Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Derbylad82 said:

I can't comment on the technical side, but just thought I'd give you the heads up that you can get 16.5% cashback with Quidco when you buy a HP gaming laptop from Currys which should provide a decent saving on the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where’s the best/cheapest place to buy RAM from? I’ve found the below to upgrade my laptop, is there anything I particularly need to look out for? On the first link there first two recommended are a few £s apart in price - what’s the difference between them?

https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-15-n297sa

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hp/pavilion-notebook/15-n297sa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, zakbrown96 said:

Got it today graphics you have to change to the actual card as its for some reason on default to the intel one, but it still only showed 1 star but high graphics works an dream for me so far,tell me the leagues you have and I’ll take an screenshot so you know the processing speeds 

Yeah, I am tempted to also buy this one, just wasn’t sure if the processor and graphics cards was as high as some of the other gaming laptops at similar prices. I guess there must be some advantage to why this was a £950 laptop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Derbylad82 said:

Yeah, I am tempted to also buy this one, just wasn’t sure if the processor and graphics cards was as high as some of the other gaming laptops at similar prices. I guess there must be some advantage to why this was a £950 laptop?

That price is something you can’t really take notice of as they will do that to sell it! With the Quidco offer of 15% back that @Nuclear FC just said makes the gaming laptop way better value I reckon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was hoping to hold out til Friday just in case a better one pops up, but the offer at Very finishes tomorrow and the Currys one is Black Friday proof. I had settled on the Gaming 15 laptop til the Quidco cashback appeared on the Pavilion. Very works out about £65 dearer after cashback, is the difference worth it? From my limited knowledge it just looks like a better graphics card? 

Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0010na

HP Pavilion 15-bc550na

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to join the queue of people posting specs in here. Looks a good spec and deal at the moment. Just reduced from 999 to 699

 

https://ao.com/product/nhq59ek018-acer-laptop-black-72109-251.aspx

 

Dedicated GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB graphics

9th gen Intel® Core™ i5-9300H quad core processor

8GB of DDR4 RAM delivers seamless multitasking

512GB SSD offers loads of storage & super-fast loading

Acer CoolBoost technology for improved performance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hibs29 said:

Will this run football manager 2020 even if it's slow only do a few leagues

It's a HP ProBook 645 G1

processor.pngProcessor: AMD A8 Quad Core 2.10GHz

processor-generation.pngProcessor Generation: N/A

memory.pngMemory: 4GB DDR3

hard-drive.pngHard Drive: 128GB SSD

screen-size.pngScreen Size: 14.1" Widescreen. 1366 x 768

cd-drive.pngCD Drive: None

operating-system.pngOperating System: Windows 10 64 Bit

battery.pngBattery: Minimum 2 hours standby

graphics-card.pngGraphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7420G

ac-adapter.pngAC Adapter: Included

It will probably run FM painfully slowly - those A8 processors aren't very strong these days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TotallyQuakerz said:

Hey guys

Wondering if anyone can help me.

I am going to get FM20 later this week or next and was wondering if my Laptop would run it.

I was wondering about the spec of the game, I currently run nothing but FM15 on my laptop which plays well on it and was wondering if FM 20's spec was similar to that of FM15, I do intend on getting a new computer in the near future, especially as I am starting a degree in the New Year and plan on getting a PC to do my degree coursework and also to play FM.

I'm hoping my laptop will be good enough to run FM 20 in the meantime...

Thanks in Advance

Fozz

If you post the actual specs of the laptop we'll be able to tell you.

Bear in mind, you will need a 64-bit OS and if the last game you played was FM15 there is a chance you're on a 32-bit system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NuclearPower said:

This forum has been so useful for me - thanks so much to everyone contributing.

