Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Leedsfan11 said:

That'd be a poor laptop for a large database and 3D, since it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, the processor is poor and barely above minimum requirements, and it's not a laptop designed for gaming - think more watching Netflix and posting on this forum.

What's your maximum budget for getting a laptop, and we can see if we can find something decent for you. You're probably looking at about £500 minimum for a laptop to run the game well enough for a large database not to slow everything down a lot though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, @Smurf looking for some help choosing between these two,

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3039061
 

Or

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10199732-pdt.html

Would like to play with the top 4-5 European nations, 2 leagues from each one, would play in 2d and a large database. Thanks  

 

Edited by left11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, left11 said:

Hi, @Smurf looking for some help choosing between these two,

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3039061
 

Or

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10199732-pdt.html

Would like to play with the top 4-5 European nations, 2 leagues from each one, would play in 2d and a large database. Thanks  

 

I'd go with the first one - better processor, same graphics card, but more hard drive space, and otherwise look the same, so with the first, you're getting better hardware for the same price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to get a new Laptop to replace my HP Pavilion 17" Gaming Laptop. I'm looking for something smaller/compact as I'l be travelling a lot for work soon (including flights). I've got quite attached to the Macbook Pro I had from work, so considering this:

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-grey-256gb-2.4ghz-quad-core-processor-turbo-boost-up-to-4.1ghz#

 

What's everyones opinion of FM on a Macbook? Does anyone play FM on a smaller (13") laptop? Appreciate all the previous advice on this thread! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Toonarmyfc said:

Looking to get a new Laptop to replace my HP Pavilion 17" Gaming Laptop. I'm looking for something smaller/compact as I'l be travelling a lot for work soon (including flights). I've got quite attached to the Macbook Pro I had from work, so considering this:

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-grey-256gb-2.4ghz-quad-core-processor-turbo-boost-up-to-4.1ghz#

 

What's everyones opinion of FM on a Macbook? Does anyone play FM on a smaller (13") laptop? Appreciate all the previous advice on this thread! 

It will work - but they are a rip off price wise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a brilliant topic. I've read the opening post and it's really helpful, also going to read the last few pages in here and look for a new PC later as my laptop is over 5 years old.

All I ever do online is browse the net and stream YouTube or catch up apps, FM20 will without doubt use much more resources than anything else I do on a PC but I am still willing to spend up to £750.

Last time I played FM was probably 2007-10 time, if the settings are similar I'd probably want a minimum 5 League setup with medium dB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Diddums said:

What a brilliant topic. I've read the opening post and it's really helpful, also going to read the last few pages in here and look for a new PC later as my laptop is over 5 years old.

All I ever do online is browse the net and stream YouTube or catch up apps, FM20 will without doubt use much more resources than anything else I do on a PC but I am still willing to spend up to £750.

Last time I played FM was probably 2007-10 time, if the settings are similar I'd probably want a minimum 5 League setup with medium dB.

https://www.box.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-dk0010na_2577318.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

That'd be a poor laptop for a large database and 3D, since it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, the processor is poor and barely above minimum requirements, and it's not a laptop designed for gaming - think more watching Netflix and posting on this forum.

What's your maximum budget for getting a laptop, and we can see if we can find something decent for you. You're probably looking at about £500 minimum for a laptop to run the game well enough for a large database not to slow everything down a lot though.

No more than 400 to be honest. Would this be any good

https://www.very.co.uk/asus-vivobook-x705ma-bx022t-intel-celeron-8gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-173-inch-hd-laptop-grey-with-microsoft-office-365-home-1-year/1600391771.prd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diddums said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I really don't want a laptop though, I'm definitely after a PC.

Fair enough

Do you have a monitor etc?

Here's one without monitor for about 750

Case
PCS P209 RGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i3 Quad Core Processor i3-9350K (4.00GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF H310M-PLUS GAMING: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Price: £763.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/intel-home-office-pc-II/ujMc2b2V!Z/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3039061

 

2) https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-bc550na-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10193844-pdt.html

 

3) https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000

 

I've been given some good advice over the past few weeks which I'm grateful for but I wanted to wait until black Friday before purchasing a laptop. I have now  seen a couple more but not sure which one to opt for. All 3 are very similar models. Difference is in the storage space. Which one do you think I should opt for, please?

