Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

Hi all... Finally getting round to buying a new laptop using the not so flimsy excuse that I need it for finding a new job... Thusly I have a budget of between 550-600 but will push the boat a little if needed 

Hating the search to be honest and getting increasingly annoyed at high street sellers trying to Palm off awful processors for huge prices...

Can someone point me to the best website or some great examples of the best laptops for that price that are capable of large database, multiple 'player continent' adds and 3/4 playables

Looking to buy in the next 24 hours 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paulobeef said:

Hi all... Finally getting round to buying a new laptop using the not so flimsy excuse that I need it for finding a new job... Thusly I have a budget of between 550-600 but will push the boat a little if needed 

Hating the search to be honest and getting increasingly annoyed at high street sellers trying to Palm off awful processors for huge prices...

Can someone point me to the best website or some great examples of the best laptops for that price that are capable of large database, multiple 'player continent' adds and 3/4 playables

Looking to buy in the next 24 hours 😁

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-UPGRADE-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Paulobeef said:

Hi all... Finally getting round to buying a new laptop using the not so flimsy excuse that I need it for finding a new job... Thusly I have a budget of between 550-600 but will push the boat a little if needed 

Hating the search to be honest and getting increasingly annoyed at high street sellers trying to Palm off awful processors for huge prices...

Can someone point me to the best website or some great examples of the best laptops for that price that are capable of large database, multiple 'player continent' adds and 3/4 playables

Looking to buy in the next 24 hours 😁

As an addition... Not that bothered about 3d so if that saves a little on the cost / spec needed so be it 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paulobeef said:

That's a ton cheaper than I'd found anywhere else.. would you be concerned its originally a 4gb but upgraded to 8gb at all or would it not be an issue...

Nope

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

I wanna ask a question. I want to buy a new laptop for playing Football Manager 2019 and I can't to decide which model is better.

1) LENOVO T420: 14-inch anti-glare 900p display (1600×900 resolution, 320 nits brightness), Intel Core i5 Quad Core (2.50GHz, up to 3.2GHz Turbo Boost, 3MB cache), INTEL HD dedicated graphics card 4GB DDR3, MEMORY 320GB HDD, 7200rpm WIFI/BLUETOOTH CARD READER HD webcam Modular DVD burner WINDOWS 10 /OFFICE
2) 
Fujitsu LifeBook A512: 15,6-inch 
Intel Core i3 (2.40GHz), INTEL HD dedicated graphics card 4000, 6GB DDR3, MEMORY 256GB SSD, WINDOWS 10 /OFFICE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

what are you thinking about this?
Fujitsu LifeBook A512

 

Intel® Core™ i3-3110M 2.40GHz
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (up to 1792MB)
1 SD media card reader
3 USB 2.0
1 HDMI / VGA
1 Headphone/microphone
1 LAN
DVD±RW (±R DL)

Is it acceptable for playing FM19?

Edited by CAGSEN
Yanlış yazılım

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’m after a laptop for general use, FM would be the most of my gaming use for it so top end graphics card isnt a must.

I’ll be using it for word, excel etc often with multiple programs open so it should have the capability of delaing with that.

Mainly itll be used at my desk so ill hook it up to my monitor however I will need to take it places from time to time for meetings so wont a decent size screen 14” or bigger but don’t want it to be too heavy to carry.

Disk Space 500GB should be more than enough but the more the better I suppose.

The tricky part is I only have £300-£330 to play with.

Ive looked at the following (some of which are refurbs) ive no idea if they are worth purchasing or not.

Any help will be greatly appreicated.

https://www.box.co.uk/80TD0069UK-Lenovo-V110_2376425.html

https://www.box.co.uk/1WY96EAABU-HP-255-G6_2254080.html

https://www.box.co.uk/NX.GCUEK.003-Acer-Aspire-E5-475_2252298.html

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-lenovo-g50-core-i3-4005u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-a3-len59439458/version.asp#/maindesc 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v130-15ikb-core-i3-6006u-4gb-128gb-ssd-dvd-rw-15.6-inch-full-hd-wind-81hn00h6uk/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell-inspiron-15-3567-core-i3-7020u-4gb-128gb-windows-10-15.6inch-full-hd-l-nc54m/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-320-core-i3-6006u-4gb-2tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-80xh01rguk/version.asp#/specs

I also can get the following through work

Lenovo V130-15IKB

Processor:

Intel Core i3-6006U Processor ( 2.00GHz 2133MHz 3MB )

Windows 10 Home 64

128GB SSD SATA

Intel HD Graphics 520

DVD-RW

4.0GB PC4-17000 DDR4 Soldered 2133MHz

£333

Thanks in advance

Edited by Henry_14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Henry_14 said:

I’m after a laptop for general use, FM would be the most of my gaming use for it so top end graphics card isnt a must.

