Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

It's good specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One issue I found was repeated crash dumps, but I have since updated the drivers and all appears fine.

Very efficient and can fly through the game now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smurf said:

It's good specs.

was that for me? is it a good price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

was that for me? is it a good price?

Yep for you.

The price is the price - if you can pay it and it's in your budget then go for it.

What is your budget?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Yep for you.

The price is the price - if you can pay it and it's in your budget then go for it.

What is your budget?

if my budget was 10k and it cost 8k, would you still say go for it? I'm asking is it a good computer for the money. I'm looking to spend no more than 1000. Can I get a better one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcp1417 said:

if my budget was 10k and it cost 8k, would you still say go for it? I'm asking is it a good computer for the money. I'm looking to spend no more than 1000. Can I get a better one?

10k? What currency? Where are you buying from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jamalam26 said:

Hi, 

Would this laptop be more than adequate for quick processing times in Fm19, only a couple leagues loaded etc with a medium database! Not bothered at all about graphics 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7307823

cheers

It's ok - a bit on the older side 

This is newer and approx same price https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-E4603T-ASUS-FX504GD-E4603T-Gaming-Laptop_2354095.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the current best desktop CPU under 300 for FM?

I was planning on getting a ryzen 2600/2700(x) for general use and gaming but after reading through this forum and other sources it seems that intel processors are better for FM (and gaming in general?).

A Core i5 9600k costs about as much as a Ryzen 2700.

Which should i get for now and how will either of them fare in future FM's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hxp said:

What's the current best desktop CPU under 300 for FM?

I was planning on getting a ryzen 2600/2700(x) for general use and gaming but after reading through this forum and other sources it seems that intel processors are better for FM (and gaming in general?).

A Core i5 9600k costs about as much as a Ryzen 2700.

Which should i get for now and how will either of them fare in future FM's?

FM still processes a lot of things in the single thread - here's a list of best single thread performance

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smurf said:

10k? What currency? Where are you buying from? 

it was a hypothetical to your response of if you can afford it. All I'm asking is if the price listed in my initial post is fair for the hardware I'd be getting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

it was a hypothetical to your response of if you can afford it. All I'm asking is if the price listed in my initial post is fair for the hardware I'd be getting

Oh right... well I can't find anything the same for cheaper, and I can't build one for any cheaper anywhere else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 9 Stunden schrieb Smurf:

FM still processes a lot of things in the single thread - here's a list of best single thread performance

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Do you think future FM's will start to utilize multi-threading more? All those intel processors that are topping this list could become more or less obsolete if that happens. FM has already has become more demanding in the past years but multi-theading support would open up a lot of possibilites for SI to push it even further. It's probably going to take some time but it's still a scary thought, i want my PC to last for atleast 5 years.

Edited by hxp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hxp said:

Do you think future FM's will start to utilize multi-threading more? All those intel processors that are topping this list could become more or less obsolete if that happens. FM has already has become more demanding in the past years but multi-theading support would open up a lot of possibilites for SI to push it even further. It's probably going to take some time but it's still a scary thought, i want my PC to last for atleast 5 years.

Even if you went for an 8300h or 8750h You would get five years easily. 

I don't know when fm will start utilising multi core that's really a question for FM staff.

I asked before about this and ihave an answer in my inbox relating to it. 

A lot of people play on older machines and SI have the stats on people computer that play the game.

Check the opening post too for a link to notebookchecker.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Smurf said:

So should I put some 'you can wait' pants on and order online or are the diff between the above and the ones you linked for 499 worth waiting for - in your opinion?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nastymiller said:

So should I put some 'you can wait' pants on and order online or are the diff between the above and the ones you linked for 499 worth waiting for - in your opinion?

Thanks.

Approx the same - no need to wait if you can go instore and pick it up today.

But, if you have 'you can wait' pants then I think you should save bit more and get something a bit better.

Now this is 529 - and it has 4gb of RAM (which I don't think is enough you'd need to upgrade it sooner rather than later).

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM1276T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457791.html

Or this is 600 - with the 8gb RAM - https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-UPGRADE-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

I'd highly recommend the 600 one, if you can.

