reason behind having both SSD/HDD ? Does either make any difference to FM ?

Would this be able to be used for fm and say to run a Plex server ? Also how many leagues would this run and how would 3D play ? How many years would this last for fm ? Thanks appreciate any answers 

Edited by lfc7

3 hours ago, lfc7 said:

Hi @Gangor I was originally looking at a laptop but seeing this you posted I am certainly tempted. I already have a monitor keyboard etc I am just wondering for the storage what is the reason behind having both SSD/HDD ? Does either make any difference to FM ?

Would this be able to be used for fm and say to run a Plex server ? Also how many leagues would this run and how would 3D play ? How many years would this last for fm ? Thanks appreciate any answers 

SSDs or solid state drives are faster though more expensive than HDDs or Hard Disc Drives. It's sensible to have Windows installed on an SSD as it speeds up boot times a lot and will make your experience a lot more responsive. If you can get a large enough SSD for your games or other programs that is also good as it will cut load times. HDDs are becoming obsolete, but they're still good as a cheap way to store lots of data, for instance videos or photos. 

The system suggested here isn't a patch on something new from the same product class, but at that price point used is probably better than new as below around £6-700 you're looking at Athlon or Pentium based systems. 

39 minutes ago, Gangor said:

SSDs or solid state drives are faster though more expensive than HDDs or Hard Disc Drives. It's sensible to have Windows installed on an SSD as it speeds up boot times a lot and will make your experience a lot more responsive. If you can get a large enough SSD for your games or other programs that is also good as it will cut load times. HDDs are becoming obsolete, but they're still good as a cheap way to store lots of data, for instance videos or photos. 

The system suggested here isn't a patch on something new from the same product class, but at that price point used is probably better than new as below around £6-700 you're looking at Athlon or Pentium based systems. 

Ok thanks would you suggest a laptop or PC ? I have about £500 now but will have more down the line. I actually play on stadia but there is a issue with saves failing which ruined my save where I was doing dafuges challenge with Warrington town and I was in championship and save refused to load. So a struggle for me to get into long term save now :(

1 hour ago, lfc7 said:

Ok thanks would you suggest a laptop or PC ? I have about £500 now but will have more down the line. I actually play on stadia but there is a issue with saves failing which ruined my save where I was doing dafuges challenge with Warrington town and I was in championship and save refused to load. So a struggle for me to get into long term save now :(

£500 will get you a laptop that will play FM probably about as well as an old used business desktop. The difference is that for the same money you can get the desktop with a new graphics card which will give you much better results in the match engine and would let you play some modern 3D games too. 

If you can I'd say wait until you can save a bit more. When you get to the £6-700 price bracket you see low end gaming laptops (which would run FM pretty well including the match engine) or a desktop PC reasonably equipped for modern (though probably not future) gaming and well suited for FM. You would be much happier with one of these options long term.

16 hours ago, lfc7 said:

Hi @Gangor I am just wondering for the storage what is the reason behind having both SSD/HDD ? Does either make any difference to FM ?

There is no advantage of an SSD for FM - it has little or no game performance advantages.

If you wanted - skimp on the SSD for now and you can add it later on.

12 hours ago, Gangor said:

If you can get a large enough SSD for your games or other programs that is also good as it will cut load times. HDDs are becoming obsolete.

WOOOAH... no they are not - they are very much used. 

Don't forget SSDs have a very limited number of write actions - also called write amplification and it shortens the length of the drives use. 

This is a huge disadvantage for SSDs - however, the technology is getting better.

In the line of work I do - the SSD would be worn out as I would write 10-20gb of temp data regularly every day using the "scratch disks" in the software. 

This is where the HDD comes in - OS only loaded on the SSD - and then apps/downloads/temp/scratch disks all loaded on the HDD. 

I really can't say how important it is to say that HDD won't be obsolete any time soon - they have battled this disadvantage over SSD speed by introducing Optane memory - and this is a flash memory storage that works alongside the HDD - gives faster access to the data - not as fast as SSD - but it helps in that way - and they are improving that technology.

HDDs are absolutely not becoming obsolete.

Thanks 

12 hours ago, Smurf said:

HDDs are absolutely not becoming obsolete.

