New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

9 hours ago, Croatian Sensation said:

Radeon RX 570 8GB

G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB 3200MHz

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2/3.6GHz Boost

SSD

Should be ok - strong

15 hours ago, Barry1983 said:

Think I'm going to go for this. Ticks all the boxes I think. 

Screenshot_20200328-171952_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200328-172002_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200328-172011_eBay.jpg

Would this be OK.?

10 minutes ago, Barry1983 said:

Would this be OK.?

Ok is a loose term. It will run. 

Will it be ok - I don't know it's 8 years old.

24 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Ok is a loose term. It will run. 

Will it be ok - I don't know it's 8 years old.

OK thank you

2 minutes ago, Barry1983 said:

OK thank you

What league and dB setup are you going to use when you play?

& What PC / laptop were you previously using for comparisons sake and were you happy with the speed your previous PC processed at?

23 minutes ago, HotDogManUK said:

What league and dB setup are you going to use when you play?

& What PC / laptop were you previously using for comparisons sake and were you happy with the speed your previous PC processed at?

I like to have alot of leagues selected so I can find the players and I always select medium or large database. As for my computer I have had it for nearly 6 years so it's a bit out of date haha. 

20200329_103516.jpg

Definitely not an upgrade.

4 hours ago, Barry1983 said:

What do you mean mate? 

I think he's comparing the PC you linked to what you're using and the PC you're using now is better than everything you've been looking at, any reason you can't use what you've got or upgrade that rather than get a new rig?

Aye @Barry1983, with the picture of the PC you're using at the moment, all the PCs you've linked are a decent downgrade from the processor and RAM in your current PC. You'd literally be throwing money away going for any of those you've shared.

2 hours ago, HotDogManUK said:

I think he's comparing the PC you linked to what you're using and the PC you're using now is better than everything you've been looking at, any reason you can't use what you've got or upgrade that rather than get a new rig?

It keeps going onto a blue screen every time I load it up.it boots up for max 10 minutes then crash dumps everytime

20 minutes ago, Barry1983 said:

It keeps going onto a blue screen every time I load it up.it boots up for max 10 minutes then crash dumps everytime

You'd be far better off getting something cheap but new. A Ryzen 3 2200g/3200g for instance? That would give you a great upgrade path if you find it's not fast enough for you. The onboard graphics should be good enough for FM too. You should be able to find a prebuilt for $/£ 300 or so. A 3200g is about the same speed as your old rig.

2 minutes ago, Gangor said:

You'd be far better off getting something cheap but new. A Ryzen 3 2200g/3200g for instance? That would give you a great upgrade path if you find it's not fast enough for you. The onboard graphics should be good enough for FM too. You should be able to find a prebuilt for $/£ 300 or so. A 3200g is about the same speed as your old rig.

Do you have any links to any mate.need all the help I can get.I'm useless with picking computers 

31 minutes ago, Barry1983 said:

Do you have any links to any mate.need all the help I can get.I'm useless with picking computers 

Not at the price you're looking at. 

On 28/03/2020 at 17:24, Smurf said:

cheers! How would this one compare to the 2 above? seen it in clearance  https://www.box.co.uk/(Open-Box)-Acer-Nitro-5_2928618.html 

15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Not at the price you're looking at. 

I can go double what I said.surely there should be something about for £500

11 minutes ago, Elliott J Miller said:

cheers! How would this one compare to the 2 above? seen it in clearance  https://www.box.co.uk/(Open-Box)-Acer-Nitro-5_2928618.html 

According to the list - the 8300H is at 85 and the 3750H is at 150. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html?

1 hour ago, Barry1983 said:

Where are you based? I'll see if I can find something

17 minutes ago, Gangor said:

Where are you based? I'll see if I can find something

Nottingham mate

3 minutes ago, Barry1983 said:

Nottingham mate

Sorry Barry, easy to assume people are in the UK but we have many members from around the world also.

Here's a good starting point:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ryzen+3+3200g+8gb&tbm=shop

If you want something from a more known brand this isn't too bad:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-V55T-15API-11CC0009UK-Desktop-Windows-Black/dp/B0845NV1LL/

Don't be put off by the business pitching of many computers with this spec - the processors are capable and have integrated graphics suitable for FM. The Amazon link actually has the slightly more powerful 3400g processor which might run the 3D match engine a bit better. 