I’ll be using it for word, excel etc often with multiple programs open so it should have the capability of delaing with that.

Mainly itll be used at my desk so ill hook it up to my monitor however I will need to take it places from time to time for meetings so wont a decent size screen 14” or bigger but don’t want it to be too heavy to carry.

Disk Space 500GB should be more than enough but the more the better I suppose.

The tricky part is I only have £300-£330 to play with.

Ive looked at the following (some of which are refurbs) ive no idea if they are worth purchasing or not.

Any help will be greatly appreicated.

https://www.box.co.uk/80TD0069UK-Lenovo-V110_2376425.html

https://www.box.co.uk/1WY96EAABU-HP-255-G6_2254080.html

https://www.box.co.uk/NX.GCUEK.003-Acer-Aspire-E5-475_2252298.html

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-lenovo-g50-core-i3-4005u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-a3-len59439458/version.asp#/maindesc 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-v130-15ikb-core-i3-6006u-4gb-128gb-ssd-dvd-rw-15.6-inch-full-hd-wind-81hn00h6uk/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell-inspiron-15-3567-core-i3-7020u-4gb-128gb-windows-10-15.6inch-full-hd-l-nc54m/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-ideapad-320-core-i3-6006u-4gb-2tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-80xh01rguk/version.asp#/specs

I also can get the following through work

Lenovo V130-15IKB

Processor:

Intel Core i3-6006U Processor ( 2.00GHz 2133MHz 3MB )

Windows 10 Home 64

128GB SSD SATA

Intel HD Graphics 520

DVD-RW

4.0GB PC4-17000 DDR4 Soldered 2133MHz

£333

Thanks in advance

If I'm going to be entirely honest, none of those are any good really. The processors are entry-level ones that aren't designed for gaming, and I'd definitely not pick any of the laptops with the i3 processors, as some you linked to don't actually meet the minimum requirements of the game, and the rest would barely meet the requirements.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the first one (https://www.box.co.uk/80TD0069UK-Lenovo-V110_2376425.html), as the processor is the best of the ones you linked to, and it has 8GB RAM, but with the low power processor (and it only being dual core), and only having integrated graphics, the game won't run particularly well, you're looking at bare minimum (so only a couple of leagues, small database, etc) if it can run the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty its not the end of the world about FM as i can get the ipad version if needs be. Its a bonus  if it plays, although i must admit i didnt realise it would be that limited even on a low spec laptop.

I assume theyll suffice for more general tasks wothout need to upgrade in 2 years time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Henry_14 said:

I’m after a laptop for general use, FM would be the most of my gaming use for it so top end graphics card isnt a mus£333

Thanks in advance

2

 

57 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the first one (https://www.box.co.uk/80TD0069UK-Lenovo-V110_2376425.html), as the processor is the best of the ones you linked to, and it has 8GB RAM, but with the low power processor (and it only being dual core), and only having integrated graphics, the game won't run particularly well, you're looking at bare minimum (so only a couple of leagues, small database, etc) if it can run the game

 

 

4 minutes ago, Henry_14 said:

In all honesty its not the end of the world about FM as i can get the ipad version if needs be. Its a bonus  if it plays, although i must admit i didnt realise it would be that limited even on a low spec laptop.

I assume theyll suffice for more general tasks wothout need to upgrade in 2 years time?

I'd have gone for this https://www.box.co.uk/80TD0069UK-Lenovo-V110_2376425.html

I am always bemused by people that spend all that money on an iPad and find it odd that playing on a device worth £300 is not going to cut it. 

An Ipad pro is around 700-900 quid - and if you spent that on a laptop then you'd have a much better computer. 

To be honest, if you sold your iPad and bought a Samsung Tablet, you could use the extra money left over to add to your 300 quid - possibly giving you a £600 to £800 budget.

