Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Smurf

New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, shaunwwfc said:

So that is more of a game issue than system its ran on?

Thanks for the post on save on laptops

Would it be a fair assumption to make that if I run nothing in 3D on FM then a dedicated graphics card would not be needed?

What is the main difference (FM wise) between a "U" processor and a "H" or "HQ" processor ? Would a "H" in an 4th or 5th gen in i3 be better than a i7 7 gen "u"? Hope that makes sense!

True - it's just a heads up about your game you may end up seeing quality players without a club.

I believe even the 2D match engine runs off the graphics card now - so best to future proof. Even without a dedicated graphics card the price is quite high for a decent laptop.

 

FM wise - it's processor intensive, so you want your processor to work under high stress loads, which FM is, and the more career years the more intensive the processing (because of accumulation of data), so a U processor, U stands for Ultra-Low Power which has a low Thermal Design Power (TDP). The processor will go to a lower frequency (ghz speed) in order to conserve power and prevent the chip from getting too hot.

 

H is for high performance graphics

HQ is for high performance graphics quad core

HK is high performance graphics unlocked

Breakdown here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Huston said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i5-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-120gb-solid-state-drive-gray-black/6289118.p?skuId=6289118

This is my pc, will it run FM 19 well? As in fairly quick advancing and such, as I intend on a very long save. Possibly 100+ years 

Aye, that should be fine for what you're asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Huston said:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i5-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hard-drive-120gb-solid-state-drive-gray-black/6289118.p?skuId=6289118

This is my pc, will it run FM 19 well? As in fairly quick advancing and such, as I intend on a very long save. Possibly 100+ years 

 

5 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Aye, that should be fine for what you're asking.

Just to echo @JordanMillward_1 - that should be perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm after a new laptop that will run FM19 fairly well and has a decent enough spec in general. My initial budget was £400-£500 but I have seen this laptop priced at £560 which looks promising, please let me know what you think.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KV9J1PG/ref=asc_df_B07KV9J1PG58490999/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B07KV9J1PG&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310844894820&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10636146783610897215&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006532&hvtargid=pla-609796338378&th=1&psc=1

Edited by Newgenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully it means more of those kinds of chips come out to give a cheaper option for those that don't want to shell out hundreds of pounds on a card with 8 fans, 4 wheels, tea-making facilities and 4 million gaudy LEDs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Newgenn said:

IT will work for FM - but I have no idea what your expecatations are for game play.

3 hours ago, happypeps* said:

Hopefully it means more of those kinds of chips come out to give a cheaper option for those that don't want to shell out hundreds of pounds on a card with 8 fans, 4 wheels, tea-making facilities and 4 million gaudy LEDs

What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Smurf said:

 

Just to echo @JordanMillward_1 - that should be perfectly fine.

Oh ok. I know some PCs it gets way too slow with all leagues and such so am scared of that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Huston said:

Oh ok. I know some PCs it gets way too slow with all leagues and such so am scared of that 

This is same price but the graphics card is slightly less - but a better processor

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-element-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-2tb-hard-drive-240gb-solid-state-drive-black/6318347.p?skuId=6318347

The graphics card would be fine for FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

This is same price but the graphics card is slightly less - but a better processor

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-element-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-2tb-hard-drive-240gb-solid-state-drive-black/6318347.p?skuId=6318347

The graphics card would be fine for FM.

True. I already have this pc is why I asked about it specifically, was making sure I was fine before I buy the game and get disappointed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Huston said:

True. I already have this pc is why I asked about it specifically, was making sure I was fine before I buy the game and get disappointed 

Ah ok. No you won't be disappointed. 

Hope it also helps others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2019 at 09:06, Smurf said:

This is an excellent deal! And saves you some too :)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM1276T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457791.html

 

 

Think along the lines of fastest single core performance

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Completely overkill though for 10-15 leagues - depends on how long you want a career - after 100 years in the game the database is quite beefy so longer processing etc in that regard. File size is a lot larger. 

But if you're only playing for 10-20 seasons then a high end processor is completely wasteful - but if you have the money then why not, right.

Someone at SI I think it was @EdL is best positioned to answer your specific query on processors - but as far as I know Notebook Check is a good guide to the best processors

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

 

Yeh it wouldn't be bad - any reason for the 14 inch?