Edited by MerseyReds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leedsfan11 said:

That processor is below minimum specs, so wouldn't be good.

1 hour ago, Leedsfan11 said:

Or alternatively anyone recommend a laptop between 350-400 which would be capable or running FM at good speed/graphics

You pretty much won't find a laptop that's not second hand that will run FM well at that budget, I'm afraid. You pretty much can't get a laptop that has a dedicated graphics card for that price, and the processors you can get aren't great. 

Something like this (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198290-pdt.html) would likely be the best you can get for your budget, but I can't guarantee the 3D match engine will look good at all, I'd imagine you'd have to put it on low graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Leedsfan11 said:

Not brilliant. It'll run the game, but I don't think it will be very quick and I suspect it won't manage any better than medium settings for 3D and you may even need to play in low 3D.

 

Edit: didn't see this had already been answered. Sorry! 

Edited by kevhamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweetleftfoot said:

@Smurf What are the specs of your Laptop/PC for FM20?

I Don't play fm 20.

Specs are i7 7700hq, 8gb ram, 1050 ti, 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Diddums said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I really don't want a laptop though, I'm definitely after a PC.

750£ for the computer components only or for everything (including monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc)?

Edited by EXCLUSIVEEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I Don't play fm 20.

Specs are i7 7700hq, 8gb ram, 1050 ti, 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd

 

Hi mate, back again after purchasing the i9 9900k once again which arrived today :lol: 

Not bought all my parts yet, waiting until Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday is over with until I go for the GPU, was just wondering if the 1050ti runs FM at 5 stars graphics? I'm currently considering either the RX 570 for £120 or GTX 1660 for £188. FM is the only PC game I play. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Smurf said:

Fair enough

Do you have a monitor etc?

Here's one without monitor for about 750

Case
PCS P209 RGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i3 Quad Core Processor i3-9350K (4.00GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF H310M-PLUS GAMING: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1650 SUPER - HDMI
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 2300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Price: £763.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure: https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/intel-home-office-pc-II/ujMc2b2V!Z/

I wouldn't be in this thread if I had much of a clue lol but shouldn't I be looking for something better than an i3 processor?

4 hours ago, EXCLUSIVEEE said:

750£ for the computer components only or for everything (including monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc)?

Just the PC unit / components really, not bothered if it comes with a monitor / accessories or not.

As I said I'm happy to pay up to £750 but if there is something under the budget that can easily run 5 leagues on a medium dB I'd be fine with that, also not bothered about the 3D / graphics as I've always used the 2D engine or text commentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Leedsfan11 said:

It's better than the first one you processed in terms of processing speed, it won't be any better though in terms of graphics performance.

https://www.box.co.uk/HP-255-G7_2580199.html

At the sort of price point you're talking, this one would be better for the rounded performance.  The CPU is a little slower than the one you've linked but still enough to handle what you're wanting to play in terms of FM, and the integrated graphics is actually good enough to have the game played smoothly at medium to high (which I can vouch for having a laptop with the same CPU as this one).  I was able to play FM with most of the graphics settings at high, with one (possibly anti-aliasing) set to medium.  I can't remember which setting that was however, as it was the settings recommended by the game for that CPU so I didn't alter it.

If you want to play other games though (and you've not mentioned whether or not you do), you will need to look at getting a computer with a dedicated graphics card which does increase the price you're going to need to pay somewhat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leedsfan11 said:

Go for the one at Currys - the CPU is the next model up from the one at Argos so will give you a stronger performance.  Also, for FM purposes you will pleasantly surprised with the 3D graphics performance on these.  My primary laptop has the Ryzen 5 2500U (the lower of the two here) and it handles FM with most of the 3D settings at high nice and smoothly.