 

If your budget is really only that low - I strongly suggest saving a bit more (possibly double) - with £600 you could get a fairly decent laptop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will an Intel UHD 620 Graphics Card be okay for FM for a few years worth of releases?

I play on 2D mostly other than replays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

 

 

I'd have gone for this https://www.box.co.uk/80TD0069UK-Lenovo-V110_2376425.html

I am always bemused by people that spend all that money on an iPad and find it odd that playing on a device worth £300 is not going to cut it. 

An Ipad pro is around 700-900 quid - and if you spent that on a laptop then you'd have a much better computer. 

To be honest, if you sold your iPad and bought a Samsung Tablet, you could use the extra money left over to add to your 300 quid - possibly giving you a £600 to £800 budget.

 

If your budget is really only that low - I strongly suggest saving a bit more (possibly double) - with £600 you could get a fairly decent laptop.

 

Well the iPad was bought a few years ago on a contract that I've long paid off and was done when I had a fully functioning computer. Hindsights a wonderful thing. Moving house is limiting what I can spend. I'll have a think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henry_14 said:

Well the iPad was bought a few years ago on a contract that I've long paid off and was done when I had a fully functioning computer. Hindsights a wonderful thing. Moving house is limiting what I can spend. I'll have a think. 

Oh I wasn't having a go at you at all, it is more of a musing I go through when I hear people have iPads and Mac Books. 

A long time ago a girl I worked with said that she wanted to buy a PC and said she had nothing but problems with it. She returned it and bought a Mac, and said it was way better. 

I asked how much she spent on the PC she said £250 and then I asked how much spent on the Mac and she said £1400... 

I just find it a bit mad.

Anyway, I wasn't to know the circumstances of the iPad - so apologies for presuming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No that's fine, perfectly reasonable thing to assume. You are correct that the iPad is relatively powerful bit of kit compared to the spec of laptop I'm looking at. Honestly hindsight is a wonderful thing, if I'd known my computer would go in a few years I'd have bought a cheap tablet and saved the cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Connor said:

Will an Intel UHD 620 Graphics Card be okay for FM for a few years worth of releases?

I play on 2D mostly other than replays

No way for us to say, but I wouldn't have said so. It might be fine for FM20 in 2D only, but after that, I'd imagine it'd be below minimum requirements or barely hitting minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I currently have an Early 2014 MacBook Air, 1.4GHz i5 processor, intel HD graphics 500, and as such it has never been great at running FM, and has struggled more with each passing year. It is currently holding up well as a laptop in general use so I'd be reluctant to replace it for another couple of years or until it breaks. Would you recommend I purchase a cheap laptop to have alongside it just to run FM? Is this possible, would a cheap laptop do a decent/better job? Or should I just bite the bullet and replace it completely with a new, similarly priced good quality laptop? Ideally in this scenario I'd want one that would be able to comfortably run the next FMs for a few years.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SLHammer said:

Hi all,

I currently have an Early 2014 MacBook Air, 1.4GHz i5 processor, intel HD graphics 500, and as such it has never been great at running FM, and has struggled more with each passing year. It is currently holding up well as a laptop in general use so I'd be reluctant to replace it for another couple of years or until it breaks. Would you recommend I purchase a cheap laptop to have alongside it just to run FM? Is this possible, would a cheap laptop do a decent/better job? Or should I just bite the bullet and replace it completely with a new, similarly priced good quality laptop? Ideally in this scenario I'd want one that would be able to comfortably run the next FMs for a few years.

Thanks.

Honestly, no. I would not recommend purchasing a cheap laptop just for FM. The reason is:

By cheap, I mean £300-£400 (maybe £500) you can't buy a good enough laptop to get a satisfying FM experience (not in 3d anyway), unless you buy a used one. If you buy it, you will end up with a laptop that will die or you will replace in a couple of years because it's ageing and another laptop who wasn't good enough in the first place. What I would do, is just buy a good enough laptop for FM that will hold up at least 3-4 years from now and keep the MacBook Air (since that one doesn't need performance to accomplish most tasks). If you can't afford to budget for a £800 laptop (that will give you a good CPU and stable 3D match representation), then I would just buy a used laptop that is very good.

For about £400 - £500 you can buy a used Lenovo Legion Y520  (I use this one since it launched 2 years ago) which has a GTX 1050 Ti and the game will be butterly smooth. Yes, I mainly play on my PC, which is much more powerful, but when I do need to play on the laptop, it's a very satisfying experience.

