Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

12 minutes ago, LB10 said:

Thanks, I’ve read a lot of reviews on it and the memory seems to be an issue for lots but I don’t hoard games and am happy enough uninstalling any that I won’t play for a few months. 

In terms of leagues and Size of player database how many do you think I could run? I last played FM17 on a MacBook (so painful and loud) and was never able to run anymore than 10-12 divisions across 4/5 leagues. I’d be looking at running between up to 10-15 leagues if I could. 

Well, it tends to depend on how quick you'd like the game to run, but if you keep the laptop well ventilated, that processor can get up to 4Ghz in speed, so you should be able to run 10-15 leagues, with a couple of divisions in each one, without much of an issue.

55 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Well, it tends to depend on how quick you'd like the game to run, but if you keep the laptop well ventilated, that processor can get up to 4Ghz in speed, so you should be able to run 10-15 leagues, with a couple of divisions in each one, without much of an issue.

Nice one. Cheers 

3 hours ago, LB10 said:

Hi,

looking at a new laptop (would be my first dedicated gaming laptop so processors and graphics cards worth looking at are new to me) and budget is £900/£950, have been looking at the below:

ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DV

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Quad Core 8 thread processor 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Dedicated Graphics

512GB PCI-e SSD paired with 16GB RAM 

FM along with Total War games would be my main games to play seen the above re the Medion Eraser but as someone who has never updated or modified laptops I’d rather not have to go through adding RAM or any extras. Would also use this occasionally for a small business use so would need to be able to potentially run adobe software in the future  

Any retailer would add extra ram for you btw.. it's literally a two minute job, and if they won't a five minute trip to pc world or any local repair shop etc would get it done... I wouldn't suggest passing over a laptop for the sake of ram...

The i7 8750H is significantly better than the ryzen above, but still.... 

That said, the above spec would run fm fine, and if you do go down that route, it will run your games fine :)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Any retailer would add extra ram for you btw.. it's literally a two minute job, and if they won't a five minute trip to pc world or any local repair shop etc would get it done... I wouldn't suggest passing over a laptop for the sake of ram...

The i7 8750H is significantly better than the ryzen above, but still.... 

That said, the above spec would run fm fine, and if you do go down that route, it will run your games fine :)

Thanks. I did take a look at the one you suggested, won’t be buying for a month or so yet so will do some more research into it. I have no idea on the Intel to Ryzen comparison! So any help understanding it would be useful, mainly want to make sure that whatever I get lasts and can play new games as they come out over the next few years. 

Edited by LB10

3 hours ago, LB10 said:

Thanks. I did take a look at the one you suggested, won’t be buying for a month or so yet so will do some more research into it. I have no idea on the Intel to Ryzen comparison! So any help understanding it would be useful, mainly want to make sure that whatever I get lasts and can play new games as they come out over the next few years. 

It's a minefield, but the easiest way into understanding is to compare two cpu's to eachother.. literally go onto google and type i7 18750h vrs ryzne 3500u for example and you'll see a few places that compare...

I like https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

2 hours ago, Welshace said:

It's a minefield, but the easiest way into understanding is to compare two cpu's to eachother.. literally go onto google and type i7 18750h vrs ryzne 3500u for example and you'll see a few places that compare...

I like https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

Cheers, looks like the CPU is more important for the type of games I want to play (wouldn’t be playing FPS’s so graphics not as important) but looks like the recommendation you made is unable to run the new Total War: Three Kingdoms which could be a deal breaker. Although the minimum needed for that is confusing as per the below, wouldn’t 1050ti be more powerful than the minimum required 970?? I have no idea 😂57054BBD-F89A-463E-96CD-D3DD4DB3ED45.thumb.png.b42abd1111f144ba11d42e208836139a.png

On 07/01/2020 at 20:50, Yevnin said:

Cool - I've now bought it. Went down to 749. Hopefully the dpc latency is ok. 

Where did you find it for £749? Can’t find it anywhere for less than £899

50 minutes ago, LB10 said:

Cheers, looks like the CPU is more important for the type of games I want to play (wouldn’t be playing FPS’s so graphics not as important) but looks like the recommendation you made is unable to run the new Total War: Three Kingdoms which could be a deal breaker. Although the minimum needed for that is confusing as per the below, wouldn’t 1050ti be more powerful than the minimum required 970?? I have no idea 😂57054BBD-F89A-463E-96CD-D3DD4DB3ED45.thumb.png.b42abd1111f144ba11d42e208836139a.png

Oh they've definitely got it wrong.. i play all of the total war series ( they are my second favourite games after fm, of course) .. and it runs three kningdoms on ultra at around 50fps .. very high at 100fps... bare in mind those requirement checkers aren't reliable in a lot of cases... its always better to check out youtube i find... you can usually find the game being benchmarked on your graphics card there...