Or this - it would be 2nd hand though https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=SLAPACEAN51552010B&sku=SLAPACEAN51552010B&ref=pricespy&utm_source=pricespy&utm_campaign=pricespy&utm_medium=cpc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8437589

girlfriend has surprised me with this one. Out of stock but collect on Monday. Is she waisting her pennies? I don’t think I have the heart to pull faces and say it’s **** or anything like that. 

Does she deserve a special kiss xxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, padlee said:

If i just play fm19 fantasy draft does the cpu needs to be high as well?

I don't know what this is.

21 minutes ago, nastymiller said:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8437589

girlfriend has surprised me with this one. Out of stock but collect on Monday. Is she waisting her pennies? I don’t think I have the heart to pull faces and say it’s **** or anything like that. 

Does she deserve a special kiss xxxx

It's the best thing in the entire world!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I don't know what this is.

It's the best thing in the entire world!!! 

So the pc world one is a little better ;-) as she says she will get refund and get that one. 

Shes a keeper lol. 

Cheers smurf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

I don't know what this is.

It’s the network game mode which each player draft his own players and compete with another players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, looking for a decent all round laptop. Addicted to playing FM as well. Need advice if this laptop is any good? And will it run FM well? Or any good recommendations on 2 in 1 laptops to run FM? Price range upto £1000

 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/dell/dell-inspiron-15-7000-15-6-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop/336866/

Edited by Lukeyardley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lukeyardley said:

Hey, looking for a decent all round laptop. Addicted to playing FM as well. Need advice if this laptop is any good? And will it run FM well? Or any good recommendations on 2 in 1 laptops to run FM? Price range upto £1000

 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/dell/dell-inspiron-15-7000-15-6-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop/336866/

You say your price range is up to £1000 -but this one is £1999?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lukeyardley said:

Thank you. But what would be the best 2 in 1 laptop on the market that you would recommend? I also heard the go for AMD Ryzen over Intel Core, is that true or doesn’t really matter? 

 

Would something like this run FM at a good speed?

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/lenovo-yoga-530-0c-14-inch-2-in-1-laptop.html

I think for Fm it would be a waste of money - the one Linked to is far superior for the same price. 

Whoever advised you that AMD over Intel is talking nonsense - there are some AMDs (later models) better than intel, but it completely depends on the model. Typically, until recently Intel were always superior to AMD, AMD is catching up, and there are some AMDs better than Intel - but they are more expensive. 

Here's a list of processors the higher on the list the better

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

You can see the Thread Ripper takes the 1st 4 slots, an amazing processor - but for very expensive gaming laptops. 

 

The one I am recommending for you is 23rd on that list - and the graphics card is far superior than anything in a 2-1 in laptop. 

For 2-1 processors - number 42 on the list - 50-52, 82 etc. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking to replace my current desktop pc. I have a price range of £500. Is there something around that I would be able to run a lot of leagues and have fast processing times, while also being able to play other more graphical games well. I'm thinking of Battlefield, Fortnite etc.

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Watson156 said:

I am looking to replace my current desktop pc. I have a price range of £500. Is there something around that I would be able to run a lot of leagues and have fast processing times, while also being able to play other more graphical games well. I'm thinking of Battlefield, Fortnite etc.

Thanks

 

For 500, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Watson156 said:

How much more would I be looking at?

It depends how well you want the PC to play the likes of Battlefield (which is a hardware intensive game).

The minimum I'd go for is about £700 to play it on low/medium, and you'd be looking at about £1000-£1500, depending on the build, to play it on full graphics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

It depends how well you want the PC to play the likes of Battlefield (which is a hardware intensive game).

The minimum I'd go for is about £700 to play it on low/medium, and you'd be looking at about £1000-£1500, depending on the build, to play it on full graphics

Battlefield I'm not too fussed about as I only play it 2-3 times a week. The main use would be FM, surfing the web & music.