It won't play current AAA games, but is more than adequate for FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Diddums said:

I wouldn't be in this thread if I had much of a clue lol but shouldn't I be looking for something better than an i3 processor?

Just the PC unit / components really, not bothered if it comes with a monitor / accessories or not.

As I said I'm happy to pay up to £750 but if there is something under the budget that can easily run 5 leagues on a medium dB I'd be fine with that, also not bothered about the 3D / graphics as I've always used the 2D engine or text commentary.

That i3 is actually very strong.  It's a 9th gen intel core, so even at i3 level you're looking at something very capable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

stronge

 

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Go for the one at Currys - the CPU is the next model up from the one at Argos so will give you a stronger performance.  Also, for FM purposes you will pleasantly surprised with the 3D graphics performance on these.  My primary laptop has the Ryzen 5 2500U (the lower of the two here) and it handles FM with most of the 3D settings at high nice and smoothly.

It won't play current AAA games, but is more than adequate for FM.

Cheers kev

So would you say the currys one or the one you recommended from box. Nor sure which is the best

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198290-pdt.html

https://www.box.co.uk/HP-255-G7_2580199.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leedsfan11 said:

The Currys one is the better of the two.

Edited by kevhamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Diddums said:

I wouldn't be in this thread if I had much of a clue lol but shouldn't I be looking for something better than an i3 processor?

Just the PC unit / components really, not bothered if it comes with a monitor / accessories or not.

As I said I'm happy to pay up to £750 but if there is something under the budget that can easily run 5 leagues on a medium dB I'd be fine with that, also not bothered about the 3D / graphics as I've always used the 2D engine or text commentary.

Of course a good observation!

Here's the single core performance for processors - i've highlighted the 9350K and the 7700K

The i3 is outperforming a few i5's and a few i7's there. 

FM is still largely processed in a single core - with the game using as many cores/threads as it needs for the times it is multi-coring.

But the i3 I recommended has 4 cores and 4 threads - and a base speed of 4.0ghz and turbo to 4.6ghz! 

It's fast and better than others. 

419707315_ScreenShot2019-11-25at12_34_46.thumb.png.c185063fc3eb3e191516ea864d3c7dd3.png

 

There's also a link to reconfigure - so if you want to go for a different processor then go for it - but it puts you out of the 750 price range bracket completely with hardly a nice way to pull it back down. 

 

What I've given you is pure solid for FM and would work like a dream.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone.

 

Posted a few weekends ago but have held off as we are getting closer to Black Friday so expecting some deals to be flying around. Just got a couple of questions...

 

How much more important is single core performance. And whilst 8gb RAM would be ideal is it going to be a lot slower running on 4gb RAM?

 

Currently looking at laptops with the following processors, trying to strike an all round balance. Also been reading about the screen type and have been told to avoid TN panel screens and opt for an IPS. Ideally looking for under £400.

CPU

CPU Mark

Single Thread Rating

I5-1035G1

9000

2405

I5-8265U

8018

2146

I3-1005G1

5929

2302

Ryzen 5 3500U

7854

1794

Would all of these be good enough to run FM20, large database, between 6-10 leagues loaded across 3/4 nations and with 2D gameplay?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions for around that price. Everything with the I5-1035G1 seems to be closer to £500. 
 

@kevhamster @Smurf

Edited by mbourne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

 

I’m looking at getting a new laptop which will predominantly be used for Football manager. My budget is around the £500 mark, I only tend to use the 2d match engine and like to play with a large DB and as many playable leagues as possible. I’ve come across this laptop which has a core i7 10th gen CPU but only has an integrated graphics card, however not using the 3D engine I can’t see this being an issue.

 

Can anyone advise whether this would be a good purchase or would I be better going for something else?

 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-fq1512sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198276-pdt.html

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Liam86 said:

Hi all

 

I’m looking at getting a new laptop which will predominantly be used for Football manager. My budget is around the £500 mark, I only tend to use the 2d match engine and like to play with a large DB and as many playable leagues as possible. I’ve come across this laptop which has a core i7 10th gen CPU but only has an integrated graphics card, however not using the 3D engine I can’t see this being an issue.