Every technology is becoming obsolete... 

For a regular consumer, iops are unlikely to kill an SSD in any reasonable amount of time and the cost premium is such that unless you have large storage requirements - over say half a terabyte - you just don't need an HDD any more. 

Of course if you're planning to store a lot of media or something like that then an HDD makes a lot of sense, but in other circumstances when you're looking at saving £20 on your storage by going for a mechanical hard drive it's just not worth it. 

Hi

Hope someone here can suggest a laptop for on the market.

My budget is 3 000 Euro for a gaming 17" Laptop.

I don't care about the battery life or the weight (my current one is old and almost 4.5 KG).

The PC is hopefully quite during non-gaming (maybe downclocking is possible so I can reduce heat and noise from the fans).
The CPU needs to be the new 10th gen (I7 or I9), fast SSD (1 TB at least), fast & large RAM (32 GB or more).

My target is to play with loads of players and leagues in full details in fast speed.

Was thinking of maybe buying from here (the XMG gaming PC):

• GRAFIKKARTE:  1 x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER | 8GB GDDR6
  • PROZESSOR:  1 x Intel Core i9-10900K
  • ARBEITSSPEICHER:  4 x 32 GB (128 GB) DDR4-3200 Samsung
  • SSD (M.2):  1 x 1 TB M.2 Samsung 970 PRO | PCIe 3.0 x4 | NVMe

From: https://bestware.com/en/xmg-ultra-17.html#product.info.configuration

PS: Should I wait for Black Friday instead?

Posted (edited)

Snip

Edited by Smurf

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gangor said:

For a regular consumer, iops are unlikely to kill an SSD in any reasonable amount of time and the cost premium is such that unless you have large storage requirements - over say half a terabyte - you just don't need an HDD any more. 

Of course if you're planning to store a lot of media or something like that then an HDD makes a lot of sense, but in other circumstances when you're looking at saving £20 on your storage by going for a mechanical hard drive it's just not worth it. 

Hdds arent becoming obsolete that is my point. By your logic ssds are becoming obsolete.

You talk a lot of sense most times, but some stuff I read I just cant leave it. 

Edited by Smurf

14 hours ago, Gangor said:

Well I'd rather bend your ear and get your thoughts on it when I see things - and great if you do the same with me. 

Good to know where you're coming from on this. But just to say HDD is not going anywhere for a while. Sure will be obsolete, but not in the next few laptop/desktop generations, from my point of view.

Hi guys,

I’m looking for a new computer as well. However, I’d rather have an old school PC tower instead of all the laptops discussed above. At this point I have no specific PC in my mind, even thinking about building it myself, but what is the best possible option for 600-700 EUR? I’ll only use it for FM and the typical stuff. I do play 3D, but hey, it’s FM, I dont care all that much about the graphics:)

What are the biggest do’s and don’ts?

1 hour ago, Brompot86 said:

Hi guys,

I’m looking for a new computer as well. However, I’d rather have an old school PC tower instead of all the laptops discussed above. At this point I have no specific PC in my mind, even thinking about building it myself, but what is the best possible option for 600-700 EUR? I’ll only use it for FM and the typical stuff. I do play 3D, but hey, it’s FM, I dont care all that much about the graphics:)

What are the biggest do’s and don’ts?

For that budget you could build a machine that would more than handle FM. If you're thinking of making it yourself I'd have a look at youtube buildguides on channels like Paul's Hardware and Bitwit as they seem to have a lot of videos covering budget builds. Another I've found recently is by a guy called Joey Delgado who makes some really good looking machines at lots of different budgets.

I think you can't go wrong if you take your time watching some of the videos to get ideas on what you need, what you might want but don't know yet and what you don't really need.

What works better for FM, the latest AMD ryzen or Intel CPU's? Thanks!

1 hour ago, 04texag said:

What works better for FM, the latest AMD ryzen or Intel CPU's? Thanks!

Depends on the model numbers. 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Depends on the model numbers. 

I'm looking at 10tj gen intel. I7 10700

2 hours ago, 04texag said:

I'm looking at 10tj gen intel. I7 10700

You will have to be more specific... what's 10tj?