Would something like this be any good if I was going to spend £800 ish?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/pc-specialist-tornado-r5-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1060-gaming-pc-1-tb-hdd-10181369-pdt.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Watson156 said:

Battlefield I'm not too fussed about as I only play it 2-3 times a week. The main use would be FM, surfing the web & music.

Would something like this be any good if I was going to spend £800 ish?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/pc-specialist-tornado-r5-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1060-gaming-pc-1-tb-hdd-10181369-pdt.html

That'd do a decent job, yea.

If you could afford another £25, I found this one for £825 - https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/VR-Ready-Deal-GTX-1060

Has a better processor, and the upgraded version of the graphics card in the PC you linked, as well as an SSD hard-drive for Windows to allow for the PC to boot up faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

That'd do a decent job, yea.

If you could afford another £25, I found this one for £825 - https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/VR-Ready-Deal-GTX-1060

Has a better processor, and the upgraded version of the graphics card in the PC you linked, as well as an SSD hard-drive for Windows to allow for the PC to boot up faster.

Brilliant thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf,

I'm looking to get a new laptop to run FM19 - probably about 13 leagues across 6 nations with a medium database for about 50 or so game years.

I've got a budget of $2100 NZD which is 1050 GBP, but then found the below laptop reduced from $2100 down to $1699. It looks like a really good deal to me, and just wanted to check the specs with you based on my needs. Thanks in advance! :)

https://www.justlaptops.co.nz/msi-gl63-8rc-203au-i7-8750h-15-6-fhd-16gb-128gb-ssd-1tb-7k2-gtx1050-4gb-11257?search=gl63&description=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, chickenator88 said:

Hi Smurf,

I'm looking to get a new laptop to run FM19 - probably about 13 leagues across 6 nations with a medium database for about 50 or so game years.

I've got a budget of $2100 NZD which is 1050 GBP, but then found the below laptop reduced from $2100 down to $1699. It looks like a really good deal to me, and just wanted to check the specs with you based on my needs. Thanks in advance! :)

https://www.justlaptops.co.nz/msi-gl63-8rc-203au-i7-8750h-15-6-fhd-16gb-128gb-ssd-1tb-7k2-gtx1050-4gb-11257?search=gl63&description=1

Yep, that's a nice one. You won't get better than that for the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys.

i’m looking for a new PC to run FM19. I’d like to be able to run the English, German, French, Italian and Spanish leagues as playable as a minimum, but wouldn’t mind being able to add the Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Brazilian and Argentinian on top of that. The latter ones aren’t essential as I tend to run a fair few on view only anyway, but being able to do so would be a nice bonus. I tend to watch matches in 2D, but the ability to do so in 3D would be nice to have as an option. But, again, not essential.

I’ve found something with the following spec and would like some idea of how it will perform:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz Six Core processing performance

Graphics Card: AMD RX 580 8GB

RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance (2 x 8GB) 300Mhz DDR4

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, funnylittlefrog said:

Hi guys.

i’m looking for a new PC to run FM19. I’d like to be able to run the English, German, French, Italian and Spanish leagues as playable as a minimum, but wouldn’t mind being able to add the Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Brazilian and Argentinian on top of that. The latter ones aren’t essential as I tend to run a fair few on view only anyway, but being able to do so would be a nice bonus. I tend to watch matches in 2D, but the ability to do so in 3D would be nice to have as an option. But, again, not essential.

I’ve found something with the following spec and would like some idea of how it will perform:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz Six Core processing performance

Graphics Card: AMD RX 580 8GB

RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance (2 x 8GB) 300Mhz DDR4

Any advice would be much appreciated.

That CPU, graphics card and RAM would be fine running with all the leagues you wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All, 

I have recently had an IMac which i have just sold so have a budget of around £700 - 850 for a really good laptop, FM ran perfectly on the Imac so looking for something that is going to run FM well for at least the next couple of years anyway. Usually play 8 leagues at one time, don't use 3d but always play 2D so good graphics card i'm assuming is essential. 

I literally have no idea when it comes to technology and what is good, what is not.

