New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

1 hour ago, jarradccfc said:

Does anyone know how good this will run FM20 please

DDC27726-7FA0-4B73-88C7-1C00F94E65B0.png

19 minutes ago, jarradccfc said:

This is the laptop I got now is the one I posted earlier better than the one I’ve already got

BEEE05C7-3B49-4308-93FF-9B20041D8149.jpeg

So - on Notebookcheck for processors lined up side by side in order of rank.

Your current processor ranks at no. 620.

The one you are looking at - in the magic one - it's ranked 209 - so it's ranked considerably higher than your current one. 

56080070_Annotation2020-05-12162409.thumb.jpg.05f5f0bb250d0f033ca8de6a73097da9.jpg

And further compare on another site - yours is on the left.

Last two lines - single thread rating - the new processor has a significant higher rating

And the CPU Mark (last line) has a significantly higher overall score.

948120703_Annotation2020-05-12162722.thumb.jpg.51928253d186db29fed6ca7ba8673ff2.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anyone be able to advise. My laptop broke, need a cheap replacement, was wondering would the HP stream AMD A4 with 4gb RAM and 64gb storage with AMD R3 graphics run FM20. That’s all it would be used for. Or can anyone recommend and cheap alternative say under £250 if such a thing would run FM. Thanks

Looking for new laptop after old one gave up. Want cheap as will run FM 20 , under £400 if possible. Like 3D match engine but old laptop only played low res and was quite slow not bothered if only 2D. Any advice 

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

It will run ok - nothing amazing. But it will run.

They both look the same to me - no difference. I am very tired today, so maybe I am missing something.

But they both look identical in specs.

Yeah I thought just as much. Thanks for the comment. 

Thought I’d look on eBay and see if there’s anything on there and found this (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Ideapad-Laptop-S340-14-Full-HD-AMD-Ryzen-7-3700U-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-W10/184027997013?epid=20033719250&hash=item2ad8ec6355:g:rTwAAOSwoLFemb9~) which after the PLAY10 discount code came to just over £500. Finally got a laptop on the way after an age of deciding what I want lol.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

So - on Notebookcheck for processors lined up side by side in order of rank.

Your current processor ranks at no. 620.

The one you are looking at - in the magic one - it's ranked 209 - so it's ranked considerably higher than your current one. 

56080070_Annotation2020-05-12162409.thumb.jpg.05f5f0bb250d0f033ca8de6a73097da9.jpg

And further compare on another site - yours is on the left.

Last two lines - single thread rating - the new processor has a significant higher rating

And the CPU Mark (last line) has a significantly higher overall score.

948120703_Annotation2020-05-12162722.thumb.jpg.51928253d186db29fed6ca7ba8673ff2.jpg

The Ryzen 5 3500 is a desktop SKU and will naturally be more powerful than a laptop one. That said the 3500U (the CPU in the laptop mentioned) will still be a lot faster than the A8 I would say

Hi folks!

Looking for an extra budget laptop. Anyone has experience playing FM20 on Dell 3593 or similar (i5 10gen 1035G1, 1,0 - 3,6 GHz, integrated Intel UHD G1, 8GB RAM)?

• Can the laptop behave respectably processing setup of all English leagues and between 0-4 other leagues on medium DB? 
  • Can it handle 30+ seasons save on such setup?
  • Can it handle 3D engine on medium to high?

Any insights much appreciated, ta!

t.

25 minutes ago, tbrwsk said:

Hi folks!

Looking for an extra budget laptop. Anyone has experience playing FM20 on Dell 3593 or similar (i5 10gen 1035G1, 1,0 - 3,6 GHz, integrated Intel UHD G1, 8GB RAM)?

• Can the laptop behave respectably processing setup of all English leagues and between 0-4 other leagues on medium DB? 
  • Can it handle 30+ seasons save on such setup?
  • Can it handle 3D engine on medium to high?

Any insights much appreciated, ta!

t.

All computers can do this in points 1 and 2 - there's just no way to know for sure what speed it will run at - I might be happy with a speed progression of 10 minutes per week, but you might think that's too slow.
As always, you'll need to tweak your setup until you're happy with how well it progresses for you.

In point 3 - it can handle it, but more towards the mid side of things. 

49 minutes ago, Smurf said:

All computers can do this in points 1 and 2 - there's just no way to know for sure what speed it will run at - I might be happy with a speed progression of 10 minutes per week, but you might think that's too slow.
As always, you'll need to tweak your setup until you're happy with how well it progresses for you.