Bare in mind that the above has weaker specs than the medion too....

Budget £1200

i am thinking a i7 9th gen, something like 9750

16gb RAM

17.3” screen

graphics I only need it to run FM20 albeit I would like it to look nice

any ideas? The MSI GF75 looks a good fit, as does the dell G7. I have no way of knowing which is best or whether there is a better option out there. 

will only be used around the home so size and weight not a factor  

any help appreciated 

cheers

Dan

Edited by bigdanio

4 hours ago, gianpi91 said:

Hi. I’m evaluating these two notebooks, my needs are FM at maximum speed and fluidity. Can I settle for the Acer Nitro or is the lenovo worth the extra £100? PS. I’m Italian, excuse me if I expressed it slightly clearly

https://www.bytecno.it/acer-an515-52-53q0-prezzo-scheda-tecnica.html

https://www.unieuro.it/online/Notebook/81LK00KUIX-pidLNV81LK00KUIX

It depends on what else you plan to use the laptop for (any other games, etc).

The Nitro will run the game perfectly well, but the Lenovo will likely run it faster depending on the number of leagues/divisions you include in your save, and would run games other than FM a fair bit better too due to having more speed per processor, more processor cores, more hard drive space, and a superior graphics card. It's really not a bad upgrade for an extra £100.

5 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Dipende da cos'altro pensi di usare il laptop (per qualsiasi altro gioco, ecc.).

Il Nitro eseguirà il gioco perfettamente bene, ma il Lenovo probabilmente lo eseguirà più velocemente a seconda del numero di leghe / divisioni che includi nel tuo salvataggio e eseguirà giochi diversi da FM un po 'meglio anche grazie alla maggiore velocità per processore , più core del processore, più spazio sul disco rigido e una scheda grafica superiore. Non è davvero un cattivo aggiornamento per un extra di £ 100.

Thank you. Actually FM would be the only game, but I would like to be in place for at least 4-5 years without having to change PCs. For the rest internet, streaming, office and little else.

I would also be considering making me a desktop, since I use the notebook almost always on my desk. But a desktop gaming for FM alone and other operations is not wasted?

4 hours ago, gianpi91 said:

Thank you. Actually FM would be the only game, but I would like to be in place for at least 4-5 years without having to change PCs. For the rest internet, streaming, office and little else.

I would also be considering making me a desktop, since I use the notebook almost always on my desk. But a desktop gaming for FM alone and other operations is not wasted?

You might be able to get as good a computer for a similar price at least for a desktop - for example: https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/weekly-sales-I

The processor in that PC is roughly equal to the i7 in the second laptop you linked, but has a better graphics card, and would be much easier to upgrade in future if needed. The laptop should cover FM for several years now though, and would have the benefit of being portable.

I would just like to know how many years this set up will be good for football manager

I5 8600k at 5ghz

16gb ddr4 3200mhz ram

Rtx 2060 6gb 

500gb samsung nvme drive

Thanks!

Edited by jckc221013jamie

4 hours ago, jckc221013jamie said:

I would just like to know how many years this set up will be good for football manager

I5 8600k at 5ghz

16gb ddr4 3200mhz ram

Rtx 2060 6gb 

500gb samsung nvme drive

Thanks!

That'll run it absolutely fine. I'd double check the alleged speed of the processor though, as the normal top speed for the i5-8600k is 4.3Ghz, which means either the store you're looking at is telling fibs, or is highly overclocked, which could reduce reliability and the lifetime of the processor.

7 hours ago, jckc221013jamie said:

I5 8600k at 5ghz

16gb ddr4 3200mhz ram

Rtx 2060 6gb 

500gb samsung nvme drive

Thanks!

1, 2 maybe 10 - it's impossible to know.

But I'd imagine you'd be very good for a long time.

Can you advise if I buy the FM2020 for MAC that it will work with the hardware and software I have on my MAC Laptop as per attached pictures

3DF85BF6-7E30-4E7D-AC93-AB5F7873B775.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Frosty2582 said:

Can you advise if I buy the FM2020 for MAC that it will work with the hardware and software I have on my MAC Laptop as per attached pictures

Due to it having this i5-4260u processor, it may run it, if the laptop is cool and able to boost its processing speed up to full, but if it does run FM20, it likely won't run it well.

I'd suggest downloading the demo from Steam to try it out first, before buying the game.

14 hours ago, Frosty2582 said:

13 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Due to it having this i5-4260u processor, it may run it, if the laptop is cool and able to boost its processing speed up to full, but if it does run FM20, it likely won't run it well.