I'm thinking of getting the HP Pavilion - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html - although I notice that I can get it with i7 for £150 more - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3520sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198863-pdt.html. Is there much value in spending the extra? I normally run about five / six countries with a medium database (although I cut down on playable leagues) & I feel as if my budget is about £600. I could push to £650 if the i7 was truly worth it, although I don't find myself playing much other than FM, but wouldn't mind spending the extra if it 'future proofed' my laptop a bit - I might broaden my horizons as well if I could had a better laptop compared to what I have now. I'm painfully ignorant with all this - been running on an Acer Aspire e5-571 I've had for five years so I'm looking forward to not spending a month to finish a season!

If there's anything else better around my price point then I'm happy to be pointed in the right direction, although I can only use Currys due to work discount & vouchers.

Thanks very much in advance. 

Although the i7 is a slight improvement, I couldn't say in good conscience it's worth the extra, especially if you're breaking your budget to do it.  I'd honestly stick with the i5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Derbylad82 said:

Hi mate,

I’ve also been looking at both these laptops. They are both decent laptops, especially for the price, however they are both lacking a decent graphics card to run FM well in my view. The i7 has a better graphics card, but still lacking compared to gaming laptops.

 

for pure value within £600 these are decent gaming laptops with a decent graphics card

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-bc550na-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10193844-pdt.html

 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-gaming-laptop-256-gb-ssd-10189729-pdt.html

 

However, I am in the same boat as u, I will only play FM and I’m just not a big fan of these ugly bulky gaming laptops. So I also would be interest in others thoughts whether the two laptops you posted would run FM at a decent speed or is it just a case of going for more a gaming laptop?

The mistake you're making is that thinking a dedicated GPU is required for FM.  It's really not.  I've been playing the FM20 beta with 3D on medium settings on an old 5th gen i3 and integrated graphics with no issues at all.

Out of those two, go for the HP.  Better CPU, does have dedicated graphics and also twice the storage space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Derbylad82 said:

Both will run FM very well.  The more expensive one has what should be a better CPU, but the other one does have a slightly larger screen (in terms of physical size - both are 1080p resolution).  But both laptops have CPU's which are near the top of the range.

Depends entirely on what you would prefer, but both will be more than adequate FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Par7yPoison said:

Was hoping to hold out til Friday just in case a better one pops up, but the offer at Very finishes tomorrow and the Currys one is Black Friday proof. I had settled on the Gaming 15 laptop til the Quidco cashback appeared on the Pavilion. Very works out about £65 dearer after cashback, is the difference worth it? From my limited knowledge it just looks like a better graphics card? 

Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0010na

HP Pavilion 15-bc550na

They are very similar - the one from Very has a marginally better graphics card (completely unimportant for FM), but the one from Currys has twice the storage.

Personally, out of the two I'd go for the Currys if I was choosing.  There's very little in it in terms of the graphics card, and that's quite an increase in price for a marginally better GPU.  Of course, it does depend on if you play other games too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mark H said:

I'm going to join the queue of people posting specs in here. Looks a good spec and deal at the moment. Just reduced from 999 to 699

 

https://ao.com/product/nhq59ek018-acer-laptop-black-72109-251.aspx

 

Dedicated GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB graphics

9th gen Intel® Core™ i5-9300H quad core processor

8GB of DDR4 RAM delivers seamless multitasking

512GB SSD offers loads of storage & super-fast loading

Acer CoolBoost technology for improved performance

Yep, very good.  Will run FM no problem at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TioPatinhax said:

Whats the speed like of FM on Stadia?

As far as I know, it's not out on Stadia yet but it will be the quickest way to play according to SI.  On the flip side, if you like to add logos, custom databases etc I don't believe this will be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

They are very similar - the one from Very has a marginally better graphics card (completely unimportant for FM), but the one from Currys has twice the storage.

Personally, out of the two I'd go for the Currys if I was choosing.  There's very little in it in terms of the graphics card, and that's quite an increase in price for a marginally better GPU.  Of course, it does depend on if you play other games too.