See the link above for the Save On Laptops one from earlier, it's cheaper and better.

 

 

Thank you Smurf I have ordered the one you suggested! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone used the latest Huawei Matebook X Pro wit FM19 yet?

If not, is anyone playing FM19 on a laptop with a screen resolution? i.e. QHD, 3K, 4K etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/02/2019 at 13:04, wkdsoul said:

What software are  you using for recording guitar? 

The middle one there is the best of the 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't played fm in a year or two now.

Been considering picking up fm19 but not sure how well my laptop would run it; fm16 always ran ok with a decent amount of leagues but the fan would always sound a bit nuts.

If anyone has similar specs to me or any insight into how well my laptop would run it id appreciate it?

 

-HP intel i36167u.

-8gb ram.

-iris graphics 6100.

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sirj09 said:

How good is this laptop for FM? https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-DM1276T-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457791.html

I don’t play with multiple countries I only manage in England with a large database. I want it to be future proof for future fm games. If there is a better laptop at the same price please let me know. Thanks in advance 

Bit low on the RAM side of things, but you can pick up RAM cheaply these days. 

The 8gb RAM version is available

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-UPGRADE-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

 

49 minutes ago, EThomas said:

Haven't played fm in a year or two now.

Been considering picking up fm19 but not sure how well my laptop would run it; fm16 always ran ok with a decent amount of leagues but the fan would always sound a bit nuts.

If anyone has similar specs to me or any insight into how well my laptop would run it id appreciate it?

 

-HP intel i36167u.

-8gb ram.

-iris graphics 6100.

 

Cheers!

Probably ok. If your fans are struggling, buy a can of compressed air and blow out all the vents. 

Invest in a laptop cooler, if anything, it will keep raised from dusty surfaces/couches/tables etc so less chance of fans getting clogged.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Bit low on the RAM side of things, but you can pick up RAM cheaply these days. 

The 8gb RAM version is available

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-UPGRADE-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

 

Probably ok. If your fans are struggling, buy a can of compressed air and blow out all the vents. 

Invest in a laptop cooler, if anything, it will keep raised from dusty surfaces/couches/tables etc so less chance of fans getting clogged.

 

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll give it a go. Due an upgrade later in the year anyway.

Nice one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Bit low on the RAM side of things, but you can pick up RAM cheaply these days. 

The 8gb RAM version is available

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-UPGRADE-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

 

Probably ok. If your fans are struggling, buy a can of compressed air and blow out all the vents. 

Invest in a laptop cooler, if anything, it will keep raised from dusty surfaces/couches/tables etc so less chance of fans getting clogged.

 

Thanks Smurf. Other than the ram, the laptop is well suited for fm and futer proofed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sirj09 said:

Thanks Smurf. Other than the ram, the laptop is well suited for fm and futer proofed?

Yes, it would be good for the price. Typically in searching the next one up is the i7 8750H

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/N580GD-DM230T-Asus-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580GD-DM230T_2358244.html

But this has a similar (slightly better) performance rating for the Single Thread performance as the 8300H.

As FM is largely based on single thread performance (a large portion of the game is not done in multi-core - so having more cores/threads isn't really an advantage).

For this reason, the 8300H is a viable alternative the 8750H and saves a lot of cash.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Yes, it would be good for the price. Typically in searching the next one up is the i7 8750H

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/N580GD-DM230T-Asus-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580GD-DM230T_2358244.html

But this has a similar (slightly better) performance rating for the Single Thread performance as the 8300H.

As FM is largely based on single thread performance (a large portion of the game is not done in multi-core - so having more cores/threads isn't really an advantage).

For this reason, the 8300H is a viable alternative the 8750H and saves a lot of cash.

 

 

Thanks again mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Smurf said:

What software are  you using for recording guitar? 

The middle one there is the best of the 3.

Reaper or Ableton for now... 

Edited by wkdsoul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you advise me which of these laptops is better for FM, I assume both can run the game in 3D??

 

Acer Swift 5 SF514-52T Notebook - (Intel Core i7-8550U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14" FHD IPS Multi-touch Display, Blue)
 
HP Pavilion 17-ab404na 17.3 Inch FHD Gaming Laptop - (Black) (Intel i7-8750H, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Plus 128 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics, 4 GB Dedicated, Windows 10 Home
 
 
Thanks for your help, both laptops come in at under £500 that's a reasonable price yes?
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you advise me which of these laptops is better for FM, I assume both can run the game in 3D??