I'd suggest downloading the demo from Steam to try it out first, before buying the game.

Correct on the processor - however it is only a 1.4ghz processor. It would have to be running cool to take advantage of the Turbo Boost technology - which Mac Book Airs are notoriously famous for getting hot which could trottle the processor speed. 

FM on a Mac requires 1.8ghz speeds. 

I can't vouch for any of these - but it would certainly save your lap from being scorched during play https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/macbook-air-cooler.html

RAM

I would upgrade to 8gb RAM (the max allowed anyway)

Something like the below - make sure it can fit before buying (there's a link on the page for make sure it fits (edit* which doesn't seem to work for Apple))

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9-Vengeance-Laptop-Memory/dp/B006EWUOL8?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/183064/Can+I+upgrade+the+memory+ram+in+a+Mabook+Air+Early+2014

2nd Edit* Hmmm - seemingly the RAM is soldered to the motherboard - so no upgrade option available. Sorry!

Edited by Smurf

Afternoon chaps.

Going to be off work for a few months and going to get myself a new laptop. Not looking for anything spectacular I’ll only be using it to play FM and browse the web. I generally only load leagues from the top 4 or 5 countries. 

Does this look like it could do the job for me? Link

1 hour ago, Ausie said:

Afternoon chaps.

Going to be off work for a few months and going to get myself a new laptop. Not looking for anything spectacular I’ll only be using it to play FM and browse the web. I generally only load leagues from the top 4 or 5 countries. 

Does this look like it could do the job for me? Link

It would work - but the hard drive would fill up fast! Not a lot of space there.

This would be ok too - it's refurbished though - check the fineprint for the deal https://www.box.co.uk/(Grade-B)-Acer-Extensa-15-2540_2725492.html

On 10/01/2020 at 01:17, Welshace said:

Oh they've definitely got it wrong.. i play all of the total war series ( they are my second favourite games after fm, of course) .. and it runs three kningdoms on ultra at around 50fps .. very high at 100fps... bare in mind those requirement checkers aren't reliable in a lot of cases... its always better to check out youtube i find... you can usually find the game being benchmarked on your graphics card there...

Bare in mind that the above has weaker specs than the medion too....

Thanks mate. All really useful. Having a tough time choosing though!! Definitely more knowledgeable on it all now!

Anyone recommend a good laptop for the below specs please:

- Min 15.6 inch screen (currently got a Dell e5470 and I can’t stand having to scroll for stats etc on FM)

- Max Budget £750 (although obviously cheaper the better)

- Want to be able to run a hefty FM Game (plenty of countries/leagues, large dB) for a long term journeyman career and it be fast enough to not drive me crazy or let my missus think I don’t need to be fully focussed at all times

I don’t use 3D (only 2D Classic but sometimes even only commentary).

other than that would only be used for day to day internet browsing etc (possibly some rollercoaster tycoon) nothing major

10 hours ago, Jackk! said:

Anyone recommend a good laptop for the below specs please:

- Min 15.6 inch screen (currently got a Dell e5470 and I can’t stand having to scroll for stats etc on FM)

- Max Budget £750 (although obviously cheaper the better)

- Want to be able to run a hefty FM Game (plenty of countries/leagues, large dB) for a long term journeyman career and it be fast enough to not drive me crazy or let my missus think I don’t need to be fully focussed at all times

I don’t use 3D (only 2D Classic but sometimes even only commentary).

other than that would only be used for day to day internet browsing etc (possibly some rollercoaster tycoon) nothing major

https://www.box.co.uk/30027142-Medion-Erazer-P15601_2756373.html

5 hours ago, Vribo FC said:

I just bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre T540-15ICB / i5-9400F / 8GB / 512GB M.2 / GTX 1660 / Win 10. It's fantastic when playing FM20. Quick and smooth. Recommended! 

Price around 800 euro. 

Link to swedish specs and webshop:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator-surfplatta/stationara-datorer/desktop/lenovo-ideacentre-t540-15icb-90l10045mw/1009212.8943/

IT looks great. 

It is a desktop - so if you don't have a monitor you will need to also factor this cost in. 

https://www.very.co.uk/1600420476.prd

what are the thoughts on this one? 

Basically looking for something I can use for a medium database and I’m not too fussed about using the 3D engine. I just would like something to run the game that will be quick and reliable, and as cheap as possible! 

thanks

31 minutes ago, Mc2189 said:

https://www.very.co.uk/1600420476.prd

what are the thoughts on this one? 