 

Can anyone advise whether this would be a good purchase or would I be better going for something else?

 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15s-fq1512sa-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198276-pdt.html

 

Thanks in advance!

That will be fine for what you're looking to do with FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mbourne said:

Hi Everyone.

 

Posted a few weekends ago but have held off as we are getting closer to Black Friday so expecting some deals to be flying around. Just got a couple of questions...

 

How much more important is single core performance. And whilst 8gb RAM would be ideal is it going to be a lot slower running on 4gb RAM?

 

Currently looking at laptops with the following processors, trying to strike an all round balance. Also been reading about the screen type and have been told to avoid TN panel screens and opt for an IPS. Ideally looking for under £400.

CPU

CPU Mark

Single Thread Rating

I5-1035G1

9000

2405

I5-8265U

8018

2146

I3-1005G1

5929

2302

Ryzen 5 3500U

7854

1794

Would all of these be good enough to run FM20, large database, between 6-10 leagues loaded across 3/4 nations and with 2D gameplay?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions for around that price. Everything with the I5-1035G1 seems to be closer to £500. 
 

@kevhamster @Smurf

I wouldn't go for the top one as it's only a base speed of 1.0ghz - even though it ranks highly in the single thread rating - I have my doubts for FM due to TDP. 

If you're looking for under £400 then you will need to compromise somewhere.

It's not that the game runs slower on 4gb or 8gb - RAM is about running more applications at the same time. If the RAM is used up then it needs to take away RAM use from one application, and reassign it to another application to free it up. 

With FM 20 no in 64 bit only - if you have 4gb RAM - Windows uses up 2gb of that RAM - and only leaves 2gb of RAM free for other tasks. 

Minimum requirement for FM is 2gb RM - so between your Windows OS and FM all your RAM is used up - leaving little or none for other tasks, like WIndows Defender, Anti Virus, Internet Explorer (chrome/firefox etc), Youtubing, listening to music or any other task.

I'd recommend 8gb over 4gb any day!

But nowadays - 16gb is probably where I am in recommending where possible, but 8gb is plenty in most cases.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mbourne said:

Hi Everyone.

 

Posted a few weekends ago but have held off as we are getting closer to Black Friday so expecting some deals to be flying around. Just got a couple of questions...

 

How much more important is single core performance. And whilst 8gb RAM would be ideal is it going to be a lot slower running on 4gb RAM?

 

Currently looking at laptops with the following processors, trying to strike an all round balance. Also been reading about the screen type and have been told to avoid TN panel screens and opt for an IPS. Ideally looking for under £400.

CPU

CPU Mark

Single Thread Rating

I5-1035G1

9000

2405

I5-8265U

8018

2146

I3-1005G1

5929

2302

Ryzen 5 3500U

7854

1794

Would all of these be good enough to run FM20, large database, between 6-10 leagues loaded across 3/4 nations and with 2D gameplay?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions for around that price. Everything with the I5-1035G1 seems to be closer to £500. 
 

@kevhamster @Smurf

For under £400, this would run the kind of setup you're after. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-43-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10198290-pdt.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I wouldn't go for the top one as it's only a base speed of 1.0ghz - even though it ranks highly in the single thread rating - I have my doubts for FM due to TDP. 

If you're looking for under £400 then you will need to compromise somewhere.

It's not that the game runs slower on 4gb or 8gb - RAM is about running more applications at the same time. If the RAM is used up then it needs to take away RAM use from one application, and reassign it to another application to free it up. 

With FM 20 no in 64 bit only - if you have 4gb RAM - Windows uses up 2gb of that RAM - and only leaves 2gb of RAM free for other tasks. 

Minimum requirement for FM is 2gb RM - so between your Windows OS and FM all your RAM is used up - leaving little or none for other tasks, like WIndows Defender, Anti Virus, Internet Explorer (chrome/firefox etc), Youtubing, listening to music or any other task.