The one from Very is actually cheaper if you use the 20% discount code

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mbh90 said:

The one from Very is actually cheaper if you use the 20% discount code

In that case, go with whichever element is more important to you - slightly better graphics card, or larger storage amount.  Or if neither makes any odds to you, go for the cheaper one.

Purely for FM, either laptop is more than adequate and in fact both are the same manufacturer, both have exactly the same CPU, same screen size, same resolution and same amount RAM so there really is very little in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mbh90 said:

The one from Very is actually cheaper if you use the 20% discount code

It would be £560 I believe I worked it out as - but cant pay it off til January when the account is credited with the "discount". There is 15% cashback on the Currys one through Quidco though so that would be a bit cheaper in the end (although knowing Quidco theres a chance you dont necessarily get it) 

22 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

In that case, go with whichever element is more important to you - slightly better graphics card, or larger storage amount.  Or if neither makes any odds to you, go for the cheaper one.

Purely for FM, either laptop is more than adequate and in fact both are the same manufacturer, both have exactly the same CPU, same screen size, same resolution and same amount RAM so there really is very little in it.

It would be used for pretty much FM, TellTale games, Planet Coaster (and maybe Zoo) plus a few older games and some officey stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Par7yPoison said:

It would be £560 I believe I worked it out as - but cant pay it off til January when the account is credited with the "discount". There is 15% cashback on the Currys one through Quidco though so that would be a bit cheaper in the end (although knowing Quidco theres a chance you dont necessarily get it) 

It would be used for pretty much FM, TellTale games, Planet Coaster (and maybe Zoo) plus a few older games and some officey stuff.

Either one will be fine for those things.  Personally, I'd choose the one with the larger storage but that's just my own preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Either one will be fine for those things.  Personally, I'd choose the one with the larger storage but that's just my own preference.

Brilliant. Cheers mate, your help is much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am looking to buy a new laptop for my boyfriend who basically just uses it to play FM, I have read through the thread and noticed these two laptops. Would be grateful for any advice on this, whether they would be good laptops, or, any recommendations! Thank you

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3520sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198863-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-bc550na-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10193844-pdt.html

@Smurf

Edited by JW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JW said:

Hi, I am looking to buy a new laptop for my boyfriend who basically just uses it to play FM, I have read through the thread and noticed these two laptops. Would be grateful for any advice on this, whether they would be good laptops, or, any recommendations! Thank you

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3501sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce3520sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198863-pdt.html

@Smurf

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-52-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-256-gb-ssd-10194184-pdt.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JW said:

Ive actually just purchased this one  (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-bc550na-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10193844-pdt.html )

 

Hopefully this will do the job for the league i load. ill give an update on how it runs later this week onces ive started my save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@14Benji

Thank you so much, I have never researched so much FM in my life! I think I am leaning towards the one that you have purchased so look forward to hearing your feedback :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kevhamster said:

If you post the actual specs of the laptop we'll be able to tell you.

Bear in mind, you will need a 64-bit OS and if the last game you played was FM15 there is a chance you're on a 32-bit system.

Thanks for the Reply, I will get back to you with my laptop spec in due course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevhamster said:

They are very similar - the one from Very has a marginally better graphics card (completely unimportant for FM), but the one from Currys has twice the storage.

Personally, out of the two I'd go for the Currys if I was choosing.  There's very little in it in terms of the graphics card, and that's quite an increase in price for a marginally better GPU.  Of course, it does depend on if you play other games too.

is that right? I have to run the 3d match engine on low settings, I assumed the graphics card caused the lag on higher settings? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, HullCity1904 said:

is that right? I have to run the 3d match engine on low settings, I assumed the graphics card caused the lag on higher settings? 

It does depend on your current computer - it may well be the integrated graphics will only handle the 3D match engine on low settings, and if it is an older computer this is very likely to be the case.

However, to give you two real life examples:

That is footage taken from one of my laptops - this one has an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U CPU.  This is FM19 running with the 3D match engine at high settings - as you will see from the frame counter at the top, it's running around 30fps and being rendered at 1080p.  This is with integrated graphics.