Basically looking for something I can use for a medium database and I’m not too fussed about using the 3D engine. I just would like something to run the game that will be quick and reliable, and as cheap as possible! 

thanks

If you're looking to get it from Very, I'd look at this one too:

https://www.very.co.uk/medion-erazer-p6605-156inch-ci5-8300h-8gb-1tb-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop/1600423672.prd

It doesn't have an SSD hard drive, only a normal HDD one, so it won't boot as fast, but it has much more storage space, the SSD wouldn't make a huge difference to loading time for FM anyway, and it has a better processor.

Thank you. Would I get a lot more for my money looking elsewhere?

9 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

If you're looking to get it from Very, I'd look at this one too:

https://www.very.co.uk/medion-erazer-p6605-156inch-ci5-8300h-8gb-1tb-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop/1600423672.prd

It doesn't have an SSD hard drive, only a normal HDD one, so it won't boot as fast, but it has much more storage space, the SSD wouldn't make a huge difference to loading time for FM anyway, and it has a better processor.

4 minutes ago, Mc2189 said:

Thank you. Would I get a lot more for my money looking elsewhere?

https://www.box.co.uk/30026175-Medion-Erazer-P6605_2496888.html

Same laptop, with SSD and double the HDD , same price...

Thank you so much for your help. 

obviously when it comes to spec and stuff I’m not the best. Would the laptops mentioned be a real significant upgrade on my current one? 

image.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mc2189 said:

Thank you so much for your help. 

obviously when it comes to spec and stuff I’m not the best. Would the laptops mentioned be a real significant upgrade on my current one? 

image.jpg

Well your CPU is circa 2013 - that makes it about 7 years old - and probably reaching end of life.

The 8300H processor was made in 2018 so it's taking advantage of things that the 2013 processor can't because they didn't exist before.

The scores for single core are a lot higher (almost double) - and important for FM.

Capture.thumb.PNG.07c6e73a3dbd7bd8c53a963083183e14.PNG

That’s great, thank you for your help I really appreciate it. 

Had to take a few years out from FM with family and other boring stuff. Tried the new version on my laptop......and......well........

thanks again!

17 hours ago, Smurf said:

IT looks great. 

It is a desktop - so if you don't have a monitor you will need to also factor this cost in. 

Yeah, true. Bought a generic 24 inch monitor from the same place for around 120 euro. Working great. I could have used my old monitor, but it didn't support 1080 HD. 

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a new laptop which runs FM smoothly?

My budget would be somewhere around €600-700, and the laptop would preferably have a 13''-14'' screen as my current is too big and heavy to carry around all the time(16'' screen).

Also, I purchased FM2020 from the official website before Christmas and installed it on my current laptop.

How would I go about getting it installed on the new laptop? Can I just uninstall off this one and go from there?

Thanks in advance for your assistance :)

Bit late but budget is about 900 pound. Want a laptop that runs relatively smooth on 2d and with most leagues as playable so will probs need a new processor. Touchscreen and the laptop looking smart would be a plus. 
Will also be using it for uni so will prefer/need to have a nice keyboard so it feels nicer to work.

Edited by louismarcus

11 hours ago, DCBeast said:

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a new laptop which runs FM smoothly?

My budget would be somewhere around €600-700, and the laptop would preferably have a 13''-14'' screen as my current is too big and heavy to carry around all the time(16'' screen).

Also, I purchased FM2020 from the official website before Christmas and installed it on my current laptop.

How would I go about getting it installed on the new laptop? Can I just uninstall off this one and go from there?

Thanks in advance for your assistance :)

@DCBeast 13-14 inch laptops are generally more expensive because they make small form parts specifically to get them portabler installing on any computer - login to your steam account and install it. You can install the game on as many computers as you like, but you can only be logged into your steam account on 1 computer at a time.

As an example - this is the cheapest I can see

https://www.box.co.uk/8FH65EAABU-HP-Pavilion-14-ce3501na_2842541.htm

9 hours ago, louismarcus said:

Bit late but budget is about 900 pound. Want a laptop that runs relatively smooth on 2d and with most leagues as playable so will probs need a new processor. Touchscreen and the laptop looking smart would be a plus. 
Will also be using it for uni so will prefer/need to have a nice keyboard so it feels nicer to work.

@louismarcus You won't get most leagues playable for 900 pound. Well you could, but it would run as slow as a tortoise going uphill on a rainy day in the mud. Adding in touchscreen is an additional cost and would take any in cash what you need to put towards your processor.

I know you only play 2D - but most laptops with an integrated graphics card (built onto the processor) don't come with the high end processors required for what you want.