I'd recommend 8gb over 4gb any day!

But nowadays - 16gb is probably where I am in recommending where possible, but 8gb is plenty in most cases.

 

 

 

5 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Thanks guys. Will keep that in mind over the next few days with all of the Black Friday deals knocking about. Difficult to see what is a deal and what isn’t but that one does look very good @kevhamster. Cheers both!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again everyone. from what I've read a ryzen 3 laptop seems to fit what I need, but they make it sound like I don't need a graphics card. If that's the case there are some laptops available for quite cheap. Am I wrong here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HullCity1904 said:

Hello again everyone. from what I've read a ryzen 3 laptop seems to fit what I need, but they make it sound like I don't need a graphics card. If that's the case there are some laptops available for quite cheap. Am I wrong here?

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=slaphp14cm099965b&categoryName=laptops-windows&superCatName=computing&title=hp-14-cm0999na-ryzen-5-2500u-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-14"-windows-10-b this for example

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me what kind of GPU is needed to run the graphics settings at maximum and also gives a 5 star rating? 

Looking at 3 cards for my new build:

https://www.ebuyer.com/910791-sapphire-radeon-rx-570-pulse-4gb-graphics-card-11266-67-20g?mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=51482416379&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ-1HDDWaiuMbL0W-NtcOBhFzi0zC6p_lef7rifAcwNbzqcjWEKE6G3BoC1rQQAvD_BwE £119. 99

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Palit+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+1660+SUPER+6GB+StormX+Turing+Graphics+Card+?productId=72026 £197.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerColor-56-8GBHBM2-2D2HD-OC-Graphics-Black/dp/B07BRCZG3M/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Vega+56&qid=1574713959&sr=8-3 £248.99

I'm looking to future proof the GPU for a good minimum of 5 years just like I have done with buying the i9 9900k CPU. Not sure if going for the Vega 56 is a bit much though, although it may stop me from having to upgrade the GPU to keep up with future FM's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HullCity1904 said:

The Ryzen 5's like this one will enable you to play 3D at higher settings. 

You can get a very similar one from box.co.uk for £370 though (main difference is that's got 8GB RAM compared to the 16GB here), but I'd still be more inclined to go for that seeing as it's brand new, whereas the one from CEX here will be second hand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kieran Plyth said:

Hi Smurf,

How would this work for FM20 would it run it, I'm looking a casual gameplay with only a small database of like 4 leagues. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-stream-14-cm0508sa-14-amd-a4-laptop-64-gb-emmc-blue-10193471-pdt.html

Cheers 

I wouldn't recommend that, even for a fairly basic setup. 

That's not a good processor at all by current standards and will likely be very slow. 

Plus, with only 64GB storage you'll likely find yourself running short on disk space quite quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

I wouldn't recommend that, even for a fairly basic setup. 

That's not a good processor at all by current standards and will likely be very slow. 

Plus, with only 64GB storage you'll likely find yourself running short on disk space quite quickly. 

Cheers bud, what should I be looking for then as I've got absolutely no clue what I'm looking for? I've just been looking for various cheap laptops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kieran Plyth said:

Cheers bud, what should I be looking for then as I've got absolutely no clue what I'm looking for? I've just been looking for various cheap laptops.

What's your budget? 

And do you want to play in 3D?

Edited by kevhamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

What's your budget? 

Around £250

Mate I've not played the game in 3 years so I'm easy I just fancy getting back into it.

Edited by Kieran Plyth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kieran Plyth said:

Around £250

Mate I've not played the game in 3 years so I'm easy I just fancy getting back into it.

At that sort of budget, you're only really going to get something halfway decent by getting a refurb model most likely. 

This one won't be amazingly quick but should be able to handle the game at an acceptable speed and should probably be able to play 3D at medium settings (you may need to tweak some to low possibly but the game is pretty good at figuring out what your computer can handle. 

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/e725016gb-3/

I've used these guys myself and their 12 month warranty on their refurb machines is legitimate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

At that sort of budget, you're only really going to get something halfway decent by getting a refurb model most likely. 

