New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys totally new to this site and new to gaming especially on laptop. Am looking to get a laptop to start playing football manager but really want to keep the price as low as possible as I play my xbox more and will continue to do so and also with new consoles coming out so am not looking for something expensive. Just something I can pick up now and then and play fm2020. I am looking to get one from currys.co.uk as its really convenient for me. I have seen a few laptops with 4gm ram and scores around 15% on can I run it with the spec. Costing £329 is this something I should go for? Will the game work okay. Also if anyone has any recommendations from currys please let me know. Thank you 

40 minutes ago, Joshs1888 said:

hi guys totally new to this site and new to gaming especially on laptop. Am looking to get a laptop to start playing football manager but really want to keep the price as low as possible as I play my xbox more and will continue to do so and also with new consoles coming out so am not looking for something expensive. Just something I can pick up now and then and play fm2020. I am looking to get one from currys.co.uk as its really convenient for me. I have seen a few laptops with 4gm ram and scores around 15% on can I run it with the spec. Costing £329 is this something I should go for? Will the game work okay. Also if anyone has any recommendations from currys please let me know. Thank you 

At that price point you might consider just getting a chromebook and running FM via Stadia. Yes it is more expensive (usually) than buying it via a Steam key and yes you can't install custom files, but you will have far far better performance than you would with a laptop in the £300 price range. 

2 hours ago, Gangor said:

This is several years old. It's far too expensive for what it is. A current gen i5 laptop will only set you back an extra £100 or even less if you can find an especially good deal. 

Thank you @Gangor what about this 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a514-52-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198869-pdt.html

Edited by lfc7

Hello

I’m currently looking for a laptop to play football manager on however unfortunately I’ve only got a budget of £300.

I am willing to get a refurbished model however it’s very hard to find a decent laptop for the price, the last one I got from EBay failed to run the game and I had to return it. 

I am currently looking at an AMD Ryzen 3 3250U and have asked the supplier if the laptop can run the game or if anyone on here could tell me whether it would be worth it.

If anyone else has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys, 

My head is spinning from trying to find a suitable laptop for FM!

Ideally I'd like to run at least 6 leagues and a medium to large database.

I've found a couple for my £600ish budget-

LENOVO V15-IWL

81YE009BUK

• Intel Core i7-8565U Quad Core Processor
  • 15.6" Full HD Anti-Glare Screen
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • NVIDIA GeForce MX110 2GB Graphics
  • USB 3.0 | HDMI | Bluetooth
  • 81YE009BUK 

Also-https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205931-pdt.html

Thanks guys for any help 👍

I'm getting impatient... https://ao.com/product/133w8eaabu-hp-laptop-black-75691-251.aspx is what I'd decided on - but it's  pretty much OOS everywhere; AO were expecting stock yesterday, but I'm not hopeful.

Is there anything in the sub £700 bracket that matches/beats it? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-series-3-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205977-pdt.html ?

12 hours ago, Malicious Penguin said:

I'm getting impatient... https://ao.com/product/133w8eaabu-hp-laptop-black-75691-251.aspx is what I'd decided on - but it's  pretty much OOS everywhere; AO were expecting stock yesterday, but I'm not hopeful.

Is there anything in the sub £700 bracket that matches/beats it? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-series-3-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205977-pdt.html ?

2nd one 

@Smurf - it's why I checked! I thought the Ryzen was better, but I didn't know how much. After your post I went to check it out, and even if it's overblown, it looks a lot better than the 10300H. 

Appreciated, I'll wait/pay the extra £50 and get it from HP eventually. 

2 hours ago, Malicious Penguin said:

@Smurf - it's why I checked! I thought the Ryzen was better, but I didn't know how much. After your post I went to check it out, and even if it's overblown, it looks a lot better than the 10300H. 

Appreciated, I'll wait/pay the extra £50 and get it from HP eventually. 

I don't know if it's a lot better. Certainly haven't been on the market long enough to be tested, and FM is different to other games, so processing is a big deal. 

I'm not sure how well for example the Ryzen handles single core processes, vs multi-core, as FM relies heavily on single core processing for some elements of the gaming experience. 

And I don't know how well the Ryzen would hold up under pressure from processing.

Intel though, I would be confident of it's performance, and handling single thread processing vs multi-thread etc. 