In point 3 - it can handle it, but more towards the mid side of things. 

hey Smurf,

thanks for a quick response!

i'm struggling to find a point of reference since the last FM i played was FM12 i think :). 

i understand perfectly well FM20 would not be processing at the speed of light on such a machine - but then again if i were to go make myself a cuppa every time i hit 'Continue', i need to reconsider, hence the question :). 

regarding long-term saves, i was worried about memory issues on such a machine given growth of data to process over time? especially that i heard integrated graphics make use of machine's RAM, so would effectively reduce the available number of resources? 

regarding the 3D - would bumping to, say, GeForce MX230 with 2 GB enable smooth watching on high?  is the difference even worth it? :D

thanks a lot!

t.

On 09/05/2020 at 00:28, Gangor said:

Really, I had not heard that! Well choose a motherboard with a B550 chipset then, @noikeee

Edit: ooh and they have dropped support for the older CPUs. It would have to be a R5 3600 or maybe R3 3300X then!

Okay so meanwhile I've been looking at a few other things and am undecided between the R3 R3300X (though I'm not finding this anywhere in stock yet) and the slightly older R5 3600 with the 2 extra cores. Is worth the extra 50€ or so to get 2 more cores, does FM use 6 cores properly?

1 hour ago, tbrwsk said:

hey Smurf,

thanks for a quick response!

i'm struggling to find a point of reference since the last FM i played was FM12 i think :). 

i understand perfectly well FM20 would not be processing at the speed of light on such a machine - but then again if i were to go make myself a cuppa every time i hit 'Continue', i need to reconsider, hence the question :). 

regarding long-term saves, i was worried about memory issues on such a machine given growth of data to process over time? especially that i heard integrated graphics make use of machine's RAM, so would effectively reduce the available number of resources? 

regarding the 3D - would bumping to, say, GeForce MX230 with 2 GB enable smooth watching on high?  is the difference even worth it? :D

thanks a lot!

t.

A dedicated card would be helpful - but it's still an entry level graphics card - so you're still at mid range graphics. 

Again - I can't tell you if you will need to make a cuppa when you hit continue. Put into perspective. I can make a cuppa between hitting continue, but my kettle boils in 2 seconds as I have a fast boil kettly - however, yours may take 60 seconds to boil.

25 minutes ago, dick dickerson said:

hi 

didnt get the game this year as laptop not good enough gonna bite the bullet now and get a new one have around 450 OR 500 euro to spend any suggests please

Honestly - save a bit more to avoid disappointment. 

On 13/11/2019 at 08:58, styluz05 said:

I have a Ryzen 2400 and mine runs between 8-10 nations and large data base and players from every top division club in Europe and South America absolutely fine. 

No speed problems. 

how about 3d games i have a New amd ryzen 5 3500u laptop and 3d matches run like **** when i can easily play games like fifa 19 or 20 @reasonable quality fm is playing like **** on 3d but the game it zelf is really smooth and fast 

4 hours ago, noikeee said:

Okay so meanwhile I've been looking at a few other things and am undecided between the R3 R3300X (though I'm not finding this anywhere in stock yet) and the slightly older R5 3600 with the 2 extra cores. Is worth the extra 50€ or so to get 2 more cores, does FM use 6 cores properly?

The extra threads would help if running many leagues. If it's within your budget I'd go for it.

27 minutes ago, Gangor said:

Yes. It is quite a big mouse and I have a big hand, so it suits me well.

Me too, just got it now, I know the receiver is in the mouse, any way of getting it out?. I know you can connect it via bluetooth or is the receiver better?

57 minutes ago, KnockItWide86 said:

Me too, just got it now, I know the receiver is in the mouse, any way of getting it out?. I know you can connect it via bluetooth or is the receiver better?

I don't remember it being in the mouse - it's probably still with the packaging! I would say if you have a spare USB port use the receiver. It's more reliable that bluetooth, has a lower latency and uses less power. Also it means you may not have to leave your bluetooth turned on.

5 minutes ago, Gangor said:

I don't remember it being in the mouse - it's probably still with the packaging! I would say if you have a spare USB port use the receiver. It's more reliable that bluetooth, has a lower latency and uses less power. Also it means you may not have to leave your bluetooth turned on.

It said you don't need the receiver seeing as I've got Bluetooth on my laptop :onmehead:

18 hours ago, Smurf said:

A dedicated card would be helpful - but it's still an entry level graphics card - so you're still at mid range graphics. 