This one won't be amazingly quick but should be able to handle the game at an acceptable speed and should probably be able to play 3D at medium settings (you may need to tweak some to low possibly but the game is pretty good at figuring out what your computer can handle. 

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/e725016gb-3/

I've used these guys myself and their 12 month warranty on their refurb machines is legitimate. 

Nice one mate cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, looking for a machine that can load quite a fair few leagues.  At least 20+ leagues and a database of 100-150k+ players. Enjoy hovering over the many leagues simulated or journeyman/scouting/lower tier management. Will download player faces+ and a lower league databases possibly also. Portability isn’t an issue, so I’m relatively flexible with either laptop or desktop. Although as a previous laptop user, I am used to playing FM in various locations of the house :D

1 https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-gf75-thin-9sc-051uk-core-i7-9750h-16gb-512gb-ssd-17.3-inch-fhd-geforce-9s7-17f212-431/version.asp
 i7 9750H [4.5ghz turbo clock speed],
 [16GB RAM 2666Mhz].
 GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
I’ve read that notebooks can struggle getting to that max of 4.5ghz clock speed due to fans/cooling ect.. Although on 1-2 cores instead of all 6, it can get close enough?

2  https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/form-view/cosmosVIII-15/15-6-Cosmos-VIII/1/?gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ-yJUg3VtylRsDRicCbQY6OS1sll8VR5tTpMV8JNnCGqMpIiqFQOc9BoCxWIQAvD_BwE 
i7 9750H
16GB RAM 2666Mhz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 3GB 

3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberpowerPC-Sniper-i5-2060-Gaming-Spec-Delta/dp/B0187L1U8O/ref=sr_1_30?m=AOJUIW65VI5BZ&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&qid=1574718498&s=merchant-items&sr=1-30&th=1
Pre-built desktop with i5 9600KF processor and 16gb RAM looks at a pretty good price in comparison. Is there something that might shy you away such as a poor motherboard or something I'd know very little about?

Should the laptops be capable of running a very large database of 120k or more players and as many leagues as possible? If I’m being too optimistic with the laptops I may sway the way of the desktop computer linked. The i3 desktop Smurf recently configured a few posts back also presents an option.
 Is there a laptop of the 2 you would choose solely for FM and browsing/word+excel processing? With custom built one being 100£ cheaper in mind.
@Smurf @kevhamster @JordanMillward_1
Have to comment on the great job being done on this thread and some of the other FM benchmarking threads. I came into this knowing absolutely zilch! 
Sorry for the long post, appreciate any feedback or if there is anything better you are able to find, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't necessarily need a laptop, always always go for the desktop option as you get more for your money. Laptops are overpriced. Obviously if you need a laptop for it's portability then fair enough but if it's just for use in the house then a desktop is the better option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Can anyone tell me what kind of GPU is needed to run the graphics settings at maximum and also gives a 5 star rating? 

Looking at 3 cards for my new build:

https://www.ebuyer.com/910791-sapphire-radeon-rx-570-pulse-4gb-graphics-card-11266-67-20g?mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=51482416379&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ-1HDDWaiuMbL0W-NtcOBhFzi0zC6p_lef7rifAcwNbzqcjWEKE6G3BoC1rQQAvD_BwE £119. 99

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/Palit+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+1660+SUPER+6GB+StormX+Turing+Graphics+Card+?productId=72026 £197.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerColor-56-8GBHBM2-2D2HD-OC-Graphics-Black/dp/B07BRCZG3M/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Vega+56&qid=1574713959&sr=8-3 £248.99

I'm looking to future proof the GPU for a good minimum of 5 years just like I have done with buying the i9 9900k CPU. Not sure if going for the Vega 56 is a bit much though, although it may stop me from having to upgrade the GPU to keep up with future FM's. 

Can anyone help me with this? Especially in regards to the 5 star rating. My current GT 640 is now rated 1 star when in FM19 it was 3 stars. Not sure which GPU to go for here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...