I also have a laptop with an older CPU (a 5th gen core i3 - specifically the i3-5010U), and I've been playing FM20 on the 3D match engine at mostly medium settings (except textures, which I've set to high and shadows, which I set to low), and this is running 3D at a similar frame rate, albeit at 1366x768 resolution, also with integrated graphics.  I've had to use this one for FM20 as the other one is currently in the process of being replaced due to a fault it developed.

Point is, these newer processors should have no issue handling FM at medium settings, and possibly more depending on how good the integrated graphics capabolity is.  For reference, the integrated graphics seem to be stronger in the AMD Ryzen chips, but for overall PC performance the Intels are still the winner overall.

Dedicated graphics cards are nice to have, and indeed will be essential for many modern games, but FM can be played with integrated graphics, and in some cases this can be at high settings.

But in terms of the point I made, the difference between the two graphics cards is unimportant for FM, as either will be able to handle it at the highest settings and not even break a sweat.

Edited by kevhamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2019 at 18:25, zakbrown96 said:

If you buy through Quidco or top cashback you’d get £30 back as I found out earlier might be of use to you @SHIPPO79 as I brought the I7 version of that 

Sorry buddy was away for a day or two, i'm terrible trying to find the i7, where did you grab it from? Have you a link? Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry this is so general but I literally have been going from awful laptop to awful laptop I want some that's going to last 3/4 years.

 

I have a budget of around 400-600 and usually like to load a max of 5 leagues and a large database.

 

FM is the only game I play I only use my laptop for that and watching the odd thing on Netflix etc.

 

I would be watching 3d engine so would want a smooth experience there.

 

I have no clue what I'm doing so any guidance would be good and I am willing to wait till black Friday/cyber Saturday for a deal as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SHIPPO79 said:

Sorry buddy was away for a day or two, i'm terrible trying to find the i7, where did you grab it from? Have you a link? Cheers

Here’s the link!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

It does depend on your current computer - it may well be the integrated graphics will only handle the 3D match engine on low settings, and if it is an older computer this is very likely to be the case.

However, to give you two real life examples:

That is footage taken from one of my laptops - this one has an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U CPU.  This is FM19 running with the 3D match engine at high settings - as you will see from the frame counter at the top, it's running around 30fps and being rendered at 1080p.  This is with integrated graphics.

I also have a laptop with an older CPU (a 5th gen core i3 - specifically the i3-5010U), and I've been playing FM20 on the 3D match engine at mostly medium settings (except textures, which I've set to high and shadows, which I set to low), and this is running 3D at a similar frame rate, albeit at 1366x768 resolution, also with integrated graphics.  I've had to use this one for FM20 as the other one is currently in the process of being replaced due to a fault it developed.

Point is, these newer processors should have no issue handling FM at medium settings, and possibly more depending on how good the integrated graphics capabolity is.  For reference, the integrated graphics seem to be stronger in the AMD Ryzen chips, but for overall PC performance the Intels are still the winner overall.

Dedicated graphics cards are nice to have, and indeed will be essential for many modern games, but FM can be played with integrated graphics, and in some cases this can be at high settings.

But in terms of the point I made, the difference between the two graphics cards is unimportant for FM, as either will be able to handle it at the highest settings and not even break a sweat.

Thanks very much for the reply and the Information.

For example at Currys would an achieve be better or a gaming laptop solely for FM. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HullCity1904 said:

Thanks very much for the reply and the Information.

For example at Currys would an achieve be better or a gaming laptop solely for FM. ?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonnysnipe said:

I'm sorry this is so general but I literally have been going from awful laptop to awful laptop I want some that's going to last 3/4 years.

 

I have a budget of around 400-600 and usually like to load a max of 5 leagues and a large database.

 

FM is the only game I play I only use my laptop for that and watching the odd thing on Netflix etc.