On 17/07/2020 at 21:43, Gangor said:

Within that budget you should be able to get something with similar specs to this (I will put options for saving money in brackets)

Ryzen 9 3900x (Ryzen 7 3700X)

32GB 3600mhz DDR4 RAM (could go down to 16GB without immediate issues and also down to slower 3200mhz or 3000mhz RAM)

1TB NVME SSD (optional Hard Disc Drive as well - could get away with a smaller SSD if you choose to get one and the combination might be cheaper or the same price) 

NVIDIA 1660Ti GPU (1650 SUPER - Don't let a salesperson convince you to get a AMD GPU as their video encoding is inferior.)

X570 or B550 motherboard (a good B450 would be fine probably)

Edit: 80PLUS rated power supply, preferably Gold or better. Read reviews of the specific part proposed by the seller as this is very important and often cheaped out on. If they have proposed a non-80PLUS power supply I'd take that as a massive warning sign and avoid them entirely. 

I would suggest going to a custom PC builder as most PCs with higher spec processors such as I'm suggesting here often ship with more expensive GPUs which would be overkill for your requirements. A well known Australian tech Youtuber recommends PC Case Gear I believe but I have no personal experience and that is quite likely a sponsor anyway. Maybe use them as a reference. 

thanks mate, very much appreciated

New to FM and to buying laptops made for gaming in general. Price range at a maximum of about $1,000-$1,200 AUD but am willing to find cheaper ones that will work well enough.

Bear in mind that I'm not particualrly tech savvy with this sort of stuff, a bit of research has led me to consider the Acer Aspire 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJ21K7T?tag=webpad-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 and the Lenovo Ideapad L340 Gaming Laptop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VC55LF5?tag=webpad-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

I am probably not going to use any other games on the laptop but will use in for Uni work. Which one is better and are there any cheaper options that will do a similar job for less?

10 hours ago, fmnovice123 said:

New to FM and to buying laptops made for gaming in general. Price range at a maximum of about $1,000-$1,200 AUD but am willing to find cheaper ones that will work well enough.

Bear in mind that I'm not particualrly tech savvy with this sort of stuff, a bit of research has led me to consider the Acer Aspire 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJ21K7T?tag=webpad-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 and the Lenovo Ideapad L340 Gaming Laptop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VC55LF5?tag=webpad-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

I am probably not going to use any other games on the laptop but will use in for Uni work. Which one is better and are there any cheaper options that will do a similar job for less?

If you can find a gaming class notebook in that price range that is going to be best for FM. But likely if that's your budget you're going to be looking at something rather garish aesthetically, heavy and with a short battery life, which may not be ideal for the uni library. 

I would suggest instead looking for a laptop based on the Ryzen 5 4500u which will give decent performance for FM but importantly will have a good battery life and be much lighter. Also it most likely won't look silly. 

This one for instance (not a recommendation of the retailer): https://www.jw.com.au/asus-vivobook-s15-15-6-full-hd-laptop-r5-4500u-8gb-ram-512gb-ssd-windows-10-home

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a desktop pc. I want to play with a decent number of leagues and players.

What about those specs of two PC that are in my pricerange?

1)

Prozessor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, 6x 3.80GHz
Arbeitsspeicher-Größe 16 GB
Grafikkarte GTX1660 SUPER
Festplatte 1 SSD , 480 GB
Festplatte 2 HDD , 1 TB

2)

Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i7-9700F Prozessor (bis zu 4,70 GHz mit Intel® Turbo-Boost-Technik 2.0, 12 MB Intel® Cache)

RAM: 16 GB

Festplatte: 1 TB SSD

GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti

Which one is better? Thanks for your help! Appreciate it!

30 minutes ago, y711 said:

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a desktop pc. I want to play with a decent number of leagues and players.

1)

Festplatte 2 HDD , 1 TB

2)

Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i7-9700F Prozessor (bis zu 4,70 GHz mit Intel® Turbo-Boost-Technik 2.0, 12 MB Intel® Cache)

GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti

1 hour ago, y711 said:

Hi,

1)

Festplatte 2 HDD , 1 TB

2)

GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti

2, but only just.

