Sports Interactive Community

I am after some help to try and correct my formation to get my striker to score goals. I have been having this problem with every team i have managed using this formation. So hopefully on here someone can help. 

I have attached screenshots of my current tactic and set up as well. 

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.06.png

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.22.png

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.29.png

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.38.png

For a start, you've got a supporting lone striker, try a more offensive role if you want him as your main man (AF(A), CF(A), P(A) etc.

Its just a traffic jam in the centre.  Central playmakers, inside forwards cutting into the middle and the striker dropping into the midfield due to his F9 role.  Add in the high engagement and pressing...there is no room to play in.  The gegenpressing and vertical tiki taka presets seem to be taking a lot of managers towards overcrowding the centre middle.  I don't know if there is a ME issue or not but a lot of setups posted at the moment contain similar problems to this one.  Some conflicting instructions and then this scrum in zone 14.

Picture2.thumb.png.6becb2e3864edfcffc11c3cf210e816a.png

4 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Its just a traffic jam in the centre.  Central playmakers, inside forwards cutting into the middle and the striker dropping into the midfield due to his F9 role.  Add in the high engagement and pressing...there is no room to play in.  The gegenpressing and vertical tiki taka presets seem to be taking a lot of managers towards overcrowding the centre middle.  I don't know if there is a ME issue or not but a lot of setups posted at the moment contain similar problems to this one.  Some conflicting instructions and then this scrum in zone 14.

Picture2.thumb.png.6becb2e3864edfcffc11c3cf210e816a.png

I've tried possession football as well and kept around 60% possession against all teams. (which is absurd with a newly promoted Swansea team) and came across the same issue, however even playing on attack extremely wide doesn't help opening up and channels and neither does playing with wings. I had some minor success with playing extremely wide and using wingers and then using inverted fullbacks, however most of the time they ended up just running in on goal and putting the ball out for touch with their shots :lol:.

Watching a few games on Full Match it seems to me like the front 3 players aren't moving at all and the playmaker(s) aren't even trying to make something happen. It's not like I just wasn't seeing the passes that didn't come off because I was watching highlights, they simply weren't even trying anything, but this also seemed to be the result of poor movement by the front 3.

Edit* Tactic was also tried using Man City to rule out poor player performances. Same issues, 1 or 2 more goals due to solo efforts. 

Edited by Jdn

@Jdn you may be right about lack of movement upfront.  However in the opening post the tactic in question overcrowds the middle and restricts space,

You mention a couple of things in your post.  Firstly possession.  This usually means a lot of support roles crowding the ball, once again compressing space,  You also mention playing on attack (mentality) and that has been known to bring its own problems too, namely forcing the ball forward toward goal and your strikers.  In other words its not always the most subtle way to unlock a team.  Its arguably a transitional style,  You may need a more complex approach to open up teams that have come to defend.

10 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

@Jdn you may be right about lack of movement upfront.  However in the opening post the tactic in question overcrowds the middle and restricts space,

You mention a couple of things in your post.  Firstly possession.  This usually means a lot of support roles crowding the ball, once again compressing space,  You also mention playing on attack (mentality) and that has been known to bring its own problems too, namely forcing the ball forward toward goal and your strikers.  In other words its not always the most subtle way to unlock a team.  Its arguably a transitional style,  You may need a more complex approach to open up teams that have come to defend.

If you're referring to my post I meant attack extremely wide just as extremely wide team shape when attacking and also I have tried everything I can think off, even the most absurd, unconventional and frankly nonsensical when it comes to instructions and roles.

Edited by Jdn

Here's my tactic at the moment.  Its certainly no template and not something I'm sure is right in all places.  It has though got me to the top of Serie B and I'm only putting it up to talk about how I'm thinking about it when talking about it being more complex style it how it breaks down opponents.

1378455218_HellasVerona_Overview.thumb.png.e62ec29e1f773e965fe2413510d710c1.png

Its a build up style tactic from a bottom heavy formation.  I've lowered my defensive line and I play wide to create space.  My playmaker sits deep in room to pivot & switch flanks.  The attacking Mez left drifts out to the left flank and plays like a central winger.  He roams from position but behind him the wing back fills in.  Also the left forward is on support that side to drop in and cover some of that roaming too.  On the right the width comes from an attacking wing back.  The box to box shuttles from central defender to Advanced Fwd, its what that role is supposed to do.