 

I would be watching 3d engine so would want a smooth experience there.

 

I have no clue what I'm doing so any guidance would be good and I am willing to wait till black Friday/cyber Saturday for a deal as well

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-512-gb-ssd-10199732-pdt.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jonnysnipe said:

Thank you for the reply would the one at 499 be a good option as well they seem quite similar just has less storage on the 499 one

Which one?  They have quite a few at 499.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2019 at 15:11, kevhamster said:

The bottom one would probably be OK. Not fantastic, but it's an 8th gen Intel core, so it won't be terrible. 

Disregard the top one completely.  Celeron processors are awful and would run FM painfully slow. 

Thanks for the reply mate, just persuaded the Mrs to up here budget a bit for Xmas (happy days) which would you go for out of these 2 below

https://ao.com/product/81fb00chuk-lenovo-laptop-grey-71455-251.aspx

https://ao.com/product/x512daej254t-asus-laptop-grey-69163-251.aspx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Which one?  They have quite a few at 499.

Sorry should have been more specific I meant the same model but the one at 499 so the nitro 5 but there's one 100 quid cheaper and as far as I can see it's only the storage that is less 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Par7yPoison said:

It would be £560 I believe I worked it out as - but cant pay it off til January when the account is credited with the "discount". There is 15% cashback on the Currys one through Quidco though so that would be a bit cheaper in the end (although knowing Quidco theres a chance you dont necessarily get it) 

It would be used for pretty much FM, TellTale games, Planet Coaster (and maybe Zoo) plus a few older games and some officey stuff.

Yes that’s correct, you can also go through topcashback I think it’s 2% not sure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jonnysnipe said:

Sorry should have been more specific I meant the same model but the one at 499 so the nitro 5 but there's one 100 quid cheaper and as far as I can see it's only the storage that is less 

This one? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-gaming-laptop-256-gb-ssd-10189729-pdt.html

If this one, it has a different CPU and different graphics card.  I'm not a huge graphics card expert so I'm not sure which is stronger out of the two, but the one at £599.00 has a better CPU.

That said, my own laptop has the same CPU as this one and it will do the job for you.  Whilst it won't be as quick as the one at £599, it will still be a decent enough speed and will be perfectly adequate for what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leedsut1919 said:

Thanks for the reply mate, just persuaded the Mrs to up here budget a bit for Xmas (happy days) which would you go for out of these 2 below

https://ao.com/product/81fb00chuk-lenovo-laptop-grey-71455-251.aspx

https://ao.com/product/x512daej254t-asus-laptop-grey-69163-251.aspx

 

Tough one.

These don't have quite as good single core performance based on the benchmarking sites as the i3 laptop, but overall both have slightly stronger CPUs.

These will have better integrated graphics though, so it may not process FM quite as quickly, but they will run the 3D match engine a bit more smoothly at higher settings.

So, the way I would put this is, if you want a slightly faster processing speed in FM, go for the first one you linked.

If you would prefer slightly better overall PC performance and smoother 3D performance, go for either of these two.  The more expensive one of the two has a slightly better CPU, but my own laptop actually shares the same CPU as the cheaper one of these two and I find it works very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

This one? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-amd-ryzen-5-rx-560x-gaming-laptop-256-gb-ssd-10189729-pdt.html

If this one, it has a different CPU and different graphics card.  I'm not a huge graphics card expert so I'm not sure which is stronger out of the two, but the one at £599.00 has a better CPU.

That said, my own laptop has the same CPU as this one and it will do the job for you.  Whilst it won't be as quick as the one at £599, it will still be a decent enough speed and will be perfectly adequate for what you want.