TLDR - Get 1 good device instead of ending up with 2 poor ones. ---------- P.S If 3D graphic engine is not important to you at all, then your costs will be even lower, but you would still need a core i5 / i7 (the full thing, not the U - underpowered models) to have a good FM experience. I hope this will help you in your decision.

Edited by SebastianRO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SebastianRO said:

Honestly, no. I would not recommend purchasing a cheap laptop just for FM. The reason is:

By cheap, I mean £300-£400 (maybe £500) you can't buy a good enough laptop to get a satisfying FM experience (not in 3d anyway), unless you buy a used one. If you buy it, you will end up with a laptop that will die or you will replace in a couple of years because it's ageing and another laptop who wasn't good enough in the first place. What I would do, is just buy a good enough laptop for FM that will hold up at least 3-4 years from now and keep the MacBook Air (since that one doesn't need performance to accomplish most tasks). If you can't afford to budget for a £800 laptop (that will give you a good CPU and stable 3D match representation), then I would just buy a used laptop that is very good.

For about £400 - £500 you can buy a Lenovo Legion Y520 (I use this one since it launched 2 years ago) which has a GTX 1050 Ti and the game will be butterly smooth. Yes, I mainly play on my PC, which is much more powerful, but when I do need to play on the laptop, it's a very satisfying experience.

TLDR - Get 1 good device instead of ending up with 2 poor ones. ---------- P.S If 3D graphic engine is not important to you at all, then your costs will be even lower, but you would still need a core i5 / i7 (the full thing, not the U - underpowered models) to have a good FM experience. I hope this will help you in your decision.

Thanks! I'll take a look at the Lenovo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

It's an okay laptop for the price, but it's nothing remarcable in this price / performance angle. What is your budget mate ?

£650 ideally 

Edited by Padders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Padders said:

£650 ideally 

1. Does it absolutly have to be new ?

2. What will you use it for ?

3. Do you want FM in 3D or 2D ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

1. Does it absolutly have to be new ?

2. What will you use it for ?

3. Do you want FM in 3D or 2D ?

 

Yeah prefer new

90% FM

yes 3D only 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Padders said:

£650 ideally 

If you can push it to £700, I'd go with this: https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/asus-tuf-fx504ge-e4031t-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8300h-2-3-ghz-4-0-ghz-turbo-quad-core-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-full-hd-display-nvidia-gf-gtx-1050ti-4gb-gddr5-dedicated-graphics-windows-10-home.html

It'll deal with FM for a number of years, and should run most new games well, and has both a larger hard-drive for storage and a smaller solid-state drive for faster boot-up and put one or two games on it to load them faster.

If £650 is a fairly hard limit, I'd go with either of these:

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/asus-tuf-fx504gd-dm040t-15-6-full-hd-laptop-intel-core-i5-8300h-2-3-ghz-4-0-ghz-turbo-quad-core-processor-nvidia-gf-gtx-1050-2gb-gddr5-dedicated-graphics-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-windows-10-home-64-bit-90nr00j1-m00580-41998.html?___SID=U - £600, will play FM well, but the graphics card is on the lower end of last generation, so you're mostly looking at medium graphics for newer games.

https://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/asus-tuf-fx504gd-dm040t-15-6-full-hd-laptop-intel-core-i5-8300h-2-3-ghz-4-0-ghz-turbo-quad-core-processor-nvidia-gf-gtx-1050-2gb-gddr5-dedicated-graphics-12gb-ram-1tb-hdd-windows-10-home-64-bit-90nr00j1-m00580.html?___SID=U - £670, same laptop as above but with more RAM, which is always nice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Padders said:

Yeah prefer new

90% FM

yes 3D only 

At £650 I could only recommend getting a used / refurbished one. That way you could get a very good laptop - possibly packing an i7 8750H or a GTX 1060. Either this, or save another 300 and then your options will expand a lot to the new laptops as opposed to buying used / refurbished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

At £650 I could only recommend getting a used / refurbished one. That way you could get a very good laptop - possibly packing an i7 8750H or a GTX 1060. Either this, or save another 300 and then your options will expand a lot to the new laptops as opposed to buying used / refurbished.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E41275T-ASUS-FX504GD-E41275T_2458989.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4603T-ASUS-FX504GD-E4603T-Gaming-Laptop_2354095.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 22:16, LukasZ_VCF said:

I have notebook Dell 7577 0058

Inter Core i7-7700HQ

128gb ssd , 1tb hdd

8gb ram (2x ddr4 dual chanel 2400mhz cl17)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti  4gb

 

 

Is there a way to check to be sure if it is worth it to buy 16GB( 2x8gb) ram so the game would be faster? I mean if now it is taking all of it or if it would allow to use more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 21:16, LukasZ_VCF said:

I have notebook Dell 7577 0058

Inter Core i7-7700HQ

128gb ssd , 1tb hdd

8gb ram (2x ddr4 dual chanel 2400mhz cl17)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti  4gb

 

Will the game speed up a lot if I will upgrate to 16gb ram or 32 gb ram ?

Not really - you may notice a slight increase as some parts of the game is in the RAM area, so maybe somewhat, whether the difference is noticeable or not is another story. 

I'm getting to the point now though where 8gb is the bare minimum and if you can upgrade to 16gb or even 32gb then it's no harm. 

However, like years ago, 4gb is standard and 8gb was excessive, likewise, these days, I'd say 8gb is standard, 16gb is more than enough, and 32gb is excessive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Is there a way to check to be sure if it is worth it to buy 16GB( 2x8gb) ram so the game would be faster? I mean if now it is taking all of it or if it would allow to use more?

I found this site before, not sure if it's reliable or not, but seems to give good advice on pairings of parts.

https://thebottlenecker.com/calculator

When I put in your components, it's saying the processor is too weak for the graphics card - not that important for FM, but on other games where the graphics card is used a lot more, you may notice it's a bit weak. 

Again, not too sure on the site for reliability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently running FM on a macbook air with i5-5250 1.6GHz, 8 GB ram and windows 10.

The game is not slow, but definitely also not fast. Main issue is that is gets really hot and the fan runs constantly, which is super annoying.  Not sure if it is solely because of FM or too many programs open at the same time.

I'd like to upgrade to something faster for FM, can be either laptop or PC, budget around USD 1,000 but can go to 1,500 if it makes a big difference. I will then keep the macbook for work. Am located in the US.

 

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Marty Juul said:

I am currently running FM on a macbook air with i5-5250 1.6GHz, 8 GB ram and windows 10.

The game is not slow, but definitely also not fast. Main issue is that is gets really hot and the fan runs constantly, which is super annoying.  Not sure if it is solely because of FM or too many programs open at the same time.

I'd like to upgrade to something faster for FM, can be either laptop or PC, budget around USD 1,000 but can go to 1,500 if it makes a big difference. I will then keep the macbook for work. Am located in the US.

 

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/i7-8750H-Processor-GeForce-Gigabit-Windows/dp/B07F6K21HJ/ref=sr_1_61?qid=1552578716&refinements=p_36%3A-150000%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A13580790011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011|2289793011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A2242801011|2423841011%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A18107821011&rnid=3012494011&s=pc&sr=1-61

Best I can find - and it's pretty sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2019 at 15:57, Marty Juul said:

Appreciate it. That should definitely be a nice upgrade,

Did you buy it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Bit of guidance would be great. I have a budget of around £750 and I'm after a 14" laptop that will play FM. I'm after long battery life as will be used alot away from home and for normal work applications etc.

So far the best overall one I have found is HP Pavilion 14 i7

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0505sa-14-intel-core-i7-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10180942-pdt.html

 

But I'm not 100% sold yet. Has anyone played FM on it? I also  would be looking to upgrade the ram to 16gb and add an additional hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

Plum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Plum89

If you are looking for great battery life, then I would suggest a laptop without a dedicated video card and an i5 CPU. FM will run well, except you would have to play in 2D. Will this be your main computer for FM or do you use another machine when you're at home ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

@Plum89

If you are looking for great battery life, then I would suggest a laptop without a dedicated video card and an i5 CPU. FM will run well, except you would have to play in 2D. Will this be your main computer for FM or do you use another machine when you're at home ?

Thanks.

 

Yeh I have a good pc at home which is fine but I'm looking for something more portable which is can start using as my main way of playing.

Would the i5 be better than the i7? I can't find any other laptops.