I was offered this by Dell for £736 but not sure If I could get better with what I would be paying them :

Inspiron 15 5000 Series-5580
8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.9 GHz) 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-glare LED-Backlit Narrow Border Display Siver Palmrest with Fingerprint
Silver Non Touch FHD
8GB, 8GBx1, DDR4, 2666MHz
128GB PCIe NVMe SSD
1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive
65 Watt AC Adapter
UK Power Cord
42WHr, 3-Cell Battery (Integrated)
NVIDIAR GeForceR MX150 2GB GDDR5
802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
SSD bracket
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Non Backlit Keyboard
McAfee(R) 30day Trial
Shipping Box

Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit), English, Dutch, French, German, Italian Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial - Excludes Office License
McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription

 

Or I seen a few others if people wouldn't mind having a look please :

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-omen-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182218-pdt.html

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-predator-helios-300-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-ti-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10180726-pdt.html

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cx0513na-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-ti-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10189727-pdt.html

 

Thanks so much 

Edited by darren1589

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Yep, that's a nice one. You won't get better than that for the price.

Thanks Jordan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darren1589 said:

Hi All, 

I have recently had an IMac which i have just sold so have a budget of around £700-750 for a really good laptop, FM ran perfectly on the Imac so looking for something that is going to run FM well for at least the next couple of years anyway. Usually play 8 leagues at one time, don't use 3d but always play 2D so good graphics card i'm assuming is essential. 

I literally have no idea when it comes to technology and what is good, what is not.

I was offered this by Dell for £736 but not sure If I could get better with what I would be paying them :

Inspiron 15 5000 Series-5580
8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.9 GHz) 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-glare LED-Backlit Narrow Border Display Siver Palmrest with Fingerprint

Nah.

I'd go for this if you can stretch https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/N580GD-DM230T-Asus-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580GD-DM230T_2358244.html

Or if you can't either of these 3 - longer battery life in the Acer - but more storage in the other 2.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX705GD-EW101T-ASUS-TUF-FX705GD-EW101T_2449817.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.H23EK.001-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-72G-56HN_2477651.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX505GD-BQ112T-ASUS-TUF-FX505GD-BQ112T_2449816.html

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Thanks so much for the reply mate ! really clueless about these sort of things ! 

Is Asus a good make to go for then? would the processor be ok too ? I'm sure I saw FM specs said processor to be 2.2Ghz and this one is 2.2Ghz too, would that make it a bit slow as it's just on the bare minimum ?

Would they be better than the 3 from PC world that I had put on my post earlier, just asking as it said they were 'gaming' laptops.

 

cheers 

Edited by darren1589

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, darren1589 said:

Thanks so much for the reply mate ! really clueless about these sort of things ! 

Is Asus a good make to go for then? would the processor be ok too ? I'm sure I saw FM specs said processor to be 2.2Ghz and this one is 2.2Ghz too, would that make it a bit slow as it's just on the bare minimum ?

Would they be better than the 3 from PC world that I had put on my post earlier, just asking as it said they were 'gaming' laptops.

 

cheers 

Asus are fine yes. 

Yes the processor is much better - the one you had asked about the 8265U is only 1.6ghz and designed to run on the lower of the speeds when under stress, such as heavy processing that FM requires.

They are the same as the others you posted - just a bit cheaper. 

As you say - you only play 2d anyway - so go for one of the 3 others I posted earlier. Depends on whether you want more battery life or more storage, which is more important?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Asus are fine yes. 

Yes the processor is much better - the one you had asked about the 8265U is only 1.6ghz and designed to run on the lower of the speeds when under stress, such as heavy processing that FM requires.

They are the same as the others you posted - just a bit cheaper. 

As you say - you only play 2d anyway - so go for one of the 3 others I posted earlier. Depends on whether you want more battery life or more storage, which is more important?

 

Hi Mate, 

Ok last questions. The Asus one you recommended, it's processor says 2.2GHZ with boost to 4.1Ghz and the processor is an i7, however i had been looking at this one also and the processor seems to be just slightly higher but with an i5 processor, would that one be ok too do you think or would it not be as good as the i7 ? ? https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-omen-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182218-pdt.html

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...