Another option would be to try a custom PC builder. One reason why you might do this is so you can specify a higher quality power supply (choose one 80+ rated) with a slightly higher power rating than otherwise required, to allow for an upgrade down the line. You could also choose a higher quality motherboard for the same reason (I'd suggest a B450) and a bit more RAM so having a bunch of browser tabs open in the background won't slow down FM. 

If you can afford to spend a bit more (£6-800?) you might consider going to a Ryzen 5 3600. This is significantly more powerful, but has no integrated graphics, so you also have to buy a video card. This might not be a bad thing because a discrete video card will likely be much more powerful than the integrated graphics from the 3200g or 3400g and would allow you to play other games at higher settings. 

Here's one I spec'd out on BOX:

https://www.box.co.uk/create-your-own-custom-pc?s=2716646,2369318,1963773,2140568,2869516,2647986,2834944 (nb no Windows licence)

Finally, if you're being adventurous, you might try building the PC yourself. It's not terribly complex, there's lots of guides on Youtube and it would pass an afternoon while stuck inside. Assuming you don't break anything this will save you a significant amount of money too. 

Hi guys, new here and looking for advice on a new laptop. Iv narrowed it down to 2 so wondering which would be best but any other suggestions with a £500 budget would be appreciated. Thank you in advance 🙂

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-akoya-p6645-core-i5-8265u-8gb-1tb-hdd-15.6-inch-geforce-mx-150-windo-30026121/version.asp

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-15-x512da-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-grey-10195127-pdt.html

does it often take a fairly long time (90mins, ironically) for FM20 to download onto a windows pc?

brand new £400 hp pavilion laptop, 4gb RAM etc - will this have enough computing power to cope with FM20 gaming?

It depends on your internet speed more than anything.

And yes, it should be fine to cope :thup: 

HI everyone. I have not played FM since 2016 where before that I had played it right back from CM and now amid everything going on there could be no better time than now to get back into it! Unfortunately I now only own a Chromebook which of course does not support Steam and a very old laptop which frankly can barely support FM nowadays. I am not looking to pay mass amounts of money for a new PC and really have a limit of about £400 but is that enough to find a good PC to support running FM? When a start new careers I always look to load every player possible to have the full experience and be able to have a wide scouting range going forward through the seasons. I would really appreciate any feedback and hope my budget can cover my needs :)

Looking for a laptop, £500-£700 budget but willing to go slightly over. Ideally good enough to last for a few years (understanding that in three years time, i won't be able to load up as many players)

I only load up the English divisions (usually down to conference but would consider lower) but i do like a large database of players as I enjoy the scouting aspect.

Will only use it for Skype other than Football Manager, needs a decent built in website and be quiet as possible when using Skype.

cheers john! must be laggy tinternet then :(

hoping the spec of my new machine copes ok! got it purely for fm20 really (just don't tell my mrs that) ha - stay safe john boy - buzzing to take Wycombe wanderers to the champions league 

Product name
HP Pavilion - 15-cs0040na
Microprocessor
Intel Pentium® Gold 4417U (2.3 GHz base frequency, 2 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory, standard
4 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
Video graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 610
Hard drive
256 GB M.2 SSD
Optical drive
Optical drive not included
Display
39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit, 220 nits, 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080)

51 minutes ago, john1 said:

It depends on your internet speed more than anything.

And yes, it should be fine to cope :thup: 

hi john - once installed the internet speed wont affect the gameplay will it? cheers

11 minutes ago, bman said:

hi john - once installed the internet speed wont affect the gameplay will it? cheers

No, it depends how many leagues you have loaded up on FM :thup:

1 hour ago, Frosteeeh!!! said:

Looking for a laptop, £500-£700 budget but willing to go slightly over. Ideally good enough to last for a few years (understanding that in three years time, i won't be able to load up as many players)

What makes you say that?

https://www.box.co.uk/30027142-Medion-Erazer-P15601_2756373.html

https://www.box.co.uk/81LK010TUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Gaming-L340-15_2834990.html

13 hours ago, bman said:

cheers john! must be laggy tinternet then :(

hoping the spec of my new machine copes ok! got it purely for fm20 really (just don't tell my mrs that) ha - stay safe john boy - buzzing to take Wycombe wanderers to the champions league 

Product name
HP Pavilion - 15-cs0040na
Microprocessor
Intel Pentium® Gold 4417U (2.3 GHz base frequency, 2 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory, standard
4 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
Video graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 610
Hard drive
256 GB M.2 SSD
Optical drive
Optical drive not included
Display
39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal FHD SVA anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit, 220 nits, 45% NTSC (1920 x 1080)

Sorry man, but that is not a good PC for FM. The processor is barely above minimum requirements for power, and the processor is the most important part for running FM well as it's a processor intensive game. It'll run the game, but it won't manage it well at all.