That's the one thank you for your help it's hard to know whether to justify the 100 quid more when I don't know how much it would improve performance. I would run 3d probably on medium anyways and my main concern was the deterioration of the laptop. Because FM tends to kill my laptop's 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonnysnipe said:

That's the one thank you for your help it's hard to know whether to justify the 100 quid more when I don't know how much it would improve performance. I would run 3d probably on medium anyways and my main concern was the deterioration of the laptop. Because FM tends to kill my laptop's 

 

If you're struggling to justify the extra £100, then definitely go for the cheaper one.  It will still do the job for you.  It's hard to say how much difference there will be, just that the other one will definitely be a bit quicker.  As I said, I have a laptop with a similar setup to the cheaper one (same CPU, but no dedicated graphics card unlike this one) and I am perfectly happy with how it's handled FM.

Edited by kevhamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SamheinWitchKilla said:

Didn't make a purchase yet as I am thinking of just waiting til Black Friday and then getting one.

Looked at both in here that was recomended for me, are there any major differences between the two?

https://www.box.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-cx0999na_2485084.html

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000
 

The one from Argos has a newer, better CPU, which is the main difference but it does seem to have more video RAM as well. 

In this case, I think the extra £30 would be well spent. I'd definitely pick the Argos one out of the two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

The one from Argos has a newer, better CPU, which is the main difference but it does seem to have more video RAM as well. 

In this case, I think the extra £30 would be well spent. I'd definitely pick the Argos one out of the two. 

Appreciate your help once again mate, thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2019 at 10:42, kevhamster said:

If you post the actual specs of the laptop we'll be able to tell you.

Bear in mind, you will need a 64-bit OS and if the last game you played was FM15 there is a chance you're on a 32-bit system.

I have a 64-bit OS Windows 8.1

Intel Core i3-4500U CPU @ 1.70GHz 1.70GHz, guessing that is actually 2x1.7GHz Chips

4GB Ram

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TotallyQuakerz said:

I have a 64-bit OS Windows 8.1

Intel Core i3-4500U CPU @ 1.70GHz 1.70GHz, guessing that is actually 2x1.7GHz Chips

4GB Ram

Thanks

It will really struggle with that setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It will really struggle with that setup.

@Smurf thank you,

I will probably stick with FM15 till I get myself a PC sorted out...

The Laptop is good for what I need it for for FM15, I actually mess with the editor more than I do actually playing the game...love making my own fantasy leagues and competitions 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/10/2019 at 23:56, JordanMillward_1 said:

Processors nowadays have multiple cores, each of which can work independently for running a program or together to run it more efficiently. FM mainly uses a single core to run, and so it is single core speed that is the most important.

Your i7 processor is over 7 years old, and runs (from what you said) at 2.3GHz. The minimum requirements for FM now are a 2.2GHz processor, so your processor only just meets the requirements. This means that it will not run FM very quickly, as FM is a very processor-intensive game (due to all the calculations and data the game carries out), and it is difficult to replace the processor of a laptop at the best of times, and Apple computers can be very picky over what hardware is compatible with their systems.

As your older Macbook will likely not support more modern, and usually faster, processors, your only option would be to replace the Macbook with a newer one, if you wanted to run the game faster.

I've been looking into the newer MacBook Pro models and the processors are described in the same way as my 2012 one. Take a 2017 model -  "Core i7" 2.9 15-Inch (Mid-2017 Retina Display, Touch Bar, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) is powered by a 14 nm, 7th Generation "Kaby Lake" 2.9 GHz Intel "Core i7" processor (7820HQ), with four independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip"

A 2018 model - "Core i5" 2.3 13-Inch (Mid-2018 True Tone Display, Touch Bar, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) is powered by a 14 nm, 8th Generation "Coffee Lake" 2.3 GHz Intel "Core i5" processor (8259U), with four independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip"

And mine- Core i7" 2.3 15-Inch (Mid-2012/USB 3.0) features a 22 nm "Ivy Bridge" 2.3 GHz Intel "Core i7" processor (3615QM), with four independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip"

Should I be trying to avoid the 'four independent processor' models or are the 2017/18 models so much better this doesn't really matter? 

@Smurf

Thanks for both your help on this thread :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...