If we take away the touchscreen - this would be best - https://www.box.co.uk/30027143-Medion-Erazer-P15601_2756374.html

If you wanted touchscreen - this would be best - https://www.box.co.uk/30025976-Medion-Akoya-S4403_2496883.html
But it is considerably worse than the one without the touchscreen linked above this one.

IF you want it all - and as close to your dream you're looking at extreme prices:
https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q4VEK.006-Acer-Predator-Triton-900-PT917-71_2559533.html
https://www.box.co.uk/20QV00BPUK-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-(2nd-Gen)_2714896.html
https://www.box.co.uk/20QV00BTUK-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-(2nd-Gen)_2714898.html

@Smurf

Thanks for the advice. The second one looks good but would it be fast with top 5 leagues playable. What’s the best laptop for under 900 pounds which has a fast processor and gaming graphics card but that is light with a nice keyboard. Maybe too much to ask for but any more suggestions.

what about these?

https://www.box.co.uk/20QN000MUK-Lenovo-ThinkPad-P53_2691801.html

https://www.box.co.uk/4RE79EAABU-HP-Pavilion-15-cx0999na_2485084.html

https://deals.dell.com/en-uk/productdetail/3pvy

Edited by louismarcus

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-l340-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-gaming-laptop-128-gb-ssd-10193779-pdt.html

how good will this laptop be if i want to run a game with circa 100,000 players and around 10 countries loaded?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-fx505dy-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-256-gb-ssd-10194549-pdt.html

would this one be noticeably better?

Edited by ChelseaFan7

41 minutes ago, ChelseaFan7 said:

The first one has a better processor for FM, but both don't have all that much in terms of hard drive space.

I've narrowed my list down to the following but now my indecision has kicked in 🤦‍♂️, so looking for some guidance from those in the know please 👍

The last one in the list is a pcspecialist.co.uk custom build coming in at £692. Thanks in advance for your help guys. 

Screenshot_20200119_001941_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200119_002105_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200119_002205_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200119_002244_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200119_002317_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200119_002542_com.android.chrome.jpg

@koomaroo - It depends on what you plan to play on your laptop, just FM, or other things too. This is because, whilst the bottom one has the best processor for FM, it doesn't have a particularly good graphics card, and so if you were planning on playing other games too, I'd go with the 3rd one as the best all-rounder that'd be good for FM, other games, and have plenty of storage space.

On 15/01/2020 at 19:20, JordanMillward_1 said:

Very nice catch. Yea

I bought that one a week ago, based on @Welshace's recommendation. Very happy with it :thup:

9 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

The first one has a better processor for FM, but both don't have all that much in terms of hard drive space.

Would you be able to recommend me a laptop that could run what I'm looking for? I'm not well versed in all of this. Thanks.

4 hours ago, ChelseaFan7 said:

Would you be able to recommend me a laptop that could run what I'm looking for? I'm not well versed in all of this. Thanks.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-erazer-p6705-core-i5-8300h-8gb-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-15.6-inch-geforce-30026164/version.asp

This has a slightly less powerful processor (but by only a tiny amount, likely not enough for you to even notice), but much more storage space, and for a similar price.

5 hours ago, ChelseaFan7 said:

18 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-erazer-p6705-core-i5-8300h-8gb-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-15.6-inch-geforce-30026164/version.asp

This has a slightly less powerful processor (but by only a tiny amount, likely not enough for you to even notice), but much more storage space, and for a similar price.

This one is savage - and it's a refurb but only Open Box which means it should be like brand new

https://www.box.co.uk/(Open-Box)-Acer-Nitro-5_2862939.html

I have decided to get a PC instead as my laptop somehow manages to run my preferred setup on  4 stars, it even does 3D which I don't use.

My budget is £500 without a monitor.

I only browse the internet, use catch up TV sites or sky go and play football manager so a PC optimized for FM would be great.

I've found this https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/Lenovo-Legion-T530-AMD/p/90JY002YUK?ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI35TFteGP5wIVzbTtCh3z9gdXEAUYASABEgJfMvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!4309!3!372728316131!!!g!790294946580!&cid=gb:sem|se|google|G-UK-Shopping-PLA-Brand-Gaming|90JY002YUK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI35TFteGP5wIVzbTtCh3z9gdXEAUYASABEgJfMvD_BwE

It rates good on PC benchmark but is there anything better I could get?

15 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

@koomaroo - It depends on what you plan to play on your laptop, just FM, or other things too. This is because, whilst the bottom one has the best processor for FM, it doesn't have a particularly good graphics card, and so if you were planning on playing other games too, I'd go with the 3rd one as the best all-rounder that'd be good for FM, other games, and have plenty of storage space.

@JordanMillward_1 thanks for the feedback 👍