13 hours ago, Frosteeeh!!! said:

It gets older, storage gets used, the games want more requirements etc? Just an assumption 

The specs for the game haven't changed drastically in the last few versions. 

Yes you can buy an older computer for FM20 - but that in itself would be problematic for future versions, something that's 5 years old now, would be 10 years old for FM25. 

But a new computer now with the most up to date parts and pieces should be fine for FM for about 5 years at least. 

This is the point of this thread really - to get the best components for the best price to add longevity. A lot of people seem to be here with a budget and no clue what to get. Those that do try and find something for themselves are picking all the wrong parts for FM - which is why we are doing this. 

The best parts for the best budget you've got - and it should last a few  years at least. 

Keeping your computer up to date is important. 

That means keeping Windows up to date.

Updating drivers regularly
Updating firmware regularly.

Once you do this - your computer should last years.

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Pro so I can play FM on the go. 

Usually I do not play with a lot of leagues. At most 10 I would guess. 40-50k players with changes in the database. 

Would one of the two below play FM fast enough? Would it help to get 16gb ram instead? 

If this is the wrong thread - I'll move it somewhere else. 

I only play in 2d.

image.thumb.png.5039e2024d42ca052c6b6e77c872c993.png

I'm not looking for an exceptional strong PC. I recently sold my laptop, as I don't like Windows laptops. 

Edited by KVJ92

The one on the right is better. But MacBooks don't come with graphic cards (dedicated) so you're looking at playing 3D matches on mid-level to low level quality.

The one on the left is underspec.

I think the processor in this one is the Intel I5-8279U.

The U means it's ultra-low power - this is due to keeping it cool under stress it will revert to it's lowest power consumption to stop it overheating, in ideal cool conditions it will be strong.

However, Macs are notorious for getting really hot - so I can't imagine using FM under the strain of the processor (it's a processor heavy game) that on the go, with no power cable, will it perform to it's highest grade, in fact it will be performing it's lowest.

But still plenty ok for FM.

Not sure  why you don't like Windows laptops - they are literally the exact same thing.

Computers running Windows OS use the same parts as Mac - intel processors/amd processors - crucial/kingston RAM - 

The only difference is the OS. And for FM all you have to do is load Steam and run the game - the game plays the exact same way across Operating Systems.

The only difference with Mac is that it's extravagently expensive for what's under the hood.

For that money you're better off buying a PC and pocketing the change (sizeable change!)

And a much better FM experience. 

But it's your money - Macs are good computers - and if you really want it - go for the one on the right.

23 minutes ago, Smurf said:

The one on the right is better. But MacBooks don't come with graphic cards (dedicated) so you're looking at playing 3D matches on mid-level to low level quality.

The one on the left is underspec.

I think the processor in this one is the Intel I5-8279U.

The U means it's ultra-low power - this is due to keeping it cool under stress it will revert to it's lowest power consumption to stop it overheating, in ideal cool conditions it will be strong.

However, Macs are notorious for getting really hot - so I can't imagine using FM under the strain of the processor (it's a processor heavy game) that on the go, with no power cable, will it perform to it's highest grade, in fact it will be performing it's lowest.

But still plenty ok for FM.

Not sure  why you don't like Windows laptops - they are literally the exact same thing.

Computers running Windows OS use the same parts as Mac - intel processors/amd processors - crucial/kingston RAM - 

The only difference is the OS. And for FM all you have to do is load Steam and run the game - the game plays the exact same way across Operating Systems.

The only difference with Mac is that it's extravagently expensive for what's under the hood.

For that money you're better off buying a PC and pocketing the change (sizeable change!)

And a much better FM experience. 

But it's your money - Macs are good computers - and if you really want it - go for the one on the right.

Thank you! 