Again - I can't tell you if you will need to make a cuppa when you hit continue. Put into perspective. I can make a cuppa between hitting continue, but my kettle boils in 2 seconds as I have a fast boil kettly - however, yours may take 60 seconds to boil.

hiya Smurf,

my kettle feels offended! ;) 

seriously tho, appreciate your patience. 

been reading through the thread a bit more, https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html#laptop-thread is just such a good catch.

seems i'm revolving around systems that use either i5-1035G1 or Ryzen 5 3500U. Now, according to the data, the i5 is stronger on all fronts, including a 380 difference in single thread rating. 

on the other hand, i'm hearing since the i5 has the basic clockspeed of 1.0 GHz only, it's liable to throttling and i'm especially worried it might be straining during longer FM sessions or over a longer period of time in general. i also hear the Ryzens have splendid, all things considered, integrated graphics that could run the 3D engine at high even. 

am i thinking right that it would be more reasonable to look at the Ryzen-based laptops? for some strange reason i thought FM prefers Intels to AMDs. 

cheers,

t.

21 minutes ago, tbrwsk said:

hiya Smurf,

my kettle feels offended! ;) 

seriously tho, appreciate your patience. 

been reading through the thread a bit more, https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html#laptop-thread is just such a good catch.

seems i'm revolving around systems that use either i5-1035G1 or Ryzen 5 3500U. Now, according to the data, the i5 is stronger on all fronts, including a 380 difference in single thread rating. 

on the other hand, i'm hearing since the i5 has the basic clockspeed of 1.0 GHz only, it's liable to throttling and i'm especially worried it might be straining during longer FM sessions or over a longer period of time in general. i also hear the Ryzens have splendid, all things considered, integrated graphics that could run the 3D engine at high even. 

am i thinking right that it would be more reasonable to look at the Ryzen-based laptops? for some strange reason i thought FM prefers Intels to AMDs. 

cheers,

t.

Honestly for FM - either is fine and about the same.

I hear the AMD has a good built in GPU so if that's important go with that.

Techincally the i5 is slightly better overall processor, but does't necessarily mean it's right for FM - as FM is a processor intensive game.

My gut says the AMD is slightly better for FM with a 2.1ghz base speed and a slightly better built in GPU.

But again, I have no way of testing, just my generaly observance.

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

Honestly for FM - either is fine and about the same.

I hear the AMD has a good built in GPU so if that's important go with that.

Techincally the i5 is slightly better overall processor, but does't necessarily mean it's right for FM - as FM is a processor intensive game.

My gut says the AMD is slightly better for FM with a 2.1ghz base speed and a slightly better built in GPU.

But again, I have no way of testing, just my generaly observance.

sure Smurf, the gut feeling is all i can look for at this stage :).

soooo, i seem to be narrowing my uber small budget options down to these ones below - is the experience of playing FM20 on a 14'' much worse in terms of too much data on too small a screen? i actually find the idea of a smaller laptop more appealing (i will be travelling a bit with it when and if the world returns to the normal(ish)), but not sure how that works with FM20 and the amount of info it displays.

and is there a downside from the perspective of heat management?

also, any reason for the Asus being so cheapish? i seem to recollect them being a fairly solid laptop producer, but that was a good couple of years ago. is this due to poor display maybe, or poor battery?

Dell Inspiron 5485    ~590 EUR
14'' IPS
AMD® Ryzen 5 3500U, 2,1 - 3,7 GHz, 4, 4 MB
8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
AMD® Radeon Vega 8
512 GB M.2
321 x 19,9 x 217 mm
42 Wh

---
ASUS M509DA    ~500 EUR
15,6'' LED
8 GB DDR4
AMD® Radeon Vega 8
256 GB M.2
360 x 23 x 235 mm
32 Wh

also looking at this beast, but i'm trying to rationally convince myself this makes no sense for FM20 and office work only :)

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT-AL087T    ~720 EUR
15,6'' IPS
AMD® Ryzen 5 3550H, 2,1 - 3,7 GHz, 4, 4 MB
8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
nVidia® GeForce GTX1650 4 GB
512 GB PCIe
360 x 27 x 262 mm
48 Wh

Edited by tbrwsk

19 minutes ago, tbrwsk said:

Dell Inspiron 5485    ~590 EUR
14'' IPS
AMD® Radeon Vega 8
512 GB M.2

---
ASUS M509DA    ~500 EUR
15,6'' LED
AMD® Radeon Vega 8
256 GB M.2

also looking at this beast, but i'm trying to rationally convince myself this makes no sense for FM20 and office work only :)

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT-AL087T    ~720 EUR
nVidia® GeForce GTX1650 4 GB
512 GB PCIe

First 2 are almost identical except the hard drive is bigger on the first one -  but for saving 90 quid the 256gb model would be sufficient if you're not planning on putting much else on the computer except FM.