It's one of those - we won't know until it's tried. And then everyone has a different setup for FM. One would swear one is better over the other - but one would run 5 leagues and a small database for 10 seasons, and the other runs 50 leagues with large database for 100 seasons. 

All I can I can do is go on *empirical  data - and that is that the Ryzen on this occassion has better specs in key areas for FM. But like I said, I don't know how that holds up under different playing scenarios. 

It's an educated guess.

Edited by Smurf
*edit spelling

47 minutes ago, rboyd193 said:

Do you want 3D? Doesn't look like there's a 3D card.

Current laptop is just over 7 years old.

Inspiron 7559.

i7-6700HQ @ 2.67 GHz (8CPUs).

16Gb RAM

GTX 960M

Swapped the original HD with a Samsung 1 TB SSD.

4K display

FM is all I play. Used to play OOTP but gave up on that due the micro-transactions garbage. 

One of the hinges on my Inspiron needs repair. "Estimated" costs of $250 US, probably more. Not sure it's worth investing repairs in a 7 year old rig. 

Was looking at this G3 but while it's 10th Gen i7, the 2.6 GHz is what I already have. For that price, what else is out there to hold me over playing FM for a few more years?

https://www.costco.com/dell-g3-15-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-2060---1080p.product.100579396.html

5 hours ago, lofty20000 said:

Do let us know what its like once you get it as its in the price range I'm looking at.

Will do, 

Collect it on Monday so hopefully by the weekend I'll have an idea if it's any good!

Afternoon all

After years of use on laptops I want to go with a desktop now I have a dedicated room in my house. Do we have any streamers/content creators here? will be getting into content creation for sure and maybe streaming so looking for the best setup. Got an idea of what I will need but interested in peoples opinions on what they recommend. 

Thanks all

I'm looking to build a new PC and FM is the only game I play so I thought i'd base the build on that.. Im looking for advice on the best specs to run FM. I dont have a set budget but £1000 give or take is what im thinking. Cheers

This is what i've put together..

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/RossT551/saved/#view=ssC3ZL

Good Morning. First of all I would like to say that I never played FM but now I want to buy a laptop to play FM and school work (Office).
I'm from Portugal and my budget is 600 €, maximum 700 €.
What do you think of this Ideapad 3 13 for 500 €.
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
Operating system: Windows 10 Home
Memory: 8 GB (2x 4GB DDR4 2400 MHz)
Storage: 512 GB SSD
Warranty: 2 years of technical service, with collection and delivery transport
Graphics: Integrated AMD
Battery: 45Wh
Bluetooth: 5.0

The downside of this is that it has a TN screen I think. I wanted to play with the main leagues in Europe, plus Brazil and Argentina maybe, but I don't have a good idea, because so far I've only played Fifa.

@Smurf Just thought you might be interested in the benchmarking scores for the two similarly priced AMD and Intel current Gen systems.  It's pretty darn close now and AMD have definetely closed the single thread performance gap.

844081296_600-700mark.thumb.png.2aa41646113916ce427c86e07fd5ad10.png

Obviously direct comparison between the two below is made a little harder by the fact that the Ryzen laptop is a bit more portable and that the Intel comes with a dedicated graphics card but is a more traditional size & weight but its interesting none the less

Methodology is in the spoiler

💡

Spoiler

Benchmark A has 20 leagues in 10 nations using a medium database and has a total player count of  51,330 players

England - 2 divisions, Italy - 2 Divisions, Spain - 2 divisions, France - 2 Divisions, Holland - 2 Divisions, Germany - 2 Divisions, Portugal - 2 Divisions, Belgium - 2 Divisions, Brazil - 2 Divisions, Argentina - 2 Divisions

Benchmark B I have loaded all 51 nations (117 leagues), using a large database- player count 162,590

Benchmark C I have loaded all 51 nations (117 leagues), using a large database - player count 162,590 with full detail added for 5 of the nations

Benchmark A: Game starts on 20.08.19 holidayed until 27.08.19 

Benchmark B: Game starts on 27.08.19 holidayed until 07.09.19 

Benchmark C: Game starts on 27.08.19 holidayed until 02.09.19  

Link to the benchmarking thread is here if anyone wants to take a look

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

@Smurf Just thought you might be interested in the benchmarking scores for the two similarly priced AMD and Intel current Gen systems.  It's pretty darn close now and AMD have definetely closed the single thread performance gap.