I might want to rephrase the "I don't like Windows laptops" to "I prefer Macbook's over Window laptops". I had a Macbook Pro from 2012 to 2018 and it was great! I then bought a Lenovo Yoga with pretty good specs but, I felt like i didn't perform to what it should based on the specs. I feel like Macbooks are just better quality all-around and way more fluid in how it works. (Does that make any sense?) 

I already have a pretty decent PC which is under one year old. And I know that buying a Mac might be overspending.

If I take the one on the right - would it make sense to upgrade to 16 GB ram? Or is that not important in this case? 

1 minute ago, KVJ92 said:

Thank you! 

I might want to rephrase the "I don't like Windows laptops" to "I prefer Macbook's over Window laptops". I had a Macbook Pro from 2012 to 2018 and it was great! I then bought a Lenovo Yoga with pretty good specs but, I felt like i didn't perform to what it should based on the specs. I feel like Macbooks are just better quality all-around and way more fluid in how it works. (Does that make any sense?) 

I already have a pretty decent PC which is under one year old. And I know that buying a Mac might be overspending.

If I take the one on the right - would it make sense to upgrade to 16 GB ram? Or is that not important in this case? 

More RAM is always better. 

Macs are unique that they have one manufacturer - so you are always buying a Mac and one type of computer. 

Windows computers are made by all sorts - there's not just not one source - so build quality can differ. 

If you're happy to spend that money - then go for it. 

I'd prefer personally to spend a lot less on a better spec. 

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

More RAM is always better. 

Macs are unique that they have one manufacturer - so you are always buying a Mac and one type of computer. 

Windows computers are made by all sorts - there's not just not one source - so build quality can differ. 

If you're happy to spend that money - then go for it. 

I'd prefer personally to spend a lot less on a better spec. 

My latest laptop was a Lenovo Yoga 720. (3-in-1) 

I wouldn't know what to look for with a Windows Manufacturer to know that it would run as smoothly or swiftly as I know a Mac does. 

7 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

My latest laptop was a Lenovo Yoga 720. (3-in-1) 

I wouldn't know what to look for with a Windows Manufacturer to know that it would run as smoothly or swiftly as I know a Mac does. 

Yes, most likely you got the wrong specs. 

If you can spend the money then why not.

Chassis & Display
Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
1 x Proteus Series 180W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Proteus VII Series Lithium Ion Battery, 47WH
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C PORT AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language
PROTEUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 720P 30 FPS HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
Quanta NLCA FHD IPS 144Hz (6GB RTX-2060, 9750H, 144Hz, GB)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

Price: $1,651.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/proteusVII-15/FEMh!T6AU6/

Thanks! 

I will reconsider and look at the one you sent :) (I don't like the design of the laptop - but that's a small issue :D

just a taste of what you can get for your money. 

Not trying to discourage you from the Mac - it's a good computer. 

But I hate spending all that money when you can get something a helluva lot better.

13 minutes ago, Smurf said:

just a taste of what you can get for your money. 

Not trying to discourage you from the Mac - it's a good computer. 

But I hate spending all that money when you can get something a helluva lot better.

https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/recoil-III-gtx-15/jtkH2TFmv2/

Not to spam this thread. But something like that maybe?

12 minutes ago, Gangor said:

The graphics card is overkill for FM surely - that would be suitable for any of the current AAA games.

Might be overkill for FM now, but in 5/6/7 years - and it's better than no graphics card that the Mac doesn't provide.

A friend of mine needs a new laptop and asked if this would run fm well.

I’m not an expert but I weren’t sure if the processor on this would be the best, as in I don’t think it would run that fast, is that right or would this be pretty good? 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0523sa-14-intel-pentium-gold-laptop-128-gb-ssd-white-gold-10195190-pdt.html

31 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

A friend of mine needs a new laptop and asked if this would run fm well.

I’m not an expert but I weren’t sure if the processor on this would be the best, as in I don’t think it would run that fast, is that right or would this be pretty good? 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0523sa-14-intel-pentium-gold-laptop-128-gb-ssd-white-gold-10195190-pdt.html

Not good at all.

25 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Not good at all.

Well yeah it wouldn;t be able to run the game at all - Windows S cannot install steam!

13 minutes ago, EdL said:

Well yeah it wouldn;t be able to run the game at all - Windows S cannot install steam!

Didn’t notice the windows 10s part, thanks will let him know.

so i think i've finally found the desktop for me, before i go and buy for £850, would people say from the specs im about to attach that this is a decent for fm20? Thanks in advance

Capture.PNG