 

There is a HP pavilion 14 i5 version of the same laptop with intel u620 graphics would this be better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Plum89

If you want to use it as your main machine, then things get a little more complicated because gaming and long battery life don't go hand in hand, no exceptions :) Try to decide which one is that you want most and then I will make some recomendations. To answer your question, i5 is not better than i7, but it is preferable if you want a machine with long battery life. And keep in mind that the specific model of i7 you have seen in that HP, is the underpowered version, who is much weaker than a HQ or H i5, which you normally find in a gaming laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

@Plum89

If you want to use it as your main machine, then things get a little more complicated because gaming and long battery life don't go hand in hand, no exceptions :) Try to decide which one is that you want most and then I will make some recomendations. To answer your question, i5 is not better than i7, but it is preferable if you want a machine with long battery life. And keep in mind that the specific model of i7 you have seen in that HP, is the underpowered version, who is much weaker than a HQ or H i5, which you normally find in a gaming laptop.

I'm open to any laptop suggestions that are more powerful, I would prefer longer battery but something enough to play FM. Even in 3d with basic settings would do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Plum89

After I have tried to balance the cost / performance I decided to recommend you this laptop from PC Specialist. The way they configured it, is great, but you can make any modifications that you want. It has a very good GPU that will allow you to play the game in 3D high settings very smooth and the current generation i5 8300H (very powerful) along with 8GB DDR4. I would also suggest to add a 128 or 256GB M.2 SSD, just so your laptop goes blazing fast. The cost without the SSD is £770 and £798 if you do add the SSD. You can order an extra battery along with the laptop if you feel that you have to. This is the laptop I would choose if I was in your shoes, but again, it really comes down to identify which is the more pressing need: portability or gaming. If you try to mix them, usually you end up with a machine that is not really portable, nor does it play well.

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/form-view/vyper-15/Vyper-Elite/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

@Plum89

After I have tried to balance the cost / performance I decided to recommend you this laptop from PC Specialist. The way they configured it, is great, but you can make any modifications that you want. It has a very good GPU that will allow you to play the game in 3D high settings very smooth and the current generation i5 8300H (very powerful) along with 8GB DDR4. I would also suggest to add a 128 or 256GB M.2 SSD, just so your laptop goes blazing fast. The cost without the SSD is £770 and £798 if you do add the SSD. You can order an extra battery along with the laptop if you feel that you have to. This is the laptop I would choose if I was in your shoes, but again, it really comes down to identify which is the more pressing need: portability or gaming. If you try to mix them, usually you end up with a machine that is not really portable, nor does it play well.

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/form-view/vyper-15/Vyper-Elite/

Thanks, I will look into this. I would prefer a 14" however I know I will have to make some comprises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SebastianRO said:

@Plum89

After I have tried to balance the cost / performance I decided to recommend you this laptop from PC Specialist. The way they configured it, is great, but you can make any modifications that you want. It has a very good GPU that will allow you to play the game in 3D high settings very smooth and the current generation i5 8300H (very powerful) along with 8GB DDR4. I would also suggest to add a 128 or 256GB M.2 SSD, just so your laptop goes blazing fast. The cost without the SSD is £770 and £798 if you do add the SSD. You can order an extra battery along with the laptop if you feel that you have to. This is the laptop I would choose if I was in your shoes, but again, it really comes down to identify which is the more pressing need: portability or gaming. If you try to mix them, usually you end up with a machine that is not really portable, nor does it play well.

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/form-view/vyper-15/Vyper-Elite/

Looking at it from another angle z is there much difference between the hp pavilion i7 I quoted above and the i5 version below?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-ck0596sa-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-silver-10188780-pdt.html

Reason being I can get the i5 one for else than £500 with a. 256 SSD and the i7 is £750 but not sure if the price difference is worth it.

Only difference other than processor I can see is the graphics....if they were your choices what would you do?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Plum89

Overall, the difference when using these 2 laptops is, dare I say ... huge. You are looking at a dual core 2016 CPU (i5 model) and a quad core 2017 model (i7). The difference when it comes to any serious task is absolutly huge. Yes, the graphics also represent a massive difference because:

- although the MX130 is not enough to play demanding games, it's still decent if you want to play a game like FM

- having that MX130 is still better than nothing because it has 2GB dedicated video memory. This means that your 8GB of RAM will remain intact as opposed of buying the i5 model with no dedicated video memory.