The last one - the processor is a bit better, it has a higher TDP meaning it can heat up a bit more than the others without throttling - and I mean a bit - not a lot!!!

The big difference in the price there is the graphics card - which is a decent mid range.

Where are you buying from? And what is you absolute max budget?

Sorry if this is a novice question, but when PC's have a base Ghz and a Turbo Ghz, what is the difference? Does the PC automatically use Turbo when needed?

I have a new PC on the way that has 2.9 base and 4.1 Turbo so I'm just curious.

25 minutes ago, Smurf said:

First 2 are almost identical except the hard drive is bigger on the first one -  but for saving 90 quid the 256gb model would be sufficient if you're not planning on putting much else on the computer except FM.

The last one - the processor is a bit better, it has a higher TDP meaning it can heat up a bit more than the others without throttling - and I mean a bit - not a lot!!!

The big difference in the price there is the graphics card - which is a decent mid range.

Where are you buying from? And what is you absolute max budget?

Smurf, 

that Dell is pretty much at the limit of what i'd be comfortable spending - please note it's in Euro, so that's ~520 quid. i'm based in Poland, so i thought i'd skip links to the stores - here's the link to this one tho: https://www.euro.com.pl/laptopy-i-netbooki/dell-laptop-5490-r5-8gb-512ssd-w10-sil.bhtml?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjuq-yJyz6QIVD5IYCh1OLQ1XEAQYASABEgIRdfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

i think i assume Dells to be quite reliable, but then again i'm a tad worried about the size vs. heat management thing. 

the Asus TUF - i think that makes little sense apart from having the possibilities that i prolly won't use - bought PS4 Pro less than a year ago to have other gaming covered so i should scrap that idea methinks, especially with PS5 on the horizon.

t. 

26 minutes ago, RHKC said:

Sorry if this is a novice question, but when PC's have a base Ghz and a Turbo Ghz, what is the difference? Does the PC automatically use Turbo when needed?

Not a novice question at all! In theory you're correct but it also depends on the cooling capacity of the laptop. Often this means that the boost speed is only sustainable for very short periods (seconds often, especially with Intel CPUs). For general use this is usually fine as that's when you're opening a web page or loading a document, but it's something you'll notice for FM. If you're reading a good review for a laptop, one of the things they'll cover is cooling, so it's worth paying attention to.

Edited by Gangor

43 minutes ago, RHKC said:

Yes, it will and can get to those speeds but depends on whether it actually needs to, and/or if it's running hot, if it runs hotter than expected then it will 'throttle' and run at a slower speed - but it might get to the max turbo boost for as long as it needs, then when not needed throttle back. 

Suppose think of it like cycling a bike, you cycle in the highest gear going downhil, as that offers the best resistance and stops your legs spinning like crazy. But once you hit the flat you will probably need a middle gear, and going uphill you'll use a higher gear. The CPU works kinda like this - so if you're in 3rd gear going up a steep hill and you're running out of human juice, you'll go back to first gear, might go a bit slower, but you'll keep going. Once you get your energy back you can go back to 3rd or 4th for a period of time.

That being said - you can get a laptop cooler which is always wise, as it elevates the laptop up and lets air flow underneath, plus it keeps up off carpets/bed spreads/your laptop/clothes/table tops (that gather dust)/ etc. - which in turns lets the fans do their job and doesn't get them clogged as easy.

18 minutes ago, tbrwsk said:

Smurf, 

that Dell is pretty much at the limit of what i'd be comfortable spending - please note it's in Euro, so that's ~520 quid. i'm based in Poland, so i thought i'd skip links to the stores - here's the link to this one tho: https://www.euro.com.pl/laptopy-i-netbooki/dell-laptop-5490-r5-8gb-512ssd-w10-sil.bhtml?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjuq-yJyz6QIVD5IYCh1OLQ1XEAQYASABEgIRdfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

i think i assume Dells to be quite reliable, but then again i'm a tad worried about the size vs. heat management thing. 

the Asus TUF - i think that makes little sense apart from having the possibilities that i prolly won't use - bought PS4 Pro less than a year ago to have other gaming covered so i should scrap that idea methinks, especially with PS5 on the horizon.

t. 