 

Acer Swift 5 SF514-52T Notebook - (Intel Core i7-8550U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14" FHD IPS Multi-touch Display, Blue)
 
HP Pavilion 17-ab404na 17.3 Inch FHD Gaming Laptop - (Black) (Intel i7-8750H, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Plus 128 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics, 4 GB Dedicated, Windows 10 Home
 
 
Thanks for your help, both laptops come in at under £500 that's a reasonable price yes?
 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jim owen said:

Can you advise me which of these laptops is better for FM, I assume both can run the game in 3D??

 

Acer Swift 5 SF514-52T Notebook - (Intel Core i7-8550U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14" FHD IPS Multi-touch Display, Blue)
 
HP Pavilion 17-ab404na 17.3 Inch FHD Gaming Laptop - (Black) (Intel i7-8750H, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Plus 128 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics, 4 GB Dedicated, Windows 10 Home
 
 
Thanks for your help, both laptops come in at under £500 that's a reasonable price yes?
 
 
 

The second one, as the first doesn't appear to have a dedicated graphics card, which the second one does, as well as it having more hard drive space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which Dell laptops are good for football manager apart from the G models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

The second one, as the first doesn't appear to have a dedicated graphics card, which the second one does, as well as it having more hard drive space.

Thanks, so the second one will run fm fine then, including 3d?

 

What is everyone else's opinion on which to get?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jim owen said:

Thanks, so the second one will run fm fine then, including 3d?

 

What is everyone else's opinion on which to get?

Yea, the second one will blitz FM easily, and get you decent graphical settings on most new triple A games out at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

Reaper or Ableton for now... 

Should be fine.

12 hours ago, jim owen said:

Can you advise me which of these laptops is better for FM, I assume both can run the game in 3D??

Acer Swift 5 SF514-52T Notebook - (Intel Core i7-8550U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14" FHD IPS Multi-touch Display, Blue)
 
HP Pavilion 17-ab404na 17.3 Inch FHD Gaming Laptop - (Black) (Intel i7-8750H, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB Plus 128 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics, 4 GB Dedicated, Windows 10 Home
 
Thanks for your help, both laptops come in at under £500 that's a reasonable price yes?
 

2nd one

10 hours ago, amer said:

Which Dell laptops are good for football manager apart from the G models.

What's your budget?

9 hours ago, jim owen said:

Thanks, so the second one will run fm fine then, including 3d?

What is everyone else's opinion on which to get?

2nd one definitely!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

Should be fine.

2nd one

2nd one definitely!

Sods  law, both of them laptops have jumped in price since yesterday, the second one is now £900 well above my price range. What's the best laptop I can get for FM for under £500. Only really play fm and occasionally civ 6

 

Thanks for any help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jim owen said:

Sods  law, both of them laptops have jumped in price since yesterday, the second one is now £900 well above my price range. What's the best laptop I can get for FM for under £500. Only really play fm and occasionally civ 6

 

Thanks for any help

Prob this for under 500 - https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/81BL008KUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-520s_2277807.html

But I don't think it would play civ 6. 

You'd need to stretch to this https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GD-UPGRADE-ASUS-FX504GD-DM1276T_2457792.html

 

This is refurbished if you're ok with that https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JZFWLBL/ref=asc_df_B07JZFWLBL1549411200000/?tag=pjuk-marketplace-21&creative=22374&creativeASIN=B07JZFWLBL&linkCode=df0&smid=A29YYUEB1ILVKJ

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Thanks for the help, I'll check them out. 

 

Appreciate the support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Should be fine.

2nd one

What's your budget?

2nd one definitely!

 

18 hours ago, amer said:

Which Dell laptops are good for football manager apart from the G models.

£700-£800

 

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Should be fine.

2nd one

What's your budget?

2nd one definitely!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smurf said:

Should be fine.

Cheers, managed to grab a refurbed Alienware 17. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amer said:

Smurf what’s your opinions on the MacBook Air for football manager if it’s only 2D. Can you tell me on yours views on the link below or shall go for the MacBook Pro version.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air/space-grey-1.6ghz-dual-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-3.6ghz-256gb

Terrible waste of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Smurf,

My budget is around £500, and im simply just looking for a laptop to play FM (and store my iTunes on). I use the internet on my phone/iPad so no real need for that.