If you absolutly must choose between the 2, then i strongly advise to go with the Hp you quoted initially (i7+MX130) since it provides a good enough CPU for the next 3-4 years in almost all tasks, including FM. In regards to the graphics ... it all comes down to how nice and smooth you want your experience to be. You already mentioned that you are willing to set all graphic settings down on low and that is fine, but the issue is not with the quality of the graphics in 3D, it is with the framerate. If you can get 60 FPS in 3D then you are having an enjoyable experience. If you get about 40 ... it will not be so smooth, but this is a compromise you have to make if you are opting for a ultrabook in that price range as opposed to a gaming laptop in the same price range.

Edited by SebastianRO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

@Plum89

Overall, the difference when using these 2 laptops is, dare I say ... huge. You are looking at a dual core 2016 CPU (i5 model) and a quad core 2017 model (i7). The difference when it comes to any serious task is absolutly huge. Yes, the graphics also represent a massive difference because:

- although the MX130 is not enough to play demanding games, it's still decent if you want to play a game like FM

- having that MX130 is still better than nothing because it has 2GB dedicated video memory. This means that your 8GB of RAM will remain intact as opposed of buying the i5 model with no dedicated video memory.

If you absolutly must choose between the 2, then i strongly advise to go with the Hp you quoted initially (i7+MX130) since it provides a good enough CPU for the next 3-4 years in almost all tasks, including FM. In regards to the graphics ... it all comes down to how nice and smooth you want your experience to be. You already mentioned that you are willing to set all graphic settings down on low and that is fine, but the issue is not with the quality of the graphics in 3D, it is with the framerate. If you can get 60 FPS in 3D then you are having an enjoyable experience. If you get about 40 ... it will not be so smooth, but this is a compromise you have to make if you are opting for a ultrabook in that price range as opposed to a gaming laptop in the same price range.

Thank you that's very helpful and all but made my mind up. However one issue although this is completely my fault for not double checking but I quoted the wrong i5 laptop.

 

It should have been this one: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-ce0002sa-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-silver-10180755-pdt.html

Which is the slightly newer i5.

Does this make any difference?

For me the i5 is £475 and the i7 is £755

 

But I'm leaning towards the i7 however that said FM is literally the only game I intend on playing on the laptop so the i5 quad core.may be decent.

 

I will be upgrading the ram on either machine.

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Plum89

Have a look at this video, since it showcases everything I have said:

You will get slightly better fps than in the video below, because you have more ram and can allocate more to the iGPU, even though is not the ammount of memory that matters the most. Keep in mind that in this video, the game is set at 1366x768 resolution, which is a lot less stressing than 1080p. My honest advise is: you either go for the i5 model (which is really cheap) and put up with those framerates or you go with the i7 model which will offer you slightly higher framerate, even though we can't tell exactly how many. In the case of MX series graphics cards it's tricky to give verdicts because it all depends on the manufacturer of the laptop. There are big discrepancies between 2 laptops that run the same setup and have MX150 or MX130 inside. The reason is that the manufacturer will set the clock speeds for these cards depending on how their cooling solution performs. In short, it's a gamble. You might spend more on that laptop and be satisfied (or not) or get the i5 model and know exactly what to expect.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

@Plum89

Have a look at this video, since it showcases everything I have said:

You will get slightly better fps than in the video below, because you have more ram and can allocate more to the iGPU, even though is not the ammount of memory that matters the most. Keep in mind that in this video, the game is set at 1366x768 resolution, which is a lot less stressing than 1080p. My honest advise is: you either go for the i5 model (which is really cheap) and put up with those framerates or you go with the i7 model which will offer you slightly higher framerate, even though we can't tell exactly how many. In the case of MX series graphics cards it's tricky to give verdicts because it all depends on the manufacturer of the laptop. There are big discrepancies between 2 laptops that run the same setup and have MX150 or MX130 inside. The reason is that the manufacturer will set the clock speeds for these cards depending on how their cooling solution performs. In short, it's a gamble. You might spend more on that laptop and be satisfied (or not) or get the i5 model and know exactly what to expect.

 

Thank you, this is very helpful. I may plump for the i5 given the price as it probably offers the best overall spec/price and performance I'm looking for but will decide tonight. 

 

Thanks👍👍👍👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a laptop for a bit of work use, but being able to play FM would be nice to have. I already own a PC and would only look at using this for work, Netflix and FM. 

Looking at no more than £400, ideally closer to £300. Don't mind if it's a refurb as long as good quality and it comes with a warranty. 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...