With eight players in the middle, and especially the three in midfield I tend to take spatial control of matches.

I don't think its a set up for counterpressing.  It might be able to counter but instead I hold shape.  I don't mind that anyway seeing that I patiently build from the back, I think those things go hand in hand.

Edited by Robson 07

6 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

Here's my tactic at the moment.  Its certainly no template and not something I'm sure is right in all places.  It has though got me to the top of Serie B and I'm only putting it up to talk about how I'm thinking about it when talking about it being more complex style it how it breaks down opponents.

Its a build up style tactic from a bottom heavy formation.  I've lowered my defensive line and I play wide to create space.  My playmaker sits deep in room to pivot & switch flanks.  The attacking Mez left drifts out to the left flank and plays like a central winger.  He roams from position but behind him the wing back fills in.  Also the left forward is on support that side to drop in and cover some of that roaming too.  On the right the width comes from an attacking wing back.  The box to box shuttles from central defender to Advanced Fwd, its what that role is supposed to do.

With eight players in the middle, and especially the three in midfield I tend to take spatial control of matches.

I don't think its a set up for counterpressing.  It might be able to counter but instead I hold shape.  I don't mind that anyway seeing that I patiently build from the back, I think those things go hand in hand.

Are you scoring goals mostly from crosses? I've used a similar formation but scored predominantly from crosses and wasn't enjoying the style of football.

Edited by Jdn

11 minutes ago, Jdn said:

Are you scoring goals mostly from crosses? I've used a similar formation but scored predominantly from crosses and wasn't enjoying the style of football.

Some but not to the point where I've gone this is monotonous. 

Two things I do like - the Mez really goes well and drifts out wide, possibly cause he has the space to do so.  Also the whole pivot thing, ball come deep to deep lying playmaker and he transfers to the other flank.  Mixed passing probably suits that role.

Main reason for posting was to demonstrate a different way than crowding the area where a no.10 would play as per OP. 

6 hours ago, wooders12 said:

I am after some help to try and correct my formation to get my striker to score goals. I have been having this problem with every team i have managed using this formation. So hopefully on here someone can help. 

I have attached screenshots of my current tactic and set up as well. 

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.06.png

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.22.png

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.29.png

Screenshot 2018-11-12 at 09.25.38.png

I'll try to give you a quick piece of advice as to what you could do to address your issue. 

1. change your AML role to APM on support and your AMC from APM to a simple AM on support (to make your play more diversified and thus harder for the opposition to deal with)

2. swap your CMs around, so that the DLP is on the right and the BtBM on the left

3. change the striker's role/duty to DLFatt (ideally) or PFatt (in case he's not suitable enough for the DLF role), so that he becomes more of an attacking threat while still being involved in build-ups

4. give your left fullback the attack duty (FBatt instead of FBsu)

5. change at least one (if not both) CB's role to a normal central defender (instead of BPD)

6. remove both "Focus play down R/L" instructions (why would you limit your attacking options, except when a specific opponent is clearly vulnerable in a certain area)

Why these changes? First, you'll get a natural overlap on the left through the combination of APM on support and FB on attack, and when the attacking FB arrives in the final third, he'll have a solid number of teammates in the opposition penalty area to aim the crosses at. Second, you now have 2 playmakers but of a different type and controlling play from different areas of the pitch, and - most importantly - both have enough passing options around them, with an occasional opportunity for nice through balls for the players attacking space in more advanced areas (such as DLFatt, IFatt, BtBM and FBatt, but also WBsu, who is a pretty offensive role despite having a support duty).

Btw, for which particular reason have you chosen the "Stay on Feet" instruction?

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I'll try to give you a quick piece of advice as to what you could do to address your issue. 