The processor is slightly faster, as is the GPU, and having a larger SSD is nice. Between the two I'd probably decide based on price.

16 hours ago, Gangor said:

2, but only just.

The processor is slightly faster, as is the GPU, and having a larger SSD is nice. Between the two I'd probably decide based on price.

Are both good choices for playing with a decent number of leagues?

47 minutes ago, y711 said:

The first one is better - end of story really. 

On 22/07/2020 at 02:10, matt_forest said:

For that budget you could build a machine that would more than handle FM. If you're thinking of making it yourself I'd have a look at youtube buildguides on channels like Paul's Hardware and Bitwit as they seem to have a lot of videos covering budget builds. Another I've found recently is by a guy called Joey Delgado who makes some really good looking machines at lots of different budgets.

I think you can't go wrong if you take your time watching some of the videos to get ideas on what you need, what you might want but don't know yet and what you don't really need.

Thanks! That Joey guy helped a lot. Great channel, didn’t see him before. 

Posted (edited)

Looking to buy a Macbook Pro and will be using it for general usage, web browsing, emails, etc as well as playing FM, which will be the only game I'd be playing on it.

Two models I'm looking at are the MBP '16 2019 version or the MBP '13 inch 2020 version, with the 2.GHz processor. From what I have researched anything less than either of these two models won't really play FM very well?

Specifically I'm looking for opinions on how either would run FM. I play in 2D and have around 7-8 nations with around 25 leagues loaded typically. I've cross checked both machines against the requirements to run the game already and both seem like they'd be fine but as I say, just wanting some more opinions first. Obviously the first link has the higher spec and bigger screen and bang for your buck with the price difference between the two it looks the better value buy imo?..

Only interested in Macs fwiw.

Edited by craigcwwe

28 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Only interested in Macs fwiw.

From what you describe you will use it for and for FM only - then it's a gigantic waste of cash.

You can get a better laptop for half the price and a better FM experience.

Why only interested mac?

6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

From what you describe you will use it for and for FM only - then it's a gigantic waste of cash.

You can get a better laptop for half the price and a better FM experience.

Why only interested mac?

I know you can get more for your money by getting a Windows machine but I'm looking to make the switch over to Mac and the Apple ecosystem and seeing as it'll be my main computer I want to ensure that it'll run FM to a high standard for years to come seeing as that'll be the biggest program I'll be running.

23 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I know you can get more for your money by getting a Windows machine but I'm looking to make the switch over to Mac and the Apple ecosystem and seeing as it'll be my main computer I want to ensure that it'll run FM to a high standard for years to come seeing as that'll be the biggest program I'll be running.

Again - it's a huge waste of money - Apple products are expensive shiny boxes - but if that's what you want.

My understanding is the MBP 16 2019 has the i7 9750H processor (pretty standard).

The MBP 13 you'll have to up the processor to the 2nd option - 2.0ghz for FM.
This has the 1038NG7 processor (I believe) and it's not as good as the MBP 16 2019 you're looking at.

It's your money.

On 24/07/2020 at 16:35, Smurf said:

The first one is better - end of story really. 

Not sure where you get this from. The 9700F provides slightly better single- and multi-core performance (ref https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700F-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/m816132vs4041) and the 1660ti is a higher tier part than the 1660S. 

As I said though the difference isn't great so price should be the deciding factor.

On 24/07/2020 at 15:47, y711 said:

Yes. Choose the cheaper one.

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new laptop and any help is greatly appreciated!

Ideally I want a very thin and lightweight laptop as I'll be taking it to uni most days. Will be using it for work, streaming football, netflix etc. and playing FM occasionally. Happy to play on low/mid end settings but keen to have a high end quality screen (preferably not touch) and good quality build and aesthetics.

Budget is upwards of £800.

Been looking around and found all sorts, this one seems good specs for the price (~£765 after student discount and cashback). https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-swift-5-ultra-thin-touchscreen-laptop-sf514-54gt-zilver

From what I gather it is similar to other high-end ultrabooks like the XPS 13 but with better specs? 

Any other recommendations will be great, also looked at the asus zenbook versions but can't get a student discount there.