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated.

cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

Terrible waste of money.

ouch Simon Cowell style response lool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, amer said:

ouch Simon Cowell style response lool

So then which apple device will be good to use at the present moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, James__Curtis said:

Hi Smurf,

My budget is around £500, and im simply just looking for a laptop to play FM (and store my iTunes on). I use the internet on my phone/iPad so no real need for that.

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated.

cheers.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/81BL008KUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-520s_2277807.html

I posted a link to a better one above it's refurbished though.

7 hours ago, amer said:

ouch Simon Cowell style response lool

Well it's true.

7 hours ago, amer said:

So then which apple device will be good to use at the present moment.

They are all ok - just expensive for what's under the hood. 

How much do you really want to spend? Why a Mac? You could buy an amazing Windows laptop for that money.

For the record, I work on Macs everyday. I'm not 'anti-Mac' or anything like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smurf said:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/81BL008KUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-520s_2277807.html

I posted a link to a better one above it's refurbished though.

Well it's true.

They are all ok - just expensive for what's under the hood. 

How much do you really want to spend? Why a Mac? You could buy an amazing Windows laptop for that money.

For the record, I work on Macs everyday. I'm not 'anti-Mac' or anything like that.

Reason being cause John Lewis offering 18 month 0% payments which is really good. Plus it’s a light laptop to carry but I’m only gonna use for 2D mostly. But then I was thinking about the XPS 15 which is my second choice or a dell Inspiron. FM is the only game I will be playing so don’t really need much of a gaming laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, amer said:

Reason being cause John Lewis offering 18 month 0% payments which is really good. Plus it’s a light laptop to carry but I’m only gonna use for 2D mostly. But then I was thinking about the XPS 15 which is my second choice or a dell Inspiron. FM is the only game I will be playing so don’t really need much of a gaming laptop.

Then why spend so much on a laptop? 

Here's a 14 inch similar specs to Mac 13 inch

The specification below has been formatted so you can easily copy and paste this to our forums when discussing your specification. Once you've copied the specification, please click here to continue. click here to continue.
Chassis & Display
Lafité Series: Aluminium Chassis: 14" Matte Full HD IPS LED (1920 x 1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-8565U (1.80GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)

Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)


Price £930.00 including VAT and Delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.ie/saved-configurations/lafiteiii-14/pmurtuJnAK/

=================

The Mac version - if you put 16 gb RAM and up the storage to 512gb (as per the one I put together) the price is £1779 

and the processor is an i5 - of lesser speed.

 

The processor in the Mac is the i5-8210Y - and the one I have selected is the i7-8565U

The graphics in the Mac is the UHD 617 and the one I have selected is the UHD620 - a tiny bit better.

 

Why pay more for less?

 

Of course - it's completely up to you - the Mac is a fine computer - it's just the price that gets me.

Granted the Windows machine won't last as long as the Mac when not plugged in - but if you're  mostly plugged in - or only travelling for a couple of hours. 

 

If you're travelling more then perhaps I can find something with a bit more battery oomph. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gilberto Silva said:

I'd go for the 2nd one - may struggle if too many leagues loaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laptop has finally whispered to me 'pleeeease, let me go' and has gone into the light - many tears have been shed.

I only have a budget of £500 and don't think I can last long to save up and get something - so with that in mind, does anyone know of any decent deals out and about at the moment - only to be used for FM to be honest.

I live in hope someone can find something for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nastymiller said:

Laptop has finally whispered to me 'pleeeease, let me go' and has gone into the light - many tears have been shed.

I only have a budget of £500 and don't think I can last long to save up and get something - so with that in mind, does anyone know of any decent deals out and about at the moment - only to be used for FM to be honest.

I live in hope someone can find something for me.

A few suggestions just prior to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nastymiller said:

@Smurf - seen, sorry for being lazy...….thank you.

No bother - didn't want to be posting loads of links all over the forum, could have confused people. But yeh, looked at 500 pound laptops there recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this quote from Dell. Ian this a good deal?

thank you very much for providing this thread with technical knowledge 

$950=€838=£729 as of now

 

872459D9-1A04-41B6-B23E-22FE3DC5DA9A.jpeg

Edited by jcp1417

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...