844081296_600-700mark.thumb.png.2aa41646113916ce427c86e07fd5ad10.png

Obviously direct comparison between the two below is made a little harder by the fact that the Ryzen laptop is a bit more portable and that the Intel comes with a dedicated graphics card but is a more traditional size & weight but its interesting none the less

Methodology is in the spoiler

Spoiler

💡

Reveal hidden contents

Benchmark A has 20 leagues in 10 nations using a medium database and has a total player count of  51,330 players

England - 2 divisions, Italy - 2 Divisions, Spain - 2 divisions, France - 2 Divisions, Holland - 2 Divisions, Germany - 2 Divisions, Portugal - 2 Divisions, Belgium - 2 Divisions, Brazil - 2 Divisions, Argentina - 2 Divisions

Benchmark B I have loaded all 51 nations (117 leagues), using a large database- player count 162,590

Benchmark C I have loaded all 51 nations (117 leagues), using a large database - player count 162,590 with full detail added for 5 of the nations

Benchmark A: Game starts on 20.08.19 holidayed until 27.08.19 

Benchmark B: Game starts on 27.08.19 holidayed until 07.09.19 

Benchmark C: Game starts on 27.08.19 holidayed until 02.09.19  

Link to the benchmarking thread is here if anyone wants to take a look

What's particularly worth noting is that is a 15w processor vs a 45w processor (not to mention power used by the dedicated CPU). For FM the integrated graphics on a Ryzen 7 will be perfectly fine so I'd choose that all day long if given a choice. Battery life will be so much better, fans won't need to be so loud and there won't be as much heat generated.  

Good afternoon,

I have found a laptop for FM20, I want to know whether it will be able to run at most 8 nations + all English leagues down to Vanarama North/South. The laptop is a DELL G5 5587 GAMING LAPTOP and its specs are listed below:

• 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 3.9GHz w/Turbo Boost)
  •  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 4GB 
  • 8GB DDR3L SDRAM
  • 1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hybrid Drive Storage;
  • 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) LED-lit Truelife Screen
  • Windows 10 Operating System; Matte Black 

Thank you.

10 hours ago, obasa_G said:

Good afternoon,

I have found a laptop for FM20, I want to know whether it will be able to run at most 8 nations + all English leagues down to Vanarama North/South. The laptop is a DELL G5 5587 GAMING LAPTOP and its specs are listed below:

• 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 3.9GHz w/Turbo Boost)
  •  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 4GB 
  • 8GB DDR3L SDRAM
  • 1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hybrid Drive Storage;
  • 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) LED-lit Truelife Screen
  • Windows 10 Operating System; Matte Black 

Thank you.

I'm sure it would be fine, but if it's being sold to you as a new laptop be aware the tech in it is two years old. Unless you're getting a good deal 2nd hand you'd probably be better off looking for something more modern. A Ryzen 5 4600H with a GTX 1650 would be superior and cost in the region of £650-£750 new. 

13 minutes ago, Mac97 said:

Can you recommend a laptop for FM for around £300 or less? 

No. At that price point you won't find something much better than a 2nd hand 5 year old business laptop costing £100-£150. A significant improvement on that starts around £500. The other option you might consider is to get a netbook or something and get the game on Google Stadia. 

8 hours ago, Mac97 said:

Is this a good laptop for fm -  Lenovo V145 AMD A9-9425 8GB 256GB FHD 15.6in FreeDos Laptop

7 hours ago, Mac97 said:

Is this one okay Lenovo IdeaPad S145 15.6in Athlon 8GB 1TB Laptop 

The A9 was terrible three years ago or whenever it came out and the athlon is worse. Either would run FM, but not well.

2 hours ago, Mac97 said:

What should I be looking for instead of the a9 then? 

1 hour ago, Mac97 said:

How about this one ASUS M409DA-EB160T

46 minutes ago, Mac97 said:

Which is better Lenovo V145 AMD A9-9425 Or the  ASUS VivoBook X512

We'd need the links to these.

And also your budget - if your budget is below £550 then it's going to be a crapshoot.

You're better off not buying anything, hold onto the money - and save up more to get you over the £550 price - and then you can get a semi-decent laptop for FM.