1. change your AML role to APM on support and your AMC from APM to a simple AM on support (to make your play more diversified and thus harder for the opposition to deal with)

2. swap your CMs around, so that the DLP is on the right and the BtBM on the left

3. change the striker's role/duty to DLFatt (ideally) or PFatt (in case he's not suitable enough for the DLF role), so that he becomes more of an attacking threat while still being involved in build-ups

4. give your left fullback the attack duty (FBatt instead of FBsu)

5. change at least one (if not both) CB's role to a normal central defender (instead of BPD)

6. remove both "Focus play down R/L" instructions (why would you limit your attacking options, except when a specific opponent is clearly vulnerable in a certain area)

Why these changes? First, you'll get a natural overlap on the left through the combination of APM on support and FB on attack, and when the attacking FB arrives in the final third, he'll have a solid number of teammates in the opposition penalty area to aim the crosses at. Second, you now have 2 playmakers but of a different type and controlling play from different areas of the pitch, and - most importantly - both have enough passing options around them, with an occasional opportunity for nice through balls for the players attacking space in more advanced areas (such as DLFatt, IFatt, BtBM and FBatt, but also WBsu, who is a pretty offensive role despite having a support duty).

Btw, for which particular reason have you chosen the "Stay on Feet" instruction?

I have always played "Stay on Feet" with all my tactics i used. Should i change it? 

Edited by wooders12
Spelling Mistake

On 12/11/2018 at 21:03, wooders12 said:

I have always played "Stay on Feet" with all my tactics i used. Should i change it?

I personally don't think it's necessary to use either "Stay on Feet" or "Get Stuck In" as part of a basic tactic, but rather in certain cases when there's a good and logical reason for that. But if you know exactly why you want your players to "stay on feet" all the time, then play that way, why not. My personal preference is to leave tackling team instructions unselected and instead fine-tune tackling via player instructions and/or OIs.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:55, Experienced Defender said:

nice through balls

Ha! I have yet to see a single one of these in FM19.

Edited by Mintah

10 hours ago, Mintah said:

Ha! I have yet to see a single one of these in FM19.

Surely.  ???  Have seen quite a few clean one on ones as a result of through balls.  Not one I agree on.

Regarding 'stay on feet'.  Nothing wrong with that and probably quite sensible if you defend deep.  Helps prevent conceding free kicks in dangerous positions. Whereas 'get stuck in' may help with a gegenpress type of defending for a quick turnover or preventing a counterattack against you.

6 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Surely.  ???  Have seen quite a few clean one on ones as a result of through balls.  Not one I agree on.

One on ones as a result of long balls over the top? Yes.

As a result of a through ball? Not a single one, either by my team or the AI, either vs. me or AI vs. AI. 

12 hours ago, Mintah said:

One on ones as a result of long balls over the top? Yes.

As a result of a through ball? Not a single one, either by my team or the AI, either vs. me or AI vs. AI. 

Have to agree with this. And it doesn't matter if it's a possession based or direct tactic,

The balls over the top look great when they come off and my current tactic it is my main way of scoring. But as I've mentioned on a previous thread. I have yet to see a De Bruyne type pass for an on rushing Ageuro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PwfJkfVr6Q&ab_channel=Football

2:58

This is the kind of goal I have yet to see in the game.

On 12/11/2018 at 15:42, Robson 07 said:

I'm using something very similar in my first PL season with Villa - main difference formation wise is I play a lone striker (Mitrovic) with a Shadow Striker (RLC) behind. I'm winning games and keeping clean sheets, but I cant really get the two I mentioned to perform - any ideas?

45 minutes ago, Banks_87 said:

I'm using something very similar in my first PL season with Villa - main difference formation wise is I play a lone striker (Mitrovic) with a Shadow Striker (RLC) behind. I'm winning games and keeping clean sheets, but I cant really get the two I mentioned to perform - any ideas?

Are you playing them on the same line down the centre, one behind the other?

4 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

Are you playing them on the same line down the centre, one behind the other?

Yes mate 

I'd simply try them left and right as if they were a pair of strikers.  I'd have to experiment with the SS being the left or right side.  Not sure which is most obvious for him.  I may want the striker role to be capable of being the main scorer and someone that could set up the SS as well.  If Mitrovic can play complete forward, happy days I reckon. 

6 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

I'd simply try them left and right as if they were a pair of strikers.  I'd have to experiment with the SS being the left or right side.  Not sure which is most obvious for him.  I may want the striker role to be capable of being the main scorer and someone that could set up the SS as well.  If Mitrovic can play complete forward, happy days I reckon. 

Yep thats what I want, for Mitro to be the main goal threat. Which side would you tihnk the SS should be, my Mez (A) is right and the BBM is left