Is this too much of a stretch?

https://www.euro.com.pl/laptopy-i-netbooki/acer-laptop-nitro5-i5-8gb-512ssd-1050-no-os.bhtml

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Smurf,

it must have been absolute nightmare for you to navigate that site, kudos!

it'd be very nice - but it's a version without OS and i need the system too. with Win10, it goes up to ~610 quid. 

i'll keep looking, maybe some deal will pop up in the meantime - i'm getting more confident that i'm looking in the right direction - thanks for that! 

gonna check for some reviews of that Dell, regarding the heat management. tho if that cheaper Asus also does the job, i gotta give it a serious think, too. 

t.

Edited by tbrwsk

I’m looking to get into football manager for the first time, and I was just wondering if anyone could recommend me some decent, cheap laptops I could use for it. My budget is about $300 Australian Dollars right now, but I could probably have $500 by the end of the year. I don’t really care too much about 3D graphics or the game running very quickly, but obviously both of those would be nice. I don’t really know much about computers either so I don’t really have much of a clue what would be good, which is why I came here, obviously.

I had just upgraded my (Preston NE) youth rating to 1 now that I'm entering my third season in the EPL. I don't have any non-friendlies for my U23 team. I'll see if it changes next season (once I definitely have youth rating 1 for a full season).

I see the "Professional Development League" has two conferences, one with 11 teams and another with 10... so hopefully that's where it will come in.

I also don't have much for a U23 roster at this time (the team only has a few players in it as I loan most out), which may or may not impact things?

Edited by alanschu14

On 15/05/2020 at 07:21, KingLMACCA said:

I’m looking to get into football manager for the first time, and I was just wondering if anyone could recommend me some decent, cheap laptops I could use for it. My budget is about $300 Australian Dollars right now, but I could probably have $500 by the end of the year. I don’t really care too much about 3D graphics or the game running very quickly, but obviously both of those would be nice. I don’t really know much about computers either so I don’t really have much of a clue what would be good, which is why I came here, obviously.

Not too familiar with Australia websites - where would you buy from?

On 15/05/2020 at 12:39, mistuhg said:

Can anyone recommend me a laptop beween £1000-£1500 that could run the 125k player limit for a good few years without a massive slowdown.

As always, most computers can run that level - just depends on what your interpretation of slowdown is - 100 seconds might be fast for me - but ok for you.

This is very good 

https://www.box.co.uk/FA506IU-AL019T-ASUS-FA506IU-AL019T_2860285.html

Or perhaps spending that much money - a custom build might get you a better option.

Let me look at some and I will come back to you.

21 hours ago, Smurf said:

Not too familiar with Australia websites - where would you buy from?

As always, most computers can run that level - just depends on what your interpretation of slowdown is - 100 seconds might be fast for me - but ok for you.

This is very good 

https://www.box.co.uk/FA506IU-AL019T-ASUS-FA506IU-AL019T_2860285.html

Or perhaps spending that much money - a custom build might get you a better option.

Let me look at some and I will come back to you.

Cheers Smurf!

On 15/05/2020 at 07:21, KingLMACCA said:

That's just over £150. Don't expect much for that!

41 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

That's just over £150. Don't expect much for that!

Aye, not a chance in hell can you get anything over a netbook for that amount. Having a look, even the cheapest new laptop that'd run FM was looking like approx $1000 Australian Dollars, and to run it well it was about $1500-1700.

On 16/05/2020 at 05:24, Mikeonhisboat said:

Do the challenges around getting your u23s into a league apply to the u18s as well? Just about to start a longterm save with a lvl8 club and would be very sad if my u18s never end up in a league.

I have had better success with my U18 youth team being given some sort of league structure in previous versions of FM. Haven't had a need yet. I do feel that this is a point of improvement though, especially with the (excellent!) addition of being able to formally create the teams. I hope SI can improve things along these lines.

Hello, I would appreciate any experts advice on the following laptop:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

The current laptop I use is very slow and runs an estimated game speed of 0.5/5 so not ideal. Do you think the laptop above will be efficient in running multiple leagues at a fast pace in FM and is it worth the money?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

1 hour ago, AR2304 said:

Hello, I would appreciate any experts advice on the following laptop:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

The current laptop I use is very slow and runs an estimated game speed of 0.5/5 so not ideal. Do you think the laptop above will be efficient in running multiple leagues at a fast pace in FM and is it worth the money?

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Yeh it's fine

I have a Mac mini (2018, i5, 32GB RAM 512GB SSD) and I am curious to know if anyone has any experience playing on a Mac and if it is any good or not? Does it run well? Does it have all the features of the Windows version? 

Just curious guys, thanks.